Moving forward with our Wide Receivers.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
The Breh":lwwylcy3 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kearse disrupt the D backs when Boykin got to Baldwin for his first TD ?
He's one of our biggest vet receivers.
When they don't see a need they cut the fat.

That was number 10 Paul Richardson

McGruff

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":kjy95qc7 said:

On another note,and this is nothing against the OP, but I'm absolutely sick of the term "Moving forward." It's such a redundant phrase that says nothing and is overused so much in business, in every single workplace and now sports. Everyone and their dog, cat and donkey is frigging "moving forward" one way or another. Is anyone dead or alive moving backward?? Whatever happened to the simple but clearly illustrative "in the future" or "next" or just state what the hell your concern is? Rant over.

Thanks for the rant. I'll keep this in mind moving forward.

sutz

Reaction score
:roll: And there will be games when Baldwin is doubled and virtually shut out, and Kearse will get his targets and make his catches. Arguing stats is kind of pointless, and a sign that fantasy football has become far too prevalent.

A

Anonymous

dogorama":36j6pzfg said:
Of all the uninformed comments I have read lately a couple on here should be nominated for worst of the year, if not all-time.

Go back and watch the clutch passes Kearse made in '13. There is NO way we get HFA w/o him. Same in '14 and then after having a bad game in the '14 NFCCG he pulls himself together and catches a TD pass with a defender literally riding his back that sends us to the Super Bowl for the second year in a row! One of the greatest Seahawk catches of all time!

It comes and goes w/him but there will come a time shortly where he will have a killer game and everyone will be talking about what a great receiver he is again. Go ask any Seahawk player who has been on this team for the last three years what they think of Kearse, they will tell you that he has been an indispensable part of the team's success.

There is no denying the impact chop chop has had on this team. I think there are still lung-chip remnants on my TV from that catch against GB.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
peppersjap":1nquotuq said:
The Breh":1nquotuq said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kearse disrupt the D backs when Boykin got to Baldwin for his first TD ?
He never moved! He just stood there. So tired of all the love just because he is local? He has made some great plays for us but there is no way he deserves what he is being paid. He had a couple of catches Sunday, well after the game was decided. He is our #4 WR at best. He was the same way at UW. He made some fantastic plays but had so many drops. We are 3 games in and he has done nothing but what kills me is the play you talk about he seriously did not move.

Maybe that was what the play called for. How do you make the db or Corner lose his mind?.....Stand there. What?? where do I go, do I play corner, man to man, zone???? Help me coach he is standing there.

What if they planned on double teaming him coming out of the back field? But But but he is just standing there and 3 other receivers are running routes....wierd. Just a new wrinkle in time.

The thing is, we have no idea what the result of a play is going to be until it is run. They could have planned this scheme for weeks and just now decided to play it and see what the db would do. A wrinkle that puts some other defensive coordinator to thinking. A delay route that crosses after a specified time? They never know until it happens.

That is ok tho, this is my opinion and I am just a fan......carry on.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":310l7i7c said:
On another note,and this is nothing against the OP, but I'm absolutely sick of the term "Moving forward." It's such a redundant phrase that says nothing and is overused so much in business, in every single workplace and now sports. Everyone and their dog, cat and donkey dead or alive moving backward?? Whatever happened to the simple but clearly illustrative "in the future" or "next" or just state what the hell your concern is? Rant over.
Kind of how I feel about the phrase "chip on his shoulder". It's so ooverused and cliche.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'm confused, did Chop Chop kick a baby fawn, or slap a baby somewhere? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why people continue to attack one of the most clutch receivers in Seahawk history every week? Maybe if I type in all caps someone will explain that to me so I'm no longer confused? that'd be great, thanks.......

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Baldwin 20-27 zero drops
Kearse 9-15 zero drops
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... customize/

They can only catch balls that are thrown to them. Must be Bevell's fault or maybe the D not getting any turnovers or the Oline or.......
Jermaine is not only a local kid that has helped take our Hawks to the pinnacle but one of the ventricles to the heart of this team as we know it.

Back to back NFC championship game winning TD's, what should have been the key catch in a second SB and a Td in the first SB that was absolutely legit yet talked about very little because they were kicking the Broncos tail.

If he never caught another ball for the Hawks I would still put him in the Hawks hall of fame. Quit searching for reasons to bring this team and this reciever down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,008

McGruff

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":vabqqc56 said:
West TX Hawk":vabqqc56 said:
On another note,and this is nothing against the OP, but I'm absolutely sick of the term "Moving forward." It's such a redundant phrase that says nothing and is overused so much in business, in every single workplace and now sports. Everyone and their dog, cat and donkey dead or alive moving backward?? Whatever happened to the simple but clearly illustrative "in the future" or "next" or just state what the hell your concern is? Rant over.
Kind of how I feel about the phrase "chip on his shoulder". It's so ooverused and cliche.
Yeah, I've got a chip on my shoulder about that one too.

McGruff

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . if you made a highlight reel of the 10 most important catches in Seahawk's history, Jermaine Kearse would have 5 of them.

And people act like he's getting paid a lot, but that's because you've lost touch with the new economic reality of the NFL. He's making 4.5 million per yeear on a short, team friendly contract which is essentially a two year deal worth $8.5 million. His salary is 38th among active WR's in the league.

StoneCold

Reaction score
In Sundays' game there were 22 passes caught:

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
D. Baldwin 8 164 1 59
J. Graham 6 100 1 40
A. Collins 2 19 0 10
J. Kearse 2 11 0 9
L. Willson 2 9 0 7
C. Michael 2 5 0 5

Hmm, looks like a good distribution to me. If Kearse gets more, someone is getting less. Who would you like that to be?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
dogorama":2rriu7y3 said:
Of all the uninformed comments I have read lately a couple on here should be nominated for worst of the year, if not all-time.

Can you just say "I disagree and here's why"? You come off as totally confrontational. Is that your intent?

sutz

Reaction score
StoneCold":19zckj3c said:
In Sundays' game there were 22 passes caught:

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
D. Baldwin 8 164 1 59
J. Graham 6 100 1 40
A. Collins 2 19 0 10
J. Kearse 2 11 0 9
L. Willson 2 9 0 7
C. Michael 2 5 0 5

Hmm, looks like a good distribution to me. If Kearse gets more, someone is getting less. Who would you like that to be?
Good numbers. Like I said above, on those days when the D really covers Baldwin to take him out of the game, Kearse is fully capable of picking up the slack.

:229031_shrug:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Maybe the poster wasn't around to watch us rely on Ruvell Martin and bring BMW out of retirement because every receiver on the roster including Seneca Wallace (converted to receiver to try and compensate for all the injuries) was out half the year or on IR.

I won't be remotely surprised when some slam the cap locks about HOW PUTRID OUR TEAM DEPTH IS. Or maybe complain how Bevell is so predictable while ignoring how the ball is getting spread around to keep DC's guessing.

Sorry, I'm not the biggest Kearse fan but to pound the table that he has no value or go as far as to blame the SB loss on him solely, really takes a special kind of CAP'S LOCKS!!!

canfan

Reaction score
titan3131":3tt98kra said:
Kearse isnt worthy of being on our team. The sooner we can move on from him the better, it was a mistake giving him a contract.

I really feel that John and Pete got emotionally attached and didnt think logically about keeping this UDFA who stuck around. Baldwin was the UDFA model you want to parade as the "model" of the seahawks. Not a middling hot and cold WR who might as well be inactive 80% of the time.

I seriously doubt that with millions of dollars riding on every decision that John and Pete got "emotionally attached and didn't think logically". We may or may not agree with their conclusions, but I for one, refuse to believe they don't have a logical explanation or a rational thought process for all of their roster decisions.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Kearse is an important, integral, and almost irreplaceable cog in the greater Seahawks offense. Ignore, for a moment, the absolutely spectacular and game critical catches. Kearse is exactly the receiver we need in that spot, an unselfish, sure-handed receiver who excels at blocking, setting legal picks, and being in tune with Wilson when we need a big play.

He isn't the receiving threat you are going to base your entire passing strategy off of (Baldwin), nor is he the fast, shifty deep threat who opens the top off the defense whenever he is on the field (Lockett/ Richardson). He is the receiver that is going to lull the defense into a false sense of security, and then burn them in critical situations. He always has to be accounted for.

How many receivers are there in the NFL who would be willing to take on that role with the same intensity that Kearse has? No big fantasy stats. No superstardom. Just being the guy who sets up plays for other receivers, and gets a rare opportunity to bail the team out when we need a big play.

On the Boykin TD, he successfully took Brock (CB) out of the play, and actually froze Bethea (S) for a split second. If you watch, you can see Bethea eyeing Kearse after the snap. Half a step faster, and Bethea is probably there to knock Baldwin out of bounds before he hits the end zone.

Perhaps someone could point me to the play where Kearse "stood still." The only one I could find is at 6:03 left in the 3rd, Seahawks up by 24, when Kearse lines up WIDE with Richardson? (about 3-5 yards from the sideline) to decoy on a running play. It works to pull the Bethea and a second DB wide to that side. Kearse takes a step back and stands there (this is a frequent prelude to a pass by the Hawks). The running play is blown up, and even Bethea makes but a half-hearted attempt at trying to cover the 25 plus yards to catch up to the play.

Maybe we should also fire Graham who did pretty much the same thing at 12:23 in the second

Or Tyler Lockett for the same concept at 1:22 in the second.

Maybe we should also fire Baldwin for his play at 11:58 in the second. Similar idea, slightly different execution, he wasn't just standing still, he was running backwards from the play and the line of scrimmage.

Or P. Rich at 14:18 in the 4th on a Boykin scramble.

You might get the idea that this is a central concept to the approach the Hawks take to a gameplan, and not a sign of laziness from Kearse.

Speaking of Richardson he displayed some serious blocking skill in this game. See Michael's first TD for an example.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The play immediately preceding the play with "trash execution." If not for Kearse making this catch, we aren't even in a position to make the next play.

giphy.gif

Giphy

The catch that sent us to that Superb Owl

Seaaa0

Giphy

Giphy

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2gud2uge said:
Kearse is 3rd on the team in receptions behind Baldwin and Graham and is one of the toughest skilled position players on the roster. You want him out there blocking downfield, setting picks, etc and if you really need a play downfield when everyone is covered, you can throw it up there and he wins more often than he doesn't.

What I fail to understand, in any sane way of thinking, is how you want to put Richardson on the field when you need to run the ball and nearly everyone in football has made it clear how that part of our game opens things up for the passing game. Richardson is sort of redundant to Lockett in that he's purely a finesse/speed player. You really only put him on the field in 4 wide. You certainly don't want him out there run blocking and blocking on bubble screens. I realize he's a second round pick and all and it's awesome to have a 94 speed player in madden, but his ceiling really has a lot of limits as it pertains to an overall functional offense. If something happens to Lockett or we go more 4 wide where Graham isn't on the field for some reason....then sure.

If Kearse were to go down, then you'd probably see McEvoy or Williams on the field more to really complete the offense. Richardson is just really limited overall because he lacks strength to a very large degree.

I definitely agree with you about Richardson's blocking; not the best, but speed wise he has a better chance of separation than Kearse. That's all I was trying to say.

Hey, the bottom line here is, if we can win this game and go into the bye week at 3-1, heal up, get Ifedi back, we will be in a good position as we move closer to November.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The Breh":3f6nqk9x said:

That was Paul Richardson.