Motivate Kam with $MONEY$

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I say pay Kam now. Bring the leader of our Defense back. Extend him for 3 more seasons. I think this will get him putting all his heart back into it and bringing the Boom back to the Legion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
"If you pay me more, I will work harder".

These are the exact type people you do NOT want working for you. Not saying Kam is, I'm saying this philosophy is badly flawed.

Personally, I do not believe it would be best to sign Kam to 3 more years beyond 2017, possibly 2 but that would be it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seymour":a3ytrjyp said:

These are the exact type people you do NOT want working for you. Not saying Kam is, I'm saying this philosophy is badly flawed.

Personally, I do not believe it would be best to sign Kam to 3 more years beyond 2017, possibly 2 but that would be it.
You're not without a point, but in the real world, the best people in any profession expect top-notch compensation. A salary-capped professional sport is not exactly a directly comparable analogy, I grant you, however.

Joygazm

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3cfbnlfr said:
Seymour":3cfbnlfr said:

You're not without a point, but in the real world, the best people in any profession expect top-notch compensation. A salary-capped professional sport is not exactly a directly comparable analogy, I grant you, however.

In the real world you are not really able to "Hold Out" for a new contract. If someone has to be paid more to correctly do the job they were hired for in the first place that's their issue, and I will replace them with someone who earns their paycheck. People earn more money in the real world by putting in the work, not by being lazy till you get a raise.

The moment we had to give people extra "Incentives" to do the job they were already hired to do I knew the work force was in trouble. No longer is having a paycheck and being able to provide for your family enough, now I need "Extra" reasons to come into work.

lets avoid getting me started on this young generation and their "Me" days off.

Sorry, small business owner rant.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No reason not to sign him to a 3 year extension, just be sure it is heavily incentive laden with minimal dead cap hit

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Joygazm":25tzft9z said:
RolandDeschain":25tzft9z said:
Seymour":25tzft9z said:

In the real world you are not really able to "Hold Out" for a new contract. If someone has to be paid more to correctly do the job they were hired for in the first place that's their issue, and I will replace them with someone who earns their paycheck. People earn more money in the real world by putting in the work, not by being lazy till you get a raise.

The moment we had to give people extra "Incentives" to do the job they were already hired to do I knew the work force was in trouble. No longer is having a paycheck and being able to provide for your family enough, now I need "Extra" reasons to come into work.

The real-world business analogy you're using is for environments where the employee is reasonably replaceable. Top-level NFL players aren't like "normal" employees, they're the kind of employee that can do things other employees can't. There are a lot of people who can play football, but can they do it better than pretty much anyone else? (I don't know if Chancellor qualifies given his rising age and injury history, but he certainly did previously).

There are people that can do something no one else can do, at least not as good. I know this is true in industries where people design algorithms and chipsets. Sure, there are other engineers that can do those things, but not like the top guys. They get paid a lot more, and if the company doesn't pay them enough they can walk to another company for more money.

kf3339

Reaction score
To me the more relevant question is whether Kam is still at the top of his game, and more importantly as an NFL All Pro SS. To me he is in the upper tier, but not the top 2 or 3 at this point based on age and injury history.

So an extension should not be based on motivation, but what type of deal is realistic that rewards him for his potential performance now, and in the next two or three years.

I agree that a more performance oriented contract is in order, with less guaranteed money is the way to go. Allow him the ability to reach a well earned income range so that he has something to work towards in the contract. But to place too much guaranteed money in it with his injury history and age for the position is just plain stupid. Give him the chance to earn the large check, but make him earn it first.

If that is not acceptable let him play out his current contract and test free agency. To me he is not the safety we need to make sure and keep for the next three to four years. The end of last season proved Earl is the real stud in our secondary.

chris98251

Reaction score
Joygazm":3043b64d said:
RolandDeschain":3043b64d said:
Seymour":3043b64d said:

It is done all the time, people represented by Unions against Employers that abuse them and expect them to work extra hours with no Overtime, no benefits or vacation or family time.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Incentive-based is the way to go IMO - Two years.

Kam is still a solid player. Don't think he can consistently go at it at the level he was 2-3 season ago.

The shelf life of an NFL player at his position is often brief. His expiration date is looming. He'll be sneaking up on 30 come next season.

Having said that, I totally understand him wanting a bigger payday. He knows as well as any how the clock is ticking on his body to be able to perform Sunday to Sunday.

In many ways, he represents the Hawk's defense as a whole - older than their years due to seasons of very tough/aggressive play (bless them for that as it was so fun to watch) who other teams no longer fear as they once did a few seasons ago. There were times last season opposing offenses actually pushed us around rather easily. We looked tired, agitated, and by the end, uncertain.

Team needs some fresh legs and hungry play on both sides of the ball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2vpby3vl said:
Incentive-based is the way to go IMO - Two years.

Kam is still a solid player. Don't think he can consistently go at it at the level he was 2-3 season ago.

The shelf life of an NFL player at his position is often brief. His expiration date is looming. He'll be sneaking up on 30 come next season.

Having said that, I totally understand him wanting a bigger payday. He knows as well as any how the clock is ticking on his body to be able to perform Sunday to Sunday.

In many ways, he represents the Hawk's defense as a whole - older than their years due to seasons of very tough/aggressive play (bless them for that as it was so fun to watch) who other teams no longer fear as they once did a few seasons ago. There were times last season opposing offenses actually pushed us around rather easily. We looked tired, agitated, and by the end, uncertain.

Team needs some fresh legs and hungry play on both sides of the ball.
Is there a such thing as freak injuries all over the place playing a big role in a off year for this team with you?I mean your answer always seems to hint at rebuilding rather than just reloading.at a couple spots.All I can say is I'm so glad none of us have a role in what the team does other than feed them our money somehow.To stay on topic I'd give Kam a nice 2 year cap friendly extension and find his replacement soon to learn from the best,

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
It is really pay me more and I will keep working as hard as I am. Not pay me more and I will work harder. If an employer is happy and still wants said worker's productivity then a raise is in order. In the sports world, because age does matter, the same productivity will not get you the same dollar because it is expected there is going to be diminished returns in the future. I can see Kam still playing at a high level at least two more years.

I'm thinking two year extension for Kam, top tier SS pay. If Kam's play completely falls off a cliff after the 2018 season then cut him.

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2j87buvm said:
It is really pay me more and I will keep working as hard as I am. Not pay me more and I will work harder. If an employer is happy and still wants said worker's productivity then a raise is in order. In the sports world, because age does matter, the same productivity will not get you the same dollar because it is expected there is going to be diminished returns in the future. I can see Kam still playing at a high level at least two more years.

I'm thinking two year extension for Kam, top tier SS pay. If Kam's play completely falls off a cliff after the 2018 season then cut him.

Then that would be just a 1 year extension since he is already signed through 2017. I doubt he takes a 2 year deal and the 2nd year is "team friendly" and would make diminished play easy to just cut with minimal $$ loss to the team.

Kam and the team are in a tough spot with his age and potential injury situation, and Kam wanting to make up for "lost time" of his prime years.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":33a8u5bo said:
seahawkfreak":33a8u5bo said:

Then that would be just a 1 year extension since he is already signed through 2017. I doubt he takes a 2 year deal and the 2nd year is "team friendly" and would make diminished play easy to just cut with minimal $$ loss to the team.

Kam and the team are in a tough spot with his age and potential injury situation, and Kam wanting to make up for "lost time" of his prime years.

True - and the 2015 holdout is likely still a bit of a dark cloud hanging over pending negotiations.

He has 1-2 seasons left in the tank barring injury - which at this point is a 50/50 proposition. Every team with players around the 30 yr. old mark have to deal with this. Nature of the NFL beast.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Joygazm":3xbfwa77 said:

I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world, people that are great at their jobs can absolutely demand more compensation or they'll just walk. Not talking about people being lazy until they get a raise, the discussion was specifically about top-tier people in their respective professions. If you're great at what you do, you always have plenty of options.

Don't pretend that if someone were to increase your salary by a large amount - say, 50% - that you won't work harder. Doesn't mean you were lazy before; but motivating people makes a difference.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think he would be more willing to put his body on the line and play without regard if he was locked up for a few more years. This $ would be a reward for his previous play as well as the leadership and aggressiveness he brings every game.

Kam would step up if payed. If he leaves Seattle I will be very bummer.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kam studies and plays hard regardless. He's lighter and might still be faster than when he was 235. There's no part of his play, healthy or injured, or his workout regimen, that says you need to worry about motivating him. What the cash would do, would keep him here.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":289gir03 said:
Seymour":289gir03 said:

Not saying talent wise he's not the best, plus he's like an on field coach. But to pay someone the best, you have to be available as well. Kam hasn't played a full season in 3 years. It's getting worse and worse. As he gets older, it won't get better.

Kam is my favorite Seahawk. It hurts me to say it, but you can't pay him elite money for 3 years.

edogg23

Reaction score
IMO a player is never more motivated then when they are in the last year of a contract. I think we should use that to our advantage and if it ends up costing us in the end by losing him to free agency then at least we get a likely 3rd round pick and an open spot to start getting younger again on D.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
edogg23":3qw8ki5b said:
IMO a player is never more motivated then when they are in the last year of a contract. I think we should use that to our advantage and if it ends up costing us in the end by losing him to free agency then at least we get a likely 3rd round pick and an open spot to start getting younger again on D.

Great point and one I would think the Front Office is seriously considering.

Get the best from him for one more year and then see what happens.
He gave us some great seasons, but that time appears about up.

Status
Not open for further replies.