Wide reciever help?

BeastModeGang

Reaction score
New to this site. What do you guys think about our wide reciever core? I like Kearse but many people seem to think we should dump him. I feel we need a legit deep threat WR should we take a chance on Josh Gordon or can Lawler become that? I don't want us to use a draft pick on a WR I want to restock on that defense.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not a fan of bringing in Gordon.

I do think we could and should add to the group. There is a lot of possibilities in this draft. Although I am especially keen on seeing how McEvoy evolves this year. But we could still afford to add at least a hedge talent. For both McEvoy's possible failure at elevating his game, or as a successor prospect for the strong possibility that Kearse is not retained in 2018.

A good prospect could relegate Kearse or McEvoy to inactive status should neither prove effective this year.

Currently we have 3 WRs we can really count on. That's not a lot. So there are ample questions surrounding this unit. And there will be strong starter quality in R2/3 in this draft.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Never throw the ball to Jermaine Kearse and 90% of the problems will go away.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Our lack of a fast, big target means that we're not designing a lot of deep crossers into our playbook. Our little guys work hard and I love their clutchy catch stuff, but another big guy to complement Graham would really open things up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've always loved the way Boldin plays, but him being a slot guy, he likely wouldn't fit in. But damn he can really play, has good hands and isn't afraid to take a hit.

Largent80

Reaction score
There are some good ones in the draft flying under the radar because of the defensive picks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Absolutely need WR help. When you break down our depth chart, the word "depth" is a huge stretch.

Last year I was all in favor of bringing Kearse back, but he regressed so much in 2016 that it's hard to really want to put a lot of stock into him being someone you can count on this season.

1. Baldwin - Only reliable WR on the roster
2. Lockett - Good when healthy, has had two injuries in two seasons and is recovering from a major leg injury
3. Kearse - Only on the roster still due to salary
4. Richardson - Showed flashes in the playoffs and rookie year, still has had 2 ACL injuries and hasn't shown an ability to play a full 16 games
5-7. McAvoy/Kasen Williams/Lawler/ - McAvoy had flashes, the other two guys have done nothing at this level.

So yeah.. we have one legit #1 WR and one guy that is pretty damn good when healthy, but hasn't shown full durability yet and FIVE question marks beside that. If you want to throw Jimmy Graham in here, that's obviously another reliable target in the passing game .. but our WR corps are UGLY.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I hope McEvoy can work himself into a bigger role. It would be nice to see them bring in a vet to compete more though. Boldin would be great. He wouldn't have to do much, just a smart vet that is one of the most reliable receiver I have ever watched. The dude is tough.

RussB

Reaction score
I think they need a big boy at reciever. They have good route runners like p rich, baldwin, and lockett. They just need that physical guy that wins jump balls. Someone like mike williams from clemson would be nice but i dont they take him.

penihawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2i5pyk9w said:
penihawk":2i5pyk9w said:
Go get Anquan Boldin

I'd be down with this.

If it was 2012.
Well lets see. Detroit got 67 REC,42 for 1st downs, 584 yds & 8 TDs last year for the bargain price of 1.5 mil. He is a great route runner, great hands and a great team guy. If he would come here I think it would be a great signing at that price even in 2017. :D

TAB420

Reaction score
Remember what just having the ability to go over the top did for us in SB48 ? Harvin's presents caused the D to leave the middle open all day. I would love that back. If Lockett can turn into that deep threat, it will change everything.

nash72

Reaction score
I hope Richardson can stay healthy this season and continue to progress. We do need a big receiver though. I'll never figure out why Matthews was ever let go, especially after his SB performance.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
This guy could play WR, safety, etc. (Teams interchange that role more and more these days)

THROW JIMMY THE BALL!!!

[youtube]DGyLW0rbWuo[/youtube]