"Why Richard Sherman can't let go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":3bjio5q3 said:
Siouxhawk":3bjio5q3 said:
NYCoug":3bjio5q3 said:
Man, Darrell Bevell must be loving this offseason. He went from being undisputed public enemy #1 in Seattle, to public enemy #5, it seems, after Cable, Sherman, Carroll, and Wilson. I'm actually seeing more people "come along" to the idea that "Le Fail" was Wilson's fault for poor execution rather than Bevell's for calling the worst situational play possible. Wow, I didn't think I'd ever see this. I'm shocked.

Obviously joking, but it'd be hilarious if Bevell were behind all of these "leaks" about player turmoil and stuff, just to keep his job safe. I'd get a laugh out of that. I'd laugh just as hard when the fans all turn on him once again after he calls 4 pass plays in a row, all to Luke Willson and Jermaine Kearse, from the 1 yard line in Week 1.
The breakdown of "the play" was about execution, not design. Belichick even says that, according to the ESPN story. And Bevell has command of his position, is one of the league's best at it and ranks as the most successful coach in team history (winning %), so he's far above the juvenile tactics you describe. It's all fan fodder anyway; the powers that be as directors of our team consider it all "outside noise" and part of being in the entertainment industry and stick to their assigned tasks of devising solid gameplans.

Right, which is why I said I was obviously joking. Lighten up about your Bevell, the fates have somehow shifted the scrutiny away from him. You don't know when that might change, so live it up.
If we get adequate line play, that's when the planets will align again for a very deep run through the playoffs. As I said, last year was a struggle, but maybe it will all pay off as Russell perhaps needed a season like that to further develop his pocket awareness due to his lack of mobility. We have a good team all around and although I sure want to enjoy our summer, the fall should be full of anticipation.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":j3ufoall said:
Siouxhawk":j3ufoall said:
NYCoug":j3ufoall said:
Man, Darrell Bevell must be loving this offseason. He went from being undisputed public enemy #1 in Seattle, to public enemy #5, it seems, after Cable, Sherman, Carroll, and Wilson. I'm actually seeing more people "come along" to the idea that "Le Fail" was Wilson's fault for poor execution rather than Bevell's for calling the worst situational play possible. Wow, I didn't think I'd ever see this. I'm shocked.

Obviously joking, but it'd be hilarious if Bevell were behind all of these "leaks" about player turmoil and stuff, just to keep his job safe. I'd get a laugh out of that. I'd laugh just as hard when the fans all turn on him once again after he calls 4 pass plays in a row, all to Luke Willson and Jermaine Kearse, from the 1 yard line in Week 1.
The breakdown of "the play" was about execution, not design. Belichick even says that, according to the ESPN story. And Bevell has command of his position, is one of the league's best at it and ranks as the most successful coach in team history (winning %), so he's far above the juvenile tactics you describe. It's all fan fodder anyway; the powers that be as directors of our team consider it all "outside noise" and part of being in the entertainment industry and stick to their assigned tasks of devising solid gameplans.

Congrats. You managed to bring "The Play" and Bevell into this in one post when nobody was really talking about them. There was literally no reason to defend "your man" here, but somehow you found a way.
Reread the posts and tell me again who introduced what. Direct your responses accordingly.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Nice piece of deep reporting by Wickersham.

If people don't know him, he's very respected as a sports journalist, and he also did the investigative deep dive on the end of the Harbaugh 9ers that everyone rightly thought was so good.

TBF in terms of discord I also thinks there's a fair number of things he could have brought up but didn't bring up. This is far, far, far from the hit job some are making it out to be, IMO.

Wickersham does good work.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":clkbpwaw said:

If people don't know him, he's very respected as a sports journalist, and he also did the investigative deep dive on the end of the Harbaugh 9ers that everyone rightly thought was so good.

TBF in terms of discord I also thinks there's a fair number of things he could have brought up but didn't bring up. This is far, far, far from the hit job some are making it out to be, IMO.

His flair and writing style are impressive, sure, but the substance of the story is full of inuendo and anonymous sources. Pretty flimsy if you ask me. It's sensational journalism TMZ style that exacerbates a very small dynamic in our locker room that is no different than a dozen locker rooms across the NFL landscape.

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
The second I read this article I thought about Sherman and Wilson singing together arm and arm after the NFC Championship game, and they seem pretty okay to me. Then the article states that Sherman was jealous that Wilson got to stand on the podium after the Super Bowl, which seems like a ridiculous statement as I don't know how many people can be that bitter after accomplishing such a major achievement and if he can find a way to be bitter during such a high achievement than he has issues but it didn't seem to impact the team considering they went to the Super Bowl the next year. Article is taking small pieces and sprinkling in some drama to create headlines and considering the Seahawks well known rift with the media it makes the article seem more credible than it would for another teamIMG 3263

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1lu9my3w said:

He provides one example of a training camp dust up that happened the year before the Super Bowl. The rest is a correlation he's trying to make to support his story line. Others could take it and go the other way.

This isn't factual journalism... it's a thesis paper. Even if his hypothesis "players resent superstar QB with big salary" is true... well "duh"... that's life on most NFL teams. Only legs to this story is Shermans voice (which has served Seattles benefit in the past), Carrol taking too long to reign it in and a slow sports cycle. This is gone as soon as the NBA finals tip off.

But he's got ESPNs front page on the slowest sports day of the year... and 9er fans chomping at the bit to pick at unsettled Hawks fans.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Maybe Sherman is calling out Wilson right now to try and unleash the inner beast in Wilson. Personally I like the fact that when Sherman picks off Wilson in practice he tells him that he sucks. If Petes not pushing him with critism someone on the team needs to. Sherman is the perfect guy for it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Steve2222":eaf2wogk said:
Maybe Sherman is calling out Wilson right now to try and unleash the inner beast in Wilson. Personally I like the fact that when Sherman picks off Wilson in practice he tells him that he sucks. If Petes not pushing him with critism someone on the team needs to. Sherman is the perfect guy for it.

He's not calling him out though. He's literally not said anything about Wilson. And outside one story about practice in 2014 there is nothing but supposition regarding Shermans very public displays of dissatisfaction with play calling.

Remember when that was supposed to be about Bevell? Now some guy says it's really about Wilson. This isn't "deep" reporting. It's connecting dots out of order to create his own picture. (For all you who remember Connect the Dots)

Steve2222

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33hgcpuv said:
Steve2222":33hgcpuv said:

He's not calling him out though. He's literally not said anything about Wilson. And outside one story about practice in 2014 there is nothing but supposition regarding Shermans very public displays of dissatisfaction with play calling.

Remember when that was supposed to be about Bevell? Now some guy says it's really about Wilson. This isn't "deep" reporting. It's connecting dots out of order to create his own picture. (For all you who remember Connect the Dots)

I'm going with the assumption this story is true. It might not be a bad thing for Sherman to try and ruffle Wilsons feathers.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Sherman defenders remind me of those parents whose children are constantly causing trouble but it's always someone else's fault. The teachers are picking on them, it's the other kids fault, etc.etc.
In this case it's the reporter's are picking on them, its Wilson's fault, it's the coaches fault, etc. Etc.
If there wasn't a problem people wouldn't be talking and Sherman WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN BEING SHOPPED.
And excuse me if I don't take Sherman at his word when he denies this and says it's made up since he already has shown himself to be a liar when confronted about his behavior.

RussB

Reaction score
Not really surprising, ive been getting this type of notion from sherman for a while now. Hes still my favorite seahawk though just needs to leave that in the past and move on. It happened, its over, just deal with it and try to get another ring while the window is open. Sherman's pride is too big like baldwin said.

A

Anonymous

Meh.

Slow news day.

That fact dude's tweet said his office all gave him him high fives means the rest of them are reachers too.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2z37edjf said:
Steve2222":2z37edjf said:

Disagree. Maybe not publicly, but this is semantics IMO because he sure as heck is trying....

"Guys want Pete to call out Russ in front of the team," Smith says. "That's not what Pete does. Pete will single out a guy, but he does it the right way."

"He's always looking at what other people are doing. He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."
A Seahawks coach who has had many talks with Sherman

Steve2222

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3o485zye said:
The Sherman defenders remind me of those parents whose children are constantly causing trouble but it's always someone else's fault. The teachers are picking on them, it's the other kids fault, etc.etc.
In this case it's the reporter's are picking on them, its Wilson's fault, it's the coaches fault, etc. Etc.
If there wasn't a problem people wouldn't be talking and Sherman WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN BEING SHOPPED.
And excuse me if I don't take Sherman at his word when he denies this and says it's made up since he already has shown himself to be a liar when confronted about his behavior.

Not defending him, just trying to find positive in him calling out Wilson. Also, I think Wilson is the best and most important player on the team.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":axgi9z70 said:
Are we forgetting that 10 points lead Russ gave the defense at the SB in the 4th QT?

Sherman, Earl, Wagner are all paid like an all everything defense. They get paid more than the Offense, but you put all the blame on Russell?

When you look at the games that cost us going further to the playoffs most of the blame goes to the defense.

The defense cost us Cardinals game a 2nd seed this year.
The defense cost us the Panthers game year before.
They defense cost us 2 Falcons games in the playoffs.

Why is Russ to blame?

I've wondered the same thing? Maybe Sherm should be calling out all the DL and LB who sucked, once Avrill went down in the SB.

Aircrew

Reaction score
While we can't fully understand what goes on in the locker room without being in it, I have a feeling that the rift is real but the cause is misunderstood. What I mean is, I don't think XLIX is why there is a contingent of players in Seattle that don't like Russell. It's my opinion that the Type A personalities on the team, particularly on Defense, don't respect Russell as a leader because of his personality and leadership style. I've been around guys like Russell, or what I percieve he's like since we only know the public version of him, in both the military and in commercial diving. Russell acts like a politician and seems to be more focused on his public image and who the media thinks he is rather than responsibly charting a championship course for his team. Sure, Russell wants to win Superbowls just like everybody else, but he presents himself as someone who has more than one priority. I think he's positioned himself to win, so to speak, even if the team doesn't and the players see it. I can speak from experience that when your positional "leader" is someone like that, the followers won't follow and they will then turn to the real leader in the group for direction. As it pertains to this situation, that leader is Richard Sherman and what we're publicly seeing is a reflection of it. I think Russell Wilson has a weak personality and a weak leadership style that has predictably resulted in a feeling of resentment within a group of players that don't respect him. I've lived that situation more than once and everything I've seen in the media and heard back channel remind me of it. I hope I'm wrong and/or Russell changes his appproach to leadership before it's too late.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":114ucon7 said:
Uncle Si":114ucon7 said:
Steve2222":114ucon7 said:

Disagree. Maybe not publicly, but this is semantics IMO because he sure as heck is trying....

"Guys want Pete to call out Russ in front of the team," Smith says. "That's not what Pete does. Pete will single out a guy, but he does it the right way."

"He's always looking at what other people are doing. He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."
A Seahawks coach who has had many talks with Sherman

Not publicly is not semantics for "privately". The rest of these quotes are speculative nonsense.

Last time this issue was brought up it was about Bevell. No one really bit so now it's about Wilson? And of course Wilson is out in front of the team. He's the QB. Look around the league.

Shermans issues are as his own.

You look for smoke long enough your eyes will get blurry enough to see it

Seymour

Reaction score
Aircrew":37y5k045 said:
While we can't fully understand what goes on in the locker room without being in it, I have a feeling that the rift is real but the cause is misunderstood. What I mean is, I don't think XLIX is why there is a contingent of players in Seattle that don't like Russell. It's my opinion that the Type A personalities on the team, particularly on Defense, don't respect Russell as a leader because of his personality and leadership style. I've been around guys like Russell, or what I percieve he's like since we only know the public version of him, in both the military and in commercial diving. Russell acts like a politician and seems to be more focused on his public image and who the media thinks he is rather than responsibly charting a championship course for his team. Sure, Russell wants to win Superbowls just like everybody else, but he presents himself as someone who has more than one priority. I think he's positioned himself to win, so to speak, even if the team doesn't and the players see it. I can speak from experience that when your positional "leader" is someone like that, the followers won't follow and they will then turn to the real leader in the group for direction. As it pertains to this situation, that leader is Richard Sherman and what we're publicly seeing is a reflection of it. I think Russell Wilson has a weak personality and a weak leadership style that has predictably resulted in a feeling of resentment within a group of players that don't respect him. I've lived that situation more than once and everything I've seen in the media and heard back channel remind me of it. I hope I'm wrong and/or Russell changes his appproach to leadership before it's too late.

That is a very interesting perspective. I can see how that could be possible. so I won't argue against it.

I do not agree with all of it, but very good post none the less.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":17xasuu2 said:
Sports Hernia":17xasuu2 said:
Awesome, I just wish OTHERS (especially our TMZ style sports media) as well would "shut up"....... and as you say, it is as simple as that.

Expect to stay disappointed, that is never going to happen. Too much $$ in the business, and the NFL's push to keep it's fans engaged 12 months a year will assure it doesn't. Combine that with Pete looking for driven players with chips on their shoulders, having a consistent top 10 team and you have the prefect storm. Better get used to it.
I beg to differ. Once the camp starts "this noise" with go away as there will be other things to talk about, much to the local sports media's dismay.

Jville

Reaction score
Aircrew":3z8t6sqx said:

LOL .... that's nonsense. No defensive player runs an offense. Sherman isn't included in any of Seattle's offensive personal groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.