NFL Eternal Red Zone

12HawkFan

Reaction score
I just got done watching a show on the NFL Network called Red Zone Extreme I believe. (edit, it is called "Eternal RedZone)

This weeks episode was about Marshawn Lynch's career so far in the NFL.

Some things I took out of this:

If the Hawks ever made a better trade for a player, team to team for someone already in the NFL, I don't know who it could possibly have been.

What we gave up to get Marshawn was nothing short of highway robbery in hind sight.

What we got for him going to the Raiders may be seen as giving away the golden goose for nothing if he has a banner year, and behind a good line I think anything may be possible, even MVP if he can stay healthy. The bad part about not building escalation clauses into his trade agreement baffles me, it costs nothing to either team but the cost of the ink on the paper if he struggles or comes out like of other running backs his age.

I was at the first Beast Quake game and man did this show bring back some really great feelings.

Watching the end of SB49 and seeing Marshawn just grinning and shaking his head after the INT at the end of the game still kicks me in the gut. WHAT IF!!!

Lastly, the New England Patriots should send the Hawks a great big thank you card every year on the anniversary of SB49 because the Hawks gave them that game, they didn't earn it.

I couldn't find it in my Comcast future shows but I am sure it will run again, DVR it if you can, it's a classic.

GO HAWKS!!!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Lynch only came out of retirement to play for the Raiders before they move to Las Vegas. We didn't give away the golden goose - the goose wasn't going to lay any more golden eggs for us in any case.

themunn

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1szfmaxu said:
If the Hawks ever made a better trade for a player, team to team for someone already in the NFL, I don't know who it could possibly have been.

Does Largent count? Or do you mean players to have played a down? Otherwise agreed, though getting a 10 year starting QB in Hasselbeck for a 6th cuts it tight.

Can't think of too many more super successful trades, Clemons springs to mind but that's nowhere near the level of the three above.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
John Randle's in the HOF, Beast is a question mark in that regard. Hard to argue against John as the best trade we ever made (I wouldn't).

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1kydfwya said:
John Randle's in the HOF, Beast is a question mark in that regard. Hard to argue against John as the best trade we ever made (I wouldn't).
But Randle only gave us two excellent seasons.

Largent was traded to us from the Oilers for a low draft pick so that has to be the best trade in Hawks history.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":524qdmys said:
c_hawkbob":524qdmys said:

Largent was traded to us from the Oilers for a low draft pick so that has to be the best trade in Hawks history.

I agree Largent has been the best trade hands down. It isn't even close by any individual measure you choose to use.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":38pkblua said:
c_hawkbob":38pkblua said:

Agreed. piggybacking on the previous poster's question I was going with players that had played. Should have clarified, my bad.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Each, Largent and Lynch gave the Hawks an idenity in their era of play. But I lean toward Largent because I was around back then and old guys like me get nostalgic. But Lynch is very, very close.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I love Beast Mode, but anyone who thinks he's going to do for the Raiders what he did for us is downright delusional. Marshawn is a power back who is 31. He was only 24 when he got here, and her ran for over 6,000 yards while he was here. If Lynch breaks 800 yards this season I will be stunned.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Maulbert":2xduddsc said:
I love Beast Mode, but anyone who thinks he's going to do for the Raiders what he did for us is downright delusional. Marshawn is a power back who is 31. He was only 24 when he got here, and her ran for over 6,000 yards while he was here. If Lynch breaks 800 yards this season I will be stunned.

Yep. I think Marshawn is going to be more fizzle than sizzle in Oakland. At his age, with the wear and tear on his frame, taking off a year from the sport... not a good recipe.

He will be good, but not Beastly. He really started to look ordinary his last season with us. Of course, the line didn't help.

OP
OP
12HawkFan

12HawkFan

Reaction score
It is actually called "Eternal RedZone"

It will replay at 7:30pm PST TONIGHT on the NFL Network.

It's worth the watch and DVR it if you can.

GO HAWKS!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think a lot of you guys are misinterpreting the effects of wear and tear on Marshawn. Your typical power back braces for impact a lot of the time when he sees it inevitably coming. Marshawn doesn't. I think he'll still be surprisingly effective.

Mark my words: He'll break a thousand yards as long as he plays all 16 games.

Here, I'll throw out an analogy to demonstrate my point. If I hit you with a wooden stick across your hand hard enough to break the stick, it'll hurt a hell of a lot more than if you do a punch or chopping gesture to break the stick of your own free will; but the stick breaks either way.

Marshawn was ALWAYS punishing people who came near him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just watched it tonight. Was a Lynch/Seahawks love fest. Awesome.

Well, until the end where of course they just HAD to focus and end on the final play of XLIX.

It wasn't a play that Lynch was a part of, even though the entire show was about Lynch.

Ahhh, I see what you did there producers. :roll:

HawkGA

Reaction score
themunn":309rrd0p said:
12HawkFan":309rrd0p said:

Does Largent count? Or do you mean players to have played a down? Otherwise agreed, though getting a 10 year starting QB in Hasselbeck for a 6th cuts it tight.

Can't think of too many more super successful trades, Clemons springs to mind but that's nowhere near the level of the three above.

Didn't the Hass trade involve a swap of first rounders too, or something like that?

OP
OP
12HawkFan

12HawkFan

Reaction score
I thought of Largent as well but I can't find any records he played for another NFL team in any regular season game, that's why I overlooked him in my statement about Marshawn. He came from Houston I think but never played in a regular season game while there, at least according to NFL records.

Concerning Hass, I know he was a direct trade from Greenbay but I think we can all agree that his first few years at QB were pretty tough stuff to watch at times. At the end, I could not have been prouder of any player ever being a Seahawk of that current team. He played what IMO was his best ever deep passing game of his career in the Playoff win against the Saints that we all remember for BEAST QUAKE.

From the day Marshawn suited up as a Seahawk, he brought a swagger and toughness to the offense that quite frankly we just didn't have before then, unless you go back to the Walt, Hutch, Tobeck and Co. offensive unit.

I just thought with a year off to heal up and recharge he may turn out to not be your "average" 31 year old NFL running back and that to build escalation clauses into his trade agreement would have been a no brainer, it simply costs the price of the ink on the paper if he doesn't have a banner year and if he does, we deserve to get more as the Hawks could have asked for what 4-5 million back that they were entitled to, but didn't.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":13rgxq1f said:
I think a lot of you guys are misinterpreting the effects of wear and tear on Marshawn. Your typical power back braces for impact a lot of the time when he sees it inevitably coming. Marshawn doesn't. I think he'll still be surprisingly effective.

Mark my words: He'll break a thousand yards as long as he plays all 16 games.

Here, I'll throw out an analogy to demonstrate my point. If I hit you with a wooden stick across your hand hard enough to break the stick, it'll hurt a hell of a lot more than if you do a punch or chopping gesture to break the stick of your own free will; but the stick breaks either way.

Marshawn was ALWAYS punishing people who came near him.

I'd actually love to see this, Oakland certainly deserves it.

But how many times in the history of the NFL has a player come out of retirement to be anywhere near an elite player?

Lynch was dinged up and injured when he retired, my guess is he'll come out of the gates as his usual Beastmode self..............then start to wear down with nagging injuries as he did here two years ago.

Good side question, what will constitute Lynch being a "success" in Oakland this year? IMO 600-700 yards with a couple huge Beastmode type runs to give the Raider fans something to remember Lynch wearing their uniform would be a success.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Pretty sure "success" for the Raiders will be defined as seats they sell that they otherwise wouldn't have because they are moving.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1pjb1r04 said:
Pretty sure "success" for the Raiders will be defined as seats they sell that they otherwise wouldn't have because they are moving.

I was asking success for Lynch, not the Raiders.

Seymour

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Lynch pulls all the pre game drama with getting lose, puking in garbage cans, no--not ready yet- back to bike...ect that he did here the last few seasons. Also, not going to locker room at half, or leaving early before game is over. I doubt they let him get away with that crap there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hopefully he has great stats, and they lose every game they play. Unless of course they are playing someone in the NFC.