Injury prevention conditioning

SeaChat

Reaction score
I read that Russell is on a new diet and training regiment this season, with a focus on weight loss and increased speed and agility. AMEN....

I took note at the begining of last season that a number of our players were coming in a lot heavier, looking slow, and thought at first that maybe they all just got lazy in the offseason and put on some pounds, but as the season progressed I saw them getting even heavier and slower.

I started doing some investigating to see if I could figure out what was going on. I saw that Seahawk powers that be, had hired a new Injury Prevention Conditioning group, who's philosophy was almost a total opposite from their predicessors and from most every other crew of it's kind in the industry.

It wasn't long into the season and we started to reap the rewards of this new IPC practices, One player after another going down and out with similar injuries, high ankle sprains, broken legs, shoulder injuries, Players who for years had been almost bullet proof on the field, through high school, college and the pros were getting injured right and left and the simularity of these injuries from player to player were uncanny.

I don't, to this day, understand why the Seahawks decided to move on from a IPC that had been with them for some time and who had managed to keep most of our key players on the field and healthy through several seasons. Maybe the old crew got greedy and asked for too much money to stay on, or maybe the new group had some ties to the higher ups and were brought in with a little home town persuasion.

Whatever the reasoning was I think the Seahawks need to revist that decision if they haven't already and either try and recruite the former crew, or at very least replace the one they hired in place of that one. I don't see anything productive comeing from trying to hold on to an obvious failure in last years crew and the practices and philosophy they implemented with our players.

I'm hoping this "new" diet and training regiment that Russell is refering to is something that is available to all our players and not just to him. If there is new direction in injury prevention conditioning for the Seahawks team as a whole this year and it is geared toward diet, establishing your optimum playing weight, increased speed and agility and heavy emphasis on isometric exercises, then I see us getting back to the Super Bowl this year.

unless your sport is weight lifting, weight training should be a very limited and only a minor part of your conditioning regiment. Primarily depending on wieights will only bulk you up and slow you down, reducing true muscle strength, and joint flexibility, and actually learned evidences support the prospects of increases in your chances of bone breakage and other similar injuries.

Isometrics has been a long proven exercise and conditioning philosophy and practice that promotes increased power, speed, flexibility and in turn increased resistance to bone breakage and joint damage. I'm no expert in professional sports conditioning, I spent a lot of years of my life participating and then coaching in a sport that requires extreme physical conditioning and resistance to broken bones, torn ligaments, strained, sprained, joints, and ability to absorb incredible physical punishment to your body over a prolonged period of time in an event.

"Isometric exercise or isometrics are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction (compared to concentric or eccentric contractions, called dynamic/isotonic movements). Isometrics are done in static positions, rather than being dynamic through a range of motion. In an overcoming isometric, the joint and muscle work against an immovable object. In contrast, in a yielding isometric, the joint and muscle are held in a static position while opposed by resistance.

In the context of the bench press, an example of a yielding isometric would be holding the bar at a given place even though it could be pressed higher, and an overcoming isometric would be pressing the bar up into the safety guards of a squat cage that prevent pushing the bar any higher.

The distinction is that in a yielding isometric, one is pressing roughly the exact amount of pressure needed to negate the resistance, neither dropping or lifting it. Whereas in an overcoming isometric, one can be exerting more force and simply unable to move it. The yielding wavers slightly into concentric and eccentric actions due to inexact control, whereas the overcoming isometric is more purely isometric and can involve more variation in the force used, since one can press harder without the bar moving.

Unweighted
In overcoming isometrics, subjects can safely do 100 percent effort, and continue with 100 percent available effort as strength is depleted, allowing longer time under (maximum volitional) tension.[citation needed]

Weighted
Yielding isometrics allow measurable progress. Free-weight enthusiasts tend to believe the "back pressure" of real weight is superior for building strength, possibly triggering a productive "fight or flight" response.[citation needed] However, the extremely heavy weights needed by advanced subjects can be an inconvenience, and present a risk of injury.

An isometric exercise is a form of exercise involving the static contraction of a muscle without any visible movement in the angle of the joint. The term "isometric" combines the Greek words "Isos" (equal) and "metria" (measuring), meaning that in these exercises the length of the muscle and the angle of the joint do not change, though contraction strength may be varied.[2] This is in contrast to isotonic contractions, in which the contraction strength does not change, though the muscle length and joint angle do.

A slightly boring read but I think most coaches of athletes will agree that using isometric, combined with limited weight training and the rifght diet can produce injury resistant athletes, who are faster, more agile and have more stamina that any other approach to those ends. Any coach that would argue that is coaching a losing team.

ACFan

Reaction score
cool info,

But the best injury prevention for Wilson is going to be a run game that can pound the rock and a line that can protect.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ACFan":47s1d5jr said:
cool info,

But the best injury prevention for Wilson is going to be a run game that can pound the rock and a line that can protect.

While those are valuable, of course, quarterbacks don't stay in the pocket for every play. Wilson does so even less. The read-option has always been a staple of this offense, and that requires Wilson to be able to run. I think it's pretty smart for him to be getting back down to his 2015 weight.

It's worth noting that his major 2016 injury happened on a rollout.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Meh, theres no diet in the world that can help when a 350 pound man steps on your ankle. Or when your slowed from said ankle injury and pulled down awkward spraining you rknee.

Also no such thing to help with the fluky broken leg for ET. etc.

These guys are all highly tuned machines. your over thinking it.

sutz

Reaction score
Grammar Nazi alert.

A "regiment" is a military unit of about 2-3000 troops, that train and operate together as a unit.

reg·i·ment
noun
ˈrejəmənt/Submit
a permanent unit of an army typically commanded by a colonel and divided into several companies, squadrons, or batteries and often into two battalions.
"two or three miles inland a highly experienced artillery regiment had established a defensive position"
synonyms: unit, outfit, force, corps, division, brigade, battalion, squadron, company, platoon
"the regiment was fighting in Europe"
archaic
rule or government over a person, people, or country.
"the powers of ecclesiastical regiment which none but the Church should wield"
verb
ˈrejəmənt/Submit
organize according to a strict, sometimes oppressive system or pattern.
"every aspect of their life is strictly regimented"
synonyms: organize, order, systematize, control, regulate, manage, discipline
"their life is strictly regimented"
rare
form (troops) into a regiment or regiments.

A training "regimen" is a schedule of excercises and activities to prepare someone for future contests and events.

reg·i·men
ˈrejəmən/Submit
noun
a prescribed course of medical treatment, way of life, or diet for the promotion or restoration of health.
"a regimen of one or two injections per day"
archaic
a system of government.
;)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":bpiz3z3s said:

I think this more likely. Although I've not seen any real established link between weight training/size as it relates to being able to endure more punishment.

We have however seen how excess weight and mass can result in greater likelihood for ligament injuries. Now we didn't incur that injury a lot last year. Possible we were just lucky.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3s1etzm1 said:
Meh, theres no diet in the world that can help when a 350 pound man steps on your ankle. Or when your slowed from said ankle injury and pulled down awkward spraining you rknee.

Yep. The really only useful injury prevention tool is a boatload of dynamic stretching.

Long story short any professional football player who isn't doing yoga or some variant on it every day is simply doing it wrong.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":158556nh said:
The injury Wilson sustained is the exact reason for the banning of the horsecollar tackle. Unfortunately, it only costs a 15-yard penalty to potentially sideline a team's QB. Pretty sure several NFL head coaches would say "worth it".

Seanhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2givtdws said:

Also no such thing to help with the fluky broken leg for ET. etc.

Don't forget Lockett's fluky broken leg.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
gowazzu02":ncq6z47r said:
Or when your slowed from said ankle injury and pulled down awkward spraining you rknee.

He was slow in the preseason.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24c2wg4p said:
gowazzu02":24c2wg4p said:
Or when your slowed from said ankle injury and pulled down awkward spraining you rknee.

That he was.

Much slower in fact. The "bulk up" experiment was a disaster for him.

Without his wheels RW is a middling at best QB. That's why his longer term outlook is suspect. If he remains healthy (and that's a big if in this league) he has 3-4 legit seasons left to pick up another ring. After that, he is going to struggle to keep that speed fat or not, and he just doesn't have the game to be Tom Brady @ 40 and still dominant QB.

It's nice to see he's listened to me and realized that.

We might have a decent season coming up after all.

Go Hawks!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
semiahmoo":f314szi0 said:
MontanaHawk05":f314szi0 said:
gowazzu02":f314szi0 said:

That he was.

Much slower in fact. The "bulk up" experiment was a disaster for him.

Without his wheels RW is a middling at best QB. That's why his longer term outlook is suspect. If he remains healthy (and that's a big if in this league) he has 3-4 legit seasons left to pick up another ring. After that, he is going to struggle to keep that speed fat or not, and he just doesn't have the game to be Tom Brady @ 40 and still dominant QB.

It's nice to see he's listened to me and realized that.

We might have a decent season coming up after all.

Go Hawks!

Really? Do you have any evidence of this at all? Cause I think your reaching. He was healthy for exactly ONE half of football all year. Suh stepped on him the first drive of the second half of game 1.

Your crazy.