Richard Sherman: Players need to be willing to strike

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":1eitlyx9 said:
Should salaries be determined by how much the business owners make?

IDK.

I DO KNOW THIS.
The people that care for the elderly and disabled 24/7 should make more than they do.

Our teachers in the public school system should make more than they do.

Our law enforcement officers should make more than they do.

The people we call to save our lives/ property should make more than they do.

This will create an argument, I know it will because it has many times here @.Net.

I make 22.50 per hour, and I have to work approx 3300 hours a year to make what I consider a livable wage.

I get it, I chose my path but how much would I be worth if your child stopped breathing?
How much would you pay a firefighter if you wife was still inside while you were on the sidewalk?

How many people do you know that can't afford to take their son to a football game?

I get it, at least I think I do.
But I have a hard time feeling sorry for, or supporting a guy that make more per week than I do per year, I guy that makes more in one year than I will in my lifetime.

I love my Seahawks and I hope every one of them gets all they can get but I think our society in general is messed up.

If you don't agree, take a look at where we spend our money, look at what we place value in.
We think it's ok for an athlete to make 228 million for 4 years.

We also think it's ok, for a teacher to make 40k a year, or a police officer to make 27-60k per year.

Football players on strike, ok.

What if our truck drivers went on a real strike?

What if our grocery workers went on strike?

It's my opinion that people that make under 75k a year is what keeps our country and life style alive.

Oh no,where would we be, what would happen if....

MLB
NFL
NBA
All went on strike and refused to play?

I wish this was the Shack so I could cuss.

Edit: What if our Farmers and Ranchers all demanded 50 million a year, and refused to work if they didn't get it?
One thing is for certain,their families would still eat.
Would yours?

Mine would eat because I know how to Grow and hunt and protect, the country would look like the great depression with food lines, violent crime would be at a all time high as people would take what they needed from the people that had something, this is really a bad example since your not dealing with a luxury but a necessity, last I heard food is important. You could not import enough fast enough to supply the demand, with our new position in the world looking less favorable countries that were alliances may not be willing to send relief as readily as before. Again I don't see how Professional Sports versus Farming can be comparable. A better comparison may be the Movie and Television industry since it is also a luxury we take for granted but really don't have to have.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3tytr9f2 said:
Seahaaaawks":3tytr9f2 said:
pmedic920":3tytr9f2 said:
IDK.
I DO KNOW THIS.
The people that care for the elderly and disabled 24/7 should make more than they do.
This will create an argument, I know it will because it has many times here @.Net.
I make 22.50 per hour, and I have to work approx 3300 hours a year to make what I consider a livable wage.
I get it, I chose my path but how much would I be worth if your child stopped breathing?
How much would you pay a firefighter if you wife was still inside while you were on the sidewalk?
How many people do you know that can't afford to take their son to a football game?
But I have a hard time feeling sorry for, or supporting a guy that make more per week than I do per year, I guy that makes more in one year than I will in my lifetime.
I love my Seahawks and I hope every one of them gets all they can get but I think our society in general is messed up.
If you don't agree, take a look at where we spend our money, look at what we place value in.
We also think it's ok, for a teacher to make 40k a year, or a police officer to make 27-60k per year.
It's my opinion that people that make under 75k a year is what keeps our country and life style alive.

MLB
NFL
NBA
Edit: What if our Farmers and Ranchers all demanded 50 million a year, and refused to work if they didn't get it?
Would yours?
Dude... 100% spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself. My company profited some crazy amount like 15 billion last year. We got a candy bar wrapped in a wrapper that said thank you on it. So I don't wanna hear it when they say they want more millions. When is more ever good enough? I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 1 million dollars... but 30, 40, 50 million? And it's still not enough? Please... it's way out of hand. Everyone is so worried what other players are making instead of focusing on themselves, being thankful for what they have, and remembering where they came from.

See, this is the issue: Instead of thinking, "Why don't I get more from my company for the value that I helped create," you think, "I didn't get as much money as I should have gotten from my company, so football players shouldn't either."

No, you're both workers and you both generate profits. You both should be eating better than you are. Just because Sherm makes 10M a year and you make 60K a year doesn't mean that you both probably deserve to be compensated more for your labor.
Honestly, if farmers and ranchers want to hold out, they can. In fact, they do, because farmers often vote for whomever will give them subsidies to farm. Frankly, if farmers held out, they would get crushed by competition from other countries. What they do can be duplicated by farmers in Mexico or Peru or Canada. What Richard Sherman does can only be duplicated by like five other guys. That's why Sherm is worth 50M and a corn farmer in Iowa isn't worth nearly that much.

If some of you guys are against market forces being the major determinant of value, that's fine. Just say that this is what you believe and share what sort of planned economy that you prefer over a free market economy. Me, I think that when it comes to pro sports, the free market is the best determinant of value. I'm totally against salary caps of any type. All they do is keep players from getting fair value for their labor. That's why I'm also in favor of programs that allow all workers to get the highest value for their labor possible (such as a baseline universal income that would allow people to negotiate for wages for their labor without worrying about having to take a crappy job to eat or put a roof over their heads), but now we're getting too political.

However, I reject the idea that just because you don't think that you get fair value for your labor, other people should just shut up and be happy with their lot even if they're also not getting fair value for their labor.
Perfectly stated. I relate to the players (not in skills or pay) but in being an employee who works hard for a company that makes record profits year after year, but only receives minimal pay/bonuses (if any) while the people at the top take home millions. I know the situations aren't exactly the same, but I understand the player (employees) wanting their fair share and I hope they get as much as they can.
I never understand why the fans seem to always side with the Billionaire owners when questions of $$ come up.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1jyrqpzb said:
Seahaaaawks":1jyrqpzb said:
pmedic920":1jyrqpzb said:

IDK.

I DO KNOW THIS.

MLB
NFL
NBA

Would yours?

Dude... 100% spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself. My company profited some crazy amount like 15 billion last year. We got a candy bar wrapped in a wrapper that said thank you on it. So I don't wanna hear it when they say they want more millions. When is more ever good enough? I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 1 million dollars... but 30, 40, 50 million? And it's still not enough? Please... it's way out of hand. Everyone is so worried what other players are making instead of focusing on themselves, being thankful for what they have, and remembering where they came from.

See, this is the issue: Instead of thinking, "Why don't I get more from my company for the value that I helped create," you think, "I didn't get as much money as I should have gotten from my company, so football players shouldn't either."

No, you're both workers and you both generate profits. You both should be eating better than you are. Just because Sherm makes 10M a year and you make 60K a year doesn't mean that you both probably deserve to be compensated more for your labor.

Honestly, if farmers and ranchers want to hold out, they can. In fact, they do, because farmers often vote for whomever will give them subsidies to farm. Frankly, if farmers held out, they would get crushed by competition from other countries. What they do can be duplicated by farmers in Mexico or Peru or Canada. What Richard Sherman does can only be duplicated by like five other guys. That's why Sherm is worth 50M and a corn farmer in Iowa isn't worth nearly that much.

If some of you guys are against market forces being the major determinant of value, that's fine. Just say that this is what you believe and share what sort of planned economy that you prefer over a free market economy. Me, I think that when it comes to pro sports, the free market is the best determinant of value. I'm totally against salary caps of any type. All they do is keep players from getting fair value for their labor. That's why I'm also in favor of programs that allow all workers to get the highest value for their labor possible (such as a baseline universal income that would allow people to negotiate for wages for their labor without worrying about having to take a crappy job to eat or put a roof over their heads), but now we're getting too political.

However, I reject the idea that just because you don't think that you get fair value for your labor, other people should just shut up and be happy with their lot even if they're also not getting fair value for their labor.

My statement is more they make tens of millions and it's still not enough. They are complaining owners are profiting billions, well so are most employers in America. The margin isn't really that different from players/owners or CEO/employees. But I guess it all comes down to is justifying greed, everyone wants more and more is never enough.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I deserve to be paid more.
Already stated that I knew going in what my earning potential was.

I simply won't support a guy that makes millions when he threatens to strike or hold out.
Hold outs hurt the team, strikes hurt the fans.

I think I just heard that the Rockets are up for sale, they said they were last purchased in 94 or 96 for 85 million. They are currently being valued at 1.4-1.65 billion.
Sure the owners and leagues are raking it in but that holds true for many industries.

Again, I hope athletes get all they can get, I simply won't support a strike. I can't and won't feel sorry for anyone that already makes millions and is crying for more.
I understand the logic that y'all are using, I just won't subscribe too it.

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":36hty0u3 said:
.....Again, I hope athletes get all they can get, I simply won't support a strike. I can't and won't feel sorry for anyone that already makes millions and is crying for more.

+1.
Pretty much where I stand on this as well.

I would personally find it difficult to "stay hungry" with a closet full of 100 bills, and I think we see signs of that with this team at times. I can only think of 2 current players that have actually improved since being paid. Wagner, and Baldwin.

StoneCold

Reaction score
pmedic920":16mmkvud said:
I'm not saying that I deserve to be paid more.
Already stated that I knew going in what my earning potential was.

I simply won't support a guy that makes millions when he threatens to strike or hold out.
Hold outs hurt the team, strikes hurt the fans.

I think I just heard that the Rockets are up for sale, they said they were last purchased in 94 or 96 for 85 million. They are currently being valued at 1.4-1.65 billion.
Sure the owners and leagues are raking it in but that holds true for many industries.

Again, I hope athletes get all they can get, I simply won't support a strike. I can't and won't feel sorry for anyone that already makes millions and is crying for more.

Pretty sure that it's close to 75% that make less than a million.

I am wrong on that, but still most do not make much more as the younger playeres are paid less.

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-e ... aid-2013-9

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seahaaaawks":2vziozg1 said:
Smelly McUgly":2vziozg1 said:
Seahaaaawks":2vziozg1 said:
pmedic920":2vziozg1 said:

IDK.

I DO KNOW THIS.

MLB
NFL
NBA

Would yours?

My statement is more they make tens of millions and it's still not enough. They are complaining owners are profiting billions, well so are most employers in America. The margin isn't really that different from players/owners or CEO/employees. But I guess it all comes down to is justifying greed, everyone wants more and more is never enough.

With all due respect, this sort of pocket-watching is really unseemly. If the make millions, but they generate billions, they should complain. Why is it greed to want to achieve your earning potential? No matter if you make fifteen bucks an hour, fifty bucks an hour, or five thousand bucks an hour, if your value is more than that going rate, your calls to earn more are a fair assessment of the value of your labor, not greed. Greed is wanting to keep everything for yourself and only yourself, and I haven't seen Sherman or most of these football players say, "I want it all for me, forget the owners or other players."

jeremiah

Reaction score
The players should just take the share meant for player contracts and cut it up equally between all player on the team. Anything else is hypocrisy, seeing that they are for equality in all other things. Why should RW get paid more than a rookie O lineman? Give the money to the players, let them hash out the contracts after the coaches finish the cuts. There would be no more holdouts, everyone would be making great money. The superstars would still be raking in millions in endorsements and commercial deals.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":s6obdimg said:
Sherman needs to shut the hell up. I'm getting sick and tired of his antics, and outspoken nature. I didn't mind it for the last few years, but now it seems like he has the need to make headlines every, single, week.

First off his comparison's to NBA players pay is asinine. The NBA only has 15 players on their rosters, only five men on each team are out at any given time. The NFL has 52 men, and 11 players are out on the field at any given time, plus practice squads. Defensive members need a completely different skillset than offensive members. Unlike in the NBA the same five men play defense and offense at any given time. The members of the NBA were collectively paid 3 billion last year, the NFL players by comparison took home 8 billion. Both NBA players, and NFL players make around 50 percent of what the league brings in. The NFL players take home slightly less of the overall revenue, but not by much -- despite this NFL players as a whole took home significantly more money.

NFL players will never make as much as NBA players, simply because their are more mouths to feed in American football. More staff members are needed, more positions need to be filled, and high profile players do not last as long in the NFL as the high profile players of the NBA do.

Despite the facts I laid out Sherman still makes more money than anyone of us will ever see in our lifetimes, just in one year. Sherman, you need to shut your mouth.

Post of year on Sherman and this issue.

I too, am sick of the Worm and really tired of him this last season.

He's the self-anointed village idiot of the team and spits the dummy on the field and the sidelines.