I doubt there will be any interior pressure from the d line

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, this McDowell situation definitely is a dissapointment.

Interior pass rush on 1st and 2nd down may be lacking, but when Kris Richard used a Nascar package last season on 3rd and long, our guys disrupted the pocket consistently. Use Marsh and Avril on the outside, with Bennett and Clark inside.

Our defense just needs to get the other team into 3rd and long in order to use this personnel grouping.

Chapow

Reaction score
RussB":3w3ait29 said:
This whole season. Just like last one, everyone keeps hoping its going to happen i just dont see it. And its very simple why, they dont have the personell to do so. Its largely the same guys as last year with rubin and reed. They are run stuffers and wont get any pressure.

Malik was supposed to be that guy that blows up the middle, and we all know what he did. He basically screwed up the entire plan is the truth. Now they have to scour the depth and look for a guy to do that but they just dont have anyone on the roster.

Malik basically threw a monkey wrench into the entire D line

If the entire plan rested on the shoulders of a 2nd round rookie (and I don't for 1 second believe it did), it was probably a pretty poor plan to begin with.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chapow":2t6zmbqz said:
RussB":2t6zmbqz said:
This whole season. Just like last one, everyone keeps hoping its going to happen i just dont see it. And its very simple why, they dont have the personell to do so. Its largely the same guys as last year with rubin and reed. They are run stuffers and wont get any pressure.

Malik was supposed to be that guy that blows up the middle, and we all know what he did. He basically screwed up the entire plan is the truth. Now they have to scour the depth and look for a guy to do that but they just dont have anyone on the roster.

If the entire plan rested on the shoulders of a 2nd round rookie (and I don't for 1 second believe it did), it was probably a pretty poor plan to begin with.

True he was going to be flipped to a RT tackle anyway :)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":38dd0yxi said:
Holy Moly!

What a negative premise for a thread after just 1 preseason game!

We don't know whether this supposed lack of interior DLine pressure is remotely the case until the #1 D starts playing against #1 O's.

There are a few players that have been added and while the absence of McDowell is disappointing but the play of Jefferson, Bass, Harris, Milhouse or Liggins has still to be assessed. Taking an immediate negative view is silly when there is still a lot of preseason left and time to see if the rush is in fact present but as yet not seen.

Finally as mentioned above if this remains a weakness the team could well acquire a player with a trade to assist.
This view was kinda inherent in the post I made. Silly, premature, short-sighted, over-reaction... all encompass the original post.

cymatica

Reaction score
Since when did Pete and John ever rely so heavily on a rookie(besides o-line :( ). Similar to Clark, he would have added to depth, while not being rushed.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Good responses, i hope nazir can help out with the issue. Its just that i expected big things from mcdowell like everyone did, just kind of frustrated he went and did what he did because i was looking forward to watching what he can do and i think he would have been a beast.

Also hes a early 2nd round pick, its unnacceptable.

King Dog

Reaction score
I was hoping Dion Jordan would turn things around here and be a contributor.... That pipe dream seems to have disappeared, so I'll go with Garrison Smith next :D

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of your post but it's too early to assume it won't be at least a little bit better.

Hoping that Nazair Jones and Jefferson step up.

RW92

Reaction score
RussB":2e3qvrqb said:

I agree with you in part. First of all Rubin is flat out terrible. I said that last year. Zero pass rush ability from him. He gets pushed off the line and thrown like a doll left and right. So far as new talent is concerned, from what I've seen tonight and last week, I still think we need to find more time for Bass, Jones, and Smith. I also like Tylor Harris from what I've seen the past 2 weekends as well. They at least provide penetration to a D-line that hasn't generated a lot of inside pressure so far this pre-season. And without it you can't go deep into January. We have the parts. Pete just needs to sit down and play the best talent. I'm sorry. If you hurts someone's feelings too bad. Best players play and Rubin isn't one of them.

PS. And Kasen Williams has put Jermaine Kearse on the bench. Flat Out.