Two Stupid Questions That Keep Me Up At Night.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't judge.

Okay, these are the two stupid questions that I can't shake lately and forget to ask the community until right now so here goes...

1) Why does Russell Wilson have a new (and in my opinion) dorky face guard this season? I would provide a picture but I can't find one. I was watching some random preseason game last week and this dorky player was wearing this super dorky face guard on his helmet and I thought, "Wow, what a dorky face guard!" Then to my horror I noticed Russell had the same face guard! I know what you are thinking. "Now this is clearly of vital importance".

2) Why don't the Seahawks ever have joint practices? I watch NFL Network all the time and Total Access always talks about how teams are having joint practices during training camp. Why don't we? Seems odd for a team as competitive as we are to not want to host another team to get real hits in with other teams. Thoughts?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I don't know about the first one (haven't seen the new face guard). Best guess on the second one is that we don't need to have joint practices - we can create enough camp fights just amongst ourselves!

Smellyman

Reaction score
1)Dorky? You mean facemask or is face guard something else? Seems fine to me. If it is dorky it works since RW is pretty dorky.

0ap3000000831723_video_player_cp.jpg

2) beats me

Josea16

Reaction score
1) I have no clue what you're talking about.

2) Likely distance and it's a dumb thing to do given you can't practice on real things in front of another team whether they're on you're schedule or not.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Look how many of our own players get injured during our practices. I'm thinking other squads want no part.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
1- He has a new face guard?

2- We have had joint practices before but I think we don't do it more because Pete runs a more up tempo practice than other teams with less actual time on the field and I think he wants to keep our guys in that groove, doesn't want to have to adjust the tempo of our practices to mesh with someone else's.

Heyseed

Reaction score
1. VICIS helmet deal
2. Hawks does not play well with others

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
My stupid question is:
Why does the long snapper have a valuable roster spot on the 53, when you also carry a backup center (who is also usually on the active roster as a backup for OC injury insurance) ????? I know the snaps are a little different, but not by much, so, why not combine the two positions and save a roster spot? I'd bet, right now, Joey Hunt (or who ever is the B/U center) with a little training, could do both jobs effectively and that would allow the Hawks to carry an extra WR, RB or DB. This makes some sense to me.

mrt144

Reaction score
Aros":oo52u51g said:
Don't judge.

Okay, these are the two stupid questions that I can't shake lately and forget to ask the community until right now so here goes...

1) Why does Russell Wilson have a new (and in my opinion) dorky face guard this season? I would provide a picture but I can't find one. I was watching some random preseason game last week and this dorky player was wearing this super dorky face guard on his helmet and I thought, "Wow, what a dorky face guard!" Then to my horror I noticed Russell had the same face guard! I know what you are thinking. "Now this is clearly of vital importance".

2) Why don't the Seahawks ever have joint practices? I watch NFL Network all the time and Total Access always talks about how teams are having joint practices during training camp. Why don't we? Seems odd for a team as competitive as we are to not want to host another team to get real hits in with other teams. Thoughts?

On 2) Because we are way up here and everyone else is out there.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2b81ldvx said:
My stupid question is:
Why does the long snapper have a valuable roster spot on the 53, when you also carry a backup center (who is also usually on the active roster as a backup for OC injury insurance) ????? I know the snaps are a little different, but not by much, so, why not combine the two positions and save a roster spot? I'd bet, right now, Joey Hunt (or who ever is the B/U center) with a little training, could do both jobs effectively and that would allow the Hawks to carry an extra WR, RB or DB. This makes some sense to me.

Long-snapping is considered a special skill that takes years to develop the near perfection that's required. Most long-snappers aren't as big as full time OL either. Certainly, if a full-time center had developed long-snapping skills, he would be very valuable to a team.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
1. I noticed the same thing. I assumed it was to help his peripheral vision. It seems wider for his eyes, and his old helmet always seems too big for him imo.

2. Good question. It would be nice to see them try one sometime, but they seem to do well practicing each against one another

chris98251

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that there are new helmets they are developing for concussion purposes, a few players on many teams wear them during preseason for them to get data, they may or may not use them during the season depending on how far they are in evaluation and needing certification as well. I believe Richard Sherman was using one last pre season of some type, there was a comment on how it fit weird the previous year and that this time around it was much better. So maybe this is a continuation of that development.

Basis4day

Reaction score
1. [tweet]https://twitter.com/alistaircorp/status/892209148590292992[/tweet]

2. Every-time i hear of joint practices they inevitably discuss a fight that occurred.

Smellyman

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":21stasm2 said:
My stupid question is:

they are completely different. Like why can't a punter be a kicker different.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff fellas (especially you John)...Anti-concussion helmet. Got it. I suppose I will have to let the dork factor slide if it saves our beloved QB from brain rattling. As for the joint practices, the answers I've read (location, et al) pacifies me as well. Carry on my wayword sons!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Aros":2u8ilbmg said:
As for the joint practices, the answers I've read (location, et al) pacifies me as well. Carry on my wayword sons!

I just have one small thing to add on this account. The Saints flew out to LA to hold 3 practices with the Changers before their preseason game. So it could be done with maybe a Seahawk road preseason game next season.