Seahawks Trade for Eagles Tackle Tobin

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2merdhta said:
A problem of this magnitude should include a possible player trade. Here is a list of players I would consider.

Kease
Lane
Procise
Collins
Richardson (like him but fragile and Lockett is similar)
Willson
Ifedi (replace with Pocic)
Graham (like him but not getting the value in red zone)
Williams (value may be somewhat low still, but Russell will not risk those contested throws in real games IMO--see Graham)

It's really easy to sit back for us to say "hey let's just trade a player away and get a starting quality tackle", but in this league, at this stage of the year, teams aren't often willing to part with a starting quality offensive lineman. Those types of moves need to be made before or during the draft so the team has the ability to replace the lost talent.

At this point, the only way to get an offensive lineman who is a quality player away from a team would be to overpay, and that isn't smart to do in the long run. It also assumes there's a team willing to actually cough up the player we want and that is an extreme stretch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3v36d5y6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3v36d5y6 said:
Seymour":3v36d5y6 said:
I still wonder why 95% of what I've heard completely contradicts that though. :?: :?:

Because most of it is true.

It's late August in the NFL, if these guys aren't already on a roster, or higher up the depth chart in Tobin's case, then yeah they're probably not very good.

But that was my very first point, neither of these guys are going to start (hopefully). They're depth to get through the rest of camp and enter the season with some assemblence of a cohesive O-line.

Our other option is to not sign anybody and shuffle guys around on the line, which IMO would make the line even worse than just plugging Pocic and/or Odhiambo in at LT. Then you're weakening multiple positions, instead of just one.

Bottom line, it's turd sammich any way you want to cut it. There is no "right" way to do it, other than what we did, get some fresh bodies in here.

A problem of this magnitude should include a possible player trade. Here is a list of players I would consider.

Kease
Lane
Procise
Collins
Richardson (like him but fragile and Lockett is similar)
Willson
Ifedi (replace with Pocic)
Graham (like him but not getting the value in red zone)
Williams (value may be somewhat low still, but Russell will not risk those contested throws in real games IMO--see Graham)

Doesn't mean a trade can't still happen, but player trades are rare this time of year................and take weeks, sometimes even months to work out the details.

In the mean time we have two new competent lineman in camp learning, competing and spelling our starters so they don't get overworked before September 10th.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":oim4fw0o said:
Seymour":oim4fw0o said:
I get the whole need thing, but how can this guy be better than Obi or Pocic at tackle? He has not even played tackle in the NFL nearest I can tell just guard. We have enough guards already. Welcome to the grand giveaway..... :roll:
LOLOL Perhaps you can break out the Windex and clear up the options window for John Schneider & Co.
IF we put in "Pocic or Obi", who is going to be the backup player?...We can't run around during regular Season without a spare tire.
Is Tobin the optimal choice?, hell no....... but as of right now, seems like he's our ONLY CHOICE.

Pete has said Justin Senior can play tackle, and they are very happy with his progress. Also Pocic or the loser of the battle. In a bind you have Britt that could fill in at tackle and Pocic / Hunt to center.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":qqg56edy said:
scutterhawk":qqg56edy said:
Seymour":qqg56edy said:
I get the whole need thing, but how can this guy be better than Obi or Pocic at tackle? He has not even played tackle in the NFL nearest I can tell just guard. We have enough guards already. Welcome to the grand giveaway..... :roll:
LOLOL Perhaps you can break out the Windex and clear up the options window for John Schneider & Co.
IF we put in "Pocic or Obi", who is going to be the backup player?...We can't run around during regular Season without a spare tire.
Is Tobin the optimal choice?, hell no....... but as of right now, seems like he's our ONLY CHOICE.

Pete has said Justin Senior can play tackle, and they are very happy with his progress. Also Pocic or the loser of the battle. In a bind you have Britt that could fill in at tackle and Pocic / Hunt to center.

They just released Senior on an injury settlement. Are you starting to understand why we had to sign more lineman?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18ynxn9v said:
Seymour":18ynxn9v said:
scutterhawk":18ynxn9v said:
Seymour":18ynxn9v said:

They just released Senior on an injury settlement. Are you starting to understand why we had to sign more lineman?

Didn't mention Joeckel either.

No, I really do not understand the need. Please explain further. :roll:

We have a line full of multi position players... jack of all trades / master of none....ohh...BTW none can play tackle for real...just in a make believe world. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3c3mpluy said:

We have a line full of multi position players... jack of all trades / master of none....ohh...BTW none can play tackle for real...just in a make believe world. :2thumbs:

The issue is, we didn't have a line FULL....we were short 2 players who cannot go due to injury, they needed to be replaced. They've been replaced. It doesn't mean that other options aren't being explored. I'm pretty sure that if some team wants to cut a capable starting tackle, we'll sign him quickly. Until then, we are back up to 90 on the active roster and i am quite certain that John and Pete are keeping their options open moving forward.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2a5yspav said:
http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/vid...tt-Tobin/8feca3b4-5b73-4c32-a27b-f24ab95a16fc

Not to rain on everybodya pity party bit I'll just leave this here.

PS: you could also say we just traded Alex Collins for Chris Carson if we are being facetious.

Excellent point, that video shows some promise, and also for the naysayers, I'll reiterate, he graded out HIGHER than our recently injured George Fant.
As I see it, his 5th round potential could go either way.....Schneider = No Guts, No Glory.

ivotuk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":32v8iufj said:
http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/vid...tt-Tobin/8feca3b4-5b73-4c32-a27b-f24ab95a16fc

PS: you could also say we just traded Alex Collins for Chris Carson if we are being facetious.

Thank You! After watching that video, I'm fairly confident that Tobin will do just fine.

He held up well at left tackle against Jared Allen. Admittedly, an elderly Jared, but Tobin didn't look lost, which is something I see from a Seahawks Olineman.all too often.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":26a6bff7 said:
Sgt. Largent":26a6bff7 said:
Seymour":26a6bff7 said:
scutterhawk":26a6bff7 said:

We didn't have a full line, until yesterday when we signed two more lineman.

It's not hard math. Two lineman hurt, need two more lineman.

Trying to trade underachieving and/or hurt players with big contracts or wait two more weeks and hope better lineman come available is the worst plan I've ever heard.

DJrmb

Reaction score
ivotuk":3a8v0ako said:
EverydayImRusselin":3a8v0ako said:

Thank You! After watching that video, I'm fairly confident that Tobin will do just fine.

He held up well at left tackle against Jared Allen. Admittedly, an elderly Jared, but Tobin didn't look lost, which is something I see from a Seahawks Olineman.all too often.

At the very least it's a good depth addition.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qqe5fs1 said:
Seymour":1qqe5fs1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1qqe5fs1 said:
Seymour":1qqe5fs1 said:

Trying to trade underachieving and/or hurt players with big contracts or wait two more weeks and hope better lineman come available is the worst plan I've ever heard.

Almost as bad of a plan as keeping said players year after year. :2thumbs:

In 12 days, there will be 1,184 more players available to choose from.

StoneCold

Reaction score
mikeak":31y69for said:
To me he doesn't change the overall feeling of the O-line

There is still disappointment that Fant went down as he looked better

Me and several others pointed out that part of the problem last year was a complete lack of depth (which is why Fant played last year). So as much as they may have tried they did fail to address it when one injury makes them trade for a guy that is on 6 teams in 3 years

Doesn't mean we don't all root for the guy. I ALWAYS hope I am wrong when I don't think someone will work out for the Seahawks. It is just concerning that we find ourselves right back at this same spot for what the third year in a row? For what people call the best FO in the league something really isn't working / clicking when it comes to getting a decent o-line.

You got to have backups, you will lose starters.

The price as said is not very much - worth kicking the tires if you believe in him, but you can't do this 10 times and get rid of 10 guys........ I remember people being so PROUD of the FO when they kept moving down in the draft. Then suddenly it was so SMART, SKILLED, TAKING ADVANTAGE by the FO to move down and get these 5th round picks because they had so much VALUE. And instead we got no 1st round pick, a second rounder that is proving people right and a bunch of lower round picks that we can trade for guys that - "hey why not we aren't giving anything up"

Just remember come April and they move down again that people said that lower round picks aren't really worth very much... Can't have it both ways

Are there really teams that lose a quality starter, at any position, and continue without a hitch? If we lose Sherman, or Britt or god forbid (please drink your nano bubbles) Russell we will have a very hard time replacing any of them.

We needed some depth and picked up two guys. The only way to really evaluate this trade is to have a list of every Olinemen in the league, their rating and the cost to acquire.

As a side note, I would appreciate it if people didn't reply to people I'm blocking. Thank you.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":12q98da2 said:
Sgt. Largent":12q98da2 said:
Seymour":12q98da2 said:
Sgt. Largent":12q98da2 said:

Given that those players will be the cuts of other teams, your seeming expectation that we can just find a starting LT lying around the flotsam is dubious at best.

As far as your list of trade candidates, if the Seahawks are willing to jettison them, why would other teams want them? To help us out? You named maybe two guys with significant value right now, Prosise and Graham, and I hope we don't have to go into why those guys aren't getting traded.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":ehu3tb90 said:

You keep saying this like is an either or choice.

Choice A: Sign two players now
Choice B: Wait two weeks

IT'S BOTH........DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? Or are you going to continue to be obtuse just to keep running around this track of nonsense.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z3okr07 said:
Seymour":1z3okr07 said:

You keep saying this like is an either or choice.

Choice A: Sign two players now
Choice B: Wait two weeks

IT'S BOTH........DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? Or are you going to continue to be obtuse just to keep running around this track of nonsense.

Wrong, but I'm done explaining.

I did remember something from all this though. Freedom often comes at a cost.

5000518297691c9b7df657324601128b6b646708.gif

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2cpob0s3 said:
Seymour":2cpob0s3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2cpob0s3 said:
Seymour":2cpob0s3 said:

Given that those players will be the cuts of other teams, your seeming expectation that we can just find a starting LT lying around the flotsam is dubious at best.

As far as your list of trade candidates, if the Seahawks are willing to jettison them, why would other teams want them? To help us out? You named maybe two guys with significant value right now, Prosise and Graham, and I hope we don't have to go into why those guys aren't getting traded.

That would be a misread. I have zero faith they will find a starter in either resource (now or after cuts).

Why do teams trade? They have needs that are in line with your abundance....pretty simple stuff here.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Any word if the pick swap is conditional or not? If its conditional, I can appreciate the 'why not' factor. He may prove himself a useful back up over the coming weeks. If it is not conditional and we are locking a spot for him based on his play (really?), that is not great.

Based on what I've seen, if all things were equal here, he would really have to battle for one of the last spots on the OL. That's really saying something.

mikeak

Reaction score
StoneCold":wi5jae3r said:
mikeak":wi5jae3r said:
To me he doesn't change the overall feeling of the O-line

There is still disappointment that Fant went down as he looked better

Me and several others pointed out that part of the problem last year was a complete lack of depth (which is why Fant played last year). So as much as they may have tried they did fail to address it when one injury makes them trade for a guy that is on 6 teams in 3 years

Doesn't mean we don't all root for the guy. I ALWAYS hope I am wrong when I don't think someone will work out for the Seahawks. It is just concerning that we find ourselves right back at this same spot for what the third year in a row? For what people call the best FO in the league something really isn't working / clicking when it comes to getting a decent o-line.

You got to have backups, you will lose starters.

The price as said is not very much - worth kicking the tires if you believe in him, but you can't do this 10 times and get rid of 10 guys........ I remember people being so PROUD of the FO when they kept moving down in the draft. Then suddenly it was so SMART, SKILLED, TAKING ADVANTAGE by the FO to move down and get these 5th round picks because they had so much VALUE. And instead we got no 1st round pick, a second rounder that is proving people right and a bunch of lower round picks that we can trade for guys that - "hey why not we aren't giving anything up"

Just remember come April and they move down again that people said that lower round picks aren't really worth very much... Can't have it both ways

Are there really teams that lose a quality starter, at any position, and continue without a hitch? If we lose Sherman, or Britt or god forbid (please drink your nano bubbles) Russell we will have a very hard time replacing any of them.

We needed some depth and picked up two guys. The only way to really evaluate this trade is to have a list of every Olinemen in the league, their rating and the cost to acquire.

As a side note, I would appreciate it if people didn't reply to people I'm blocking. Thank you.

I agree with the notion that star players that goes down are not replacable and especially not without a hitch. Heck if it was Britt that went down I would have a different perspective.

However this is a guy that was not starter quality last year. This is a guy that made great improvements which we didn't know how they would translate on the field when training camp started. Nobody knew if he would be as bad as last year or markedly improved. As a matter of fact we still don't really know how much he improved for regular season games.

We really really should not be coming into this season feeling that a Fant injury is a huge deal. That means we didn't do enough. Not saying we didn't try and I know we didn't get everyone we wanted - but we did fail in the offseason to build the O-Line with depth that we should have hoped for. I am not really as opposed to the trade to the position we find ourselves in.

Based on where we are at - the signing and the trade is about par for the course. Hopefully someone else steps up and that is how we get our starter.

I would say this though - every bubble OL player getting cut should want to play here as they have just about the highest chance to make the roster......

GLio14

Reaction score
This is from two years ago, but sheesh.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PhillyFreck215/status/653912163044708352[/tweet]