OpHawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":2r27fbgs said:
Optimus25":2r27fbgs said:
semiahmoo":2r27fbgs said:
FlyingGreg":2r27fbgs said:
Love Pete. Always will.

But, his time in the sun is over...

I said it long before this season that we were experiencing the beginning of the end of the PC era.

Many cried blasphemy.

Now many more and merely crying.

Pete helped us to win a SB. I will always be grateful to him for that. Those were wonderful times to be a Seahawk fan.

That time is over.

Time to hit the reset button.

How the Patriots manage to be so competitive year in and year out I don't know.

It's clear this team was never nor will ever be, the Patriots.

Time to look to the future - and Pete Carroll isn't in it.

The patriots coach attention to detail endlessly. It's blatantly evident in the product.
In New England Michael Bennett would have been canned by the second straight game with an off sides for example.

We coach on more of a philosophical, overall technique manner.

Also blatantly obvious in the product. At least it got us a ring though.

Oh shut up. Michael Bennett has been a tremendous player every year. Keep your political BS to yourself.

Mistaowen, your politics are showing.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Osprey":2nhknif2 said:
semiahmoo":2nhknif2 said:

The Pats are the Pats because:
1) They are merciless in their conviction to win.
2) They continually adapt and innovate.

As successful a run as it's been, Pete is a one trick pony: ball control offense with a smothering defense. Great formula if you can physically dominate the opponent. Clearly the Hawks are no longer physically dominating and are out schemed far too often.

I think you pretty much nailed it. PC only has the one formula, and now that he doesn't have the personnel to make it work, he has nothing to fall back on because he is unwilling and unable to deviate from the one formula.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Run that offense all game and not put D on the field basically after a water break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimsalabim

Reaction score
adeltaY":1lpypkt0 said:
I'm not sure if Belichick has echoed this sentiment, but Brady has definitely said he believes Michael Bennett is the best defensive player in the league.... I'm sure even the Pats would be willing to put up with some offsides penalties for the level of production Mike B brings to the table. Also, he only had one offsides penalty this game. I've noticed that Cliff and Clark have been committing an unusually high number of those penalties, as evident today.
Today Bennett brought nothing.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":33igqx53 said:
adeltaY":33igqx53 said:
I'm not sure if Belichick has echoed this sentiment, but Brady has definitely said he believes Michael Bennett is the best defensive player in the league.... I'm sure even the Pats would be willing to put up with some offsides penalties for the level of production Mike B brings to the table. Also, he only had one offsides penalty this game. I've noticed that Cliff and Clark have been committing an unusually high number of those penalties, as evident today.

Then you weren't watching, because he had a couple of TFL and some pressures as well.

netskier

Reaction score
adeltaY":2qyi9zsi said:

All three are fast muscle twitch guys, i.e., "jumpy", lie gun fighters; this is one of their strengths. But it is also a weakness against quarterbacks who employ hard counts. I read this morning that Mariota is even better at this than Rodgers, who is widely regarded as a master at this.

Given this, I think these offsides were reasonable, given that our players were trying hard against a good offensive line. Recall that this was the first thing the polite fan from the Titans warned us about.

Our coaches should respond to this by increasing their drills designed to train our players to ignore the opposing quarterback's voice, and instead to respond to their team's movements.

I think the team is coming around. I feel guardedly optimistic today.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":c2lzaxg2 said:
mistaowen":c2lzaxg2 said:
Optimus25":c2lzaxg2 said:
semiahmoo":c2lzaxg2 said:
I said it long before this season that we were experiencing the beginning of the end of the PC era.

Many cried blasphemy.

Pete helped us to win a SB. I will always be grateful to him for that. Those were wonderful times to be a Seahawk fan.

That time is over.

The patriots coach attention to detail endlessly. It's blatantly evident in the product.
In New England Michael Bennett would have been canned by the second straight game with an off sides for example.

Oh shut up. Michael Bennett has been a tremendous player every year. Keep your political BS to yourself.

He didn't once refer to Bennett's political stance, he referred to his ever tiresome offsides situation. Shows a huge lack of self-discipline... I don't think I need to say anymore.

Bennett will always get some offsides penalties because he doesn't have elite get off and needs to time the snap count. He more than makes up for it with negative plays in the backfield.

We need to worry when he's not balancing out those offsides with negative plays for the defense.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Osprey":1wdlw980 said:
semiahmoo":1wdlw980 said:

The Pats are the Pats because:
1) They are merciless in their conviction to win.
2) They continually adapt and innovate.

As successful a run as it's been, Pete is a one trick pony: ball control offense with a smothering defense. Great formula if you can physically dominate the opponent. Clearly the Hawks are no longer physically dominating and are out schemed far too often.

Okay, ignoring the Patriots history of cheating, valid point

So question, out of the 32 teams in the league not named the Patriots, who else is better? Is your argument basically that because we're not the Patriots, Pete Carroll sucks? Because he's still considered among the 5 best coaches, and we're perennial playoff contenders

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":10d4cfdm said:
mistaowen":10d4cfdm said:
Optimus25":10d4cfdm said:
semiahmoo":10d4cfdm said:

Many cried blasphemy.

That time is over.

Talk about an overreaction to criticism. While I think cutting a quality player over repeated offsides penalties is gross hyperbole, insinuating that criticism of his inability to stay onsides game after game is somehow a comment on his misguided attempt at relevancy outside of football is an overreach.

I think that response is directed at something I've noticed as well, which is that since Bennett's incident there's been additional critique of his play, almost nitpicky. I could be wrong, but that's what I see a bit. Bennett isn't playing any different to how he usually plays, and I constantly here commentators compliment his play on the field

Also, describing his incident a "misguided attempt at relevancy" is political in and of itself, especially to those who have a different take on that issue.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Own The West":33o6mr32 said:
So what did Pete change this week - other than giving up more points this week than the previous two combined?
Hardcore breaking news!! Pete just announced the change!!!

This just in!!!!

Pete has now switched to Geico and plans on saving 15 percent or more on his car insurance!!!

Pass it on!!!

Osprey

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1l9xjiek said:
Okay, ignoring the Patriots history of cheating, valid point

So question, out of the 32 teams in the league not named the Patriots, who else is better? Is your argument basically that because we're not the Patriots, Pete Carroll sucks? Because he's still considered among the 5 best coaches, and we're perennial playoff contenders

To channel the Tuna...you are what your record says you are.

When he came (back) into the league Pete's approach was innovative and he was able to assemble a physically dominate team. The league has caught up and the team is no longer physically dominate. As a result the team, and by extension Pete, have regressed. Are they the worst team in the league? No, but clearly they are not a Super Bowl favorite as reflected in their sinking Vegas odds.

So you're left with a choice: innovate or restore the physical dominance. Given cap restrictions and the nature of contracts it's unlikely a quick fix on the physical side. That leaves innovation and everything I've seen from Pete is that he has zero interest in changing.

themunn

Reaction score
Aren't the Patriots the guys that went nearly 10 years between Superbowl wins?
The same guys that went 18-0 then lost the superbowl, failed to make the playoffs the following year and were 1 and done each of the following 2 years too?
Then they finally made it back to the superbowl and lost to the same team that done them 4 years prior?

Those Patriots?

That team is so successful because they've stuck with their all-time-great coach and not allowed 2 seasons and 3 games of discord to dictate what they do. Imagine they'd kicked Belichick after the 2010 season - "the league's caught up to him, spygate was what made him so good, the team just hasn't recovered from 18-1".

If not for a terrible effort on the ball by Ricardo Lockette and a total meltdown by the Falcons we'd be talking about the team that won 3 in succession then lost their next 4 - would Belichick be the all-time-great coach you call him then? (Of course he would, game of inches and all that).

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2as33oct said:
FlyingGreg":2as33oct said:
Love Pete. Always will.

But, his time in the sun is over...

Many cried blasphemy.

That time is over.

Pats have Tom Brady and one of the best coaches ever.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":1xbeaeva said:
brimsalabim":1xbeaeva said:
adeltaY":1xbeaeva said:

Then you weren't watching, because he had a couple of TFL and some pressures as well.

Yeah he did. Really dominate first half for him in particular.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Yup. Bennett and Richardson were absolute beasts. While Avril didn't show in the stats, he did a great job opening lanes, and occupying blockers, to free up Bennett and Richardson. Clark had a rough game. I think he was just exhausted.

mikeak

Reaction score
Patriots are winning now because they change weekly.

On November 16, 2014, Gray rushed for 201 yards, and a franchise-record four touchdowns on 38 carries in his fourth NFL game, leading the New England Patriots to a 42-20 victory

The very next week http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554322

Brady - 38/53!!!!! for 349 yards and they ran for 90 yards

Bellicheck gameplans to win every single week. There is not one philosophy that works except winning

Pete will focus on defense and eating clock until hell freezes over. He won't go into a game with the shootout mentality even when trying to eat clock directly leads to loosing the TOP

olyfan63

Reaction score
themunn":1cgh6mcl said:
Aren't the Patriots the guys that went nearly 10 years between Superbowl wins?
The same guys that went 18-0 then lost the superbowl, failed to make the playoffs the following year and were 1 and done each of the following 2 years too?
Then they finally made it back to the superbowl and lost to the same team that done them 4 years prior?

Those Patriots?

That team is so successful because they've stuck with their all-time-great coach and not allowed 2 seasons and 3 games of discord to dictate what they do. Imagine they'd kicked Belichick after the 2010 season - "the league's caught up to him, spygate was what made him so good, the team just hasn't recovered from 18-1".

--snip--

THIS, for the win. (and MikeAk's comment too)

Pete has already reinvented himself a couple times over in his coaching career, just at the NFL level alone. Add in college and it's a couple more.

Yes, we got our asses kicked in Green Bay and in Tennessee in the heat, our D got worn down. Kudos to Tennessee.
As someone mentioned, the Titans game was a lot, lot, lot, like the early season game a couple years back vs. the Chargers where our D got worn down in the heat and we lost.

Yes, Pete needs to be willing to move to a "score early and often" model of offense, to game plan for each opponent to WIN the game against them, taking on favorable matchups instead of being so focused on "imposing our will on our opponents" (on offense).

Our D played lights-out first halves against both Green Bay and Tennessee, with roughly ZERO help from the pathetic offensive production, and getting creamed in plays run and time of possession. A few less 3-and-outs by the offense in the first half, a non-gassed defense, and both are very different games.

Pete is a smart man. He'll figure out what's working and not. But yes, he gets pulled back to his "run the ball" over-emphasis cliche script too early and often. Pete, the short possession passing game works the same as a grind-it-out running game! Pete, didn't you realize that New England imposed their will on us in SB49 with that short passing game and Brady and Edelman and Amendola dinking and dunking us to death? Why not develop *multiple* ways to impose our will on opponents? Actually, we had this with the Read Option running game, and imposed our will with that before the rest of the league figured out how to defend it better, and Wilson slowed down/got injured. And why not impose our will in different ways at different times? Dink and dunk in the first half, and then Ground Chuck/Read Option from the middle of the third quarter on, with a few series of no-huddle/up-tempo mixed in.

Losing is all that gets Pete Carroll's attention enough to change. All the close games we've had with his at-times overly conservative approach have kept him from changing; after all, it's always been close, it's always "almost worked". A couple bruising losses might be what it takes to get Pete to wake up and adjust to the team he has and scheme to win games against specific opponents, instead of over-prioritizing the impose-our-will crap. Save that stuff for the 4th quarter with a lead, against a gassed opposing D. An opponent worn down by short passing ball control is just as worn down as one worn down by a smashmouth running attack.

Pete has another change of stripes in him and another Super Bowl run or two as well. He's not done, and getting rid of Pete now would be like the Pats canning Belichick after the 2010 season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
A question for the experts....has anyone thought of a mixed power/ZBS scheme? I saw an article while back about the Chiefs employing some thing like this but now I can't seem to find that article.

But what I'm thinking is really around this. Use a zone blocking for the tackles (which need to be more athletic) so they can play to their athletic strengths. Employ a more power blocking (man) for the interior OL (guards/centers). Since bigger guys are generally moved to guards.

seedhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":374iej51 said:
A question for the experts....has anyone thought of a mixed power/ZBS scheme? I saw an article while back about the Chiefs employing some thing like this but now I can't seem to find that article.

But what I'm thinking is really around this. Use a zone blocking for the tackles (which need to be more athletic) so they can play to their athletic strengths. Employ a more power blocking (man) for the interior OL (guards/centers). Since bigger guys are generally moved to guards.

I think you could be close, however, I would say considering the physical stature or all our O-linemen, that what we actually need is to outlaw cut blocks. Seems to me too many times, our O-line looks more like a school of beached fin whales, not an NFL line.