Tyler Lockett

getnasty

Reaction score
I know he's coming off a major injury but does he seem to be off to you guys or is it just a matter of the offense in general being off? I hope he can return to his old form, he was turning into a big time threat before the injury.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Devastating injury to come back from. Could be as much mental as physical. I think next season will tell us more. I agree he does seem off but he isn't getting targeted a lot either it seems

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":2dx3255a said:
I know he's coming off a major injury but does he seem to be off to you guys or is it just a matter of the offense in general being off? I hope he can return to his old form, he was turning into a big time threat before the injury.

TBH I thought he was a little overrated as a receiver after his rookie year.

Like everyone else in the passing attack he was a major beneficiary of that historic seven game tear Wilson went on in the back half of 2015, which was a glory to behold but totally unsustainable.

Just as after that tear Baldwin came back down to earth as just a very good WR (from a tip of the top tier receiver during that tear), Lockett came back down to earth as a perfectly fine #3 receiver in a functioning offense.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3rgm843g said:
getnasty":3rgm843g said:

Like everyone else in the passing attack he was a major beneficiary of that historic seven game tear Wilson went on in the back half of 2015, which was a glory to behold but totally unsustainable.

Just as after that tear Baldwin came back down to earth as just a very good WR (from a tip of the top tier receiver during that tear), Lockett came back down to earth as a perfectly fine #3 receiver in a functioning offense.

It certainly is sustainable. Get a cohesive semi functioning offensive line to provide Wilson with reasonable protection and watch Wilson dismantle whatever D is in front of him. Unsustainable would be to lose your job after once reaching the Superbowl and then to unfortunately find yourself unemployed.

RCATES

Reaction score
It's Wilson. He has been off every since the start of last year. Either he has taken a step back or the league has figured him and the offense out. Sadly neither he nor Bevell have been able to make a adjustment.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I think his returns prove he either isn't fully recovered or never will be.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":xgmuko5g said:
Popeyejones":xgmuko5g said:
getnasty":xgmuko5g said:

It certainly is sustainable. Get a cohesive semi functioning offensive line to provide Wilson with reasonable protection and watch Wilson dismantle whatever D is in front of him. Unsustainable would be to lose your job after once reaching the Superbowl and then to unfortunately find yourself unemployed.

Well, I mean, we already know it wasn’t sustainable because it wasn’t anywhere close to being sustained.

As for it hypothetically having been sustainable, that’s always possible, but whenever someone who you already have data on goes on an all time best historic tear over a short stretch you have to decide if they’ve suddenly become leaps and bounds better than what we even considered possible before, or if like every other wildly improbable conclusion resulting from a small sample size, you should predict regression back to the mean.

Since that truly epic and historic run the prediction — Russell Wilson is a very good QB, but probably not leaps and bounds better than the best QB who will ever play the position — was the correct one.

It’s no different than looking at Baldwin on that run and predicting he’d continue to be a very good WR, but probably wasn’t going to go on to average 25 TDs per season over the rest of his career (I’m guessing there — you’d project his TDs over those seven games across 16 games and then use that as your average annual TE totall if you didn’t think small sample size was partially at play).

Ozzy

Reaction score
RCATES":2dre1wtg said:
It's Wilson. He has been off every since the start of last year. Either he has taken a step back or the league has figured him and the offense out. Sadly neither he nor Bevell have been able to make a adjustment.

Couldn't disagree more. The line has been garbage throwing the whole thing out of whack. They seem to be playing slightly better so maybe it continues.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to hear a list of QB's that would win as much as Wilson has behind this Swiss Cheese o-line.
VERY few.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ccng81v said:
I'd like to hear a list of QB's that would win as much as Wilson has behind this Swiss Cheese o-line.
VERY few.

But, but Soul... it's the defense right? That's why RW wins. He's too short to win on his own. :sarcasm_off:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":28h5t6x4 said:
VERY few.
The injuries that Wilson sustained last season, and the disintegration of Pass Protection, a lack of Run push, and a merry-go-round of inadequate O-Line players, and people expect that he should overcome...No, FLOURISH in that environment?
Even though Tyler Lockett doesn't yet appear to have come back to pre-injury condition, he's still catching EVERYTHING thrown his way, I believe he will get back up to speed within the next few games.....He's a gamer.
I don't believe that Doug Baldwin is playing anywhere close to 100% either, but as they say, nobody is playing at their optimum at this point of the season.
Maybe this bi week will give everyone a little more time to get back up to snuff for the final stretch of the season eh?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I feel like with should name and figure out the algorithm for what I'd like to call The Dangeruss Formula:

The number of posts before every topic turns into a debate over if any problem is solely the fault of Russell Wilson or solely the fault of anything except Russell Wilson.

;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1fqffohr said:
That awesome streak wasn't due to our offensive line becoming good.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Defenses are playing pretty far off Lockett so far, I think they're committed to not letting him beat them over the top. It seems like a 10 yard pass to Lockett is pretty much a gimme this season, so I'd like to see us target him more for these short routes, and hopefully set up a double move deep later in the game.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":seoftsbl said:
:roll:
yeah, everything is Wilson. Like we don't hear that every day.......
Believe it or not, once the play gets to the stage that Wilson is throwing a ball to a receiver, the accuracy of that ball is in fact entirely up to Wilson. If he over- or under-throws a receiver, that is in fact on him and not something that can be blamed on Bevell or the OLine or anti-vaxxers or climate-change-deniers.

Similarly, when he drops a dime into the breadbasket of a receiver, that's also all on Wilson. He gets both credit when he does it well (as he normally does) and blame when he doesn't. Not so much lately, but in the first couple of games he was uncharacteristically off on some deep throws.

hawk45

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2j35txtt said:
Mistashoesta":2j35txtt said:
That awesome streak wasn't due to our offensive line becoming good.

Well, not "good" perhaps, but I think there's a case for reaching a minimum threshold of competence that allowed the quick-passing adjustments to function.

That line still had Sweezy and Okung, Gilliam was still showing promise at RT, Britt at LG could at least run-block. Early in the season the Drew Nowak experiment was ongoing, however.

The last half of the season they took pity on the fans and Russ and slotted Lewis back in at center. There is no question in my mind that the OL play improved noticeably after that.

This is why I do not feel that play calling adjustments alone can restore offensive prowess this season, and why it wasn't able to last season. We cannot reach that minimum threshold. We don't have the baseline talent that the 2015 team did, and instead of having better players like Lewis that can be plugged in to get to our mesh point, we are instead losing players out of a sorry starting pool to begin with in Fant and Joeckel.

adeltaY

Reaction score
There have been multiple instances where Lockett has been wide open and Russ has either not looked his way or had to take off to escape the rush.