Why is the pass rush so underwhelming again?

RussB

Reaction score
This has been the problem ever since XLIX. Its improved this season and not bad by any means, we are lucky to have such a good front 7. But they are so inconsistent, one game they look on fire, next game they cant get any pressure. What gives?

You see the Jags D line just feasting on teams and i don think they are that much more talented than our front.

Clark
Sheldon
Bennett
Reed
Smith
Nazir
Wagner(he can blitz)

These are talented players why isnt there a consistent suffocating pass rush? Are they just lazy?They are supposed to be harassing QB's.

Side note: i think mcdowell will be a monster if and when he comes back.

Steve2222

Reaction score
They've been underwhelming in the pass rush for sure. Run defense is suffocating though. Doesn't really help on third and longs though

sdog1981

Reaction score
The real story of the 2017 Seahawks is the lack of a pass rush.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sdog1981":1f23hqka said:
The real story of the 2017 Seahawks is the lack of a pass rush.

Well.....you really cannot say that they don't try. It is just that they cannot get to the QB in time!

Joyodongo

Reaction score
This is one more example of how this team has underachieved in these last years with tons of talent ...
And IMHO the responsible for this is an overrated coaching staff. PC in my opinion is an excellent motivator but little more than this. And Bevell gets all the hate but I think KR is also a very mediocre coordinator.
If I want to look at good coaches (except NE), I loot at what has McVay done with the Rams in one offseason (with more or less the same roster as the last year), Doug Pederson with the Eagles ...

nwHawk

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think our lineman are too lean. At times they get engulfed by their opponents. Clark needs an extra 10 lbs.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The DL has been the #1 disappointment on the team. Great against the run, but we need them to be great against the pass as well.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think Bennet has regressed tremendously this year. We had high expectations from him. Secondly, Clark flashed well at the beginning of the season, but have not noticed him much as of late. So when you have your top two rushers underperforming, things are not going to look good on the field.

hawker84

Reaction score
northseahawk":1b3orise said:
I think Bennet has regressed tremendously this year. We had high expectations from him. Secondly, Clark flashed well at the beginning of the season, but have not noticed him much as of late. So when you have your top two rushers underperforming, things are not going to look good on the field.

I agree with all of this, very disappointing. To be fair Bennett is playing on one leg for the most part. I also think we are missing Avril more than we realize. Not sure where Clark disappeared to, to me he's been the most disappointing?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Part of it has been opponents' game planning. It's hard to get much effective pressure when the universal plan is to get the ball out as quickly as possible. That's been most teams' go-to-strategy against the Hawks' D for a while now.

IdahoVandalHawk

Reaction score
Bevell gets all the hate, but Richard lacks serious creativity. Everyone knows what the Hawks are going to do in certain situations. That said, Richard does not have the tools Quinn had in 13-14, especially in the secondary. It's often overlooked how many times coverage sacks are created by a dominant secondary. if your secondary can't man up, it's very difficult to create pressure. The Hawks rarely get home, because the ball is gone.

getnasty

Reaction score
We've giving up just as many sacks as we've got this year, that almost doesn't seem possible.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
adeltaY":2t17of84 said:
The DL has been the #1 disappointment on the team. Great against the run, but we need them to be great against the pass as well.

Can't have both. And losing Cliff Avril early eliminated one of the best speed rushers in the NFL. Look at the Broncos with Von Miller. Without Demarcus Ware, easily contained and double teamed. Frank Clark isn't a good fit as an edge rusher.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Tbf, Avril wasn't playing well even before he got hurt. Could've turned it around though so you do have a good point.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Problem with the pass rush is that we let teams on 3rd and long hit underneath short routes and run to the first down. We are so conservative about protecting against the deep ball, that everyone is 9 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 7. If we played tighter, forced the QB to either heave it deep or hold onto the ball waiting for someone to get open, our pass rush would get there.

Pass rush and DB coverage go hand in hand. That is why Jacksonville feasts. Their secondary can cover and they are aggressive. We are far too conservative.

cymatica

Reaction score
Might have a little to do with the defensive scheme. When not executed at a high level, the keep it simple approach keeps it simple for the opposing qb. Could just be Pete handcuffing Richards. This defense, more now than ever, needs to mix things up and get aggressive.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I just am not seeing any play by the front seven that makes me go wow , didn't see that comin.
I agree totally that we are too vanilla.
The Washington loss still bugs me .
Reed being out seemed to make a difference .
I was stoked about the possibility of the dline being unstoppable in training camp but it has yet to materialize.
We haven't been the same since we lost Quinn so I get it but can't you look back at the way he did things and try to use that info and style to your advantage ?
Never been sold on KR.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Team is 9th in sacks.

A big problem is Hawk fans view of the world gets blurred watching the Hawk Oline. Every team's oline is better than Seattle and it's weird for them to see opposing QBs with nice pockets.

BTW - Bennett leads team w/ 6.5 sacks (20th in the league) and 8th in league in Tackles for loss with 11, while hurt. He is still the best Dlineman on the team and having a very good year.