Pete has to go

Threedee

Reaction score
I've never been concerned with the penalties. My complaints with Pete have mostly to do with the various failed Vikings that he constantly employs (Bevell, Harvin, Walsh) and his NOLine philosophy.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Cards on the table guys. Let's name some names. Who should take over? I need a laugh.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Threedee":3du6rim2 said:
I've never been concerned with the penalties. My complaints with Pete have mostly to do with the various failed Vikings that he constantly employs (Bevell, Harvin, Walsh) and his NOLine philosophy.
Since when did a coach that wins nearly 70% of the time get lumped into a "failed" category? I'll give you Harvin ... but even he contributed to a Super Bowl-winning season ... but most of those former Vikings had a place on the team. I liked Farwell, and he's still part of the squad as a special teams coach.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":9563w4ys said:
Threedee":9563w4ys said:
Since when did a coach that wins nearly 70% of the time get lumped into a "failed" category? I'll give you Harvin ... but even he contributed to a Super Bowl-winning season ... but most of those former Vikings had a place on the team. I liked Farwell, and he's still part of the squad as a special teams coach.

I have my issues with Bevell, but at the same time I also realize there are a lot worse situations to be in. I wonder if some of the people on here asking for Pete's head have ever played an organized sport in their life. They act like Seattle plays every season in a vacuum. News flash, Just because you have a better roster and coach on paper doesn't mean you automatically win the SB every year. There are a million little things that happen every day let alone every game that are out of your control. Those million little things also just happen to contribute to whether you win or lose on a given Sunday. Good teams are efficient at mitigating those million little variables. Seattle in it's current makeup is better at that than every other team in the NFL save the Patriots. That is no little thing. Not to mention that there are 31 other teams made up of 53 players getting paid just as much as the Seahawks. They bust their ass everyday to win just like the Seahawks. Seattle does't work harder or do things significantly better than any other team. They run the organization in a different way, which players like, but they're not the only team trying to win a SB every year. The way some of you guys talk on here you'd think the game is played by lining up trading cards and comparing player stats.

I would argue that anyone that wants Pete to go right now has never put in the work it takes to build a winning team at any significant level of competition. All you ask of your team is that it gets in the tournament as often as possible so they have a chance to win it all. Some years things don't line up, breaks don't go your way, players get injured, coaches make bad calls in critical situations, etc... But you don't tear it down until you suffer losing seasons or if the players revolt in mass. It's all so ludicrous. Do the guys that want Pete gone have their own personal worth so closely tied to Seahawk wins or losses that they just can't stand not winning every game or something? It's a game for god sake. If the team you root for gets into the tournament every season, you are way ahead of the game my friends!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1dug3lf1 said:
jammerhawk":1dug3lf1 said:
Disagree with the premise of the thread.

Pete has had the best record of any coach the team has ever had. I love his style and think his teams play hard for him.

There are times when 'BIG BALLS PETE" calls a crazy play, and in reality his clock management skills have never been his strong suit. He's a great coach!

Pete has also had the most talented roster in Seahawks history. Wins come hand in hand. Its when the team isnt that talented that a coach really shines. Petes not doing so great pertaining to that aspect.

Wow, I disagree.

The team has never done better for as long as it has with this regime. The league is generally very competitive save for Cleveland. Making the playoffs and advancing each season but one, winning a Super Bowl and returning again the next season is nothing to be sneezed at. The team is presently seriously depleted with injuries and looks to still be very competitive. You seriously assess the nature. And extent of out team's present injuries and you will conclude he is doing pretty darn well. He's not perfect and has some flaws but he is a damn fine coach and better than all but a very small few in the league. Just who is out there save for Belichek that is better long term and even available to replace him.

Pete was part of building this talented roster and with JS they are doing a better job than has ever been done befor here. Last season they couldn't run and changed the RBs coach, that failed, as have the players chosen to be kept at RB but largely b/c of injury but the guy they started the season with looked to be special but the others kept including guys who have been successful as pros have been underwhelming at best and more correctly totally ineffective. To me if there is any change to make it is moving on from Coach Cable who has failed abjectly in his job as running game coordinator and in developing a cohesive and effective OLine from a wide array of potential candidates. The team has not been cheap in giving him young talent of his choosing to work up. Cable is truly the guy that needs to go, Pete is doing fine.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3ijskxpa said:
UK_Seahawk":3ijskxpa said:
Cards on the table guys. Let's name some names. Who should take over? I need a laugh.

Crickets gif 9

The folks calling for Pete's head have no answer. They just want the team to win every game 50-0, otherwise the team sucks and Paul Allen should just relocate the team so they have nothing to whine about

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3tfgqr5s said:
Last season they couldn't run and changed the RBs coach, that failed,

Sherman Smith left because he recognized the issues and realized Pete wasnt going to change. There was tension there when Smith left or was let go. Easier to be gone than to keep beating your head against the wall. Smith gets it. Some fans dont.

Pete is doing fine.

I disagree. Pete is struggling and getting outcoached on numerous occasions. Doesnt matter though because the fans will just end up blaming everything on injuries instead of paying attention to how the team has been sliding the past 3 years.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":e7mvcdkp said:
Threedee":e7mvcdkp said:

Where do you get this "nearly 70%" number you keep erroneously throwing out every other post?? Under Carroll, the Seahawks are 76-45-1 in the regular season. 62.5%. Very good obviously but nowhere near 70%.

cymatica

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3oq92yqp said:
jammerhawk":3oq92yqp said:

Sherman Smith left because he recognized the issues and realized Pete wasnt going to change. There was tension there when Smith left or was let go. Easier to be gone than to keep beating your head against the wall. Smith gets it. Some fans dont.

Any source on that?

olyfan63

Reaction score
As others have pointed out...

Exactly WHICH *available* coach gives us a better chance to win now, and next year as well, than Pete?

Several eventual SB winners got in the tournament late, got hot at the right time. Just get in. Yes, homefield advantage improves the odds for this team, but it's not the only way. The 10-6 Giants took out the 16-0 Patriots a few years back. The 9-7 Cardinals with Kurt Warner made the Super and had it all but won except for a great throw by Big Ben. The 10-6 Packers won it all a few years back in the fugly bowl game.

While the odds of picking up a Lombardi this year aren't the best for the Seahawks, a couple key plays at the right time, a couple opponents being as unlucky on their injuries and timing, a couple key injured players returning, and next thing you know we're making a playoff run. With a better clutch field goal kicker, we could easily be 8-2 instead of 6-4. For sure Blair Walsh cost us the Redskins game at home; inexplicable; and then Walsh left the tying field goal short against the Falcons. For example, if we had Haushka back, he makes the FG that gives us a win over the skins, and hits the 51 yarder to send ATL game into overtime. IIRC, that was a salary cap casualty. We've been competitive in every game except at Tennessee, which was actually a single-score game at the end.

Pete does adjust, but yes, he is guilty at times of thinking so hard about how to impose our will on opponents, that he and Bevell fail to truly exploit the advantageous matchups. Losing to a banged-up Redskins team is the poster child here. But we go and beat a red-hot Rams team on the road. Go figure.

We still have Russell Wilson. We still have a chance. We still have a very good defense, that I believe will get better as the next men up in our secondary get more playing time and experience. Pete & co have had a good year on the D-Line, despite losing Cliff Avril. Our interior DL rotation is the best and deepest I can ever recall it being. We are probably one GOOD offensive coordinator (and better selection/choices on OL) away from having what it takes. If we fall short this year, next year actually looks very promising, if we can keep most of our strengths, get some guys back, and improve a couple major problem areas.

Moving on from Pete & Co accomplishes NOTHING. That would be a Jerry Jones knee-jerk emotional reaction one would expect from an over-entitled ownership and/or fan base. Anyone that would REALLY prefer Jerry Jones and his approach to what we currently have? So stop channeling Jerry Jones then.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":wwxsmqvi said:
pittpnthrs":wwxsmqvi said:
jammerhawk":wwxsmqvi said:

Any source on that?

Thanks, I never have heard any reported reason from any source. This leaves me to wonder where pittpnthrs got that bit of wisdom from other than bias against Pete.

Reality is Cable is supposed to be the "running game coordinator", a job it appears he is failing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2305apm4 said:
jammerhawk":2305apm4 said:

Pete is doing fine.

I disagree. Pete is struggling and getting outcoached on numerous occasions. Doesnt matter though because the fans will just end up blaming everything on injuries instead of paying attention to how the team has been sliding the past 3 years.

Sherman Smith was fired and didn't leave on his own. Here's some info on that from Sheil Kapadia who was the Seahawk reporter for ESPN earlier this year - http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0624287285843599089-4

But I agree that Cable needed to be fired as well. The longer they hold on to Cable the worse the running game will get. He's ruined the OL now he's ruining the running backs too. Look how Rawls is regressing and isn't showing any signs of improving at all.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
I'd like Pete to stay but to consider some of the recent struggles a wake up call and tweak (not totally change, but modify) some of his methods. I think the penalties this year are more than just playing "on the edge" but are rather an indication of lack of discipline and accountability, and that starts at the top.

Reaction score
I predict some day we're going to look back at the PC years as the "golden age" of the Seahawks. We've got a good thing going here, its not perfect but its been consistently better than anything we've EVER had. Change is not always a good thing. When Holmgren left and we brought in Jim Mora Jr., I was ready for a "fresh upgrade". That's not what we got.

Pete stays or we riot.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SanDiegoSeahawk":3l3jz92m said:
I predict some day we're going to look back at the PC years as the "golden age" of the Seahawks. We've got a good thing going here, its not perfect but its been consistently better than anything we've EVER had. Change is not always a good thing. When Holmgren left and we brought in Jim Mora Jr., I was ready for a "fresh upgrade". That's not what we got.

Pete stays or we riot.

"Some day" is now. There is absolutely no question that this is the golden age of Seahawks football. As far,as I'm concerned, Pete can stay as long as he likes.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
DangerousDoug":vrso7xwf said:
I'd like Pete to stay but to consider some of the recent struggles a wake up call and tweak (not totally change, but modify) some of his methods. I think the penalties this year are more than just playing "on the edge" but are rather an indication of lack of discipline and accountability, and that starts at the top.

The problem is that Carroll may never actually acknowledge any faults or deficiencies in his program or his philosophies. He's been around so long and based much of his strategy on Bud Grant principles that he may be incapable of keeping up with the constant changing times of the NFL.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":16u8mpuf said:
SanDiegoSeahawk":16u8mpuf said:

Pete stays or we riot.

"Some day" is now. There is absolutely no question that this is the golden age of Seahawks football. As far,as I'm concerned, Pete can stay as long as he likes.

Such weird philosophy. "You've done well for us so all your responsibility hence forth is gone, do what you like." Some of you guys are turning Pete into a demi-god.

Also the Jim Mora age didn't last that long, did it? And seriously if anyone bought into that garbage to begin with, well, you deserved to be disappointed.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":z0jjnouv said:
oldhawkfan":z0jjnouv said:
SanDiegoSeahawk":z0jjnouv said:

Pete stays or we riot.

Such weird philosophy. "You've done well for us so all your responsibility hence forth is gone, do what you like." Some of you guys are turning Pete into a demi-god.

Also the Jim Mora age didn't last that long, did it? And seriously if anyone bought into that garbage to begin with, well, you deserved to be disappointed.

If the team was going 1-8 or whatever since the Superbowl, then yes, the coach should be on the hot seat. Instead, they've gone to the playoffs 5 straight years, haven't lost consecutive games for over six seasons, etc

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1a168u4n said:
seahawkfreak":1a168u4n said:
oldhawkfan":1a168u4n said:
SanDiegoSeahawk":1a168u4n said:

Pete stays or we riot.

If the team was going 1-8 or whatever since the Superbowl, then yes, the coach should be on the hot seat. Instead, they've gone to the playoffs 5 straight years, haven't lost consecutive games for over six seasons, etc
You should not be happy with just 'making the playoffs' with the roster that we have fielded. Chancellor, Thomas, Wagner, and Sherman all have a realistic chance at the hall of fame, hell so does Wilson if he keeps up his pace. We had the chance to become a dynasty, and Pete squandered it. I'm grateful for what he has done, but it is clear that he is losing his edge. He has cost us several games due to questionable decisions, and poor clock management.

These days it feels like Carroll is playing checkers when the rest of the league is playing chess. I think his philosophy has grown stale, and his in game decisions are baffling as of late. The NFL is the not for long league, Carroll may have been at the top of his game a few years ago, but now he is nothing but a mediocre coach that has surrounded himself with a poor group of assistant coaches. We cannot cling to what Carroll has done for the Seahawks forever.

Let us put it this way; we have had several key games that have come down to decisions either Carroll or his staff did, or didn't make. It is a realistic thought that we could have at least two more wins at the moment even with all of these injuries. Or better yet, what would have record looked like with an offensive coordinator that didn't take a whole season to adapt to a poor offensive line?

Carroll and his staff have left a lot of winnable games on the board.