Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Who should we pay?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Who should we pay?
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:23 pm
  • Lower their upcoming cap numbers & lock up long term.
    -
    Duane Brown extension.
    Earl Thomas extension.

2015 Rookie Class
    -
    Frank Clark extension. bye Avril.
    Justin Coleman extension. bye Lane.
    Tyler Lockett extension. bye Paul.

UFAs
    -
    Sheldon Richardson.
    Jimmy Graham.

As long as all of these guys above get signed they will be fine.

===================

At a Bargain Only UFAs
    -
    Paul Richardson (Not Likely)
    Bradley McDougald (Not Likely)
    Byron Maxwell
    Luke Willson
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 pm
  • scrummymustard wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:1. Brown needs to be kept.
    2. Jimmy can be Franchise Tagged.
    3. If we can keep S.Richardson we should move on from Avril

I'd like to see Paul brought back on a 1 year deal to see if he can continue to say healthy and play at this level

Graham can be franchised for $15+ million, unlikely.

Not a chance.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:16 pm
  • scrummymustard wrote:

I'd like to see Paul brought back on a 1 year deal to see if he can continue to say healthy and play at this level

$10 Mil 2017* + 20% raise** = $12 million
    *http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jimmy-graham-6603/
    **https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/2/14/14584232/how-does-the-nfl-franchise-tag-work-players-paid
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:31 pm
  • Veilside wrote:We tend to focus on the biggest impact players no matter the position. Overall, we pay talent, and that is what I see us continuing to do.

Order of impact:

Earl Thomas
    Duane Brown
    Sheldon Richardson (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Tyler Lockett
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)

Of these I could see us prioritizing McDougal over Graham and Jockel over Richardson.

This!
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm
  • MAKE IT RAIN, BEEEEYOOOOOOOO....wait, what?

Oh, right. There's a cap. WRs will probably come and go. TEs even too. We need to invest more in the running game, more than likely. By proxy, that means we'll probably need to invest in or actually retain on the OL. It seems like the organization relies on Cable to coach guys up almost each and every year. Fine, whatever, but it's also affected our running game even though we have a couple backs who look like they can create (in 3 weeks anyway). It would seem that the skill positions, outside of RB, are more easily replaceable than OL, which is known to have more of a root password effect since football really began. Cable is in danger of being lynched often, but yet our investment in WRs and TEs is often a little silly. Defense? If you want to complain about investment in that then you don't want to win championships.

Running, blocking, and tackling are the 3 foundations of football at it's very roots. You cannot change this. With proficiency in those 3 things and better than average QB play, you are a contender every year.

Divvy out cash to that end.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm
  • Top Priorities:
    Earl Thomas
    Sheldon Richardson
    Duane Brown

Only sign whoever else can fit under the cap at a good price.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 pm
  • If we sign Duane Brown, why do we need to pay any receivers? Seriously ... If you give Russell an extra second, he can find any receiver on this earth ... Sign Brown and let go of Jimmy, Paul ... we can always sign Kearse back?
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    scrummymustard wrote:

$10 Mil 2017* + 20% raise** = $12 million
    *http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jimmy-graham-6603/
    **https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/2/14/14584232/how-does-the-nfl-franchise-tag-work-players-paid

His proration of signing bonus from the saints needs to be added back for the tag calculation. ($3 mil per year)

so it is 2017 salary of $9.9 (100k work out bonus gets taken out) + $3 mil proration of signing bonus = $12.9 * 120%=$15.48 million > the 2018 TE tag. Therefore $15.48 million to tag.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 am
  • joeseahawks wrote:If we sign Duane Brown, why do we need to pay any receivers? Seriously ... If you give Russell an extra second, he can find any receiver on this earth ... Sign Brown and let go of Jimmy, Paul ... we can always sign Kearse back?

Kearse is playing pretty well. Projecting his stats out for the year, he would finish with 68/903/7, which is awesome WR2 numbers. He only costs $5 million in 2018 and the jets have close to $90 million in cap space. I think he is a no brainer keep for them, possibly even an extension candidate as he is the only vet WR in that locker room.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 am
  • $2-3M for PRich? Crazy! He will get $7M APY absolute minimum!
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am
  • original poster wrote:$2-3M for PRich? Crazy! He will get $7M APY absolute minimum!

Maclin
    Cooper
    Wallace
    Benjamin
    Tate
    Sanu
    Woods
    Jones

These are the WR's you'd be comparing Richardson to if you're talking 6-8M a year range. Sorry, but P-Rich needs another 2-3 years of production and health before placing himself in the same category as guys like Maclin, Cooper, Tate, etc.

No way he gets 7M a year or more here, or anywhere.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    original poster wrote:$2-3M for PRich? Crazy! He will get $7M APY absolute minimum!

Maclin
    Cooper
    Wallace
    Benjamin
    Tate
    Sanu
    Woods
    Jones

These are the WR's you'd be comparing Richardson to if you're talking 6-8M a year range. Sorry, but P-Rich needs another 2-3 years of production and health before placing himself in the same category as guys like Maclin, Cooper, Tate, etc.

Look at when some of those guys got their contracts, though.

FA spending has gone crazy the last two years.

I don't think he should get $7M+, but I would expect at least one team to overpay.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:We have a few players coming due for new contracts in that next two years. Who would you like to see kept around with a nice payday from the Seahawks?

Sheldon Richardsdon (FA)
    Jimmy Graham (FA)
    Paul Richardson (FA)
    Luke Willson (FA)
    Bradley McDougal (FA)
    Luke Jockel (FA)
    Duane Brown
    Earl Thomas
    Tyler Lockett

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Call me crazy but I would love to have Bennett and Kam on that list as well to chose from. The front office needs to stop giving extensions early on third contracts and start letting the youth have a chance to prove themselves.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am
  • original poster wrote:
    I don't think he should get $7M+, but I would expect at least one team to overpay.

Then they'd be stupid, and no way John and Pete match an offer like that. Not with all our other needs, we can find another twitchy quick WR in the draft.

You wanna front load a 2-3 contract with 3M the first year guaranteed with a 1-2M bonus........then drop it down to 2-3M a year for three years?

I'm OK with that, but anything more and we're gambling on a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year, let alone produce like those other guys consistently to put him into the next category of salary.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year

He played in 15 games in two of his years and hasn't missed a game in this one. It's a bit of a nitpick and doesn't dismantle your argument entirely, but it does feel like you're overstating his injury history a bit.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year

He played in 15 games in two of his years and hasn't missed a game in this one. It's a bit of a nitpick and doesn't dismantle your argument entirely, but it does feel like you're overstating his injury history a bit.

Fair enough, but I'd say suiting up and barely playing as Richardson did for most of his first two years sitting behind Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett on the depth chart isn't exactly proving he can stay healthy and durable.

I'll change my point to WHEN Richardson has played, he's been dinged up and therefore still has to prove to me that he's deserving of a bigger contract than I've outlined above.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm
  • Sheldon Richardson (FA) - Yes
    Jimmy Graham (FA) - Yes
    Paul Richardson (FA) - No
    Luke Willson (FA) - No
    Bradley McDougal (FA) - Yes
    Luke Jockel (FA) - No
    Duane Brown - Maybe (Would be 34 years old if we extended him past 2018, wouldn't object to a 1-2 year extension, but anything else.. not so sure)
    Earl Thomas - ABSOLUTELY
    Tyler Lockett - Wait and see. I would let him play out his contract next season and go from there.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm
  • I think Graham is definitely going to resign. I actually like McDougal. Would be nice if we could keep him around too.

Richardson is definitely worth keeping but I think with McDowell coming back next season he might be turned loose in FA which will give us another 3rd comp pick.

Luke Willson is expendable since the emergence of Nick Vannett
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    original poster wrote:$2-3M for PRich? Crazy! He will get $7M APY absolute minimum!

Maclin
    Cooper
    Wallace
    Benjamin
    Tate
    Sanu
    Woods
    Jones

First off, I'd like to say there is no way that the Hawks should pay him $7+ a year, but it's entirely possible.

Some of these players are bad comparisons. Going off the top of my head so don't have exact details, but:

Maclin: was cut late; I wanna say August, when most teams were all set with their rosters and didnt truly hit free agency. He was on $11 mil a year previously and currently on his 4th contract (rookie, 1 year deal from eagles, chiefs and now Baltimore) He's also around 30, been in the league a long time.

Cooper & Benjamin: are rookie deals, have yet to hit FA.

Wallace: Was a bust after his huge $12 mil a year contract from the dolphins. This is his 3rd contract. Really is not special, id rather Richardson honestly.

Tate: signed his deal in 2014 when the cap was $133 million. The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014. Tate's deal would equate to $8.25 million now, so $7 million for Richardson isn't totally unreasonable.

Sanu: wasn't a reliable player when he received his deal. I mean he had like 30 catches, 400 yards and 0 TDs the year before he hit FA. He has grown into a nice player, but he didn't get paid for his production, but also his upside. Teams could look at Prich the same, altho I much prefer Sanu as a player over prich.

Woods and Jones, no argument here.

I think that Prich certainly could see $7 mil a year, I just hope it's not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

Then I'd prioritize the following;

1. Extending Earl
    2. Extending KJ
    3. Resign McDougall
    4. Resign Coleman
    5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
    6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
    7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy

Yeah. This is a pretty good breakdown. I see us losing Jimmy and Paul as it plays out. Maybe we can get a great tight end in the draft.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 am
  • scrummymustard wrote: The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014.

Where did you hear this? I hope it's true!
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 am
  • original poster wrote:
    scrummymustard wrote: The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014.

Where did you hear this? I hope it's true!

It has been posted a lot of places. OTC has it projected for $178 million. Looking at the trend of increases:

2014: $133 mil
    2015: $143 mil
    2016: $155 mil
    2017: $168 mil

Also, there are 15 teams with $40+ million in cap space, before any teams make any cuts/extensions. 11 teams have $50+ million with the Browns ($108) and 49ers having a ridiculous $116 million.

There is going to be crazy money thrown around come March.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information