Who should we pay?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":9l04v42q said:
$2-3M for PRich? Crazy! He will get $7M APY absolute minimum!

Maclin
Cooper
Wallace
Benjamin
Tate
Sanu
Woods
Jones

These are the WR's you'd be comparing Richardson to if you're talking 6-8M a year range. Sorry, but P-Rich needs another 2-3 years of production and health before placing himself in the same category as guys like Maclin, Cooper, Tate, etc.

No way he gets 7M a year or more here, or anywhere.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2uhsnahs said:
original poster":2uhsnahs said:

Maclin
Cooper
Wallace
Benjamin
Tate
Sanu
Woods
Jones

These are the WR's you'd be comparing Richardson to if you're talking 6-8M a year range. Sorry, but P-Rich needs another 2-3 years of production and health before placing himself in the same category as guys like Maclin, Cooper, Tate, etc.

Look at when some of those guys got their contracts, though.

FA spending has gone crazy the last two years.

I don't think he should get $7M+, but I would expect at least one team to overpay.

edogg23

Reaction score
Wenhawk":22v1m6pb said:
We have a few players coming due for new contracts in that next two years. Who would you like to see kept around with a nice payday from the Seahawks?

Sheldon Richardsdon (FA)
Jimmy Graham (FA)
Paul Richardson (FA)
Luke Willson (FA)
Bradley McDougal (FA)
Luke Jockel (FA)
Duane Brown
Earl Thomas
Tyler Lockett

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Call me crazy but I would love to have Bennett and Kam on that list as well to chose from. The front office needs to stop giving extensions early on third contracts and start letting the youth have a chance to prove themselves.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":24w8k0nb said:
I don't think he should get $7M+, but I would expect at least one team to overpay.

Then they'd be stupid, and no way John and Pete match an offer like that. Not with all our other needs, we can find another twitchy quick WR in the draft.

You wanna front load a 2-3 contract with 3M the first year guaranteed with a 1-2M bonus........then drop it down to 2-3M a year for three years?

I'm OK with that, but anything more and we're gambling on a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year, let alone produce like those other guys consistently to put him into the next category of salary.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ncudbx0 said:
a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year

He played in 15 games in two of his years and hasn't missed a game in this one. It's a bit of a nitpick and doesn't dismantle your argument entirely, but it does feel like you're overstating his injury history a bit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3natirzh said:
Sgt. Largent":3natirzh said:
a player who hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year

He played in 15 games in two of his years and hasn't missed a game in this one. It's a bit of a nitpick and doesn't dismantle your argument entirely, but it does feel like you're overstating his injury history a bit.

Fair enough, but I'd say suiting up and barely playing as Richardson did for most of his first two years sitting behind Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett on the depth chart isn't exactly proving he can stay healthy and durable.

I'll change my point to WHEN Richardson has played, he's been dinged up and therefore still has to prove to me that he's deserving of a bigger contract than I've outlined above.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sheldon Richardson (FA) - Yes
Jimmy Graham (FA) - Yes
Paul Richardson (FA) - No
Luke Willson (FA) - No
Bradley McDougal (FA) - Yes
Luke Jockel (FA) - No
Duane Brown - Maybe (Would be 34 years old if we extended him past 2018, wouldn't object to a 1-2 year extension, but anything else.. not so sure)
Earl Thomas - ABSOLUTELY
Tyler Lockett - Wait and see. I would let him play out his contract next season and go from there.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I think Graham is definitely going to resign. I actually like McDougal. Would be nice if we could keep him around too.

Richardson is definitely worth keeping but I think with McDowell coming back next season he might be turned loose in FA which will give us another 3rd comp pick.

Luke Willson is expendable since the emergence of Nick Vannett

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2revc117 said:
original poster":2revc117 said:

Maclin
Cooper
Wallace
Benjamin
Tate
Sanu
Woods
Jones

First off, I'd like to say there is no way that the Hawks should pay him $7+ a year, but it's entirely possible.

Some of these players are bad comparisons. Going off the top of my head so don't have exact details, but:

Maclin: was cut late; I wanna say August, when most teams were all set with their rosters and didnt truly hit free agency. He was on $11 mil a year previously and currently on his 4th contract (rookie, 1 year deal from eagles, chiefs and now Baltimore) He's also around 30, been in the league a long time.

Cooper & Benjamin: are rookie deals, have yet to hit FA.

Wallace: Was a bust after his huge $12 mil a year contract from the dolphins. This is his 3rd contract. Really is not special, id rather Richardson honestly.

Tate: signed his deal in 2014 when the cap was $133 million. The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014. Tate's deal would equate to $8.25 million now, so $7 million for Richardson isn't totally unreasonable.

Sanu: wasn't a reliable player when he received his deal. I mean he had like 30 catches, 400 yards and 0 TDs the year before he hit FA. He has grown into a nice player, but he didn't get paid for his production, but also his upside. Teams could look at Prich the same, altho I much prefer Sanu as a player over prich.

Woods and Jones, no argument here.

I think that Prich certainly could see $7 mil a year, I just hope it's not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capncrunch

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23fguc2k said:
Brown is #1, and it's not even close.

Then I'd prioritize the following;

1. Extending Earl
2. Extending KJ
3. Resign McDougall
4. Resign Coleman
5. Trying to sign Richardson (Sheldon) to a long term deal
6. Giving Jimmy at least an offer, then letting him test FA if he wants
7. Same thing with P-Rich, decent offer but nothing crazy

Yeah. This is a pretty good breakdown. I see us losing Jimmy and Paul as it plays out. Maybe we can get a great tight end in the draft.

original poster

Reaction score
scrummymustard":3436ppg3 said:
The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014.

Where did you hear this? I hope it's true!

scrummymustard

Reaction score
original poster":38qtx90p said:
scrummymustard":38qtx90p said:
The cap is projected to be $180 million next year, and teams now have way more available cap space than did teams in 2014.

Where did you hear this? I hope it's true!

It has been posted a lot of places. OTC has it projected for $178 million. Looking at the trend of increases:

2014: $133 mil
2015: $143 mil
2016: $155 mil
2017: $168 mil

Also, there are 15 teams with $40+ million in cap space, before any teams make any cuts/extensions. 11 teams have $50+ million with the Browns ($108) and 49ers having a ridiculous $116 million.

There is going to be crazy money thrown around come March.