Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Dear Pete: I no longer enjoy the team you put on the field.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.

    I'll start with I've been a fan since '76. I've seen all the bad years where you knew there was little chance of a W, but you watched to see that catch by Largent, or run by Warner, or 3rd down conversion by Dr. Dan, and even the occasional upset. We didn't expect much but just had hope that we'd one day put it together.

    Fast forward to now. The product I'm watching now is extremely irritating for me to watch. We make the same mistakes, game after game, and at a coaching level year after year. We know the team has the ability to put it all together, but for a number of reason just doesn't. Some fans want to say, Refs, Injuries, ect., they want to point everywhere but inside the organization.
    I say this lies squarely on Pete. His free form style is catching up to him. His lack of adjustments to changing circumstances and holding his coaching staff accountable has lost the respect of at least some players.

    After watching that ending on Sunday I can officially say I am disgusted with our team. Losing is one thing, but the lack of discipline on this team, and spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening. Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson....I'm talking to you. I seriously hope the NFL throws the book at us and we get what is deserved for that shit show of sportsmanship. It will take hitting bottom to bring about change, and sadly I doubt we are quite at bottom. I've purchased no new gear this year, and am considering turning them off on Sundays for the first time in 41 years.

    I do know that "this too shall pass" when it comes to feelings. I just have no idea when at this point.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles? We fans are a funny and fickle bunch.

    Gotta love the day after a loss. :34853_doh:
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11771
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles?


    Like I said, It's not about W's and L's. I've felt this coming since last season with the mistakes, penalties, oline personel, ect taking place. The W just puts it on hold for a week in some cases.

    That and the sub standard accountability has been disturbing for sometime.
    Last edited by Seymour on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • The Monday after a loss, always the time for some serious hyperbole. Hoping the team is less compettitive nexr weekend? OK, whatever?

    Mr C. Little, the sky actually isn't falling.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4835
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • I have a feeling winning would cure this problem.
    SeaChickN
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 pm


  • Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement”
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13354
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • LOL

    The entire team is competing their asses off, in the face of overwhelming injuries and other obstacles.

    If you don't like it, then don't watch. :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • The whininess of this thread can only be properly discussed in the shack.

    :stirthepot:
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


  • Aros wrote:Just curious - sportsmanship aspect aside - did you feel the same way about this team after last week's win against the Eagles? We fans are a funny and fickle bunch.

    Gotta love the day after a loss. :34853_doh:


    I have felt that way for a couple of years now. Last week's eagles game, however, was the first time I have felt entertained in a long time.
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1334
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


  • Pete built this program and brought it success.

    He's accomplished more than Holmgren, and any other coach has in franchise history.

    The team is 8-5. That's a winning record. Let me repeat that: THE TEAM IS 8-5. THAT'S A WINNING RECORD.

    Have we lost 7 games in a row like Denver had? Nope. Have we started the season 0-13 for two consecutive seasons like the Browns? Nope.

    Just enjoy the ride man. If cheering on an 8-5 team is that dissapointing and frustrating for you, then why even bother watching? If you're so convinced nothing will change and the season is done, just do something else.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2255
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • You can't say this team is boring though. In every game to the bitter end. In the 80's and 90's I'd have killed for a team like that.

    A few teams have enchanted seasons each year. it's always different teams though. We had that in 2005 and 2013. The rest of the time you hope to be competitive and in the fight. To expect that enchantment year after year is over the top.

    I get that people hate penalties. But that can't be the reason you hate the team. They compete like crazy unlike some of the Erickson and Holmgren teams. That in itself is going to lead to penalties. It's hard to have choirboys in this league and win.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


  • Jerhawk wrote:Pete built this program and brought it success.

    He's accomplished more than Holmgren, and any other coach has in franchise history.

    The team is 8-5. That's a winning record. Let me repeat that: THE TEAM IS 8-5. THAT'S A WINNING RECORD.

    Have we lost 7 games in a row like Denver had? Nope. Have we started the season 0-13 for two consecutive seasons like the Browns? Nope.

    Just enjoy the ride man. If cheering on an 8-5 team is that dissapointing and frustrating for you, then why even bother watching? If you're so convinced nothing will change and the season is done, just do something else.


    Another missed the point. I have a feeling I'll be doing this often.

    Seymour wrote:This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Last 101 regular season games . . . only one of them was a defeat by more than 10 points. Only three times have they lost by more than seven points. I understand close defeats are a disappointment. But to call it uncompetitive or boring football is delusional.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


  • I have some of these sentiments, though not because the games are close or frustrating or because of coaching decisions. I don't expect every choice by coaches or players to always work. It's the loss of composure at the end, cheap shots at someone's knees after a play, throwing punches. It's embarrassing to me as a fan of that team that my team acted that way. I guess, based on comments here, I'm supposed to just chalk it up to adrenaline and emotion and say those kinds of actions are OK? Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'm struggling to find a reason to cheer for players that act like this.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2939
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13354
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • StoneCold wrote:I have some of these sentiments, though not because the games are close or frustrating or because of coaching decisions. I don't expect every choice by coaches or players to always work. It's the loss of composure at the end, cheap shots at someone's knees after a play, throwing punches. It's embarrassing to me as a fan of that team that my team acted that way. I guess, based on comments here, I'm supposed to just chalk it up to adrenaline and emotion and say those kinds of actions are OK? Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'm struggling to find a reason to cheer for players that act like this.


    No. Not at all.

    But I know you have perspective enough to understand what these players fight for (basically you) and that this is the way of the NFL. It’s players are expected to battle through life altering injuries to win games and when anything less is given, fans take to bemoaning their “brattiness”

    Where’s the line? And who are we to determine where it is? Because that to me would be greatly hypocritical
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13354
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Seymour wrote:This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.

    I'll start with I've been a fan since '76. I've seen all the bad years where you knew there was little chance of a W, but you watched to see that catch by Largent, or run by Warner, or 3rd down conversion by Dr. Dan, and even the occasional upset. We didn't expect much but just had hope that we'd one day put it together.

    Fast forward to now. The product I'm watching now is extremely irritating for me to watch. We make the same mistakes, game after game, and at a coaching level year after year. We know the team has the ability to put it all together, but for a number of reason just doesn't. Some fans want to say, Refs, Injuries, ect., they want to point everywhere but inside the organization.
    I say this lies squarely on Pete. His free form style is catching up to him. His lack of adjustments to changing circumstances and holding his coaching staff accountable has lost the respect of at least some players.

    After watching that ending on Sunday I can officially say I am disgusted with our team. Losing is one thing, but the lack of discipline on this team, and spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening. Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson....I'm talking to you. I seriously hope the NFL throws the book at us and we get what is deserved for that shit show of sportsmanship. It will take hitting bottom to bring about change, and sadly I doubt we are quite at bottom. I've purchased no new gear this year, and am considering turning them off on Sundays for the first time in 41 years.

    I do know that "this too shall pass" when it comes to feelings. I just have no idea when at this point.



    I hear you, man. I did not enjoy myself watching the game on Sunday. But, it was not ALL because of the players. Yes, they were idiots a few times, but my enjoyment was squashed mostly by the OFFICIALS. I mean, come on with the no-flags against them and imaginary flags against us throughout the game. My frustration was at a boiling point just watching it on TV, and if I were on the field seeing the opposition get away with their crap and seeing us get phantom calls against us, I'd like to think I'd be a better man and let it roll off my back, but I don't make a living hitting people either. So, no excuse for piss poor behavior, but I understand that sometimes players feel like they have to lash out.
    User avatar
    aawolf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 612
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am


  • hawknation2017 wrote:Last 101 regular season games . . . only one of them was a defeat by more than 10 points. Only three times have they lost by more than seven points. I understand close defeats are a disappointment. But to call it uncompetitive or boring football is delusional.


    Who called it uncompetitive or boring?
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:I have some of these sentiments, though not because the games are close or frustrating or because of coaching decisions. I don't expect every choice by coaches or players to always work. It's the loss of composure at the end, cheap shots at someone's knees after a play, throwing punches. It's embarrassing to me as a fan of that team that my team acted that way. I guess, based on comments here, I'm supposed to just chalk it up to adrenaline and emotion and say those kinds of actions are OK? Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but I'm struggling to find a reason to cheer for players that act like this.


    No. Not at all.

    But I know you have perspective enough to understand what these players fight for (basically you) and that this is the way of the NFL. It’s players are expected to battle through life altering injuries to win games and when anything less is given, fans take to bemoaning their “brattiness”

    Where’s the line? And who are we to determine where it is? Because that to me would be greatly hypocritical


    I understand how hard this game is on the players and greatly respect what they go through to play. I draw the line at actively trying to hurt another player. The second time that Bennet (God don't let this turn into a Bennet thread) rolls into their center was pretty bad. He didn't, but he could have ended that players season and maybe career. It's hard to reconcile that with wanting to go to the game ( I have tickets for next Sunday) and scream until I'm hoarse to show my support.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2939
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • he was getting his junk grabbed. Not making excuses but those two were battling dirty.

    I’m with you. But shit, we watch these guys smash into each other at speeds that should (And one day probably will) hurt each terribly. Hard to tell them when it’s over.

    I get the point on coaching. I certainly agree with Seymour there.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13354
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I was embarrassed to be a Hawks fan after the game yesterday.

    Zero class shown by some of our "core" players
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2617
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • Uncle Si wrote:he was getting his junk grabbed. Not making excuses but those two were battling dirty.

    I’m with you. But shit, we watch these guys smash into each other at speeds that should (And one day probably will) hurt each terribly. Hard to tell them when it’s over.

    I get the point on coaching. I certainly agree with Seymour there.


    Junk grabbing. I'm going to have to get the XXX replay and watch that.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2939
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 238
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


  • Sgt Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.


    What happened to your regular account?
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16855
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Again, this thread cannot be appropriately addressed unless it is in the shack. JMO.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.


    What happened to your regular account?


    Not sure what you are referring to. There are two Sgt Largents. One with a . and one without a .

    I'm the no . one
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 238
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


  • Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3655
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I'm more impressed with the one sentence deep thinkers myself. (Irony realized)
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 238
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2939
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • StoneCold wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3655
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • StoneCold wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    I agree. Some will call BS on this because they don't put that line to cross in the same place that others may. To them I say enjoy, but remember there are those that place higher value on different standards that you nay have.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    I just told you I would have.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2939
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    You should read what he actually wrote. He answered the question before you even asked it.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Sgt Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.


    I didn't have time to address that post at the time, but damn, I think you may have done better with it than I would have. Thank you for taking the time, I agree with everything you posted there. Excellent job. :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Sounds like more whining after a Seahawks loss on this forum, no surprise.


    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    You should read what he actually wrote. He answered the question before you even asked it.


    I read his response. But the majority of fans cry after a loss and cheer after a win. Regardless of how the team acted.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3655
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    You should read what he actually wrote. He answered the question before you even asked it.


    I read his response. But the majority of fans cry after a loss and cheer after a win. Regardless of how the team acted.


    Then you read it and did not believe him then IMO.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    I can only speak for myself, but I would be just as disappointed in that behavior if we'd won. Perhaps even more so as there would have been no excuse instead of a thin excuse.


    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    You should read what he actually wrote. He answered the question before you even asked it.


    I read his response. But the majority of fans cry after a loss and cheer after a win. Regardless of how the team acted.


    Not to mention it's highly unlikely that anything that happened in the last 50-some seconds would have happened if we had been winning. And after winning, everyone would have been completely jacked up about how awesome we are. Your observation of "spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening... Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson" would have at best been Graham (?), Ifedi, maybe Bennett, which would have been offset by the dirty plays by Jville/their fans. This argument is being made because we lost, and would NOT have been the same had we won.

    Maybe the fans aren't very good at losing either.
    SeaChickN
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 pm


  • Sgt Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Sportsmanship.

    In the NFL.

    My goodness.

    Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

    But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement


    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.


    That’s the hypocrisy isn’t it?

    Identity with a bunch of people we cannot empathize with about their jobs yet call them names and question their intelligence, heart, etc.

    But yes, calling that out is self aggrandizement. (Nice “gotcha” try though. Sure got Seymour grinning)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13354
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Entirely missed the point.


    Nope. Not at all.

    I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

    You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

    Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from


    You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

    These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

    The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

    One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

    Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.


    That’s the hypocrisy isn’t it?

    Identity with a bunch of people we cannot empathize with about their jobs yet call them names and question their intelligence, heart, etc.

    But yes, calling that out is self aggrandizement. (Nice “gotcha” try though. Sure got Seymour grinning)


    More clear evidence you just don't get it. I am bummed about this whole thing like a loss in the family.
    I got zero joy from that other than it's nice knowing that someone does indeed understand the exact feeling.
    That is also why I will not engage in your debate on this, I have no energy for that.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • SeaChickN wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    The differnce is we aren't winning all the time. These are the same guys and attitudes we had the past five years. It just sucks when you don't win at the rate we used to. I'm guessing no one would have had a problem with this team had we won yesterday.


    You should read what he actually wrote. He answered the question before you even asked it.


    I read his response. But the majority of fans cry after a loss and cheer after a win. Regardless of how the team acted.


    Not to mention it's highly unlikely that anything that happened in the last 50-some seconds would have happened if we had been winning. And after winning, everyone would have been completely jacked up about how awesome we are. Your observation of "spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening... Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson" would have at best been Graham (?), Ifedi, maybe Bennett, which would have been offset by the dirty plays by Jville/their fans. This argument is being made because we lost, and would NOT have been the same had we won.

    Maybe the fans aren't very good at losing either.


    That's the other part to it. Not only do fans act out after losses, but so does the team. Everything is perfect when you win, but when you don't, it can get ugly.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3655
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • I don't know about all of you but I like to see guys get pissed at losing ..It bothers them and they care about winning.
    Maybe from this point on it lights a match going foward in a good way.
    Do I agree with the ending?How many times have you seen the Hawks get like that?I feel like the Jags players were doing things outside of what some think is sportmanship...
    We know their fans sure were!
    I have been a Hawks fan from the start and have no desire to see a nice .500 team again.
    Pete got us here(SB Champs!) and he will be gone sooner than later but he can leave under his terms.
    Seymour take a break from the game man..You sound burned out.
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3729
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • Discipline, accountability, and respect. It’s as easy as that. The players have accountability, they are evaluated every year. You make the team, you don’t make the team. Hard to see if coaches shoulder that same accountability. It certainly appears in this organization there is a lot of rope.
    Discipline, I’d say both players and coaches lack discipline. Penalties galore from players along with again perceived poor discipline from coaches. We can see it with something as simple as clock management and how we use challenges.
    Respect I believe is very visible and the players don’t have it. I don’t care how other teams play. You should be taught to play respecting the game and respecting your opponent. This shows up almost exclusively after a loss. Win like a man, lose like a man. Emotions run hot, I understand, but these are adults, not 5-year olds.
    It is hard to support some of the players on this team and their actions stain the organization. I will continue to support the Hawks, always will. But I would gladly give up on some of our “talent” for a team I can be proud to support.
    User avatar
    Wizofwest
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 pm


  • Mad Dog wrote:You can't say this team is boring though. In every game to the bitter end. In the 80's and 90's I'd have killed for a team like that.

    A few teams have enchanted seasons each year. it's always different teams though. We had that in 2005 and 2013. The rest of the time you hope to be competitive and in the fight. To expect that enchantment year after year is over the top.

    I get that people hate penalties. But that can't be the reason you hate the team. They compete like crazy unlike some of the Erickson and Holmgren teams. That in itself is going to lead to penalties. It's hard to have choirboys in this league and win.

    You can say the 1st halves are boring as they only score 0 - 10 points.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24321
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Seymour wrote:This is not just about W's or L's, it is about buying in, being entertained, and feeling a part of something good.

    I'll start with I've been a fan since '76. I've seen all the bad years where you knew there was little chance of a W, but you watched to see that catch by Largent, or run by Warner, or 3rd down conversion by Dr. Dan, and even the occasional upset. We didn't expect much but just had hope that we'd one day put it together.

    Fast forward to now. The product I'm watching now is extremely irritating for me to watch. We make the same mistakes, game after game, and at a coaching level year after year. We know the team has the ability to put it all together, but for a number of reason just doesn't. Some fans want to say, Refs, Injuries, ect., they want to point everywhere but inside the organization.
    I say this lies squarely on Pete. His free form style is catching up to him. His lack of adjustments to changing circumstances and holding his coaching staff accountable has lost the respect of at least some players.

    After watching that ending on Sunday I can officially say I am disgusted with our team. Losing is one thing, but the lack of discipline on this team, and spoiled tantrums by a few of it's leaders is sickening. Graham, Bennett, Ifedi, Richardson, Jefferson....I'm talking to you. I seriously hope the NFL throws the book at us and we get what is deserved for that shit show of sportsmanship. It will take hitting bottom to bring about change, and sadly I doubt we are quite at bottom. I've purchased no new gear this year, and am considering turning them off on Sundays for the first time in 41 years.

    I do know that "this too shall pass" when it comes to feelings. I just have no idea when at this point.


    I completely get your post. I think it's particularly important to hold on to the idea of sportsmanship. I guess you either get this and hold it dear, or you don't and your an apologist (Uncle Si).
    idle Eric
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 am
    Location: England


  • Or you are one of the posters who has been actively rooting for Seahawks players to "get burned" and for Pete Carroll to be fired, long before the last game.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


  • Where in the rulebook of sanity does it say you can have a beer dumped on your head, a gatorade container thrown at your face and, worse than worse, you're called a N-word. Further, you just spent three hours playing a contact "sport" and you just lost a squeaker with a missed penalty by the refs. And the "teams" of "players" just completed two back to back fights on the field, the latter of these got you ejected.

    I'd be surprised if he didn't do anything but walk thru the beverage rain.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    User avatar
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *
     
    Posts: 3677
    Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
    Location: The Rain Forest


  • Respect of the other team is a two way street and awfully easy to say while sitting in the living room eating nachos. Some games are more contentious than others and is nearly impossible to end with a handshake and a "good game bro" this was one of those.
    907Hawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:03 pm
    Location: Fairbanks Alaska


  • hawknation2017 wrote:Or you are one of the posters who has been actively rooting for Seahawks players to "get burned" and for Pete Carroll to be fired, long before the last game.


    Or you could be one of the posters who continues to not read posts properly and misses the point. Sounds like your own agenda is clouding your view slightly mate . Who said fire Pete Carrol !? or that i want to see our players "get burned" !?

    What on earth are you talking about ?
    idle Eric
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 am
    Location: England


  • idle Eric wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:Or you are one of the posters who has been actively rooting for Seahawks players to "get burned" and for Pete Carroll to be fired, long before the last game.


    Or you could be one of the posters who continues to not read posts properly and misses the point. Sounds like your own agenda is clouding your view slightly mate . Who said fire Pete Carrol !? or that i want to see our players "get burned" !?

    What on earth are you talking about ?


    Good eye. He is referring to me in exaggerated half truths from months ago all do to agenda.

    Ignore the banter as it is what it is, much like a pesky fly in the room.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Next


It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online