Dear Pete: I no longer enjoy the team you put on the field.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
You must mean I'm missing your bigger picture.

idle Eric

Reaction score
hawknation2017":16czsmim said:
idle Eric":16czsmim said:
They want our players to "get burned" is a narrative you've created.

No, it's actually a direct quote.

There are a number of posters here who have chosen to dedicate their time to maligning the Seahawks' players and coaches. They say that they want to see players like Richard Sherman "get burned" or Michael Bennett fail. They beat the same dead horse over and over again, even when a young player (like Germain Ifedi) shows improved technique.

The expectation of Super Bowls or bust in Seattle has created a number of petulant posters who gain more satisfaction from bashing the players and coaches than they do from watching the in-game competition. In some ways, this thread is just another regurgitation of "Pete has to go." In others, it is more telling.

It's their opinion. You may have read that "get burned" quote by one poster but the vast majority of critical posts on here are constructive. To me they read as people who love their team and want the best for it . You choose to read it as they ALL must want to see their team loose. You've actually done this with Seymoures thread. With all respect it sounds like your assuming an awful lot about pretty much EVERYONE who dares to be critical. A fundamental of a forum is differences of opinion, And if they happen to be very critical opinions being told to "go and support another teams" is not very intelligent or good for debate.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
idle Eric":3045d0xw said:
hawknation2017":3045d0xw said:
idle Eric":3045d0xw said:

There are a number of posters here who have chosen to dedicate their time to maligning the Seahawks' players and coaches. They say that they want to see players like Richard Sherman "get burned" or Michael Bennett fail. They beat the same dead horse over and over again, even when a young player (like Germain Ifedi) shows improved technique.

The expectation of Super Bowls or bust in Seattle has created a number of petulant posters who gain more satisfaction from bashing the players and coaches than they do from watching the in-game competition. In some ways, this thread is just another regurgitation of "Pete has to go." In others, it is more telling.

It's their opinion. You may have read that "get burned" quote by one poster but the vast majority of critical posts on here are constructive. To me they read as people who love their team and want the best for it . You choose to read it as they ALL must want to see their team loose. You've actually done this with Seymoures thread. With all respect it sounds like your assuming an awful lot about pretty much EVERYONE who dares to be critical. A fundamental of a forum is differences of opinion, And if they happen to be very critical opinions being told to "go and support another teams" is not very intelligent or good for debate.

It's a quote. As the OP admitted, he is the one who wants to see Richard Sherman "get burned." And it's not all posters, it's some who are mind-numbingly negative. I am referring only to those who actively root for players and coaches to fail; that's not a debate.

It is the absence of constructive criticism that I see as the problem. You might think that's just fine, and you're entitled to your opinion. I find it to be petulant and annoying; that's my opinion.

idle Eric

Reaction score
As I've said i read the vast majority of critics on this forum as constructive realists. But it would seem you read it very differently. This forum seems to be very polarised with out much room for debate. A shame.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":36raa0qp said:
idle Eric":36raa0qp said:
hawknation2017":36raa0qp said:
idle Eric":36raa0qp said:

It's a quote. As the OP admitted, he is the one who wants to see Richard Sherman "get burned." And it's not all posters, it's some who are mind-numbingly negative. I am referring only to those who actively root for players and coaches to fail; that's not a debate.

It is the absence of constructive criticism that I see as the problem. You might think that's just fine, and you're entitled to your opinion. I find it to be petulant and annoying; that's my opinion.

The hell I did. I said it was an exaggerated half truth which it was, You said I wanted players to get burned, Exaggeration, I said I hope Sherman (that is one, uno, singular player) gets scorched after his calling out of Wilson that he wasn't held to thesame standards others were. This was months ago yet you hang on like child to a bad dream. Time to get over it and move on don't ya think?

Also, the other exaggeration you made is I said if Pete won't hold his coaches accountable then yes he need to go. I also added I prefer Cable goes and Pete stays. How many times are you going to use and cling to this horse shit? I can smell it a mile away.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
idle Eric":qou327yl said:
As I've said i read the vast majority of critics on this forum as constructive realists. But it would seem you read it very differently. This forum seems to be very polarised with out much room for debate. A shame.

Constructive criticism is my favorite kind of criticism. :2thumbs:

It's one reason I wish the Seahawks would hire back Ken Norton, Jr. in some capacity. He was a loud voice and strong disciplinarian, especially for the defensive players. Norton isn't a "cure all," but it's one thing I miss about the 2010-14 Seahawks teams.

rjas77

Reaction score
I hear you Seymour. I recall the 2011/2012 season with Tavaris as QB, Lynch in his his first full year and the beginning of an OL that had a nasty attitude, along with a backfield of youth playing like Banshees. We finished 7-9 with no post season, but the team was still a joy to behold.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Geez, don’t like watching? Don’t watch, it’s a simple effective and elegant solution.

Root against the team and the players? Whatever? Count me out, never in on that pure codswallop. However, don’t lay your sanctimonious hyperbole out as truth, it isn’t. The only ‘agenda’ we should have here is being fans.

The team lost, Boo Hoo! Without doubt they were undisciplined at the end, and that was seriously disappointing. Am I still a fan? Are you kidding? My team is better than they showed yesterday. I know Pete was choked b/c always competing doesn’t mean fighting when you lose. Players will be reminded of their responsibilities with fines, and by the staff.

Yesterday two teams played very tough physical football. The referees were weak, missed obvious penalties, called some that were either simply wrong or not fouls. They ended our team’s final drive by weak officiating and worse they were not in control of the game. There were more than a few scrums they should have taken control of, but didn’t. Beer cans thrown at players, etc., should not be acceptable anywhere. Steratore is a horrible and biased referee, that crew needs a makeup artist b/c they like to see themselves on TV, and I’d rather watch football rather than fights, or puffed up dudes in stripes. Hope we don’t see Steratore and that crew again this year.

The fight at the end of the game was not one-sided and our guys should have not engaged, but if some guy grabs my junk I will respond in an absolutely unfriendly way as forceably as needed, nice is long gone.MB competes all the game, period. The Seahawks are poor sports? Whatever? Where is the outrage about Fournette? He elevated the scuffle from shoving, and I frankly hope Richardson’s shot stung him.

The team lost, deal with it. I very much enjoy watching them play, even when they are frustrating to watch.

Next up, The Rams!

Easy Royal

Reaction score
I think seymour is spot on. Ive been a fan since the knox era. i dont ever remember any of the seahawks teams ever acting like this, (well the boz maybe) I think if jacksonville had pulled the seahawks antics at the end of the game if it had been held at century link, you guys would be losing your minds! I told my girlfriend when the game was on and jacksonville went into the victory formation, that we were going to start a huge fight ( like we have done the last three times) Look if it drew the attention of the entire national media, our teams outta control plain and simple. You guys can simplify his post down to oh your just mad because we lost, but there is much more to it than that.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Pats got into scuffle during kneel down tonight.....

Not much was said.

strohmin

Reaction score
Ive been feeling like this for 3 years. This team has not played the same since that Super Bowl loss. Theybecome more irritating to watch with each game. That eagles game seems like more of a trap game for them then us actually winning.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Easy Royal":1eefn69b said:
I think seymour is spot on. Ive been a fan since the knox era. i dont ever remember any of the seahawks teams ever acting like this, (well the boz maybe) I think if jacksonville had pulled the seahawks antics at the end of the game if it had been held at century link, you guys would be losing your minds! I told my girlfriend when the game was on and jacksonville went into the victory formation, that we were going to start a huge fight ( like we have done the last three times) Look if it drew the attention of the entire national media, our teams outta control plain and simple. You guys can simplify his post down to oh your just mad because we lost, but there is much more to it than that.

Maybe but it is not like that outrage would be disputed here. Why would any of our fan base dig into a hot item when it would be easy to just jump on the dirty band wagon. Fact is there was no illegal play on the victory formation. Ref didn't see Jacksonville's center grab Bennett's balls so there should have been at least duel penalties there. Richardson was ejected for throwing a punch and not sure what Jefferson did to be ejected but he was. Penalty maybe but it seems like he was a scape goat for what previously happened. Sorry but as soon as I saw someone throw a drink at QJ,,,I wanted him to go and kick that guys ass.

Think everyone here should be specific on exactly what they are pissed about with the many altercations. Simply lumping all together and explaining that "Pete has lost this team" is moronic. Lot of shit happened in a small time frame and it was caused from the way the game was refereed and a lot of crap that was going on at the field during the game.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I'm with you Seymour. This is the 1st year I've sold tickets (for face value, not profit). I didn't sell any until after I went to the game in Nashville. I just want to see Michael Bennett off this team. I went back and re-watched the play with Bennett supposedly swiping at the ball and see nothing but a dirty player. I think a lot of the other guys are getting caught up in his drama because they are supporting a team leader. So sad he is a team leader and that he is a nominee for the Walter Payton award (Payton was a complete class act). I haven't been going to the games because it just isn't as fun this year. I still watch but crap like what happened on Sunday makes that a challenge.

idle Eric

Reaction score
Seymour":2p9zg3oy said:
hawknation2017":2p9zg3oy said:
idle Eric":2p9zg3oy said:
hawknation2017":2p9zg3oy said:

The hell I did. I said it was an exaggerated half truth which it was, You said I wanted players to get burned, Exaggeration, I said I hope Sherman (that is one, uno, singular player) gets scorched after his calling out of Wilson that he wasn't held to thesame standards others were. This was months ago yet you hang on like child to a bad dream. Time to get over it and move on don't ya think?

Also, the other exaggeration you made is I said if Pete won't hold his coaches accountable then yes he need to go. I also added I prefer Cable goes and Pete stays. How many times are you going to use and cling to this horse shit? I can smell it a mile away.

The blinkered attitude results in an agenda they don't even realize they've got.

idle Eric

Reaction score
jammerhawk":qgv6b0h5 said:
Root against the team and the players? Whatever? Count me out, never in on that pure codswallop. However, don’t lay your sanctimonious hyperbole out as truth, it isn’t. The only ‘agenda’ we should have here is being fans.

But nobody has said that. That's not what the OP said.

idle Eric

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3309pjn9 said:
Seymour":3309pjn9 said:
Uncle Si":3309pjn9 said:
Sgt Largent":3309pjn9 said:
You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.

That’s the hypocrisy isn’t it?

Identity with a bunch of people we cannot empathize with about their jobs yet call them names and question their intelligence, heart, etc.

But yes, calling that out is self aggrandizement. (Nice “gotcha” try though. Sure got Seymour grinning)

More clear evidence you just don't get it. I am bummed about this whole thing like a loss in the family.
I got zero joy from that other than it's nice knowing that someone does indeed understand the exact feeling.
That is also why I will not engage in your debate on this, I have no energy for that.

What a bunch of condescending twaddle.

Oh the Irony !

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":2b646d80 said:
Uncle Si":2b646d80 said:
Seymour":2b646d80 said:
Uncle Si":2b646d80 said:
Sportsmanship.

In the NFL.

My goodness.

Fan: “hey guys. Go run and crash your body and brain at ridiculously violent speeds without any regard for safety over and over for my enjoyment. Do whatever you can to be the giant gladiator of competition I can’t be while I sit here watching on TV. I mean literally anything. You do get paid millions you know.

But don’t you get pissed off if you lose because that upsets my precious sense of righteous entitlement

Entirely missed the point.

Nope. Not at all.

I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from

You kind of did miss the point Si. No matter how silly it may be, the reason sports work is because a large percentage of fans attach a bit of their own identity to their favorite team/s. It's the reason the Browns still have fans. It's why fans say "we lost" ,"we won", "we played like crap", and even "we embarrassed ourselves".

These players hit their contract year and go play for the next highest bidder. Their identity is "Football Player" not "Seahawk". Kreig's is gone, Largent is gone, but we are still here. We make excuses for our "family" when they mess up, and we deride and call them "not very good anyway" when they decide to date somebody else.

The fans are "Seahawks", the players for the most part are employees. That doesn't make a fan an uncaring (self aggrandizing) jerk if he feels a bit humiliated by how he was represented by the employees of the team he identifies with.

One might think that is some self important BS, but it is why the NFL is what it is. Without that level of FANaticism, the whole thing would implode. The whole reason this board is all about how we are "World Beaters" last week, and absolutely "Horrible Failures" this week, is due to the high level of identity attachment to our favorite squad.

Seymour's feelings are perfectly understandable, and your self aggrandizing opinion might be showing. You should tuck that back in.

Those fans are idiots if they actually wrap up any self worth in something they have absolutely no control over

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":12r22gor said:
Sgt Largent":12r22gor said:
Uncle Si":12r22gor said:
Seymour":12r22gor said:
Entirely missed the point.

Nope. Not at all.

I think you overestimate your own self aggrandazing opinion in what’s appropriate and not appropriate behavior on the football field. Your opinion lacks perspective.

You could have made your points about discipline and how you feel it’s important to the entertainment value and team success. I’d have agreed. You chose a condescending lecture on righteousness as it equates to your enjoyment completely ignoring the people who provide you that entertainment.

Following it up with “you missed the point” clearly indicates where your point derived from

Those fans are idiots if they actually wrap up any self worth in something they have absolutely no control over

LoL... So the whole of humanity then. The human condition is some varied form of tribalism and need/desire to belong to a group, for better or worse.

But idiots though..... :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with the notion of a deep connection to the players. Call them family if you want. That’s normalized in athletics.

The point I was making was the conditions of the modern NFL almost require violence. And with that it should be understandable that players emotions will spill over. As fans we yearn for the passion. To get so upset as to question “a family member” about intelligence, control, heart, etc misses the mark.

Coaching has been poor. No doubt. Its frustrating and I agreed with that part of the OP. Maybe that's the difference. Our players, as misguided as it may look sometimes, are desperately trying to win games though. They are being let down by the coaches. Calling them names, which the OP has done in several threads of late, simply contrasts the sentiment he is portraying.

That’s my issue. It’s hypocritical tripe. If these guys were really “family” you wouldn’t root for them to risk life altering injury for your satisfaction only to question the way they do it if it doesn’t suit your moral compass.

It's nothing new. The faux "embarrassment" over player actions is the pinnacle.

Bleed for us, but don't cry.