Blair Walsh still here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2ej7x5wt said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/941051265412251648[/tweet]

This is what Pete was saying during his Wednesday press conference. Think about it....what else can he say if there are no other choices?

Seymour

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":321ilfwo said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/941051265412251648[/tweet]

Translation: We spent all our $$ and have to live with him. Please pray for good fortune everyone.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He is something like 6 of his last 12. That is not ‘good’. Cmon man.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2z79beti said:
scutterhawk":2z79beti said:
Any of y'all still sick of having to settle for field goals instead of Touchdowns to win games?
IF Walsh doesn't mess up in TWO very winnable games this year, we'd have 2 MORE in the Win Colum, and better seeding.
But on the bright side, look at how much money we saved :34853_doh:

Ohh, and one other thing. Remember this post in July when I asked if Walsh had any competition?
Who is sniveling now?

scutterhawk":2z79beti said:
In the history of the Seahawks, Pete DELIVERS A Super Bowl trophy, and a challenge for the second in the following Year, yet some folks just have to SNIVEL......Pretty pathetic eh?
It's pretty obvious Seymour, that You Still Are.
As for me?, hell no, In FACT, after my post upstream, I went out and bought some more Seahawks gear, I did so because I'm no sniveling fair weather Seahawks Fan.
Here's the POINT; In JULY, Walsh was doing pretty decent, + there was NO REAL COMPETITION.
Walsh washes out while under stress situations, much like a couple others on the team...Graham between the twenties comes to mind, difference is, instead of "Getting What We Paid For", we are NOT getting our money's worth.
That's how the egg sometimes rolls.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2i6q46wj said:
Seymour":2i6q46wj said:
Any of y'all still sick of having to settle for field goals instead of Touchdowns to win games?
IF Walsh doesn't mess up in TWO very winnable games this year, we'd have 2 MORE in the Win Colum, and better seeding.
But on the bright side, look at how much money we saved :34853_doh:

Ohh, and one other thing. Remember this post in July when I asked if Walsh had any competition?
Who is sniveling now?

In the history of the Seahawks, Pete DELIVERS A Super Bowl trophy, and a challenge for the second in the following Year, yet some folks just have to SNIVEL......Pretty pathetic eh?
It's pretty obvious Seymour, that You Still Are.
As for me?, hell no, In FACT, after my post upstream, I went out and bought some more Seahawks gear, I did so because I'm no sniveling fair weather Seahawks Fan.
Here's the POINT; In JULY, Walsh was doing pretty decent, + there was NO REAL COMPETITION.
Walsh washes out while under stress situations, much like a couple others on the team...Graham between the twenties comes to mind, difference is, instead of "Getting What We Paid For", we are NOT getting our money's worth.
That's how the egg sometimes rolls.

Yes, I sure am. Since in your world asking if we are bringing in competition is sniveling when we have 10 draft picks and boku free agents showing up.

This "no real competition" you are so certain about, you know this as fact just how other than that is an easy out for you?

The yellow line I happened to bring up in the July thread as my reason of concern. After you dissed the whole idea as "pathetic" I now see you are onboard with this analogy. Way to stick to your guns. :2thumbs:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Yep, this is a case of no better option. But... Great leg? Come on, Pete. He came up short on a 52 yarder with the game on the line. Bad look for an NFL kicker.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If we went back in time with Pete to 1940 Germany, I feel like he'd say "Hitler's a good political leader. Yeah, he whiffed on a couple things, but he's our guy."

What I don't understand is why they don't bring in some young kicker who didn't get drafted JUST to compete with Blair Walsh. Even if it's fake and you have no intent of letting the rookie win the job, it'd light a fire under Walsh's ass. Frustrating...

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Pete sticks up for Blair because he truly understands and has instilled in his players the meaning of teamwork. Simple. And I believe he'll come through this adversity and come out the other side a mentally tougher, better kicker.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I hate to say it guys but does anyone else feel like it would be poetic justice for our season to end on a Blair Walsh field goal? I seriously swear that's where he's headed.

You look at our last 3 losses and his missed kicks have played a huge role in them.

Sure 50 yarders are a crap-shoot but Walsh is only 7-10 from 30-39 yards. That's alarmingly inaccurate

Palmegranite

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":23uq5ckf said:
I hate to say it guys but does anyone else feel like it would be poetic justice for our season to end on a Blair Walsh field goal? I seriously swear that's where he's headed.

You look at our last 3 losses and his missed kicks have played a huge role in them.

Sure 50 yarders are a crap-shoot but Walsh is only 7-10 from 30-39 yards. That's alarmingly inaccurate

That's the spirit!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Walsh has a strong leg? I’m not so sure he does. Guys with strong legs don’t fall short attempting 52 yard field goals. Plus his kickoffs fall short or barely make the endzone most of the time. Zuerlein the Rams kicker has a strong leg. Walsh not so much.

This is what a kicker with strong leg looks like -
[youtube]RvYR37yYyVk[/youtube]

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
nepahawk":1y6rvjgy said:
hawknation2017":1y6rvjgy said:
It would be nice if they could bring in someone to compete. The salary cap situation is really bad due to all these injuries and late signings. Being an NFL kicker is hard. The guys who are not signed are, by and large, not signed for a reason. Still, it would be nice to have the competition against someone with better accuracy in wet conditions.

Walsh is not the worst kicker in the NFL, but he's in the bottom half of starting NFL kickers:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

Thanks for the link. If you adjust the ratings for pct made, he ranks 32 out of 39.
That's pretty close to the bottom.
There has to be a way to manage the cap, for a kicker. Restructure somebody.

It's hard to say what the right stats are, given different kick lengths, different stadiums, different number of attempts, etc. Trying to be fair:
a.) On XP the percentage ranks 12th for players with at least 10 attempts (16th for all kickers)
b.) The FG percentage is bad, it looks slightly better if removing players with less than 10 attempts (not really fair to compare to someone who managed 2 FGs), but that only brings him to 29th.
c.) For what it's worth, 3 of 7 misses occurred in one game, which depending on your perspective could mean he just had an off game (happens to everyone) but has otherwise been pretty decent, or it could mean he's prone to choking or can't play in bad weather
d.) It's also odd he only has one attempt over 50 and was short: is it just circumstances or does the team not trust him to make those? (31 other kickers have at least two 50+ attempts).

All of this suggests to me that Walsh is now a below average kicker, but not the worst in the league. The problem is if you cut him, who do you replace him with? Looking back, we should have kept Haushka. Looking forward, we need to upgrade this off-season. But for this season, it is what it is,

Danny Darko

Reaction score
In the last two years from 50+ yards:
Walsh 1-3
Hauschka is 8-9

Walsh was 10-10 on 50+ his rookie season when he went to the pro bowl. It sounds like he had something happen mechanically to his body in addition to being a weak minded spaz.

The real question is why a guy like that is on the team unless they have abandoned the season or the remaining signable talent is really that terrible.

I'd take a shot at Dan Carpenter right now as I just don't think Blair should get to stay

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":196w2g26 said:
Walsh has a strong leg? I’m not so sure he does. Guys with strong legs don’t fall short attempting 52 yard field goals. Plus his kickoffs fall short or barely make the endzone most of the time. Zuerlein the Rams kicker has a strong leg. Walsh not so much.

This is what a kicker with strong leg looks like -
[youtube]RvYR37yYyVk[/youtube]
had would be the right term. While his 56 long isn't crazy, he was clutch over 50: was 10/10 over 50 as a rookie (10 being an NFL record which Justin Tucker tied last year).

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/941213041072381952[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/941215088572186624[/tweet]

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":34fwa3vb said:
boku free agents showing up.

This "no real competition" you are so certain about, you know this as fact just how other than that is an easy out for you?

The yellow line I happened to bring up in the July thread as my reason of concern. After you dissed the whole idea as "pathetic" I now see you are onboard with this analogy. Way to stick to your guns. :2thumbs:

IF there was "Competition", Walsh OBVIOUSLY came out on top.
IF there was NO "Competition", then Pete OBVIOUSLY felt that Walsh was good enough to do the job.
Even if I don't agree with how shit shakes out, Pete has proven to me, that he is head & shoulders BETTER at making those decisions.
Pete has logged in THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of hours honing his craft, so, folks around here that think they know better than Pete Carroll >>>>>>DON'T.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It's hard to find good kickers. I wish they wouldn't try to create cap savings at positions that are already lowly paid, i.e. kicker, long snapper, fullback, etc.

That money has to come from somewhere, but they probably could have saved more money by signing lesser players at the more expensive positions. For example, Joeckel signed for $8 million. But Joeckel has been about the same as Alex Boone, who signed in free agency for less than a million dollars. Both players have dealt with injuries and had up and down play at guard. The savings for going with Boone instead of Joeckel would have been $7.1 million, enough for a great kicker, a great long snapper, a great fullback, and more.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3mpggtmv said:
Seymour":3mpggtmv said:
boku free agents showing up.

IF there was "Competition", Walsh OBVIOUSLY came out on top.
IF there was NO "Competition", then Pete OBVIOUSLY felt that Walsh was good enough to do the job.
Even if I don't agree with how shit shakes out, Pete has proven to me, that he is head & shoulders BETTER at making those decisions.
Pete has logged in THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of hours honing his craft, so, folks around here that think they know better than Pete Carroll >>>>>>DON'T.

I appreciate the detailed explanation. Now I know better, and with that undisputable evidence I now know that Pete can make no mistakes....ever. :179422:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":d2mb6hxc said:
Yep, this is a case of no better option. But... Great leg? Come on, Pete. He came up short on a 52 yarder with the game on the line. Bad look for an NFL kicker.
There's a difference...Walsh came up short because he sacrificed Power, and focused on accuracy.
Walsh should have been spending a lot more time practicing the mental aspect of his job.
Bummer for Walsh is, I think it's too little too late for him to put it all together at this point in his career ANYWHERE in the League.

JimmyG

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":151w2w1u said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/941213041072381952[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/941215088572186624[/tweet]
Awesome stats. For some reason I think Greg Zuerlein was like 40.

P.S. Walsh sucks. Just thought the trivia was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.