End of an Era

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Scorpion05":e0bq3iz3 said:
We got our butts handed to us, we're decimated with injuries, we're aging. It is what it is. Should we likely miss the playoffs, we'll reload for next year. The Steelers and other great teams have had similar lapses.
Well said. In the NFL it's possible to retool without completely tanking. If we could stay relatively healthy I still think this is at least a wild-card team for a few more seasons, and with some smart moves and drafting could be contenders again.

After such a strong run, this was bound to happen. The season's not over yet, and there have been times in previous seasons when things looked bleak, but definitely feels like the season is probably over.

Decimation

Reaction score
olyfan63":3v4qqc26 said:
jeremiah":3v4qqc26 said:
The Seahawks have not played together as a team since the choke against the Pats and everyone got a big payday.
Jimmy Graham can play....for anyone else and we are stuck with Wilson.

Graham has been a subpar TE with a ton of drops and limited impact in his blocking. Yes, he catches some TD jump balls. Is that skill set worth $10M per year? Maybe, maybe not. IMO, signing some decent O-Line players with that $10M would give bigger bang for the buck than Jimmy G.

The Rams ended the Jeff Fisher era, and made huge progress this year. Now it's up to the Seahawks to make the bold moves they need to do to become a better team next year. This year is pretty much toast for the Hawks even if we somehow make the postseason.

I love Jimmy Graham, but I’m not really impressed with his performance recently. It just feels like he doesn’t care AT ALL at times.

This team needs lots of changes and hopefully that happens. Paul Allen needs to step up and help figure this s**t out.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Decimation":1j8quhdo said:
olyfan63":1j8quhdo said:
jeremiah":1j8quhdo said:
The Seahawks have not played together as a team since the choke against the Pats and everyone got a big payday.

Graham has been a subpar TE with a ton of drops and limited impact in his blocking. Yes, he catches some TD jump balls. Is that skill set worth $10M per year? Maybe, maybe not. IMO, signing some decent O-Line players with that $10M would give bigger bang for the buck than Jimmy G.

The Rams ended the Jeff Fisher era, and made huge progress this year. Now it's up to the Seahawks to make the bold moves they need to do to become a better team next year. This year is pretty much toast for the Hawks even if we somehow make the postseason.

I love Jimmy Graham but I’m not sure impressed with his performance recently it just feels like he doesn’t care AT ALL at times.

This team needs lots of changes and hopefully that happens. Paul Allen needs to step up and help figure this s**t out.

Agreed. He just seems sooo apathetic outside of the red zone. He wants to get paid top dollar for part time work. He doesn’t care about winning, doesn’t care about being a tight end, doesn’t care about making the routine plays. Blocking, don’t make me laugh. He just wants to keep getting paid, and that’s touchdowns.

strohmin

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":36k2voal said:
Decimation":36k2voal said:
olyfan63":36k2voal said:
jeremiah":36k2voal said:

I love Jimmy Graham but I’m not sure impressed with his performance recently it just feels like he doesn’t care AT ALL at times.

Agreed. He just seems sooo apathetic outside of the red zone. He wants to get paid top dollar for part time work. He doesn’t care about winning, doesn’t care about being a tight end, doesn’t care about making the routine plays. Blocking, don’t make me laugh. He just wants to keep getting paid, and that’s touchdowns.

What is Jimmy going to do when the rest of this team is equally pathetic?

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
After last couple of weeks I think the odds of Jimmy re-signing here is basically 0 (not that I ever thought it was likely)

Decimation

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":d2f0muxw said:
Decimation":d2f0muxw said:
olyfan63":d2f0muxw said:
jeremiah":d2f0muxw said:

Anyways, For 10 million a year, catching touchdowns and that’s all he does isn’t worth it. Jimmy Graham is a solid person, I met him recently, but that dude doesn’t do what is expected. We need a tight end who is consistent. We shouldn’t lose 42-7 to the Rams. That was ugly.

I’m sure he won’t get resigned. I like the dude, but he isn’t worth the money we have paid for him. 10 million a year for some touchdowns here and there isn’t worth it. I would rather get some O-line help honestly. He has 9 touchdowns on the year, yes, but he isn’t performing like a true tight end.

Sorry for ranting, I’m just upset with where this team is going. I just want to see some consistency.

Go hawks!

Decimation

Reaction score
I hope we make some changes though. Actually watching the press conference, I was sadly depressed with what was being said.

What the heck.. just disappointed with the Hawks man. Crap.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1jidud41 said:
If the Seahawks get rid of a player here or bring in another player there - it won't matter.

The problem is not Graham, Baldwin, Wilson or any of the other guys. It isn't Bennett, Kam, Sherman (or lack thereof), or Thomas.

The problem rests in the guys that the offense depends upon to put them in positions to score TDs. Those guys, the guys pulling the strings, are producing below par.

Moving this player out or bringing another in is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. It doesn't keep anyone from sinking, but it looks like you are doing something about the problem.

The problem isn't the players.

Totally nailed it

People on here think the Window is closed and we are finished. The team still has a load of talent on it with a top QB in the league. If the coaching just stays the same then the window will close though. Need a coaching change..and dare I say a total coaching change starting with Pete

Decimation

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1izfau3e said:
TwistedHusky":1izfau3e said:
If the Seahawks get rid of a player here or bring in another player there - it won't matter.

The problem is not Graham, Baldwin, Wilson or any of the other guys. It isn't Bennett, Kam, Sherman (or lack thereof), or Thomas.

The problem rests in the guys that the offense depends upon to put them in positions to score TDs. Those guys, the guys pulling the strings, are producing below par.

Moving this player out or bringing another in is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. It doesn't keep anyone from sinking, but it looks like you are doing something about the problem.

The problem isn't the players.

Totally nailed it

People on here think the window is closed and we are finished. The team still has a load of talent on it with a top QB in the league. If the coaching just stays the same then the window will close though. Need a coaching change..and dare I say a total coaching change starting with Pete

Do you blame the hawks though? Yes, we have tons of talent, but they aren’t performing at the level they should: Losing 42-7 the the Rams was an absolute disgrace.The hawks can do better than that.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in the idea of signature games, signature moments in sports. To me, yesterday's game was one of those. I can't believe that I'm actually saying this ... but I agree -- it does feel like an End of an Era.

I'm definitely an optimist ... but I'm also a realist as well. I believe what my eyes tell me ... and yesterday, you know what I saw? I saw the Rams do to us ... what we used to do to other teams. The Rams looked a lot more like the Seahawks than the Seahawks did. I swear, I felt like I needed to get my eyes checked ... because Todd Gurley sure looked a lot like Marshawn Lynch the way he was carving our defense up. Their defense -- the way they dominated us -- sure looked a lot like the way we used to annihilate other teams' offenses.

Pete Carroll can blow this loss off all he wants to. Luke Willson can say that the Hawks are going to go down to Dallas and "beat the hell" out of the Cowboys. That's fine and maybe they will. But to me (for all intents and purposes) the season is over. I have officially lost faith in this year's version of the Seahawks to do anything. It is SO clear that they are but a shell of their former selves right now. The looks on the faces of Earl, Russell, and the rest of the team on the sideline said it all ... because deep down inside, they know everything that I'm saying is true as well.

We are no longer the bully that we used to be. Opposing Teams no longer wet themselves over the prospect of playing at Century Link Field anymore. They just aren't afraid of the Hawks anymore.

Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor ... have played their last games as Seahawks. Richard Sherman -- maybe the same thing as well. Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson, and lots of other guys could very well be gone, as their contracts are going to be up. I see massive roster turnover in the offseason.

And in the end, maybe that's not a bad thing. It's clear that this Hawks team is in need of being re-invented. The Phoenix had to die too so that it could be reborn with renewed fury. Like the Phoenix, I can only hope that this Seahawks team can arise from the ashes next season anew, thirsting for vengeance as well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The era is over! Unless it isn't.

The coaching philosophy preaches competition as a base to all team success, that's a good thing. In that there needs to be accountability and therein is the reason why the era ended. Pete does not hold his coaching staff accountable.

In terms of lack of accountability:

#1 most unaccountable coach on the staff is Coach Cable.
He is the assistant Head Coach, The OLine Coach, The running Game coordinator. Let's assess his performance. Is he competing?

-The O as a whole is looking confused and disjointed. He's the man ultimately in charge, not Bevell.

-The OLine has been a mess most of the time he's been here, and he has been delegated responsibility for picking his players. How's he doing? I'd argue he's not competing there, for the most part with all the picks he's had he's not built anything worth much. There are a few rare exceptions, however considering the draft resources spent on the OLine since he's been here. The results are poor.

- As 'The Running Game Coordinator' he's been simply awful. The team has cycled out numerous very solid players at RB because somehow those players didn't fit his 'zone running scheme'. Latest great personnel move orchestrated by the 'great coordinator' the team kept Lacy this season but axed Collins and got zip from Lacy except a $3 million or net $2.5 million cap hit. Collins meanwhile is lighting it up in Baltimore but wasn't good enough for Seattle. Has anyone seen Lacy do anything worth watching at all? The only reason why this coach was remotely well regarded for a while was he had the gift of Lynch who was special notwithstanding a weak OLine and a poor running scheme, because Lynch was a generational specially tough hard running RB. After Lynch got hurt the wheels have come off, b/c. No amount of BS from Cable can justify the weakness of a running game that has been soft and worsening now for 3 seasons. He tried to lay off the blame on Sherman Smith who got fired this last offseason and had 12 + candidates in camp to seize the starters job. It bothers me they kept Lacy when there were numerous other potential candidates who have far outplayed Lacy elsewhhere. We'd have been better to have kept Smith and canned Cable for the results shown. There is no running game, thanks for nothing Coach. He's also failed to develop Christine Michael, tossed away a pro bowl hard runner in Spencer Ware, and has stolen any confidence that Thomas Rawls had left after being demoted by our guru coordinator. Who knows what other candidates have been spoiled by this coach? Anyone seen a running game this year? I thought it was supposed to be focus? All it is is simply a total bust, or epic fail. When the only bright spot Carson comes back I predict Cable will screw him up too if Cable is kept. This total failure is a perfect reason to rid the team of this albatross.

Addition by subtraction, make this coach accountable for his incompetence and let him go. Then get rid of Bevell too, and get a bright offensive mind who can actually unlike our present coordinator figure out how to use the talent here or brought in after fixing the OLine. As well it's time to start to question the results delivered with clearly superior talent by the DC. The Head Coach needs to be holding his staff accountable for delivery of a substandard product by their units.

Maybe then the era isn't over. It is however time for accountability Pete and if you can't do that then it's time for you to ride off into the sunset. Start with Cable!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Stating it's at an end doesn't make it gospel. Certainly there will be some major changes, and the dominance of the 2 Super Bowl years is gone. Moreso because of age, guys retiring etc. This team will still be playoff level next year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It’s not even the end of the season, let alone an era.

DY_Seahawk

Reaction score
As a fan of a not so glamourous Soccer team in the UK, the Seahawks appear to be going through a similar phase like my soccer team (Wolverhampton Wanderers) did a few years back where they ended up in the third tier of English football.

The reason being, too many overpaid, underperforming and ageing players and a back room team which needed/needs freshening up!

One thing we all need to do is let the dust settle on this frustrating season (this also applies to Sunday) and then re-evaluate in the off season. what the Seahawks need to do is evaluate everything from top to bottom and then make the big decisions so that any changes can be in place ready for the summer, granted it may mean another season of being 'average at best' but in this game anything is possible but maybe changes in the coaching staff and way of doing things may give some players that spark back.

I really think that since 'THAT' superbowl, some of the players have become frustrated with bad play calls and things have stagnated to a point which showed itself in all it's glory on Sunday. Granted the team have been hit by major injuries this year but this is football and these things happen.

The rams have shown what major changes can have this year, so it just shows anything is possible.

So let the dust settle on this season and what will be next year will be....but i'll still be staying up late, watching early morning games from the UK hoping for that weekly 'W'!

I am sure the team will be hurting and will want to put things right this week....here's hoping! :2thumbs:

TwilightError

Reaction score
It does look like the end of an era. But it sure was a great era! I’m glad I saw it.