Areas of focus with new coaches

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Each new coach has their own thread, and in those threads the discussion is mostly centering around their history in those roles.

In this thread, I would like to discuss where we have been weakest, and what the focus should be in each coaching role.

Schotty- in my opinion our weakest overall point with bevell was his inability to develop an individual game plan each weak to exploit the weaknesses of the opponent. It seemed as though he wasn't good at all in film study, and his game plans were focused more on what he wanted to do vs what he could do. If schotty is better at pregame scheming to come out of the gate and score earlier by taking advantage and changing the stategy weekly based on weakness, we could be MUCH better. How many games did we not score in the first quarter, and ended up losing within 1 score? That early TD could make a HUGE difference.

Norton-our scheme under Pete has been pretty consistent, and each DC we have had has pretty much stayed on script other than maybe a few more blitzes, more focus on edge rushing etc. What has been different is the level of discipline. Under Richard we saw a lot more infighting, missed assignments, sloppy tackling, leaving your assignment based on individual read etc. I think Norton needs to bring the positional discipline back as a main focus.

Solari-whether it be ZBS or man, or a combination, he needs to focus on the fundamentals of the lineman. Footwork, body position, communication etc. From the professional criticism I have seen of cable trained lineman, this is the weakness. Having your shoulders turned out of position leads to having to reach on your weak side leading to holding. Having your body position and center of gravity off in relation to your feet especially when moving laterally (ZBS) leads to being unstable resulting in being pushed back into the pocket. If Solari can focus on basic body fundamentals to be more stout, it allows the line to protect a larger area and help close the holes between them.

There are my areas of focus, think I'm nuts or just want to add, I would love to hear what you think.

toffee

Reaction score
I think we should dedicate this year as Pete Carroll appreciation year, he may not be coaching forever.

niveky

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2dqwgf0f said:
Each new coach has their own thread, and in those threads the discussion is mostly centering around their history in those roles.

In this thread, I would like to discuss where we have been weakest, and what the focus should be in each coaching role.

Schotty- in my opinion our weakest overall point with bevell was his inability to develop an individual game plan each weak to exploit the weaknesses of the opponent. It seemed as though he wasn't good at all in film study, and his game plans were focused more on what he wanted to do vs what he could do. If schotty is better at pregame scheming to come out of the gate and score earlier by taking advantage and changing the stategy weekly based on weakness, we could be MUCH better. How many games did we not score in the first quarter, and ended up losing within 1 score? That early TD could make a HUGE difference.

Norton-our scheme under Pete has been pretty consistent, and each DC we have had has pretty much stayed on script other than maybe a few more blitzes, more focus on edge rushing etc. What has been different is the level of discipline. Under Richard we saw a lot more infighting, missed assignments, sloppy tackling, leaving your assignment based on individual read etc. I think Norton needs to bring the positional discipline back as a main focus.

Solari-whether it be ZBS or man, or a combination, he needs to focus on the fundamentals of the lineman. Footwork, body position, communication etc. From the professional criticism I have seen of cable trained lineman, this is the weakness. Having your shoulders turned out of position leads to having to reach on your weak side leading to holding. Having your body position and center of gravity off in relation to your feet especially when moving laterally (ZBS) leads to being unstable resulting in being pushed back into the pocket. If Solari can focus on basic body fundamentals to be more stout, it allows the line to protect a larger area and help close the holes between them.

There are my areas of focus, think I'm nuts or just want to add, I would love to hear what you think.

in regards to how you felt about bevell and not gameplanning, if I am not mistaken isn't one of Carroll's philosophies that they are going to primarily work on what THEY do as opposed to devoting a lot of time to what the other side of the ball does. I mean that doesn't mean they don't gameplan, but if I am right in how I remember it they want to focus on being the strongest at what they feel they bring to the table rather than countering what the other team does as much.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I think the key factor on offense will be:

Schotty and Solari working together to create effective blocking schemes that support the plays. To me, it almost seemed like Bevell and Cable were not on the same page. Without 100% alignment at their level it will not gel. Of course, these plays need to be built around RWs strengths. There need to be some solid QB designed runs, play action, move the pocket and a BIG hard hitting fullback to backup a smashmouth front line and bust open some massive holes. Either use the hell out of Graham for dump offs, and 1st downs or let him go. Hire Walt Jones as an O-Line consultant.

Norton-Build YOUR defense, develop the best linebacking Corps the NFL has ever seen to compliment an already strong secondary. Use Dion Jordan as the beast that he is, and get Michael Bennett's toxic mentality out of the locker room.

Pete-Have fun, take risks, inspire your team and make a solid playoff run. There's nothing I love more than feeling the Clink pulse with playoff energy! Get after it!

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
From all reports I've seen Bennett is a team leader and well respected and liked by team members.

If we let Bennett go, it should be over his on field play or money, and right now statistically he is playing over his pay, but it will depend on what he wants in his next contract.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
We have to redevelop the ability to run the ball consistently at all costs. Everything else we do derives from it. When was the last time we really controlled a game, as we often did in 2013-2015? We can’t play how we want if we can’t run it, so until we get there everything else is borderline moot.