Brian Schottenheimer

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bf45zvh said:
austinslater25":2bf45zvh said:
Sgt. Largent":2bf45zvh said:
Rex Ryan was just on Brock and Salk this morning to talk about Schottenheimer, he was Rex's OC in NY..............and the one thing that stuck out about what Rex said about him was he's "loyal."

So that makes perfect sense, Pete went from one yes man to another, an OC that won't question or challenge Pete on how to run his offense.

I'll give Brian a chance, cause I need to see how the offense looks before taking a dump on it. But my first impression of this hire is meh, a retread coordinator that Pete hired because he's a yes man that'll run things how Pete wants things run............and not someone with any innovation.

You pretty much nailed my thoughts. I wasn't excited initially, I'm still not all that excited but I'm hopeful the offense will have a little more stability, consistency, run better and along with a well coached offensive line we should see some improvement, maybe even drastically. I'm willing to give it a chance and I can see an avenue where that does take place.

If I'm trying to analyze this glass half full............Schottenheimer is coming from Georgia in 2015 where he did install a NASTY run game for Kirby Smart.

So if paired with the right line coach, I could see him making a positive impact on getting our run game back on track. Which was I imagine a big reason Pete likes him.

Georgia had never had a running game before Brian Schottenheimer? He installed one for the head coach he never worked under? I love the attempt to find something positive though.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
getnasty":2kcagcid said:
Hustle_Wilson":2kcagcid said:
Schotty went full Bevell on the biggest stage the Jets had - the 2011 AFC title game against the Stealers. That game as a whole was very similar to recent Hawks games - awful first half buried in a big hole and a furious 2nd half rally that came up short. A key part of it - 1st and goal at the 2 that ended up with a 4th down stuff thanks to getting too cute passing with Sanchez instead of pounding the rock with Shonn Greene, who had converted a 4th down earlier in the same drive!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/jets-tipped-their-plays-on-steelers-goal-line-stand/

Meet the new OC...same as the old OC

Let's not forget 2013 Rams/Seahawks when he decided to put the game in Kellen Clemens hands from the 1 yard line, Instead of Zac Stacey who killed us all day. That might have been the ugliest game in history.

That was a 4th down play, after they had failed to run it in starting at 6th and goal, and they had Richardson on the field because he was the short yardage back. Couldn't get it done and no time outs. Poor clock management by a young QB was the biggest factor to the lambs not getting to the endzone.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Looking at this from the glass half full angle, if this hire is part of Pete's bigger picture of getting back to strong running game, solid D, and special teams 3 of the 4 teams in the final 4 this Sunday seem to follow that model. To compliment that we have a QB who is one of the better ones in the league to hit big plays in the passing game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And to be fair to the guy, he's never had a QB like Wilson. And a lot of his starting guys were injured. Not like he had much to work with. I look forward to him proving people wrong.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Twitter is a buzz about Defilip getting named the Arizona HC. That would make sense why he was not an option then.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1mxe02ac said:
Looking at this from the glass half full angle, if this hire is part of Pete's bigger picture of getting back to strong running game, solid D, and special teams 3 of the 4 teams in the final 4 this Sunday seem to follow that model. To compliment that we have a QB who is one of the better ones in the league to hit big plays in the passing game.

After watching the Playoffs so far this year......a running game is essential! No running game....no Playoffs! Let's hope that we can see 100-200 yards running per game this year.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Sometimes it’s more about how coaches and players mesh. You’ll take a fighter coming into the pros and is struggling in spite of obvious talent, then you see that same fighter change coaches and all of a sudden that magic connections happens and he’s unstoppable.

The same holds true in pro football. Pete Carroll is a classic example of that. Whoever ends up as our new OC and coach will be hired based on the Seahawks hierarchy’s belief that they will bring that “thing” whatever it is to the field and into our game.

I don’t know if Bevvell’s or Tom’s departures are a good thing or not. I do know that whatever connections they had with the players were not what they once were, when the players bought in and the results didn’t materialize for them. Once your players start to doubt your abilities and judgement it’s not easily reearned, and change becomes necessary, if for no other reason than to help the players recapture their confidence in their coaches and play callers.

Pete is an infectious personality that permeates a team to its core on both sides of the line and in the fans as well for that matter. When Pete came to the Emerald City, he breathed new life into the Seahawks and gave all of us the ability to believe that everything was possible, and delivered. I’m nearly 61 years old, with a family history of men dying early, 40s and 50s, I have been a Seahawks fan since there was a Seahawks team, but I was starting to think that I’d be a deadman before I ever saw the Seahawks Win a Super Bowl. He took us there twice and brought it home once. I still think Pete and the Seahawks have a couple more Super Bowls in them.

It’s going to require putting the right pieces in the right places right now, and I trust that Pete and the higher ups are going to try to pick the right people to fill these openings, and give their team the best possible chance they can to get that accomplished. In reading thru the forum there is no perfect choices, whoever they choose there will be those who praise their insights and those who will criticize those same choices. I guess only time will tell. The changes are only starting in Seattle.

Go Seahawks!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3csn0p96 said:
hawkfan68":3csn0p96 said:
It's too bad that Graham is UFA. I think he's the perfect TE for Brian Schottenheimer offense. I've been reading up on Schottenheimer and Air Coryell offense. It's a philosophy that thrives on vertical and seam routes. Guess what Graham's strength is/was before he was in Cabevell offense? Yup, He thrived in the seam and vertical routes. I think he could do very well if Schottenheimer's offense performs as planned.

Good thing is there are some TE's in this draft that can work well - Andrews (OU), Hayden Hurst (NC St), Mike Gesicki (PSU), Ian Thomas (IU), and Fumangalli (Wisc).

I wrote the following about Jimmy Graham a couple of weeks ago ...

The issue with Jimmy Graham coming back (in my mind) is twofold ...

#1 -- $10-15 Million (or whatever the actual contract number would happen to be) is just FAR too much for a 31 year old TE. There are a lot of other areas where that money can be allocated.

Much more importantly though it's about ...

#2 -- IDENTITY. So much of the questions we find ourselves asking about this team come down to questions of IDENTITY. Who are the Seattle Seahawks? What are they all about? At the heart of it, what are their core values? For the Hawks under Pete Carroll, the answer to that question has been all about ...

Hard Nosed In Your Face Defense
Toughness
Nastiness and "being the bully" -- punching other teams in the mouth until they cry uncle and submit.
Running the Football (Marshawn Lynch embodied what this team was all about). It's STILL what they value.

So, which part of that does Jimmy Graham truly support? I mean, he's a very talented pass catcher (that goes without saying). At 6'7" 265 lbs he's admittedly a match-up nightmare ... and Russell Wilson clearly came to rely upon him. There's a chemistry there.

BUT ... when you look at Jimmy Graham, does he really embody that "nastiness"? Is he a bully to opposing defenses? Does he shove them around? Is he a good, hard nosed, nasty run blocker?

The answer to all of that (of course) is No. When push comes to shove, he's a finesse player ... and this Seahawks team has never been about finesse. He's a square peg in a round hole whom we've tried to make fit ever since he's been here. IMO, that missing piece right there (Graham's lack of nastiness, poor run blocking, etc.) has been part of the problem. His lack of blocking ability and nastiness is part of what's ailed this team, in terms of the running game and also blocking for other receivers after the catch.

To me, I'd rather roll with Nick Vannett in there and see what he can do if you give him the reps that Jimmy Graham had. Vannett reminds me a lot of what this team used to have in Zach Miller. THAT'S more of the kind of TE that fits in this offense. And he's going to be a whole heck of a lot less expensive.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Graham is gone for all of the reasons noted above.
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145145&start=50

I stand firmly by those exact same comments. Nothing that's happened has changed that opinion. In fact, Pete bringing in Brian Schottenheimer has only cemented that opinion. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe Graham fits what the Seahawks intend to do with the offense moving forward.

You don't think ten touchdowns fit what the offense wants to do moving forward?

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":202yd4l7 said:
Hawkscanner":202yd4l7 said:
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145145&start=50

I stand firmly by those exact same comments. Nothing that's happened has changed that opinion. In fact, Pete bringing in Brian Schottenheimer has only cemented that opinion. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe Graham fits what the Seahawks intend to do with the offense moving forward.

You don't think ten touchdowns fit what the offense wants to do moving forward?

That is an exaggeration. 10 was his high in 3 years here. He has averaged 6 TD's per year here, pretty pedestrian for a $10M receiver. We could do far better with the $$. Smashmouth physical football and Jimmy Graham do not belong in the same sentence.
Fact: We were a better team without Jimmy Graham.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24nyiwu2 said:
And to be fair to the guy, he's never had a QB like Wilson. And a lot of his starting guys were injured. Not like he had much to work with. I look forward to him proving people wrong.

He also probably had no interest in running Pete Carroll's philosophy 100% of the time. He is probably looking for a place he can be creative and implement ideas.

Also, if he doesn't get a HC job this year, he is likely looking for a one-year stepping stone location to that. Seattle is a terrible place to do that this year. They have way too many issues on Offense, especially with the O-line, to fix in one year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3niz8gtp said:
Brian S. has yet demonstrate any brilliance as an OC.
I don't know about that; making Mark Sanchez look like a mediocre QB might qualify as brilliant. I'd love to hear your counterargument to that statement. ;)

Mark Sanchez's stats dropped off noticeably in his last year with the Jets, and he never got better. Schotty left in 2011, and Sanchez's last year with the Jets was 2012.

Just sayin'. Not any big proof of anything, but perhaps a little suggestive.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ue186eu said:
Tusc2000":1ue186eu said:
I don't know about that; making Mark Sanchez look like a mediocre QB might qualify as brilliant. I'd love to hear your counterargument to that statement. ;)

Mark Sanchez's stats dropped off noticeably in his last year with the Jets, and he never got better. Schotty left in 2011, and Sanchez's last year with the Jets was 2012.

I'm intrigued to see what he can do with some superb talent and an OL coach worth their salt.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1pham60z said:
RolandDeschain":1pham60z said:
Tusc2000":1pham60z said:

I'm intrigued to see what he can do with some superb talent and an OL coach worth their salt.

He had one of the best Oline coaches in the NFL from the past 20 years when he was with the Jets. So fingers crossed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I hope this works.

Not sure it looks good though.

So the read is that Pete wants to commit to a strong running game? A physical running game?

And it makes sense, with defenses getting lighter and faster to get to the QB quicker, a physical run game is a great strategy.

But, our best players on offense are in the passing game. Our worst players on offense are in the run game.

We MIGHT have something close to an above average back in Carson. IF he is healthy and can stay healthy.

For the most part, we seem to have a pretty middling stable of RBs (again, in one of the best drafts in YEARS for RB and Secondary, we drafted a DT in the first round. SMH. A worthless DT at that.) So we will focus on getting this stable of absolutely average, not even remotely impressive players the ball? Good luck with that winning strategy.

It strikes me as close to terminally stupid to literally focus your offensive strategy on leveraging your greatest weakness and limiting the contributions of your greatest strength.

Then again, Pete was kind of known for squandering talent at USC, seems unable to adapt & change, and this is what looks like another example of this.

Generally, great coaches adjust their strategies to take advantage of their strengths and exploit the opponent weaknesses. The Patriots are the Lords of this, we continually seem to be committed to a strategy regardless of personnel or opponent. Not really a great way to expect a solid outcome...

But I REALLY REALLY hope to be wrong.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ovwrowk said:
Tusc2000":3ovwrowk said:

Sanchez had 32 total TDs in 2011! 26 passing and 6 rushing. That's more than Matt Hasselbeck had in any of his seasons here.

Granted he threw 18 interceptions whereas never tossed more than 15 until Jim Mora came along, but if Scottenheimer can get 32 TDs out of Sanchez then surely he can - I don't know - double that with Russ??

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":9zxmx2k7 said:
......It strikes me as close to terminally stupid to literally focus your offensive strategy on leveraging your greatest weakness and limiting the contributions of your greatest strength.

Then again, Pete was kind of known for squandering talent at USC, seems unable to adapt & change, and this is what looks like another example of this.

Generally, great coaches adjust their strategies to take advantage of their strengths and exploit the opponent weaknesses. The Patriots are the Lords of this, we continually seem to be committed to a strategy regardless of personnel or opponent. Not really a great way to expect a solid outcome...

But I REALLY REALLY hope to be wrong.

That is by far the #1 reason it was so frustrating watch this team the last 2 years. I personally do not think canning Bevell will change this much, but hope I'm wrong there. If this continues, and we are forced to watch shitball 1/2 game each week again, I will be going straight after Pete and passing on the Shotty criticism myself.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HHawk121":ewpyz1nk said:
Schottenheimer appears to get the most out of undertalented players. Bevell wasted highly talented ones. I'll take Schotty all day, every day over Bevell.

Can you provide some evidence of this please? I don't see that AT ALL. The guy has coached 2 Pro Bowl skill players in 9 years, and that was in the same year. TWO. Brett Favre and Thomas Jones. Favre had 22 TDs and 22 INTs that season, not even Pro Bowl-worthy. The very next season after leaving Schottenheimer, Favre had 33 TDs and 7 INTs (with...uh... Darrell Bevell).

Schottenheimer had plenty of 1st round talent to work with: Thomas Jones (continued the same level of play he had in Chicago), Sanchez (never developed), Braylon Edwards (NY's #1 WR at the time, didn't have more than 53 catches), Santonio Holmes (every year under Schottenheimer was worse than his 4 years in PIT), Dustin Keller (Schottenheimer's greatest success, 4 good years), Steven Jackson (scored the fewest TDs of his Rams career with Schottenheimer), Kenny Britt (had a 1000 yard season the year after Schottenheimer left), and the end of careers for Tomlinson and Burress.

And his Offenses were in the Top 15 one time. I see a lot of talented players that he didn't get much out of.

So he wasted talented players (as you claim Bevell did), except for Jones and Keller. Exactly what undertalented players has he elevated?