Malik McDowell

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seymour":xapc8crv said:
Sheeeesh. I'd heard nothing of this. Maybe his brain was damaged.
That would be best case scenario IMO. That way It could be explained and rationalized we weren't completely stupid for drafting him. Sadly I doubt that. He is just a knucklehead screwed up kid used to having a silver spoon.
You just talked yourself into brain damage as a best case scenario? That's crazy.

Mojambo

Reaction score
There is absolutely no incentive to dump him at this point. He's not making impact money. They can afford to wait on him for quite a bit longer.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mojambo":2pjl5h4v said:
There is absolutely no incentive to dump him at this point. He's not making impact money. They can afford to wait on him for quite a bit longer.

Depends on what you call "impact money". He is making enough to pay the difference between Walsh and Hauschka which sure as heck would have impacted W's last season.

Also though, he does have a cap # but we could end up recovering that anyway as I understand the situation.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Perceptions are everything, whether they are true or not.

Based on the video they were all out of line and the cops seemed unsure of their own laws.

I will admit it wasn't as bad as the stories made it seem, but thus is news nowadays.

Even that being said, he still needs to hold himself accountable for the choices he makes.

Getting arrested for disorderly conduct isn't good regardless of the situation, gotta be smart and think things through.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3dd6gqtp said:
There is more to this situation than we know. McDowell comes off as a spoiled self entitled athlete and he's clearly PO'd about being arrested. The whole incident has never been clearly reported upon but lots of rocks are now being thrown. It seems to me it was pretty stupid incident.

Many here fail to appreciate he apologized for being involved in this stupid drunken incident, but that is ignored so we can pile on with the bust comments when we don't really know jack about his ability to play b/c he screwed up and took himself out of last season's play with a head injury due to even more youthful stupidity. For me I'll wait to see if he does play again. He is coming off like a young pampered athlete though.

I suspect it's possible he never plays again, but that is true about Avril and Chancellor. Somehow though I think he may play and happily surprise as may Cliff and Kam. We just don't know at present and this night club incident does little to boost any fan confidence in the young man as a player. Clark had red flags but the team got it right about him, Do we know McDowell demonstrably a bust?

It's just easier to throw rocks than to wait. Who says McDowell doesn't love football? Who didn't do dumb stuff when they were young? Of course it was bad pick if McDowell never plays but if that reality was clear he never will play agan he'd be gone already.

Sometimes the negativity around here is extraordinary.
This,i agree 100%,possibly more,but Seymours post is also valid,but Seymour,if we had Haushka,would we probably still have Cabevell,and Richard ?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
daveyoung52":1iri4p2w said:
This,i agree 100%,possibly more,but Seymours post is also valid,but Seymour,if we had Haushka,would we probably still have Cabevell,and Richard ?
And who's to say that Haushka would have kicked as well for us as he did in Buffalo.

Money wasn't the only factor we didn't re-sign Haushka.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
mistaowen":gej74h7j said:
My assumption is, ATV accident caused some serious brain damage, more than they'd like to let on. A full year later and Pete can't speculate means, IMO, he'll be lucky to play football again.

That would be my guess. His family has insisted on keeping his condition private and the team seems to be abiding by this.

Chapow

Reaction score
BigBill1945":ysh1h349 said:
mistaowen":ysh1h349 said:
My assumption is, ATV accident caused some serious brain damage, more than they'd like to let on. A full year later and Pete can't speculate means, IMO, he'll be lucky to play football again.

That would be my guess. His family has insisted on keeping his condition private and the team seems to be abiding by this.

I think "some serious brain damage" is awfully unlikely. I don't think people with serious and/or life threatening brain damage generally go out clubbing. Also, watch the video. Especially the part at the end where he's calmed down and is talking to the officer at the station. Sounds pretty normal to me. This brain damage theory is just a wild ass guess with nothing at all to back it up.

Mistaowen, it hasn't been even close to a full year since his accident. It happened last July, barely over 6 months ago.

chris98251

Reaction score
Having a Wife that suffered a traumatic brain injury and surgery alcohol is an absolute no no while recovering and can cause severe reactions and unpredictable behavior. He was either healed or was not following his doctors directions.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
All I really know is this.

Malik cost us a draft pick, his pay and cap space.

Malik has provided nothing at all to the team.

Today he is a complete bust. Tomorrow? Likely the same but who knows.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Osprey":39a51u1u said:
WmHBonney":39a51u1u said:
After watching the video......cut his damn ass.
He has ZERO respect for authority.
When you get arrested, it is NOT an open discussion. Keep your damn mouth shut and do what you are told. You can argue in court. That is what courts are for. I hope this clown NEVER dresses for Seattle.
While I believe a lack of cooperation with LEOs is the number one cause of lethal force incidents...I can't blame the young man. He's been brought up in a time and culture that glorifies defiance to authority.

In this scenario Malik was clearly in the wrong, and had no real excuse to behave the way he did.

Had he been wrongly arrested by the police, I wouldn't care how much he yells or defies them. As a citizen he has the right to question arrest or mistreatment by officers who can go on ego power trips. Nor would it have justified lethal force. That wasn't the case here. Malik was irresponsible and wrong

I for one have no problem keeping him. Some of you do realize we kept Frank Clark despite what he was accused of when drafted right? If I'm not mistaken, Sheldon Richardson also did something stupid in NYC. I see no reason not to keep him unless he does something extraodinary. For now he's cheap, his talent is seemingly high, and I believe in rehabilitation/Not giving up on the young (unless it's a reprehensible crime)

12HawkFan

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with Malik is that he SIGNED a contract with the Seattle Seahawks and cashed the multi million dollar check that came with it and then acted in a very unprofessional manner.

IMO he OWES the Seahawks a certain amount of basic responsibility in conducting his day to day life, call it using due care and caution once he signed the contract and cashed the check.

It appears he rode an ATV WITHOUT a helmet and was riding it in a way that resulted in a very bad accident that we now have to deal with as fans of the Seahawks and the Seahawks Corporation itself.

I will bet you anything that any big money contract the Seahawks ever sign with a player again will have a clause that I will call the "Malik McDowell" clause that clearly spells out what kind of things they can and can't do while under contract. If they don't like it, don't sign the contract and don't cash the check.

Factor in what he said about being better than other people because he was a high dollar athlete while under the effects of a truth serum known as Alcohol and he is even more undesirable as a member to the Seahawks organization.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

OP
OP
B

bighawk

Reaction score
I dont care how much he owes i just hope he will be able to play for us. Dion jordan situation was different. But Miami gave up but we are teaping the reward. I just hope we work with him to where he becomes the player we desire.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
The family doesn't want any info to get out.
The Seahawks won't say anything so they can file a lawsuit if things don't work out.

They less we know, the worse he is.

I'm actually shocked there aren't more Seahawks fans sniffing around where he lives and hangs out.

Mojambo

Reaction score
TheHawkster":3nxjn4cu said:
I'm actually shocked there aren't more Seahawks fans sniffing around where he lives and hangs out.

Seahawks fans, please continue NOT doing this, as it would be really awful behavior.

original poster

Reaction score
Mojambo":ty3t4bj9 said:
TheHawkster":ty3t4bj9 said:

Seahawks fans, please continue NOT doing this, as it would be really awful behavior.

Absolutely this. Truly unacceptable.

nwHawk

Reaction score
It's never been brought up but what if he had a drug problem (could even be Mary Jane) that he didn't acknowledge in college that he still hasn't kicked. Could explain a lot about focus and desire. I'm not sure how the drug tests work for a player in his situation, but I've long thought it - just never said it out loud. I HOPE not. But he is still a young kid, so...

Chapow

Reaction score
chris98251":1qrxprp1 said:
Having a Wife that suffered a traumatic brain injury and surgery alcohol is an absolute no no while recovering and can cause severe reactions and unpredictable behavior. He was either healed or was not following his doctors directions.

Or he never had "some serious brain damage" in the first place.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3wd6qbmk said:
Osprey":3wd6qbmk said:
WmHBonney":3wd6qbmk said:
After watching the video......cut his damn ass.
He has ZERO respect for authority.
When you get arrested, it is NOT an open discussion. Keep your damn mouth shut and do what you are told. You can argue in court. That is what courts are for. I hope this clown NEVER dresses for Seattle.
While I believe a lack of cooperation with LEOs is the number one cause of lethal force incidents...I can't blame the young man. He's been brought up in a time and culture that glorifies defiance to authority.

In this scenario Malik was clearly in the wrong, and had no real excuse to behave the way he did.

Had he been wrongly arrested by the police, I wouldn't care how much he yells or defies them. As a citizen he has the right to question arrest or mistreatment by officers who can go on ego power trips. Nor would it have justified lethal force. That wasn't the case here. Malik was irresponsible and wrong

I for one have no problem keeping him. Some of you do realize we kept Frank Clark despite what he was accused of when drafted right? If I'm not mistaken, Sheldon Richardson also did something stupid in NYC. I see no reason not to keep him unless he does something extraodinary. For now he's cheap, his talent is seemingly high, and I believe in rehabilitation/Not giving up on the young (unless it's a reprehensible crime)
The Seahawks had the info on the Frank Clark situation and made a justified informed decision.

Frank loves football.

The Seahawks did not know Malik was going to an idiot.

Although, the Seahawks should have seen that Malik does not love football.