Malik McDowell

mrblitz

Reaction score
Pete should take a kid like Malik under his wing and say, 'we're gonna go out and take a bit of LSD... this will get your mind right'... That might work. Mind you, just a little bit of LSD; the amount a psychiatrist might have given a patient, in say, 1960; just enough to shift Malik's frame of reference, without getting him 'high'.

Be that as it may, they need babysitters for a lot of these kids.

Like, 'hey sonny you don't mess ATVs, period. ...not while you're a Seahawk.' or... 'you don't talk to cops that way... i'm not going to ever let you even interface with cops. i'm gonna just steer you the other direction.'

Malik could be right in that, technically, he should be able to call a cop names. But, in real life it doesn't seem to work that way. A 'buddy' or 'babysitter' or 'life coach' is what these kids need.

original poster

Reaction score
mrblitz":3gx02q1z said:
Pete should take a kid like Malik under his wing and say, 'we're gonna go out and take a bit of LSD... this will get your mind right'... That might work. Mind you, just a little bit of LSD; the amount a psychiatrist might have given a patient, in say, 1960; just enough to shift Malik's frame of reference, without getting him 'high'.

Be that as it may, they need babysitters for a lot of these kids.

Like, 'hey sonny you don't mess ATVs, period. ...not while you're a Seahawk.' or... 'you don't talk to cops that way... i'm not going to ever let you even interface with cops. i'm gonna just steer you the other direction.'

Malik could be right in that, technically, he should be able to call a cop names. But, in real life it doesn't seem to work that way. A 'buddy' or 'babysitter' or 'life coach' is what these kids need.

Look what a buddy/babysitter/life coach did for Dion Jordan. If anyone hasn't read the article on it, google it. Truly amazing.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Tareq Azim. Absolutely turned around Dion's - amazing job. Tom Cable and his son played a role in that too.

D

DomeHawk

All I know is every time I see that name I get pissed-off. :x

olyfan63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1mn1hd6x said:
The Seahawks had the info on the Frank Clark situation and made a justified informed decision.
Frank loves football.

The Seahawks did not know Malik was going to (be) an idiot.
Although, the Seahawks should have seen that Malik does not love football.

The jury is still out on whether Malik loves football.
Whatever else, Malik loves the prestige, money, and power that generally go with being an NFL player. Not to mention the privilege of getting physically beaten up each week. Well, let's stick to the first part. That's enough motivation for many, many young men who do put their bodies on the line for this game. Isn't there some dude in the NFL who donates all his game checks? Can't recall his name...

In any case, whether Malik loves football or not, now Malik has something to PROVE, lots of doubters and naysayers he can (figuratively, at least in public) give the bird to by excelling in the NFL. Hey, it worked for a young Richard Sherman.

P.S. Happy to read another poster who sees the Frank Clark thing like I do, that the Seahawks cut through the B.S. based on much better data than the media was reporting, and made an informed choice.

olyfan63

Reaction score
lobohawk":wddo8f0i said:
Unsure if it’s similar, knowing nothing about his medical condition, but years ago a friend was in a motorcycle accident and overall came out ok. Unfortunately, he hit his head pretty hard and was concussed.

His symptoms were degraded short term memory loss and the personality of a teenager (he was in his thirties). It was like he had to relearn maturity or such. Took about a year for things to return to normal.

Just bring it up, cause brain injuries can cause odd issues. Including ones a regular joe wouldn’t think of.

Man, a poster who is so committed to addressing brain injuries and and illnesses that he takes the name "Lobo", in honor of the historical lobotomy procedure, just to make his point. Dedication!
Oops, this just in. My amigos inform me that Lobo is Espanol for "wolf". And some university in New Mexico uses that name. Apologies.

Anyway, I have a family member who was in a car accident when I was young , didn't know her well then, but my family says she was never the same after the head injury she sustained in that accident. She became a hoarder and had trouble keeping jobs after the accident. I also have a friend who was beaten by her ex with a baseball bat, in coma for months, and she tells me the head injuries changed her personality, that she became much more impulsive and uninhibited afterwards, in speech and action.

So the truth is McDowell could already be finished as an NFL player, due to the head injury, either prone to concussions, or short-term memory issues that make him unable to remember info from film study and unable to make adjustments and reads. He could also turn out to be the baddest, meanest sonofagun on the field every given Sunday. We won't know until camp.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
A lot of things can change stat and opinion wise if the guy comes out and throws down. Really really do not like the crap that went on with him this season but if it stops (which is totally plausible if he spends more time with his teammates) I can turn the other cheek. Follow the law, don't be obnoxious and produce on the field. That would be very much appreciated and noteworthy.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and cut bait. Don't make that mistake in this draft however because the future of the next few years depends on success.

xgeoff

Reaction score
THE TABS":2fhuorvl said:
I won’t criticize the pick because of the the result. I criticize it because Forrest Lamp, the best interior OL in the draft, was on the board. Lamp also suffered a season ending injury in TC, but it’s not the type of of thing you can predict. We needed Lamp; we did NOT need McDowell, no matter the upside.

:ditto:

And I'm not triggered, but I do think he comes across as a jackass in the video.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
My thinking is if he was going to be canned, it would have happened by now.

So he is still going to be on our team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if he can play. Short short leash. Really no leeway for the guy. If next season he doesn't produce, well, that sucks.

Guy comes out and balls out, I would think 99% of us would say oh shit get it. All is forgiven (less broken laws).

In the end I want to see him play before I judge him.

Side note: I absolutely hate the off the field bull crap that has gone on with him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seahawkville":230swaf9 said:
Bite the bullet and cut bait. Don't make that mistake in this draft however because the future of the next few years depends on success.

Not exactly sure what mistake you are talking about. The draft is not an exact science. Some guys with similar baggage end up doing well. Others flame out. Sometimes "can't miss, safest pick in the draft" guys end up as complete tools and are traded to Oakland for a 7th round pick.

This whole season of no McDowell could be nothing. A simple case of a misguided young man injuring himself at the wrong time and then working his way back to becoming a productive member of the team. Or an intellectually challenged individual who squandered the chance of a lifetime. Only time will provide the answer. Until then, I'm meh on the whole thing.

original poster

Reaction score
If he does play next season, it'll be a welcome addition given the lack of second round pick in 2018.

Hopefully he is healthy and can play, best of luck to him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not sure how it's the FO that is at fault when the players decides to be an idiot. It was a dumb decision by the player, he's an adult.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkville":2xj0lnht said:

You can't "cut bait" with a player on IR, unless it's an injury settlement.

So no reason to cut McDowell right now, especially if you think he might have a good chance to play again over the next year or two.

If over the next 6-12 months the prognosis is bad enough to where the doctors tell the FO that Malik can't and/or shouldn't ever play football again? Yes, they will do an injury settlement and release him.

But they're not there yet.

original poster

Reaction score
You have a negative cap effect by cutting him any earlier than 2020. To explain further, the cap goes down by cutting him. Trust me, he's safe.

There aren't many players that would make the cap go down via a cut, Malik is one of them.

Ifedi & Pocic are the other two.

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't understand the hate against Malik

It was known that he might not have the passion for football. This is why people were passing on him

Our FO decided that they are smarter than everybody else and kept trading down in the draft, helping SF out and ended up with Malik

Malik behaved EXACTLY as predicted with the only random thing being the outcome that was this severe

Why is that something to be mad at him about? What should we have expected?

The "loss" of a draft pick is 110% on the FO and their gamble

Seahawkville

Reaction score
Cut bait.

Mistakes are always best viewed in the rear view mirror.

Should have taken O-Line but evidently they couldn't go wrong on either side of the ball in the trenches.

They simply picked a knucklehead.

Move on.

original poster

Reaction score
Seahawkville":33czo92o said:
Cut bait.

Mistakes are always best viewed in the rear view mirror.

Should have taken O-Line but evidently they couldn't go wrong on either side of the ball in the trenches.

They simply picked a knucklehead.

Move on.

original poster":33czo92o said:
You have a negative cap effect by cutting him any earlier than 2020. To explain further, the cap goes down by cutting him. Trust me, he's safe.

There aren't many players that would make the cap go down via a cut, Malik is one of them.

Ifedi & Pocic are the other two.