What should have happened with this team

getnasty

Reaction score
Losing Unger hasn't hurt this team in any year other then 2015. Britt has been better then Unger the last 2 years.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm so tired about hearing the Superbowl pass had anything to do with Lynch or Wilson. That is just ridiculous. As if any highly competitive person on the verge of winning the biggest game of their lives is going to even think about that... Just ludicrous.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BigMeach":1p8jact8 said:
I'm so tired about hearing the Superbowl pass had anything to do with Lynch or Wilson. That is just ridiculous. As if any highly competitive person on the verge of winning the biggest game of their lives is going to even think about that... Just ludicrous.

Yeah I dont look very far into all that favoritism jazz either. It was just a horrid play call that had horrid results.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The best 2018 option for the Seahawks is to trade as many draft picks as necessary to get Unger back, obviously he is the missing piece to future super bowls, even if his injury history gets even worse. Got to go get him and maybe then they could also offer $20/million a year and convince Lynch to come out of retirement, after all, even in a wheel chair, he's the GOAT at RB (except when he doesn't feel like it 'cause his back hurts or he's hormonal or he's just pissed off.)
:sarcasm_off:

adeltaY

Reaction score
getnasty":1c3v9la1 said:
Losing Unger hasn't hurt this team in any year other then 2015. Britt has been better then Unger the last 2 years.

Definitely not this year. Britt was subpar this year and Unger was great. Not sure about last year, they were probably even.

I agree that Lynch shouldn't even have come back in 2015, he threw us off. Look at the pick six Kuechly got on us in the Panthers game. Wilson tries to check down to Lynch but they aren't even close to being on the same page and it goes the other way. They weren't in sync.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team was duped into believing the BS from Cable/Bevell. The engine of the O was broken (the OLine) and the coaches in charge of the O, as aforesaid, had no clue how to fix things. Cable gained more power over the running game after the release of Coach Sherman Smith and totally killed the remnants of the running game too.

Both should have been released after XLIX.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Completely agree with the OP. Any important winning this team has ever done its entire history was because of Lynch and the LOB.

As both of those things deteriorated, everything went downhill.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3j6yg478 said:
I think Lynch would have been a worthy bet.

And I think Lynch with adequate blocking gets us to the SB the year after the Minnesota miss. But that is besides the point.

I don't think that Lynch was faking but I do think we could have gotten one more useful year out of him. That year, the tremendously weak Panthers made it.

The Unger deal was the shift, from a power running team to a finesse passing team. And some of you were right, we did a halfass job on that transition but the personnel moves were CLEARLY in that direction. Most player moves past that point,, on the offensive side of the ball, weakened our run game,

A key point, already previously brought up was the decision to remove the FB (which was stupid stupid stupid).

To me, that is a pretty strong indication this team changed focus and did its best to showcase the QB. The offense of 2015 was about the best Wilson could play, and even so - with him playing about as well as he could....we made a wildcard game we almost lost.

If Lynch goes down, as suggested, with the framework for a run game we had - we still probably would have been OK. But the shift to a pass oriented offense, while somewhat successful in the regular season, murdered us in the playoffs. Apparently everyone is forgetting the interception and fumble that we had to come back from that was a large part of the reason the Panthers had such a big lead in the first place.

Say what you want, but that Unger trade led to a series of cascading failures in our run game, the defense and eventually the Seahawks as reasonable SuperBowl contenders. It turned us into a wildcard team because we went far away from what worked in order to try to win on the back of a QB that was not ready for it at all.

You remain convinced Lynch would not have mattered, I disagree, but that is immaterial. Losing Unger was a symptom of a change in strategy that was doomed to failure and it was rooted building our passing attack at the expense of our run game.

The premise of the argument is sound. I think its the insistence on Lynch in particular being the catalyst that I struggle with. Yes, the team opted to shift their mentality to rely more on RW as a passer. They never fully committed to that and the team has struggled.

However, if they were going to remain a power running team, i still do not believe Lynch was going to be the key runner. Had Rawls stayed healthy one could argue he would have been that back.

I think the team is priming to return to that style of offense... something similar to what we saw with Lynch/Graham sidelined and Rawls running

scutterhawk

Reaction score
original poster":k3jchpwo said:
This should be a good one.

I’m surprised Seattle still hasn’t found an identity, they’ve had long enough. Looks like the starting pieces are at least in place to get one, though.
The Pass sets up the Run game, just as the Run sets up the Passing game.
Wilson & Lynch were THE perfect complement to each other ...symbiosis
After the shootout with the Steelers in 2015 (no Lynch) Wilson & Baldwin went on a tear for the remainder of that season, PROVING that Wilson could still get it done without having a stellar run game....Playoffs.
That doesn't mean that Wilson can do it all by himself, or that he doesn't need a RB to HELP take the pressure off the Passing game.
The Seahawks had one of the worst RUN Games in the entire League, Shitty Pass Protection, Crap for Run Blocking, and our best Rusher was Russell Wilson, where the Seahawks win NINE games, and are just a few bad kicks away from winning ELEVEN or TWELVE, and making it into the playoffs tells ya everything you need to know.
The problem ISN'T Russell Wilson NOT being the "Identity" of the Seahawks Offense, because he ABSOLUTELY IS (MVP Candidate) it's that ANYONE would actually believe that he could do it all, without ANY help.
Cable & Bevell losing their jobs verifies this ^^^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2wwu8evh said:
I am suggesting that even while hurt, a hurt Lynch would have been a better bet to focus the team on than a healthy Wilson.

Especially with some of the other backs spelling Lynch at the time.

Lynch being hurt did not remove our chances to get to the SB in the other runs.

Why would we expect that to be different the very next year?

What DID diminish our chances was trading away a key cog in our blocking for him, in order to get a shiny new toy for the passing offense. A toy we never really bothered to use anyway, until years later.

At the time of the Unger trade, I pointed out this would drive out Lynch. It likely was not the ONLY reason, but it was very likely a contributing factor. And it was certainly an indicator that we were going to try to push our QB to move the chains instead of the RB being the workhorse on that task.

Lynch made this team a SB contender and the Unger trade was a sign to anymore looking that we wanted this team to ride the QB to the SB instead of relying on the run game.

It was a bad bet , this trade was the evidence that our efforts shifted, and it was very likely one of the changes that shut the door on our chances.
Lynch was in his prime for Christs sake, AND some of the Seahawks success in the Run Game was because Russell Wilson was ADDING 500 to 600 Yards of runs to the tally...That's right, Lynch actually benefitted from Wilson's ability to do the RO, which helped to keep drives alive.
Second half of 2015 also disproves that it was ALL LYNCH.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1eip1g4h said:
most importantly not having enough talent to cover the severe coaching deficiencies was the key.

This says it all perfectly ^^^^^^ :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3eqsado9 said:
Bobblehead":3eqsado9 said:
There was only one move they needed to make after the SB.. that was to fire Bevel. Hawks would have cut ties with their escaped goat and all probably would have been happy.

This 1000%. By keeping Bevell the locker room became divided.
<snip>
Regardless, I believe if Bevell was fired like he should have been after 49, the players would have stuck together and the results would have been better.

Agreed, but not because of the *outcome* of that play. IMO the reason Bevell needed to be fired was not "The Pick" in SB49, but the way he threw Ricardo Lockette under the bus after the game, instead of reflecting on and taking responsibility for the deficiencies in the call relative to the matchups.
Kearse, giving away 20 lbs, failed at moving Brandon Browner off the line, surprise, surprise! Making a #7 below-NFL-quality receiver Lockette the primary target, highly questionable. Instead of taking responsibility for the part HE owned, Bevell pointed the finger at Lockette. With no externally visible consequences. THAT was the moment, to me, when "Always Compete" and "I'm in" died for this team. At minimum, to keep his job, Bevell should have been required to hold a press conference taking responsibility for the call, acknowledging the issues with it, and apologizing to Lockette.

olyfan63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":34fs1ogf said:
BigMeach":34fs1ogf said:

Yeah I dont look very far into all that favoritism jazz either. It was just a horrid play call that had horrid results.

Agreed. Things were happening too fast for any of the grand theories to be much of a factor. Wilson also did not put the ball where it needed to be.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Against most defenders that play call wins but Browner has seen it in practice too many times not to recognize what’s comming and he’s too big for the match up regardless. On top of that we also gave him plenty of time to clue in his teammates. So while that same play wins most of the time Browner beats it at least 7 out of 10 even when executed flawlesly. It happened. The players that still can’t put it behind them need to be somewhere else. They should have been long gone. Pete made a serious error allowing that to fester.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1533hyq8 said:
Reading way too far into things.

And Lynch was hurt worse in 2015.

+1 ...not paying to have a decent oline and letting Max Unger walk were more impactful. Lynch got eaten alive his last year here and, as a result, got injured.