RB movements and adjustments under Schottenheimer and Solari

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
zchurch74":235sidif said:
I would like to see Blount here for two years. He is at the end of his career but he could give us two good seasons as we prep new running back’s. The guy is a beast and he is never hurt. I think his attitude fit in perfect with our team.

Even if we run a committee of running back’s he would fit in perfect.

There's a reason The Pats let him go.

RussB

Reaction score
austinslater25":23ozb6ao said:
Prosise is going to have a huge role IF he can stay healthy. He targets the running backs out of the backfield frequently. If not Prosise someone will benefit from his system.
Mcissick can catch and run routes just like procise and he actually stays healthy. Procise will be cut.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I may be a homer, but I'd love to see what they could do with Jaylen Samuels from NC State. Played TE, RB, Slot, FB at 5'11'' and 223lbs. Could see him putting on 10-15 lbs if necessary. If they get lucky, might see him in mid rounds cause he doesn't really fit a specific mold for every team and I'll take Walter's projection with a grain of salt.

Draft profile
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018FB.php

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/NCState_logo.gif

Jaylen Samuels, FB, N.C. State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 223.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

1/13/18: Samuels totaled 76 receptions for 597 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. On the ground, he averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 403 yards and 12 touchdowns. Samuels accepted an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl.

Samuels is a unique prospect for the next level. The senior is listed as a tight end, plays some H-back, takes carries out of the backfield, and also gets split out wide. In speaking with scouts, they like Samuels, and some think that his best fit would come as a third-down running back. They think he has really good hands, is a nice receiver, and could also run the rock in those situations. They think that Samuels could be tried as a fullback as well. Samuels is a good route-runner with subtle quickness and athleticism that makes him a mismatch weapon. Samuels could be a steal as a passing weapon on Day 2.

[youtube]E1HGHiaNsl4[/youtube]

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
original poster":2fytqwcq said:
As I said in another thread, I'd like a trade with Cleveland and draft the best RB available with 33 and the best interior lineman with 63.

The draft is pretty deep at RB and interior OL, thankfully.

There are some hard hitting Safeties too.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ovzmsml said:
Guice from LSU would fit in so nice here. Dude is a beast.

I worry about his ability to change direction.

Schotty coached at Georgia...bet we get one of them.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
LJ Scott is disappointing in that he's not entering the draft this year. Dude mades some uncanny very subtle millisecond type moves in very tight spaces in traffic. The comparisons to Bell are warranted in this case, I think. He won't light up the combine, but his RB processor works at lighting fast reaction time often enough.

Next year.

Starting to come around to the idea of Freeman maybe in the 4th round, if he's still there. Still don't like some of his tendancies, but he wouldn't be starting right away. Playing behind a bully like Carson could really show him what he's supposed to act like.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Changing my mind again. I'll take Rashaad Penny in the 3rd. It's also entirely possible that it might take a 2nd to get him. His combine will make his draft status go way, way up. Hopefully people stay in love with Guice and Chubb and what not. I wouldn't take either over Penny.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is just a highlight, but the vs vids are also impressive. Particularly against Stanford and ASU, who shut down UW. You have legit speed and acceleration in a 220 pound back. Attacks angles and changes them. Kind of a slippery tackles breaker vs the sort of grill punch that Carson does. Not quite as good of a pass blocker as Carson, but Penny is already splitting out wide as a WR quite often at SDSU. Somewhat polished for a college back. A Carson Penny 1-2 looks really good in my head right now.

[youtube]98HqRF3INqY[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Right now, I think the best overall football players at RB are:

1 Barkley
2a Penny
2b Whoa whoa whoa my Michel

Guice and Chubb are somewhere behind those top 3. Freeman is a better athlete than Guice and Chubb, but doesn't run with the physicality and vision you wish he would or at least not consistently. Sometimes he does and you ask why he isn't better...why isn't he a first rounder even.

Still have no idea where to put Kerryon Johnson.

There's the Alabama RBs and then you also have Gaskin, Love, and other smaller backs.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hadn't really looked at Ronald Jones II until now. Seems like there's a little bit of Jamaal Charles in there. Watch Andy Reid be all over that and then never give him or Hunt the ball in the playoffs.

That's always been Andy's crutch. He'll forget to run the ball in the playoffs for no apparent reason and lose. Same story every time and he never learns.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
vin.couve12":16ot49c1 said:
Changing my mind again. I'll take Rashaad Penny in the 3rd. It's also entirely possible that it might take a 2nd to get him. His combine will make his draft status go way, way up. Hopefully people stay in love with Guice and Chubb and what not. I wouldn't take either over Penny.

I agree. I believe that Penny is very underrated. He went to the school that had likes of Marshall Faulk. I think Penny will be a better back than Faulk was. I believe he is the best back in the draft. Plus he offers kick return ability. Imagine Penny and Lockett back there. I think he's going to be a late first rounder or 2nd round pick when all is said and done.

Plus if the Seahawks get him, when the OL opens a hole for him, we can call it "Penny Lane". Hopefully Penny lane leads to a lot of TDs.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Wow! Penny is impressive. Dude has some serious breakaway speed. How is he as a power runner though?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
WarHawks":z5zf1u1c said:
Wow! Penny is impressive. Dude has some serious breakaway speed. How is he as a power runner though?
Good leg drive and sort of slips off or falls off tacklers. He can try to do too much at time at the LOS looking for the long TD, but even then will break tackles. He doesn't just staight up truck people like Carson, but definitely has power and leg drive. He twists and contorts and keeps forward momentum.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Big Harvin.

I think I got it. Has sort of the same lean when he runs, stride is the same, legs whip really fast. Acceleration takes people by surprise and they lose the angle. Yeah....take Harvin and put about 25 extra pounds on him.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO- Drafting Rashaad Penny and a stout OG with their first few picks will completely fix the running game for years to come. Penny has significant "Burst" and the ability to get up to top speed quickly. I think the combine will show this.
:smilingalien:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I find the title of this vid sort of amusing. I remember people telling me how fast McCaffrey was and I said, "Yeah...probably runs a 4.5 at the combine." It's funny how people automatically think things that aren't true just because of some profile of smaller backs and all that. Love is also a 4.5 flat guy, I'm pretty sure. Not a tackle breaker at the next level, like McCaffrey. He'll be overdrafted like McCaffrey too.

As a RB you have to be exceptional at something or have an overall combination that's sufficient. LeSean McCoy is an example of a kid who was smallish, 4.6 40, not very strong, but you put on the tape and he just has impeccable timing and natural know how. You have guys who are burners. You have guys who can run people over, guys who are really quick, but you have to have something that is really elite or an overall combination. Just not seeing it with Love...just like McCaffrey. 4th round would be fair return on investment in sort of a "safe" bet where you have little chance of getting more than you bargained for. Anything beyond that 4th round and you have reached. Carolina reached. He's not a top end NFL RB.

[youtube]BiQ43Y_T6fw[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy, but if you took C-Mike and polished him up strictly as an overall football player, you might get something like Sony Michel (It wasn't subliminal). C-Mike tested out as the single highest SPARQ RB of all time, or since they started testing it or retrofitting numbers of all time and other backs and what not. C-Mike tested even higher than Ladanian Thomlinson, which is a crazy feat.

I don't know that Sony Michel will test out as well as C-Mike. No one actually has, but Michel will test really well and has some similar traits, if you polished it up as a more consistent overall FOOTBALL player.

Watched a lot of his vs vids now and I think he's now ahead of Penny and behind Barkley still. This is a VERY good overall football player. Does it all and I still don't think he's scratched the surface. Yeah, this has got to be the #2 back in the draft.

[youtube]VzFCNS-V3_Y[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I remember Sweetness was like the embodiment of the physical manifestation of will, drive and determination that just happened to be accompanied by a hell of a lot of physical and mental innate talent.

Then I also remembered Barry Sanders coming into the league and the very real thought then was, "Well how the hell do you even defend against that?"

Seen a lot of good backs since. I still think Ladanian Thomlinson is one of the more talented ones since among some of my other favorites including Beast Mode (Again, "how do you defend that?). They played in a more overall talented league and the margins grew smaller from that time period from saturation.

Saquon Barkley has a level of talent that many a previous RB just don't have. There's a real ascension above the playing field that's pretty clearly visible. The question with him, like any other RB, is if he can stay healthy. Emmitt Smith was never the best RB at any point in any of those many years, IMO, but his durability, toughness in willing to play with injury, and longevity (along with one of the all time great OLs for most of his career) inevitably puts him at the top of the list.

Also, Barkley might have some sort of rabies that he got from a puma that had a cocaine habit.

[youtube]E0VALn4r8mg[/youtube]