REPORT: Darrell Bevell Fired

bigskydoc

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3lpm4gaq said:
This is why I prefer the exchange of ideas here instead of following talking heads on TV that seem to always like to produce shows with a nice looking big boobed women in the mix along with loud mouth bloviators. Would however be interested in what Colin Cowherd has to say on the matter though.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we added a few big-boobed women here at .net too.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":1bkm6lsl said:
Late to this party.

Bevell did, at least, have to deal with the OL deficiencies. Unlike Cable, who is in the pit of misery for coaches, I put Bevell at average to below average. But low enough that I'm cautiously optimistic we can do better. This is based on:

- First-half scripting always sucked, reflecting directly on his pre-game scouting/analysis. Did he do any pre-game analysis or just chug beers during the week?

No argument that they never seemed to work. Wonder if they're a reflection of the scripting, the execution, or predictability.

- Whenever we got a new toy (Harvin, Graham), it immediately threw our offense off-track, followed by years of recovery. In Harvin's case he was a Dbag but for Graham if it takes 3 years to figure out you have him trot into the end zone, turn, and block-out while Russ fires to his midsection then you are truly awful. That should have been sussed out 3 days into JG's first camp.

Go watch Graham's 2016 highlights. Everyone's forgotten. He gave us some fun stuff, if not quite consistent.

- It did indeed seem like we kept pretending we had enough protection for long routes despite all evidence to the contrary. I swear every week before a Rams game he said "hey, the book on the Rams is they have a ferocious DL but their secondary is vulnerable deep. Go routes for all!!!!"

I hated this. Yes.

- When he did try to mitigate the rush, it often took the form of bubble screens to slow players instead of RB screens or shorter/intermediate passing in the middle. I'm still waiting for the pay off I was told he was setting up with those.

This is something I don't criticize. Most people expect payoffs of more than 4 yards because it's a passing play. Truth is, if it gains 4 yards, it's technically a success.

- He seemed obsessed with X and O mismatches, which is good, but he never seemed nearly as fluent in personnel mismatches. It's why Brock can diagram why a bubble screen should have worked until you see one of our tiny WRs was asked to block some beast of an SS.

That's a drafting issue, not Bevell. But it's a good shout. We do have a lot of shrimp receivers, and it affects our gameplanning.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ezfp4l7 said:
Go watch Graham's 2016 highlights. Everyone's forgotten. He gave us some fun stuff, if not quite consistent.

Yeah, my complaint about Bevell taking way too long to use Graham is centered on the red zone, since that was far and away the biggest reason we gave up so much to get him and paid him so much. 2015 we didn't use Graham enough but it was cut short due to injury. 2016 Graham killed it between the 20s but still wasn't the red zone workhorse. 2017 Graham finally becomes the red zone easy button. What really frosts me is when we see how we used Graham there in 2017 it's so simple and obvious. Plod into the end zone, turn, block out, 6 pts. We did that over and over and over this year and no one could stop it.

MontanaHawk05":2ezfp4l7 said:
This <bubble screens> is something I don't criticize. Most people expect payoffs of more than 4 yards because it's a passing play. Truth is, if it gains 4 yards, it's technically a success.

I agree, 4 yards is success. But why wouldn't you throw these to your more elusive receivers always? Bevell wasted so many bubble screens on Walters, Kearse, even Baldwin is very meh in terms of being elusive in the open-field (which is weird because Baldwin is elite at shedding coverage at the LOS). Baldwin's go-to open field move is that lunge/hop backward, then resume forward motion. It's good for like an extra yard sometimes.

Throw the bubble screens to Lockett, who has that ability to slip guys in a phone booth. This again goes to my complaint about personnel match-ups. Kearse was a decent blocker, he should be blocking. Baldwin could block. Lockett is tiny and elusive. But to my recollection, of all our WRs Lockett got the least bubble screens thrown to him and that's just idiotic.

With respect to Xs and Os vs Jimmies and Joes I never expected Bevell to turn Lockett into a plus blocker, Graham into a plus blocker, etc. But Bevell actually had players that fit certain things he was trying to do, he'd just hammer the square peg into the round hole for some reason.

This year for example we'd see designed passes in the flat to Graham. Graham has some okay speed once he's going but he has zero acceleration. That is such an awful use of Graham. Thankfully we nailed Grahams red zone role, even if we did regress in terms of using him between the 20s.

chris98251

Reaction score
Graham out of the slot or down the seam was his biggest asset as a Saint, we rarely did that.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
This literally has to be the first bev thread Sioux has been MIA from.. it's almost as glorious as bev and cable being shown the door.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":1frbif60 said:
Graham out of the slot or down the seam was his biggest asset as a Saint, we rarely did that.

I honestly think Graham might have been showing some age this season. Or he really didn't want to be here. He might go somewhere else and flourish.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
adeltaY":1b9fk7u3 said:
chris98251":1b9fk7u3 said:

I honestly think Graham might have been showing some age this season. Or he really didn't want to be here. He might go somewhere else and flourish.
He might decide to stay here if our new OC is Carmichael.....

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Russ can incorporate any pieces of Bevell's offense he really like once he sits down with Schotty.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30t1idbo said:
Hawkfish":30t1idbo said:
Still out of work, humm.......
...But half the people around here say Schotty is worse than Bevell; HOW COULD BEVELL NOT HAVE A JOB ALREADY?!

:lol:
Dumb luck???? :sarcasm_off:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/955605177276555264[/tweet]

Oh boy lol....I was just thinking about it yesterday but now more people are thinking it or maybe some speculation

At least it would show whether it was Cable or Bevell if he has success with the Vikings (or maybe Pete if he was keeping him on a short leash and not letting him call what he wanted). If I have to watch Bevell AGAIN after watching him allready with the Vikings and then Seahawks I might just cry lol

If he did get the job at least he has a decent OL and a young stud RB that was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt last year in Dalvin Cook with his pick of QB pretty much...

maybe they would draft this guy if Bevell was back with the VIkings

Maxresdefault

WmHBonney

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":gflc779r said:

Oh boy lol....I was just thinking about it yesterday but now more people are thinking it or maybe some speculation

At least it would show whether it was Cable or Bevell if he has success with the Vikings (or maybe Pete if he was keeping him on a short leash and not letting him call what he wanted). If I have to watch Bevell AGAIN after watching him allready with the Vikings and then Seahawks I might just cry lol

If he did get the job at least he has a decent OL and a young stud RB that was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt last year in Dalvin Cook with his pick of QB pretty much...

Maxresdefault

Jackson is not an NFL quarterback.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":13zf4er8 said:

That would be excellent. Bevell can hold back the Vikings like Sarkisian has with the Falcons. :p

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":ik7ad9zz said:
WilsonMVP":ik7ad9zz said:

Maxresdefault

Well Bevell isn’t an OC so it’s a perfect match. 8)

Lighten up Bevellites it’s only a joke....

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":22ozuwby said:
WmHBonney":22ozuwby said:
WilsonMVP":22ozuwby said:

Maxresdefault

Well Bevell isn’t an OC so it’s a perfect match. 8)

Lighten up Bevellites it’s only a joke....

I thought it was funny

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/955880432247148544[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/955989275899826176[/tweet]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Honestly, with Murray and that O-line, he'll probably do fine in Minnesota. And more power to him, I just thought he'd gone stale here.