Dave Canales to QB coach

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I remember Jim Zorn watching practices at the practice facility as much as five years ago. Someone in the organization does not want Jim Zorn part of the organization.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
What a disappointing hire compared to the possibility of bringing in Zorn. Perhaps Zorn's personality is a bit too strong and unique for Pete. Pete likes those qualities in his players, but not his coaches apparently.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1m1raucq said:
I remember Jim Zorn watching practices at the practice facility as much as five years ago. Someone in the organization does not want Jim Zorn part of the organization.

Or coaching somewhere in the NFL?! He hasn't been in the league for 4 years. It might be that its on him. Retired??

Chapow

Reaction score
Does Zorn even want to coach anymore? And even if the answer is yes, does he even want to be a position coach? We're talking about a guy that has been an NFL head coach and almost certainly has enough money to live quite comfortably for the rest of his life without ever having to work again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
1. We don't even know if he wanted to come coach here.
2. We don't even know if he was offered the job.
3. Just because fans wants him to be the QB coach because he's Jim Zorn, doesn't automatically mean he would be a great hire.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Another interesting fact from Wiki -

He played college football at Azusa Pacific University, then a NAIA program in Azusa, California. In his college career, Canales recorded 27 receptions for 293 yards and one touchdown. He graduated in 2002 from Azusa Pacific with a degree in business administration.

Can't go wrong with someone from the home of the Nigerian Nightmare...

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Jim Zorn would be a Pete Carroll distraction, Carroll's name is big, not as big as Holmgren's was, Zorn is by all accounts legendary here. There may also be a philosophical conflict as well.

Not mention heir apparent conversations since Carroll's retirement has already been thrown out there as well as many have said he has to come thru this next season or there could be changes made. Having Zorn who has HC experience on the staff and a name here may not be what he wants.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This pisses me off!

Pete Carroll once again drops the ball on the importance of a position! He does this repeatedly throughout his career.
"Let's compete! Let's be the best we can be!"

"Well, except for the kicker and the long snapper, they're not important, and the QB Coach, that's no big deal either."

And the one that burns me to this day.

"What about playing in the heat and humidity in San Diego?"

Pete: "They have to play in it too."

Yes, because people who live in that environment are no more prepared than people who live in the PNW where there's a lot of overcast skies and rain.

Here's an idea Pete, come up to the North Slope of Alaska with me in January, and let's go for a walk at -65F. "It's no big deal, ivotuk has to be outside in that weather too."

I'll never forget that game with people, who are dying in the heat, standing there, holding white boards over the Seahawks players for shade.

Canales is going to give Russell Wilson the expertise he needs as a Scrambling QB? He's going to Coach RW HARD with all of his years of experience playing QB in the NFL?

Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

:34853_doh:

ivotuk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3p8ejxxi said:
1. We don't even know if he wanted to come coach here.
2. We don't even know if he was offered the job.
3. Just because fans wants him to be the QB coach because he's Jim Zorn, doesn't automatically mean he would be a great hire.

He would LOVE to be Russell Wilson's QB coach, per Brock Huard. He has been HOPING that he would be offered the position because he would JUMP at the chance. Per Brock Huard.

He has had success with Matthew Hasselbeck and Brock Huard. Brock LOVED him as his QB coach.

Brock Huard: "Jim Zorn is intimidated by NO ONE. He would coach Russell Wilson hard and get the best out of him."

ivotuk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":mvqeknef said:
I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Nobody's asking him to be a QB. I want him as a QB coach.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Offensive Coordinator? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Experience in the NFL? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

I don't see how an NFL QB can look up to a WR Coach for advice.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fans complain all season about needing massive changes.
Now we have them, and people are angry because they didn't pick who THEY wanted.
My goodness, let's see how it plays out.

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":1bdlfs2d said:
FlyHawksFly":1bdlfs2d said:
I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Nobody's asking him to be a QB. I want him as a QB coach.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Offensive Coordinator? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Experience in the NFL? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

I don't see how an NFL QB can look up to a WR Coach for advice.

Pete wants to pull all the strings himself.

A14286160b00fed0991b55021c8dd268

Chapow

Reaction score
ivotuk":xscj5b0a said:
Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

Zorn played in the Kingdome.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":27pezu2j said:
ivotuk":27pezu2j said:

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

And practiced outdoors the other 357 days a year in Kirkland.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":1bdcge6v said:
Chapow":1bdcge6v said:
ivotuk":1bdcge6v said:

And practiced outdoors the other 357 days a year in Kirkland.

He was quite clearly not talking about practice unless he worded his post very, very poorly.

Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success