Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?

Trade Russ to the Browns for the 1st/4th picks and Browns 1st round pick next year

• Absolutely

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 189 74.1%
  • I'd think about it

Votes: 44 17.3%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3mk21zdh said:
chris98251":3mk21zdh said:
Hawkfish":3mk21zdh said:
You could get your pick of the QBs, probably get Barkley at 4, and maybe Derwin James at 18? Or go for a stud OL? Or trade down for more picks? Then 2 first round picks next year? With possible 2 extra 3rd round comp picks with your 3rd next year?

With Russell's contract gone and with Lane, Avril, Bennett cut, that's about 40m in additional cap space.

You gotta to give that some thought. You get younger, hungrier, and a lot of your stud core (QB, RB, S, maybe left OL and DL the next year) cheap for the next 4-5 years, and all that cap space back.

It could get you back to the SB in the next 2-3 years? Do you see this team back in the SB the way things are going in the next 2?

You talk like you can just walk up to the QB tree and pick your next FRANCHISE GUY, we were 40 years trying before, had decent guys play a few years in Zorn, Kreig, Hass, Moon. None were drafted by us by the way.

What makes you think that we will pick the next guy and be a success now, Browns have been trying for a long time, Colts got the next coming in Luck and how effective has that worked for them?
The Browns have had horrible GM's and coaches..
The game has changed with FA and this stupid cap system that is forcing things to
be looked at different.
It is out of balance when you have to overpay by a lot to keep a QB.
I hate it myself but I didn't start the stupid process..
As I have said you got way more parts to a team in football than the
other sports with lot less games.

I used the Browns, but throw in the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Chiefs, Bears, Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars, 49ers, Titans, Redskins. Skins have Cousins or did but is he a Franchise guy? Titans Mariota, but he has yet to prove he can stay healthy and lead them to glory, Dolphins Tannehill but again is he a Franchise guy, Jags have Bortels and everyone here says he isn't anything special, 49ers act like they got one but Garopollo is still a player in a long string of maybes. Dalton meh. Everyone else keeps trying to sign Vets or replace guys they thought were the next guy.

All those Front offices are bad? Lets see we had Charlie Whitehurst, Tavaris Jackson, a string of former players we hoped had something we could use. We got our guy in the 3rd round because everyone else had doubts, we did as well or he would have went higher, we after all just signed Matt Flynn we were so sure of ourselves.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Hawkfish":1nyksi3e said:
You could get your pick of the QBs, probably get Barkley at 4, and maybe Derwin James at 18? Or go for a stud OL? Or trade down for more picks? Then 2 first round picks next year? With possible 2 extra 3rd round comp picks with your 3rd next year?

With Russell's contract gone and with Lane, Avril, Bennett cut, that's about 40m in additional cap space.

You gotta to give that some thought. You get younger, hungrier, and a lot of your stud core (QB, RB, S, maybe left OL and DL the next year) cheap for the next 4-5 years, and all that cap space back.

It could get you back to the SB in the next 2-3 years? Do you see this team back in the SB the way things are going in the next 2?

Let me say that I voted absolutely NO on the poll.

That being said, the only team that perennially goes to the SB in which a QB carries the team on his back is on the other side of the coast.

You have to think about that trade. Football is a team sport, need some stud players to get there and win. That's what I saw in the NFC playoffs.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Maybe not everyone here has followed the team long enough to remember the painful 8-8 decade and league's longest playoff drought as we wasted resources in a futile search for a QB.

No way am I wanting to go through that again.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hawkfish":p3qh48kr said:
Hawkfish":p3qh48kr said:

Let me say that I voted absolutely NO on the poll.

That being said, the only team that perennially goes to the SB in which a QB carries the team on his back is on the other side of the coast.

You have to think about that trade. Football is a team sport, need some stud players to get there and win. That's what I saw in the NFC playoffs.

Yeah but Rodgers was out this season and the Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time in five years. Ryan, Brees, and Newton were still there. Football games are fluky, see the minneapolis miracle for an example.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Russell is starting to enter his prime and you hypothetically restart the process? Good QB's get paid well and great FO's learn how to work the salary cap around it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2a6jetg4 said:
Darnold/Rosen/Allen > Wilson

Yikes.

Height is the only thing those three are > than Russell.

Go through any stat you want, tangible and intangible, and Russell's superior. Arm strength, accuracy, footwork, speed, quickness, football IQ, experience, preparation habits.............you name it.

You draft a rookie QB, and not only do you not have Russell, but you just signed yourself up for at least 3-4 seasons of below .500 football, and longer if the new QB doesn't work out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hd1j11p said:
massari":1hd1j11p said:

Yikes.

Go through any stat you want, tangible and intangible, and Russell's superior. Arm strength, accuracy, footwork, speed, quickness, football IQ, experience, preparation habits.............you name it.

You draft a rookie QB, and not only do you not have Russell, but you just signed yourself up for at least 3-4 seasons of below .500 football, and longer if the new QB doesn't work out.
So much this!

original poster

Reaction score
I voted "I'd think about it" because, ultimately, you have to consider all options.

However, having thought about it, I think I'd genuinely be sick if the team traded Russ. He's a winner through and through.

DJrmb

Reaction score
original poster":3f5h5xqg said:
I voted "I'd think about it" because, ultimately, you have to consider all options.

However, having thought about it, I think I'd genuinely be sick if the team traded Russ. He's a winner through and through.
This is exactly how I felt as well. You have to always listen because what if some team came in offering 5 first round picks? However, more than likely I am not trading RW.

hawkman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n54zyt9h said:
massari":n54zyt9h said:

Yikes.

By reading this Wilson is almost flawless. :roll: An honest evaluation would say he does have good arm strength. Average accuracy. Very poor footwork. Good speed. Great quickness. Average at best football iq.

If he is going to want top tier money trading him now would be smart as we aren’t going to be in a position to make a SB run while he is in his current contract anyways. Would be a big mistake to pay a second tier an first tier money.

randomation

Reaction score
hawkman":w16nayak said:
Sgt. Largent":w16nayak said:
massari":w16nayak said:

Yikes.

By reading this Wilson is almost flawless. :roll: An honest evaluation would say he does have good arm strength. Average accuracy. Very poor footwork. Good speed. Great quickness. Average at best football iq.

If he is going to want top tier money trading him now would be smart as we aren’t going to be in a position to make a SB run while he is in his current contract anyways. Would be a big mistake to pay a second tier an first tier money.

I thought trolling was banned here? He set an NCAA efficiency record and is still second all time in qb rating. Those aren't the stats of someone with "average" accuracy. Also lol at trying to dis his football iq.

edit: There are a lot of people here who should watch this.

[youtube]9G4ZgPY1MdI[/youtube]

Seymour

Reaction score
randomation":29v5875v said:
I thought trolling was banned here? He set an NCAA efficiency record and is still second all time in qb rating. Those aren't the stats of someone with "average" accuracy. Also lol at trying to dis his football iq.

edit: There are a lot of people here who should watch this.

They won't watch it, and even if they did they would see something completely different than what most others see anyway. Besides...."it's all a pack of lies".

lalalala-listening.jpg

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkman":266q5ax2 said:
Sgt. Largent":266q5ax2 said:
massari":266q5ax2 said:

Yikes.

Yeah Stan Gelbaugh and Kelly Stouffer type players are waiting in the wings to save us, what tier are they on?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkman":3g4rsjqv said:
Sgt. Largent":3g4rsjqv said:
massari":3g4rsjqv said:

Yikes.

See that's the difference between our posts. You're stating an incorrect opinion based on a bias against Russell, and I'm using actual stats.

Use any metric you want over the past 5-6 years, QBR, accuracy, TD to interception ratio, etc..........and then find any qualified opinion you want as far as the intangibles I mentioned (footwork, speed, quickness, clutch in 4th quarter, football IQ, etc, and it's off the charts.

In no way is Russell perfect, but when someone comes in here with some weaksauce troll like Darnold/Rosen/Allen > Wilson? You better back it up, because it's a GARBAGE opinion based on nothing other than "hey I think I'll troll these guys, then log off."