How will you react if SEA skips RBs in the draft...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
...and goes with Carson and Davis?

I personally see a 40% chance that they do that. Not that Carson's durability concerns are small. It's part of why he fell in the draft. But for the sake of "fun" while we wait for the draft, how would you respond if that happened?

Alternatively, how would you respond if they pick no RB in the draft, but do get a top OL in the first or high second round?

mistaowen

Reaction score
I would be happy with Ronald Jones II or either of the top interior linemen in R1. Carson was looking pretty good and actually had solid yards after contact, so assuming he comes back fully healthy I wouldn't be too upset. Post season breakdowns show interior blocking on running plays was abysmal and that has to improve.

I think his rehab will really sway how they attack the draft or if there's a guy they believe will be available late because fixing the running game is priority #1 for Pete this year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Drafting a RB high while having a similar Oline as last year would be insane to go through again. Fix the Oline first, then you can tell what talent you really have here. We saw a perfect example of that last year with letting Collins go and what he was able to do behind just an average line.
So yes, no RB is fine with me if we accomplish building a decent line and provide depth in other needed positions.

What I do know is...we are not going to fix everything in 1 draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's a very deep RB class, so I expect us to pick one.............as we always do.

When? Have no idea, I quit a LONG time ago trying to figure out Schneider on draft day.

But how would I feel if we didn't? I'd be disappointed, but IMO it's not the most glaring position of need, and Davis and Carson are good backs if we can shore up the line.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":3s4u31mo said:

He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.

That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I won't mind if they skip RB in the draft (as SEA has a lot of needs and not very many picks)...but they better pick up a good prospect as an undrafted FA or a young(er) vet in free agency. Carson and Davis aren't going to cut it.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFan72":53pv76sj said:
Carson and Davis aren't going to cut it.

Strong opinion. Any reason behind that other than Carson's durability concerns?

original poster

Reaction score
If were setting the bar at Chris Carson and Mike Davis, the run game is doomed.

Mike Davis is a journeyman RB (although I really like the guy) and Chris Carson ran for 208 yards over 4 games (4.2 average).

It's yet to be determined if Chris Carson can be a franchise, 3 down back in the league, but I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him 3rd or lower on the depth chart next season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I try not to overly focus on which position we are drafting or handling via free agency. We could feasibly find a good RB signed as an undrafted free agent. I would be both shocked and disappointed if they don't address the RB situation in some meaningful way though. I doubt that they will ignore it though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":3oq94nnw said:
If were setting the bar at Chris Carson and Mike Davis, the run game is doomed.

Mike Davis is a journeyman RB (although I really like the guy) and Chris Carson ran for 208 yards over 4 games (4.2 average).

It's yet to be determined if Chris Carson can be a franchise, 3 down back in the league, but I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him 3rd or lower on the depth chart next season.

I'm still high on Carson, obviously if he can stay healthy..............and this question is moot anyway because there's no way Pete and John go into 2018 with just Carson and maybe Rawls and Davis as the RB's.

With how tight out cap is, I don't see any other way this goes other than drafting a young stud if Schneider can work his draft magic and get a couple more early round picks.

sdog1981

Reaction score
At this point, I am a little worried about how the Seahawks training staff handles the player's recoveries. Rawls was a monster then got hurt and has not been the same since. CJ Prosise should donate his body to science so they can discover how a human body could be made of glass.

So I think Carson can do it. Before he got hurt he was averaging about 4 yards a carry and to top it off he had the season-high single-game rushing yardage total of 93 yards. So I would not be disappointed that the team would want to stick with him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's looking less and less that the Hawks are going to get a shot at Michel, as he is already climbing draft boards even though he hasn't even shown at the combine yet.

But yeah, it would be stupid not to throw in on this draft. I do not want to go the way of FA again. Davis' contract would even seem silly for a backup to Carson. Also, that said, even if we trade down and end up taking a back in the 2nd they still aren't going to start over Carson right away if at all. Carson is a stud, but you have to have two backs.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":124clrt0 said:
original poster":124clrt0 said:

That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.
I don’t see how the poster gets to set the framework for a reality that is yet to exist. Being 2 million minimum for Davis changes things whether we like it or not. I was expecting him back, but now it's a huge question.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":39h11a9y said:
It's looking less and less that the Hawks are going to get a shot at Michel, as he is already climbing draft boards even though he hasn't even shown at the combine yet.

But yeah, it would be stupid not to throw in on this draft. I do not want to go the way of FA again. Davis' contract would even seem silly for a backup to Carson. Also, that said, even if we trade down and end up taking a back in the 2nd they still aren't going to start over Carson right away if at all. Carson is a stud, but you have to have two backs.

Probably the only way Davis's contract makes sense is if we don't get our guy in the draft, we cut Rawls and Pete plans on splitting carriers between Carson and Davis.

All seems unlikely, but that's the only scenario where it makes sense to spend almost 2M on Davis's tender.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also, bravo to original poster for the name selection. Now I'm not sure if I'm saying what I think I'm saying.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Last year might have been a better RB draft than for the secondary.

We picked a guy up in the late rounds.

Passing on a # of RBs that turned into studs.

(Admittedly, with our line those guys might not have developed here though)

This year has some solid contenders but it feels like a draft where undervaluing the RB might not happen as much. In past years, a lot of those RBs would drop pretty far and even Barkley might have made it to the middle of the 1st. Very unlikely this year.

We need a RB. Standing pat would be pretty foolish. But I don't know that there will be real difference makers there by the time we pick and I am worried we will trade the pick and move down anyway.

If Michel or Penny are there, I will be very upset if we pass on them.

That kid out of the Auburn looks pretty good too. So hopefully someone decent falls to them.

Sticking with what we have would be really difficult to stomach right now.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27ra79t5 said:
vin.couve12":27ra79t5 said:

Probably the only way Davis's contract makes sense is if we don't get our guy in the draft, we cut Rawls and Pete plans on splitting carriers between Carson and Davis.

All seems unlikely, but that's the only scenario where it makes sense to spend almost 2M on Davis's tender.
I think Rawls is an RFA. We could tender him and potentially keep him around as a 3rd string, but I'm not sure what the reasoning would be.

Even not getting a shot at Michel though, there is still Penny, Freeman, Chubbs probably all available in the 3rd and Ballage probably available in the late 4th to 5th round as well. Penny or Freeman would be my choices there, but we have a lot of options.

Carson
Draft pick
Mckissic
Prosise
Multiple UDFAs

Tre Madden and the new kid...uh...Fowler vying for the FB job.

Edit: Fowler could absolutely win that job, btw. Reminds me a little of Leonard Weaver, albeit bigger and not as fast.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":lhgn507t said:
Seymour":lhgn507t said:
original poster":lhgn507t said:

I don’t see how the poster gets to set the framework for a reality that is yet to exist. Being 2 million minimum for Davis changes things whether we like it or not. I was expecting him back, but now it's a huge question.

It's not a $2M minimum if we pick him back up after he clears which also can happen. Point is, the thread changes when you throw in your own anticipated scenario.

I also question those numbers. He was a 4th round pick (#126) not a 2nd.

Latest posts