RB movements and adjustments under Schottenheimer and Solari

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think I have Michel as my number 2 RB right now and pretty clearly. Explosive, powerful, AND polished overall, he can start for somebody right away. I think he’s just a step shy of Barkley.

Still high on Perry though. Still reminds me of a bigger version of Harvin. I think he’s dangerous in a lot of ways. Hopefully not for a team's locker room though...

I really try to like Guice and try to see what everyone else is seeing, but all I see is Rawls. Doesn't have a single physical trait that stands out, just like Rawls. Also tries to run like he's 230 like Rawls and all that's going to do is get him hurt, also like Rawls. He proba ly has better vision than Rawls, but either way, I wouldn't touch Guice. We already have him basically and he'll be injured a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Pete has his eye on Reggie Bush....errra Ronald Jones. I think he wants that explosive toy and knows he can't depend on Procise. McKissic is fine and all, but he's kind of an off brand that you might settle for.

We need some frickin draft picks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1rmywp6n said:
I find the title of this vid sort of amusing. I remember people telling me how fast McCaffrey was and I said, "Yeah...probably runs a 4.5 at the combine." It's funny how people automatically think things that aren't true just because of some profile of smaller backs and all that. Love is also a 4.5 flat guy, I'm pretty sure. Not a tackle breaker at the next level, like McCaffrey. He'll be overdrafted like McCaffrey too.

As a RB you have to be exceptional at something or have an overall combination that's sufficient. LeSean McCoy is an example of a kid who was smallish, 4.6 40, not very strong, but you put on the tape and he just has impeccable timing and natural know how. You have guys who are burners. You have guys who can run people over, guys who are really quick, but you have to have something that is really elite or an overall combination. Just not seeing it with Love...just like McCaffrey. 4th round would be fair return on investment in sort of a "safe" bet where you have little chance of getting more than you bargained for. Anything beyond that 4th round and you have reached. Carolina reached. He's not a top end NFL RB.

[youtube]BiQ43Y_T6fw[/youtube]

Meh, I think McAffery was over drafted but I'm not sure Carolina "reached" all that much. They knew they weren't getting a bell cow RB, but they also envisioned pairing him with an aging Stewart and splitting the touches. McAffery is a do it all back that will split out wide, and the Panthers wanted that. They wanted Cam to be able to take an easy dump off or safety valve and have the RB turn it into 20 yards.

I see Love the same way. He's more of a RB/WR that fits into the backfield. Love would be a great change of pace back paired with Carson, but we already have that on our squad in McKissic (although Love is bigger and stronger). It wouldn't be worth the draft capital to spend on Love, but there is a spot for him.

Whoever we get needs to have more breakaway speed than Carson. I like what Carson does, but he's not going to be much of a chunk runner, he's going to grind but not get much more than 15 yards all that often.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That's fair. I do think that if you want a more explosive and quick player that's not really a bell cow then you gotta go with Jones in this draft.

The problem I'm having is that you also have guys like Michel and Penny who can take it to the house just as well, but they are potential 220 pound feature type guys or at least guys that you can roll with a great 1-2.

Freeman even fits that mold and on that note, after reviewing his 2017 vs games I think I have underrated Freeman.

Still, the argument can be made for guys like Jones and Love that you really can't just have one back anymore anyway.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Something of note: Bo Scarbrough is basically Henry all over again and no one is talking about him. One reason is probably his injury history, but the other part is that this draft has some damn good backs.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I would so love to see Penny in a Hawks uniform. Penny wise and pound foolish :irishdrinkers:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If Davis is retained, that gives us Carson as a starter, Davis as a backup, and Prosise and a slight maybe as a 3rd down back, which really isn't even necessary with Carson there. It got me thinking though, with Carson and Davis, we're going to be looking for that home run threat that can really play in the passing game like Pete wanted Prosise to be.

I still keep coming back to Michel, Perry, Jones II, and Freeman. One or more of them has to be a target. Maybe this was in the back of my head the whole time I've been looking. Maybe not.

[youtube]9JYRUpcx4s0[/youtube]
[youtube]3bu7eSermkU[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If Davis isn't retained I'm not sure that Chubb isn't on the table later. He's compared to Gurley, but he's not as agile, I don't think, and he can be slow footed. Like Gurley, however, if you give him a crease and can get him going N/S then he's surprisingly fast and explosive. Just don't ask him to do a lot of juking and creating on his own. He's not what you would call "sudden."

I still seriously hope someone is stupid enough to take Guice before the Hawks pick just to make sure that mistake doesn't happen. I still see Rawls, albeit without the purse snatching.

chris98251

Reaction score
McKissic isn't going anywhere, I would think Prosise is going to have his role changed to more a pure receiver anyway. Carson may still be a year away to being 100 percent, able to play probably back to form doubtful. I also don't think we take a back until like the third round with some trades.

So a possible Carson, and if we resign Davis McKissic should be a lock and Prosise in between injuries. Which is why McKissic isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Guice from LSU is a beast. If he's available, he would be worth a look, especially if they trade down and he's still there in the 2nd or even very late in the 1st.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Too bad they didn’t get rid of Chad Morton as rb coach. Bringing Sherm Smith back would be an upgrade.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Locks- Rookie (1st-3rd rd), Vet ($2-5M APY)
Probably- McKissic, rookie ((4th-7th rd)
Possibly- Davis and Carson
Doubtful- Rawls and Prosise

I'm facinated with Royce Freeman right now, they guy avoids tackelers soo well, he looks to have amazing vision and a natural feel. If he runs 4.5-4.6 he should be available outside the 1st rd.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I see no reason to invest big at running back while we have Carson, unless someone can show me he has some bone-strength deficiency that suddenly appeared last year.

The general solution to problems proposed here seems to be "get a free agent" or "draft someone" when often the answer is that we had the guy but he got hurt. All we have to do is get him back from injury, and by all accounts Carson will be fine to start camp.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I would agree that Carson is the guy game 1 next year, but he's still just one guy. Davis is fine, but he's also not under contract while there are some real gems in this draft. You gotta have two backs these days.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Mayock has now likened Michel to Kamara, which isn't good, from a draft perspective for the Hawks.

Been trying to finds some diamonds in the rough and there aren't a lot of them.

Lavon Coleman might ne one though. He looked a lot better in '16 than 17 and might evem go undrafted. Seems like a good camp candidate to recapture previous form.

I want to like Chris Warren, but he's a UDFA that just doesn't run like someone you'd draft. He needs to become an hback and put more effort into blocking and receiving.

I'm not sure Ballage qualifies as under the radar anymore.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
lobohawk":le6s805f said:
I may be a homer, but I'd love to see what they could do with Jaylen Samuels from NC State. Played TE, RB, Slot, FB at 5'11'' and 223lbs. Could see him putting on 10-15 lbs if necessary. If they get lucky, might see him in mid rounds cause he doesn't really fit a specific mold for every team and I'll take Walter's projection with a grain of salt.

Draft profile
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018FB.php

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/NCState_logo.gif

Jaylen Samuels, FB, N.C. State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 223.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

1/13/18: Samuels totaled 76 receptions for 597 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. On the ground, he averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 403 yards and 12 touchdowns. Samuels accepted an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl.

Samuels is a unique prospect for the next level. The senior is listed as a tight end, plays some H-back, takes carries out of the backfield, and also gets split out wide. In speaking with scouts, they like Samuels, and some think that his best fit would come as a third-down running back. They think he has really good hands, is a nice receiver, and could also run the rock in those situations. They think that Samuels could be tried as a fullback as well. Samuels is a good route-runner with subtle quickness and athleticism that makes him a mismatch weapon. Samuels could be a steal as a passing weapon on Day 2.

[youtube]E1HGHiaNsl4[/youtube]
He's a hell of a football player. He's not quite big enough for FB and he's not quite feature back material either though. I like him a lot, but I think he needs to be on a passing team as a 3rd down back that also plays a lot of slot. The Pats will be all over him, I'd imagine.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ok so I think I found that sleeper I was looking for. Love the way he slides laterally between gaps and stays square. Runs with a lot of pop in those shoulders and has a good stiff arm too. Good vision and made even better with that awesome lateral jump cut.

[youtube]-jRr8UwgEVs[/youtube]

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
vin.couve12":25ciftm7 said:
Ok so I think I found that sleeper I was looking for. Love the way he slides laterally between gaps and stays square. Runs with a lot of pop in those shoulders and has a good stiff arm too. Good vision and made even better with that awesome lateral jump cut.

[youtube]-jRr8UwgEVs[/youtube]

Not bad.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
THUS FAR this is the only one I've found that fits the bill of a Carson type pickup in terms of value for the round taken. The ability is there obviously, but not the bigtime production so he's likely not going to be on too many teams' radar with all the other backs that they're drooling over.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
UDFA. This kid would probably hate the idea, but I always loved FBs where it's hard to justify taking them off the field. FBs that have wheels, can catch, punish defenders, etc. Basically the whole shabang like Marcel Reece. I think it would take Nall a year or so on the PS and if you can put 10 pounds on him, at 6'2 247 (with added 10 pounds) you're looking at a potential for a Mike Alstott or Leonard Weaver type FB that can catch and also pitch in as a Move TE. You can also give him some carries too, but with this kid's lack of quickness and footwork, he's going to have to remain versatile. I can think of quite a few reasons you want him on your team though. Sort of an all around player that likes the physical part of the game, but can take off with speed in the open field.

[youtube]onPWdt58lvE[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Chris Warren's kid is another candidate for that role. He's even bigger than Nall at 6'4 250 (Nall is 6'2 237). I'm not sure he likes contact quite as much as Nall, but if you watch some of the vs vids, that Texas....almost high school basic offense makes him lead block for the QB quite a bit. He'll also be a UDFA.

[youtube]WgpxPgqw1YE[/youtube]