What I would do with Sherman

massari

Reaction score
If the Raiders offer a 3rd rounder (75th overall) for him to come home and play opposite of Gareon Conley, I'd be down for that.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/954608290658471936[/tweet]
Remember, The Jets traded Darrelle Revis when he was about Sherman's age and coming off ACL surgery for a 1st+4th.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas. He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kxr3nc3 said:
I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas.

Strong safety, not free safety. The Chancellor role, not the Thomas one. He's 2-tenths faster than Chancellor in the 40, so if Sherman is too slow, what is Chancellor?

SoulfishHawk":3kxr3nc3 said:
He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.

He also relies on his brain, which leads to...

adeltaY":3kxr3nc3 said:
I don't get why people think Sherman would be a good safety.

Because he's a student of the game and does a ton of research on tendencies and tells to determine what the coming play is, which allows him to be at the right place at the right time. That transcends physical talent and measurables when it comes to what position a player can play. He was a receiver transitioned to corner and wasn't a complete disaster at it...

James in PA

Reaction score
I have a feeling we’ll trade him to New England, probably for a 3rd round pick. Coulda had a 2nd for him if he weren’t coming off a serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
James in PA":1zwk12jf said:
I have a feeling we’ll trade him to New England, probably for a 3rd round pick. Coulda had a 2nd for him if he weren’t coming off a serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, won’t happen.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well based on all the threads so far we should have about 140 million in cap space and 45 draft picks lined up with everyone thinking we should trade just about every player or cut every other player other then players on their rookie deal.

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1k53c6xr said:
SoulfishHawk":1k53c6xr said:
I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas.

Strong safety, not free safety. The Chancellor role, not the Thomas one. He's 2-tenths faster than Chancellor in the 40, so if Sherman is too slow, what is Chancellor?

SoulfishHawk":1k53c6xr said:
He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.

He also relies on his brain, which leads to...

adeltaY":1k53c6xr said:
I don't get why people think Sherman would be a good safety.

Because he's a student of the game and does a ton of research on tendencies and tells to determine what the coming play is, which allows him to be at the right place at the right time. That transcends physical talent and measurables when it comes to what position a player can play. He was a receiver transitioned to corner and wasn't a complete disaster at it...

Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS? He's super lanky, though he is a fantastic and willing tackler. Not sure how well he would fare in the box. Just because he's smart/has high football IQ doesn't mean he'd play well at a different position. Are there any examples besides Woodson? I don't think Sherm is the same type of athlete, Woodson was a freak.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":3r4yuv9y said:
Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS?.

No he doesn't, Sherman's long and lean, you need big and strong to play SS.

I think people get confused because he's a good tackler, which he is. But he's taking on WR's and RB's going laterally to the sideline, not FB's, RB's, TE's and offensive lineman at the 2nd level.

Plus he'd never want to do that, not when he can make more and play better at corner.

Fade

Reaction score
To maximize value (you can't get anything for him now) you have to stand pat.

Sherm is in a contract year. He will be doing everything in his power to get paid. Use that to your advantage and trade him mid-season for a lot more than what you would get if you traded him now.

Sherm isn't close to being washed up though. He has a similar mental & athleticism build comp to Charles Tillman, who stayed effective at Corner until age 34. Sherm has -oldman- game. He wins with his mind, and technique, not with freak athleticism. That is why he was a 5th rd pick in the first place.

Trade him mid-season if Seattle isn't confident that they can't work out a long term deal. Otherwise extend him.

EDIT: Sherm can't play Safety in Seattle's scheme he would have to move to a 2-High defense to play Safety. Even still his best spot is playing on the outside as a Zone Corner. (You don't need a lot of speed to play this spot.)

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
I would wait to see what the final verdict on Kam is.

When Kam held out defenses targeted Sherm all the time and he was getting beat bad. It became apparent to me that Sherm had grown dependent on Kam’s presence, and benefited on the fear receivers had of getting destroyed on a brutal Chancellor hit the second the ball touched their fingers, and wasn’t worth all the hype he created for himself before that.

Right now Sherm has more value as a memory/unknown than he will after the 2018 season IF Kam isn’t on the field with him.

We would be smart to trade him instead of play him if his Dependasaurus Rex isn’t backing him up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":no786ycj said:
adeltaY":no786ycj said:
Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS?.

No he doesn't, Sherman's long and lean, you need big and strong to play SS.

I think people get confused because he's a good tackler, which he is. But he's taking on WR's and RB's going laterally to the sideline, not FB's, RB's, TE's and offensive lineman at the 2nd level.

Plus he'd never want to do that, not when he can make more and play better at corner.
Agree. Him playing SS is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.
He is a corner, and still a pretty good one. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sherman has lost a step. He's a great position player with an even stronger mental game so he's been able to cover that deficiency the last couple seasons. (though teams seemed to be going right at him more often this past season thinking you could run by him and sometimes they were right.)

If he comes back even a little slower, he won't get away with that anymore. He'll be targeted over and over again.

He's too light to play SS. His frame won't hold up. (He's what, 30 pounds lighter than Kam?)

Hawks are shopping him.

That's the right thing at this point as he's def. on the decline...

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2nn401da said:
Sherman has lost a step. He's a great position player with an even stronger mental game so he's been able to cover that deficiency the last couple seasons. (though teams seemed to be going right at him more often this past season thinking you could run by him and sometimes they were right.)

If he comes back even a little slower, he won't get away with that anymore. He'll be targeted over and over again.

He's too light to play SS. His frame won't hold up. (He's what, 30 pounds lighter than Kam?)

Hawks are shopping him.

He was playing with a bum Achilles till it ruptured, year before he has something else going on with his hip or leg. When your playing against someone you can tell when they aren't right, guile and moxie helps but once your found out they will go after you.

I don't want to hear Carroll with a bunch of coach speak come camp about him and protect him by not showing him if they are serious, if he can play he needs to be seen as able not a question mark. If he is back to form he shuts up doubters and makes his value set higher as well when he is a FA.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":ctqfr42d said:
semiahmoo":ctqfr42d said:

Hawks are shopping him.

He was playing with a bum Achilles till it ruptured, year before he has something else going on with his hip or leg. When your playing against someone you can tell when they aren't right, guile and moxie helps but once your found out they will go after you.

I don't want to hear Carroll with a bunch of coach speak come camp about him and protect him by not showing him if they are serious, if he can play he needs to be seen as able not a question mark. If he is back to form he shuts up doubters and makes his value set higher as well when he is a FA.

Agree!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I would hate to see him go, but if a team offers something worth listening to, they stand to save a ton of cap space. That being said, I really hope he plays at least one more season here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":o9w9ukc9 said:
I would hate to see him go, but if a team offers something worth listening to, they stand to save a ton of cap space. That being said, I really hope he plays at least one more season here.

What team would take Sherman on in the last year of his deal coming off a major Achilles rupture.

Last year was the year to get something decent for Sherman, and if no one was offering the right price last year? Then they certainly won't this year.

We're stuck, at best as far as trade value Sherman comes back, plays well, shows no signs of his injury lingering and we can do a mid season trade for a mid round pick.

But highly doubt any of this happens.

MARK2623

Reaction score
I have this gut feeling that Richard is going to have a big year in 2018. I don't believe that we will trade him and in all actuality I see us trading Earl before Sherman. At the same time I don't think that will happen either, unless some team offers us something we couldn't refuse. Richard will come back from his injuries and be ready for the start of the season. In which I think a lot of QB's will test him and think that he isn't what he once was. Not like in the past couple of years where QB's just didn't throw to his side at all. And he'll show the league again why he is one of the top CB's in the league.

I think investing in Richard Sherman is a good idea. We all know he is not a tremendous athlete like a Patrick Peterson, but it's exactly that which makes him so great! He's so intelligent and know what his limitations are, so he knows how to put himself in the right position. I think if he can avoid any more major injuries and take care of his body, he is the type of player that can play into his late 30's like a Terrance Newman. I believe this injury will really add to that giant chip on his shoulder that is already there.