What I would do with Sherman

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MARK2623":38w10zee said:
I think investing in Richard Sherman is a good idea. We all know he is not a tremendous athlete like a Patrick Peterson, but it's exactly that which makes him so great! He's so intelligent and know what his limitations are, so he knows how to put himself in the right position. I think if he can avoid any more major injuries and take care of his body, he is the type of player that can play into his late 30's like a Terrance Newman. I believe this injury will really add to that giant chip on his shoulder that is already there.

Then you're doing exactly what you did with Kam and Bennett ( and what we're trying to avoid with Earl), investing a LOT of cap in an aging vet on the downside of his career who's probably going to start getting injured more and more...............or at the least have his play diminish while still paying him 12+M a year.

Sherman also doesn't seem like the type of player that'll take a hometown discount after this year, unless it's a one year prove it deal because he got hurt again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't think he IS going to be traded. Would much rather roll the dice with a guy who has a chip and his talent.
He's gonna' be solid this year imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1klalwmm said:
I don't think he IS going to be traded. Would much rather roll the dice with a guy who has a chip and his talent.
He's gonna' be solid this year imo.

So you want to give Sherman a big extension? Cause we're already rolling the dice with him this year, we have no choice.

chris98251

Reaction score
What we can do is re do his deal and extend him with performance incentives due to his injuries and bonus money, would he do it, probably not, basically a Brady deal, it would make him much more easily to be cut or traded with less a cap hit as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wugbx46 said:
I didn't say give him an extension, not once. Let him play in 2018 and see how he looks.

I didn't say you did, I am saying what I would do with Sherman, help cap, help team, motivate him.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":19ytlfi8 said:
I didn't say give him an extension, not once. Let him play in 2018 and see how he looks.

I didn't say you did, I am saying what I would do with Sherman, help cap, help team, motivate him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know, Largent was asking. I just prefer they either re-do his deal for a lower $ (though I doubt he would do that) or let him play 2018 and see how he plays before doing an extension.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2trjqg7g said:
The L.O.B is officially done....

What exactly does that mean. The futures of Kam, Earl, and Sherm are all up in the air. The odds all three return to the field together at 100% has to be about 1 million to 1. Maybe less, I'm sure Vegas has odds for this somewhere. I am not going to go into all the options of what I think could happen with Kam or Earl, I just want to focus on Sherman here.

The Seahawks actually have some leverage with his contract. He is due 13.2 and we would save $11 if we cut him if possible. I think Sherman really does want to be here, and learned a good lesson after his off-season nonsense about getting traded. A new deal would be much more team friendly than the extension they gave Kam, but also extending him this season would offer him the long term security he is concerned with after the big injury. He will also get to end his career as a Seahawk.

Sherman will be in the HoF...

He will go down in history as one if not the best tacklers in the game. He will also be recognized for his ability to track the ball and bring in INT's at an elite rate. Not to mention his big mouth and game saving big plays.

Is Safety an option?

Sherman following in Woodson's footsteps.

"In order to go from cornerback to safety, a player must be (1) a strong tackler, (2) instinctive and (3) realistic. All three points make straightaway speed secondary (no pun intended). If a player can anticipate a throw, the early jump puts them in position get their target to the ground." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334 ... -to-safety

Both Kam and Earl could be gone and that leaves a giant hole to fill. Sherman was never a speedy guy, he has made up for speed with smarts, technique, and determination. If he is a half step slower will he be better served for us jamming slot receivers, matching up on big speedy TE's, roaming the middle picking off deep balls, and filling the gap on run plays. I think it could extend his career another 4 years if he makes the switch.

With a more team friendly extension say 4 year $40 mil w/$16 Mil guaranteed we could save $5mil this season and have Sherman at $8 mil for next year. Is this the future for us or does he move on too?

Sherman to Safety, that is genius if you as me.

12forlife

Reaction score
I don't believe Sherman's body would hold up playing safety in the box the way this defense depends on. I know it wouldn't be a straight across trade, but I am liking the Idea of a Marcus Peters / Sherman trade. We have to start getting younger on def. IMO Earl is my favorite Seahawk of all time, but if the right trade / draft picks were offered I believe you have to entertain the idea. Bobby Wagner is the Center Stone of Defense now.

12forlife

Reaction score
IM with most people on this board, and believe Sherman could not hold up in the box, he is to lanky. I have nothing but love for Sherman, but the players in the league today have no loyalty. so why should the GM's? Plus we have allowed ourselves to get to old on Defense, and with injury's piling up on these veterans we have got old and stale. What made the Hawks great when we were in the hunt for the SB, was a bunch of young talent with chips on their shoulders busting their butts competing for PT. Now with the LOB all looking at 30 and huge cap hits for what we are now getting in return, and recovering from major injury it is time to do whatever it takes to get our def backfield full of young hungry talent again, I don't like it, but I feel we need to move on from Avril, Bennett, Kam & Sherman. I would be up for them trying to pull a trade with KC in a Sherman / Marcus Peters trade. if they are able to trade down from #18 and recover some draft picks, I like White out of WV as a Kam replacement. If McDowell can come back healthy (big if) and with already having made some steps in the right direction of the past couple drafts up front on Clark, Reed, Naz, and bringing in Sheldon Richardson, and Deion Jordan we solid young front and can back them with cheaper cap hits as backups. Plain and simple in my eyes NE never allow this to happen, They are loyal to Tom and only Tom, the rest of the team if you demand to much money, your gone, not playing up to your contract restructure or your gone, wanna holdout or become a cancer in the locker room bye bye. Pete & John have flipped the script on what made this team a true power, time for Pete / John to put on their big boy pants and make some tough calls this off season.

gcolby

Reaction score
INJURY PERSPECTIVE

From personal experience having ruptured my own Achilles I can say that the repaired one feels better than the one that never blew. Also going through the process I learned that a lot of people that blow one eventually blow the other one too. I totally relate because I do feel like the other one is just not right and would go if I pushed it.

I have no clue what this pro-active procedure is that Sherm just had done but from my experience it makes intuitive sense to me that this could actually be a really good thing. I have no doubt he will feel and perform better when he gets back.

TRADE PERSPECTIVE

Unlike Thomas I get the impression that Sherman actually would like to finish his career a Hawk. To me wanting to be here is a critical starting point in the trade thinking.

You hear from the other players that despite the periodic freak flag flying episodes Sherman is a great team guy. The way he is constructive mentoring Shaq etc so I conclude he adds value from that perspective.

He's always been one of the surest tacklers on the team and I think he will return to cover form when he is not dogged by a bad Achilles.

The injury perception also reduces trade value so all things considered I just can't see a compelling business case for Sherm trade talk.

Make Thomas's Cowboy dream come true and lets pick at #18 & 19 but Sherm stays.

hawkpride

Reaction score
Trade Sherm for Tyrann Mathieu and a 3rd, then shop Earl for OL help (a stud) and another draft pick. Would seem to make great sense to me.

original poster

Reaction score
hawkpride":31kbuezd said:
Trade Sherm for Tyrann Mathieu and a 3rd, then shop Earl for OL help (a stud) and another draft pick. Would seem to make great sense to me.

Not with that contract.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":3hms4h2b said:
hawkpride":3hms4h2b said:

Not with that contract.
With you on that.