You're the GM!!!!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":2rfrvefy said:
Beren":2rfrvefy said:
Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Of those who have been the GM so far: have the moves you've made mortgaged our space in future years?

Most of mine were progressively loaded with pretty even increases in cap hits. You could very easily lower the prorated bonuses and adjust the P5 base salaries if you wanted though.

Assuming Jeremy Lane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Jon Ryan aren't on the roster in 2019, Seattle has $101,008,510 in cap space. Albeit with only 19 players on the roster. But assuming you can get 7 2018 rookies on the roster they will likely end up will over $90M and 26 players on the roster.

They can do whatever they damn well please next year :)
Damn I almost want you to be the GM ..
To me the FO doesn't seem to always know what is doing half of the time.
Please do this again every season.I really got to see this..(Fun to read)
I don't have the time to put one together but you wouldn't like it anyways.

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2pamkqjr said:
original poster":2pamkqjr said:
Beren":2pamkqjr said:
Great thread. Wish I had the knowledge to contribute more meaningfully.

Of those who have been the GM so far: have the moves you've made mortgaged our space in future years?

Most of mine were progressively loaded with pretty even increases in cap hits. You could very easily lower the prorated bonuses and adjust the P5 base salaries if you wanted though.

Assuming Jeremy Lane, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett and Jon Ryan aren't on the roster in 2019, Seattle has $101,008,510 in cap space. Albeit with only 19 players on the roster. But assuming you can get 7 2018 rookies on the roster they will likely end up will over $90M and 26 players on the roster.

They can do whatever they damn well please next year :)
Damn I almost want you to be the GM ..
To me the FO doesn't seem to always know what is doing half of the time.
Please do this again every season.I really got to see this..(Fun to read)
I don't have the time to put one together but you wouldn't like it anyways.

I asked, they weren't interested. :)

Ginahawk

Reaction score
If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

There's 3 good picks that can be traded before the draft. 2 thirds and a 4th.

In a draft deep with RB, TE and OT, the Hawks should be able to reload.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Ginahawk":1nhlt6fp said:
If I'm the GM I don't sign S. Richardson and get a 3rd round comp pick. I DON'T sign the other Richardson and get a 4th round comp pick. I don't sign I'm Jimmy for another 3rd comp pick

Comp picks aren’t computed until the following offseason. We could not trade them this year before they’ve even computed what we are getting. We would be able to trade them next offseason.

Ginahawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":3b9fgoft said:
Ginahawk":3b9fgoft said:

Comp picks aren’t computed until the following offseason. We could not trade them this year before they’ve even computed what we are getting. We would be able to trade them next offseason.

This year comp picks are tradeable and that includes future comp picks.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Ginahawk":1mhusbzp said:
pcbball12":1mhusbzp said:
Ginahawk":1mhusbzp said:

We don’t have any comp picks this year. How could we trade future comp picks when we don’t even know what they will be? The league doesn’t even calculate who is getting comp picks until the following year.

I understand comp picks are tradeable. The comp picks teams have this draft are from last years free agency. The company picks awarded to teams for next years draft will not be calculated and awarded until after the season is over. You can’t trade something you don’t currently have. Any comp pick we get from this years free agency will be tradeable next draft, not this current one.

massari

Reaction score
Are half-assed GM attempts ok?

Cut:
Lane
Avril
Ryan

Trade: (wouldn't trade any of these guys for less than this)
Thomas for a 1st
Sherman for a 2nd or early 3rd
Bennett for a 3rd

re-sign:
S Bradley McDougald 2 years $8M
CB Byron Maxwell 2 year $8M
CB Justin Coleman 1 year $3M
DE Dion Jordan 1 year $2M

Sign:
SS Eric Reid 3 years $24M
TE Tyler Eifert 2 years $12M
DE Alex Okafor 1 year $3M
CB Jalen Collins 1 year vet min

Bonus - if enough money left over, sign DL Sheldon Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson 1 year $9M (Wilkerson expected to be released by Jets) and/or vet RB like Carlos Hyde 1 year $4M.

Trade:
4th round pick to Steelers for WR Martavis Bryant - $700k cap hit

Draft:
1st DL
1st OL
2nd BPA
3rd RB
Use the three 5th rounders and four 7th rounders to move up and pick BPA with those picks.

original poster

Reaction score
pcbball12":m51gpvzu said:
Ginahawk":m51gpvzu said:
pcbball12":m51gpvzu said:
Ginahawk":m51gpvzu said:

We don’t have any comp picks this year. How could we trade future comp picks when we don’t even know what they will be? The league doesn’t even calculate who is getting comp picks until the following year.

I understand comp picks are tradeable. The comp picks teams have this draft are from last years free agency. The company picks awarded to teams for next years draft will not be calculated and awarded until after the season is over. You can’t trade something you don’t currently have. Any comp pick we get from this years free agency will be tradeable next draft, not this current one.

Ginahawk is correct.

As far as I’m aware 2019 comp picks can be traded in 2018. Teams have a pretty good idea what comp picks are coming their way, although the NFL doesn’t officially share the (pretty complicated) formula for comp picks, if sites like OTC can accurately work them out, so can NFL teams.

If for example Sheldon signs with a team other than Seattle, the front office will be able to work out what comp pick will be awarded long before the team announce it.

pcbball12

Reaction score
original poster":2713f42d said:
pcbball12":2713f42d said:
Ginahawk":2713f42d said:
pcbball12":2713f42d said:

Ginahawk is correct.

As far as I’m aware 2019 comp picks can be traded in 2018. Teams have a pretty good idea what comp picks are coming their way, although the NFL doesn’t officially share the (pretty complicated) formula for comp picks, if sites like OTC can accurately work them out, so can NFL teams.

If for example Sheldon signs with a team other than Seattle, the front office will be able to work out what comp pick will be awarded long before the team announce it.
Having a good idea of what you may be getting or not, you can’t trade something you don’t currently have.

Edit: I just looked it up. Appears I am wrong. You can trade future comp picks, but if you aren’t awarded one it reverts to your original round pick a round later. There has to be stipulations in the trade it seems. Seems extremely flawed, but I guess you are correct

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":vhnmg480 said:
original poster":vhnmg480 said:
pcbball12":vhnmg480 said:
Ginahawk":vhnmg480 said:

Ginahawk is correct.

Having a good idea of what you may be getting or not, you can’t trade something you don’t currently have.

Edit: I just looked it up. Appears I am wrong. You can trade future comp picks, but if you aren’t awarded one it reverts to your original round pick a round later. There has to be stipulations in the trade it seems. Seems extremely flawed, but I guess you are correct
I was thinking your way and I am shocked that you can trade on assumption..
The NFL needs to fix that flawed way of awarding picks to a set process.

original poster

Reaction score
The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

It takes all sorts of things into consideration, mainly contract value but also things like snap counts etc.

pcbball12

Reaction score
original poster":3cdiraqo said:
The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

It takes all sorts of things into consideration, mainly contract value but also things like snap counts etc.
Ya, I know loosely what the formula consists of. But, if snap count has a factor, it blows my mind you can trade future comp picks before a player has even hit the field with his new team.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Really enjoying this thread. I only have informed opinions on current Seahawks players and select few opponents, and this year, pretty much no college players. I'll take a shot at this based on what I saw this year.

Overall I subscribe to much of kf3339's approach in the first post of this thread. Younger and cheaper on D. Apologies for my plagiarism. And, I want to get back to Pete's core values as a coach, play elite defense, and be able to run the football when we need to.

Part 1. Player cuts:

Cliff Avril - Saves $7M on cap space
Jeremy Lane - Saves $5M on cap space

I don't see the point of cutting Jon Ryan as it seems like he hits boomers when we really need it. However, I may be giving him too much cred for past seasons and not noticing a performance decline. I don't want to save $1M on a punter, like on a placekicker, and have it cost us two games and the playoffs.

Re-structuring:

Duane Brown - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $4M this year. Saves us about $3M in cap space this year.

Frees $15M in cap space, now at $29M.

Part 2. Our FA re-signings:

Bradley McDougal - 3 year contract $10M total with $2M signing bonus and 1st year base of $1M
Dion Jordan - 2 year contract for $10M at $2.5M first year and team option for $7.5M second year
Marcus Smith - 1 year contract $1m base salary
Luke Willson 2- year contract $1M signing bonus with first year salary at $500K

I don't think Sheldon Richardson improves us enough over our homegrown young DT talent to be worth the money. Richardson looked really good the first half dozen or so games, with interior QB pressure, but then seemed to become less disruptive, and I'm just not sold on the overall package for the cost.
I'd love to see Paul Richardson back in a Seahawks uniform, but not at the cost of overpaying him, and the downside is that he is a liability in run blocking.

This leaves about $20M in cap space for free agency and the draft.

Part 2A: Free agent targets:

Our motto: First, do no harm. And no reaching. Eddie Laces-Tied-Together, and Luke Joke, I'm looking at you.

TBD, OG - Looking for an NFL-quality lineman, strong in run game, average or better in pass pro. Defer to scouts and GM on naming specific targets. Target budget $6M, up to $8M for higher quality. Let's not miss out on another T.J. Lang.
Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
LB - Let's let Ken Norton Jr pick out an under-appreciated LB or two who will gain new life in this defense. Budget $4M.

If we can pick up a veteran G who fits Solari and Schottenheimer's scheme, beyond his play, he could also provide an example and mentor to the younger guys.
Crossing my fingers on the RT position, hoping Solari can make an existing guy or draft pick work.
I like ASJ as a player and think he could find new life in Seattle and would be more willing to return to his college hometown.
Defensively, I like our D-Line, and it's LB depth I'm concerned about, and a truly viable backup for Earl, and CB depth, as our Corners always seem to get nicked up during the season.
From the Dream On dept.: I really like Jay Ajayi, he is the only back I've seen who makes me think of Lynch in his prime. I think we missed that train.

That should leave roughly $7M in cap at this point. A little on the low-shaky side, in case of the need for midseason deals that require cap room. As I understand it, we were stuck with K Blair Witch due to having no room under the salary cap to sign a (better) replacement, mid-season.

Part 2B: Player trades:

Not going to trade Bennett. He played at a high level despite injury this year. Not a fan of the activism stuff, but going to ignore that. IMO he outperforms his contract. Keep.
I don't think we can get value for Earl Thomas compared to what he means to our defense. Earl's an emotional, sometimes impulsive guy who runs his mouth at times. Just a reflection of his passion for the game. Remember a couple days after breaking his leg he was tweeting about retiring? Yeah. Emotional, impulsive, and playing at a high level again. Keep. Draft his replacement and let Earl mentor him.

Part 3. Draft

FS, My top priority would be finding a successor/understudy for Earl Thomas at FS. First round, but no reaching if not there.
SS, After that, I'd like to find a successor to Kam at SS, to be McDougal's understudy/backup for a year or two. Granted, Kams don't grow on trees. Kam-Bam was originally a 5th rounder; seems like long odds for lightning to strike twice.
CB, Next priority would be to add some CB depth. I think we'll get a really good season out of Sherman this year, and let's bring in some CB depth who can benefit from his mentoring.
WR, Paul Richardson is probably gone/overpriced, so we need to bring in some receiver depth to groom. NFL level WR's, aside from Doug Baldwin, seem to need a full season or two to become true NFL-quality WRs. I think/hope Darboh from last year will start to show up more this year. Let's draft a couple prospects and let them develop and compete.
RBs, what a crapshoot. Our RBs all get injured. Maybe if our OL sucks less this year, they'll stay healthier? Yes, let's take a flyer on a couple unique talents if we have the opportunity. If Chris Carson comes back at the same level, that would help.
QB: We need a QB understudy to groom for times when Russell may not be available. Let's see what is available around the 5th and 6th rounds. Kirk Cousins, Russell's college adversary, was a 5th rounder the same year as Russell. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, IIRC. Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles about the value of having a backup QB who can come in and get the job done. I remember the AFC West days when the Seahawks would play John Elway and the Broncos, and Elway was out injured. Awesome, we're winning this game for sure! And then Elway's backup, Gary Kubiak, now an NFL head coach, would come in and carve up our defense for a Broncos win. Kubiak was an 8th rounder, ie, today, a UDFA.
LB, If we see a good prospect in the middle rounds, pull the trigger. KJ Wright was a 5th rounder IIRC. We need to be developing some LB depth and successors.
I'm wary of taking OL high. Maybe it's the memory of past failures.

Of course, publicly as the GM, I have to give the media BS and smokescreen, to keep everyone guessing. So I'll talk endlessly about how we are going to try hard to find DEs, DTs, and OLs in the draft, and name a few players that will be long gone by our picks as players we are targeting. Misdirection is part of the GM job.

Part 4. Player development (No cap impact aside from Practice Squad players making active roster)

TE, I'm hoping Tyrone Swoopes from Practice squad can make the roster and add some regular season contributions at TE this year.
WRM Looking for Amarah Darboh to contribute more at WR.
TE, Luke Vannett, here's looking, er, blocking at you.
WR/TE Tanner McEvoy, did you take notes watching Jimmy G do his thing in the red zone? This will be your 3rd year in the NFL, *if* you make the team. Show us.
DB/CB/SS/FS What do we have in our young DB's? Shaq Griffin is the real deal. Delano Hill, show us this year. And wasn't there one more young DB draft pick? Whoever you are, let's not be nameless anymore, make us know your name with your play.
DT, Looking for even bigger things from our young DTs. Naz Jones, keep it up. QJ, show us even more this year. We know you can.
DE, Branden Jackson can you get on the field more and get your name called more this year? You showed us flashes.

Young OL guys, who is going to step it up under Mike Solari's tutelage?

I'm including player development as I think it's a super important factor to consider, as it affects draft choices and free agent acquisitions. Pete & Co. put a lot of effort into developing the *whole roster*; it's one of Pete's strengths as a coach and leader.

Part 5. Other key factors - Existing players

CB, Richard Sherman, I fully expect Sherm to come back and play at a very high level. That's his makeup. I'm counting on that. I'll take some young corners in the draft, UDFAs or maybe pick up some under-appreciated young vets who would benefit from Sherman's tutelage. Out of Avril, Kam, and Sherman, the only one I expect to play another snap as a Seahawk is Sherman.
RB, Chris Carson, if it is looking like Carson will come back at a pre-injury level, he's my bell-cow RB. I don't have enough info to say right now. Hoping for good news prior to draft.
DE/DT, Michael Bennett, I think Bennett provides the value we pay him for, makes timely key plays, and plays through injury while still performing well. Keeping him.
DT, Malcolm McDowell, is this guy a football player, or a bust? Hoping to find out it's the first one this year.

I haven't truly addressed the edge rusher issue in my GM approach. That's a hole that needs to be filled. It looks like no Cliff Avril ever again, barring a miracle. Frank Clark does a great job, but we need it from both sides. Right now, I'm banking on getting Dion Jordan resigned, having him stay straight and play well, and hoping we get lucky, maybe find the next Chris Clemons in free agency, but I do not have a confident plan on this yet.

You know what, though... sometimes the teams that have the big year are teams that get a little lucky, have fewer injuries, and have unexpected guys come through. Kurt Warner and the SB champion StL Rams anyone? How about those Eagles, this year? Not to mention Case Closed and the Vikings. Yeah, more non-QB examples would help. OK, in 2013, let's go with Chris Clemons, Golden Tate, Malcolm Smith, Jerome Kearse, and even Bowie and Bailey, for not sucking worse, all were some non-name players (at the time) who made key plays at key times, leading to that SB48 win. Oh yeah, and that massively underpaid Russell Wilson dude at QB. Basically, the 2013 team was able to put $20M more of non-QB talent than other teams could, with Russell on his rookie contract.

I realize my GM work may come across as a "stand pat" approach more than some. It's partly that I like our young talent and believe in Pete's player development program, and partly that I don't really track free agents and college players to know very many names of guys with the right "game" to plug in, and also... In the recent past, the Seahawks have screwed themselves by trying to do too much in free agency, apparently out of desperation and maybe even desire to please the media by "doing something". Before there was Lacy and Joeckel, there was Harvin and that sucky overpaid CB we got from Philly. Corey or Cary something I think. First do no harm.

Anyway, I'd have to bring in some really good consultants and have the scouts do great work to avoid being sacked after (in middle of?) my first season. Scott McCloughan, I'll pay you well, set you up with an on-prem suite, complete with--well, never mind. Just be of clear mind when helping make key decisions on players.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ginahawk":1xgdcaz0 said:

I wanna keep Jimmy, but they need to let him go. I agree with your post.
Rack up the COMP picks for 2019.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
olyfan63":1g35s3si said:
Really enjoying this thread. I only have informed opinions on current Seahawks players and select few opponents, and this year, pretty much no college players. I'll take a shot at this based on what I saw this year.

Overall I subscribe to much of kf3339's approach in the first post of this thread. Younger and cheaper on D. Apologies for my plagiarism. And, I want to get back to Pete's core values as a coach, play elite defense, and be able to run the football when we need to.

Part 1. Player cuts:

Cliff Avril - Saves $7M on cap space
Jeremy Lane - Saves $5M on cap space

I don't see the point of cutting Jon Ryan as it seems like he hits boomers when we really need it. However, I may be giving him too much cred for past seasons and not noticing a performance decline. I don't want to save $1M on a punter, like on a placekicker, and have it cost us two games and the playoffs.

Re-structuring:

Duane Brown - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $4M this year. Saves us about $3M in cap space this year.

Frees $15M in cap space, now at $29M.

Part 2. Our FA re-signings:

Bradley McDougal - 3 year contract $10M total with $2M signing bonus and 1st year base of $1M
Dion Jordan - 2 year contract for $10M at $2.5M first year and team option for $7.5M second year
Marcus Smith - 1 year contract $1m base salary
Luke Willson 2- year contract $1M signing bonus with first year salary at $500K

I don't think Sheldon Richardson improves us enough over our homegrown young DT talent to be worth the money. Richardson looked really good the first half dozen or so games, with interior QB pressure, but then seemed to become less disruptive, and I'm just not sold on the overall package for the cost.
I'd love to see Paul Richardson back in a Seahawks uniform, but not at the cost of overpaying him, and the downside is that he is a liability in run blocking.

This leaves about $20M in cap space for free agency and the draft.

Part 2A: Free agent targets:

Our motto: First, do no harm. And no reaching. Eddie Laces-Tied-Together, and Luke Joke, I'm looking at you.

TBD, OG - Looking for an NFL-quality lineman, strong in run game, average or better in pass pro. Defer to scouts and GM on naming specific targets. Target budget $6M, up to $8M for higher quality. Let's not miss out on another T.J. Lang.
Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
LB - Let's let Ken Norton Jr pick out an under-appreciated LB or two who will gain new life in this defense. Budget $4M.

If we can pick up a veteran G who fits Solari and Schottenheimer's scheme, beyond his play, he could also provide an example and mentor to the younger guys.
Crossing my fingers on the RT position, hoping Solari can make an existing guy or draft pick work.
I like ASJ as a player and think he could find new life in Seattle and would be more willing to return to his college hometown.
Defensively, I like our D-Line, and it's LB depth I'm concerned about, and a truly viable backup for Earl, and CB depth, as our Corners always seem to get nicked up during the season.
From the Dream On dept.: I really like Jay Ajayi, he is the only back I've seen who makes me think of Lynch in his prime. I think we missed that train.

That should leave roughly $7M in cap at this point. A little on the low-shaky side, in case of the need for midseason deals that require cap room. As I understand it, we were stuck with K Blair Witch due to having no room under the salary cap to sign a (better) replacement, mid-season.

Part 2B: Player trades:

Not going to trade Bennett. He played at a high level despite injury this year. Not a fan of the activism stuff, but going to ignore that. IMO he outperforms his contract. Keep.
I don't think we can get value for Earl Thomas compared to what he means to our defense. Earl's an emotional, sometimes impulsive guy who runs his mouth at times. Just a reflection of his passion for the game. Remember a couple days after breaking his leg he was tweeting about retiring? Yeah. Emotional, impulsive, and playing at a high level again. Keep. Draft his replacement and let Earl mentor him.

Part 3. Draft

FS, My top priority would be finding a successor/understudy for Earl Thomas at FS. First round, but no reaching if not there.
SS, After that, I'd like to find a successor to Kam at SS, to be McDougal's understudy/backup for a year or two. Granted, Kams don't grow on trees. Kam-Bam was originally a 5th rounder; seems like long odds for lightning to strike twice.
CB, Next priority would be to add some CB depth. I think we'll get a really good season out of Sherman this year, and let's bring in some CB depth who can benefit from his mentoring.
WR, Paul Richardson is probably gone/overpriced, so we need to bring in some receiver depth to groom. NFL level WR's, aside from Doug Baldwin, seem to need a full season or two to become true NFL-quality WRs. I think/hope Darboh from last year will start to show up more this year. Let's draft a couple prospects and let them develop and compete.
RBs, what a crapshoot. Our RBs all get injured. Maybe if our OL sucks less this year, they'll stay healthier? Yes, let's take a flyer on a couple unique talents if we have the opportunity. If Chris Carson comes back at the same level, that would help.
QB: We need a QB understudy to groom for times when Russell may not be available. Let's see what is available around the 5th and 6th rounds. Kirk Cousins, Russell's college adversary, was a 5th rounder the same year as Russell. Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, IIRC. Just ask the Philadelphia Eagles about the value of having a backup QB who can come in and get the job done. I remember the AFC West days when the Seahawks would play John Elway and the Broncos, and Elway was out injured. Awesome, we're winning this game for sure! And then Elway's backup, Gary Kubiak, now an NFL head coach, would come in and carve up our defense for a Broncos win. Kubiak was an 8th rounder, ie, today, a UDFA.
LB, If we see a good prospect in the middle rounds, pull the trigger. KJ Wright was a 5th rounder IIRC. We need to be developing some LB depth and successors.
I'm wary of taking OL high. Maybe it's the memory of past failures.

Of course, publicly as the GM, I have to give the media BS and smokescreen, to keep everyone guessing. So I'll talk endlessly about how we are going to try hard to find DEs, DTs, and OLs in the draft, and name a few players that will be long gone by our picks as players we are targeting. Misdirection is part of the GM job.

Part 4. Player development (No cap impact aside from Practice Squad players making active roster)

TE, I'm hoping Tyrone Swoopes from Practice squad can make the roster and add some regular season contributions at TE this year.
WRM Looking for Amarah Darboh to contribute more at WR.
TE, Luke Vannett, here's looking, er, blocking at you.
WR/TE Tanner McEvoy, did you take notes watching Jimmy G do his thing in the red zone? This will be your 3rd year in the NFL, *if* you make the team. Show us.
DB/CB/SS/FS What do we have in our young DB's? Shaq Griffin is the real deal. Delano Hill, show us this year. And wasn't there one more young DB draft pick? Whoever you are, let's not be nameless anymore, make us know your name with your play.
DT, Looking for even bigger things from our young DTs. Naz Jones, keep it up. QJ, show us even more this year. We know you can.
DE, Branden Jackson can you get on the field more and get your name called more this year? You showed us flashes.

Young OL guys, who is going to step it up under Mike Solari's tutelage?

I'm including player development as I think it's a super important factor to consider, as it affects draft choices and free agent acquisitions. Pete & Co. put a lot of effort into developing the *whole roster*; it's one of Pete's strengths as a coach and leader.

Part 5. Other key factors - Existing players

CB, Richard Sherman, I fully expect Sherm to come back and play at a very high level. That's his makeup. I'm counting on that. I'll take some young corners in the draft, UDFAs or maybe pick up some under-appreciated young vets who would benefit from Sherman's tutelage. Out of Avril, Kam, and Sherman, the only one I expect to play another snap as a Seahawk is Sherman.
RB, Chris Carson, if it is looking like Carson will come back at a pre-injury level, he's my bell-cow RB. I don't have enough info to say right now. Hoping for good news prior to draft.
DE/DT, Michael Bennett, I think Bennett provides the value we pay him for, makes timely key plays, and plays through injury while still performing well. Keeping him.
DT, Malcolm McDowell, is this guy a football player, or a bust? Hoping to find out it's the first one this year.

I haven't truly addressed the edge rusher issue in my GM approach. That's a hole that needs to be filled. It looks like no Cliff Avril ever again, barring a miracle. Frank Clark does a great job, but we need it from both sides. Right now, I'm banking on getting Dion Jordan resigned, having him stay straight and play well, and hoping we get lucky, maybe find the next Chris Clemons in free agency, but I do not have a confident plan on this yet.

You know what, though... sometimes the teams that have the big year are teams that get a little lucky, have fewer injuries, and have unexpected guys come through. Kurt Warner and the SB champion StL Rams anyone? How about those Eagles, this year? Not to mention Case Closed and the Vikings. Yeah, more non-QB examples would help. OK, in 2013, let's go with Chris Clemons, Golden Tate, Malcolm Smith, Jerome Kearse, and even Bowie and Bailey, for not sucking worse, all were some non-name players (at the time) who made key plays at key times, leading to that SB48 win. Oh yeah, and that massively underpaid Russell Wilson dude at QB. Basically, the 2013 team was able to put $20M more of non-QB talent than other teams could, with Russell on his rookie contract.

I realize my GM work may come across as a "stand pat" approach more than some. It's partly that I like our young talent and believe in Pete's player development program, and partly that I don't really track free agents and college players to know very many names of guys with the right "game" to plug in, and also... In the recent past, the Seahawks have screwed themselves by trying to do too much in free agency, apparently out of desperation and maybe even desire to please the media by "doing something". Before there was Lacy and Joeckel, there was Harvin and that sucky overpaid CB we got from Philly. Corey or Cary something I think. First do no harm.

Anyway, I'd have to bring in some really good consultants and have the scouts do great work to avoid being sacked after (in middle of?) my first season. Scott McCloughan, I'll pay you well, set you up with an on-prem suite, complete with--well, never mind. Just be of clear mind when helping make key decisions on players.

Thanks for the shout out, but the post is your own work. Great Job!

Ginahawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":35twcpqv said:
original poster":35twcpqv said:
pcbball12":35twcpqv said:
Ginahawk":35twcpqv said:

Ginahawk is correct.

Yeah, I heard it on the radio weeks ago, and also looked it up before posting that. They are hypothetical picks but can be used, and boy do we need to be able to hypothetically use them this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
One interesting thing about how the NLTBE bonuses affect the following year's cap is that it creates a risk to overspending if NLTBE incentives are correlated. It's obvious that roster wide NLTBE incentives of $1m for winning the Super Bowl could be a very bad idea, but performance based incentives could also correlate if they share key components like offensive success; ie. Duane Brown's games started, RW's passing yards, and Lockett's receiving yards. Dependence causes problems for more than just football statistics.

AgentDib

Reaction score
March 1 plan.

Objective A
Maximize talent under a fixed salary cap by getting surplus value from players on rookie contracts. Compensatory picks are key, so this plan focuses on extending existing Hawks, letting some UFAs walk, and largely avoiding UFAs from other teams. Major weaknesses should be filled by extending our own players prior to draft to enable BPA approach. No March UFAs from other teams.

Objective B
Do not borrow from the future. Sensible cap charges are taken in 2018 to avoid snowballing the problem into future years. Compensatory picks key here as well.

Assumptions
$178.0m salary cap 2018 (higher than previously expected)

Defensive Line moves
Extend DT Sheldon Richardson: 5yr @ 12m/yr (10.8m cap hit 2018)
Release DE Cliff Avril (7.125m savings)
Re-sign DE Dion Jordan: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
Send DT Malik McDowell some vitamin water

Linebacker moves
Pursue cheap veteran UFA in May or later. Wilhoite type SAM replacement (~1m cap hit 2018)
Sign Will Compton (or similar) in May or later who can backup MIKE and WILL. (1.8m cap hit 2018)

Secondary moves
Extend FS Earl Thomas: 4yr @13.4m/yr (9.5m cap hit 2018)
Assume SS Kam Chancellor spends season on IR (9.3m cap hit)
Re-sign SS Bradley McDougald: 3yr @12m/yr (3.4m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign CB Justin Coleman: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign CB DeShawn Shead: 1yr @ 1.4m/yr (1.4m cap hit 2018)
Release CB Jeremy Lane (4.75m savings)
Release CB Neiko Thorpe (1.85m savings)
Expect growth from Griffin, Elliott, Tyson, Thompson, Hill (experience)
Let CB Richard Sherman play out his contract due to uncertainty regarding hamstring recovery. Depending on how it goes either extend next offseason or let him walk for a compensatory pick.

Earl's willingness to play here is key to this. If he isn't committed then move on.

QB moves
None

Running Back moves
Expect Carson to compete well for RB1 against drafted or veteran RB
Re-sign Mike Davis: RFA 1yr @ 0.8m/yr (0.8m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign JD McKissic: 1yr @ .63m/yr (0.63m cap hit 2018)
Do not expect CJ Prosise to contribute but retain anyways (cheap rookie contract)

Offensive Line moves
Extend Duane Brown: 3yr @ 10.25m/yr (9.75m cap hit 2018)
Expect growth from Fant and Ifedi (experience)
Expect growth from Ethan Pocic (building strength)
Let Luke Joeckel sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 6th)

Receiver/TE moves
Let Jimmy Graham sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 4th)
Let Paul Richardson sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 5th)
Expect growth from Vannett and Darboh (experience)

2018 Draft
Select at #18 if a top prospect has slipped, but otherwise trade down to acquire more lottery tickets. NYJ may be an ideal trading target if QB is available at #18 that they want.
Trade #18 and #168 with NYJ for #37 and #49.
Rookie #37 Pick DE Arden Key (snaps at both EDGE & SAM LB)
Rookie #49 Pick OG/C Billy Price (day 1 RG)
Rookie #120 Pick TE Ian Thomas (blocking TE)
Rookie #141 Pick RB Mark Walton (great hands, ball security)
Rookie #148 Pick DT Eddy Wilson (good run stopper)
Rookie #226 Pick K Eddy Pineiro (strong leg)
Rookie #248 Pick WR Antonio Calloway (raw potential but off field issues)
Rookie #250 Pick ILB Micah Kiser (MIKE/WILL competition)

Final salary cap (top 52)
$173.4m out of $178.0m
~$4.6m remaining space for injury/cutdown FAs/rollover

UVnEY9i

2019 draft picks
1st round
3rd round
4th round
4th round (comp Graham, potential 3rd)
5th round
5th round (comp Richardson)
6th round
6th round (comp Joeckel)
7th round

2020 draft picks
1st round
2nd round
3rd round
3rd round (comp Clark)
4th round
5th round
5th round (comp Sherman)
6th round
6th round (comp KJ)
6th round (comp Lockett)
7th round

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
AgentDib":2yte0kt6 said:
March 1 plan.

Objective A
Maximize talent under a fixed salary cap by getting surplus value from players on rookie contracts. Compensatory picks are key, so this plan focuses on extending existing Hawks, letting some UFAs walk, and largely avoiding UFAs from other teams. Major weaknesses should be filled by extending our own players prior to draft to enable BPA approach. No March UFAs from other teams.

Objective B
Do not borrow from the future. Sensible cap charges are taken in 2018 to avoid snowballing the problem into future years. Compensatory picks key here as well.

Assumptions
$178.0m salary cap 2018 (higher than previously expected)

Defensive Line moves
Extend DT Sheldon Richardson: 5yr @ 12m/yr (10.8m cap hit 2018)
Release DE Cliff Avril (7.125m savings)
Re-sign DE Dion Jordan: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
Send DT Malik McDowell some vitamin water

Linebacker moves
Pursue cheap veteran UFA in May or later. Wilhoite type SAM replacement (~1m cap hit 2018)
Sign Will Compton (or similar) in May or later who can backup MIKE and WILL. (1.8m cap hit 2018)

Secondary moves
Extend FS Earl Thomas: 4yr @13.4m/yr (9.5m cap hit 2018)
Assume SS Kam Chancellor spends season on IR (9.3m cap hit)
Re-sign SS Bradley McDougald: 3yr @12m/yr (3.4m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign CB Justin Coleman: Original round RFA tender (1.9m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign CB DeShawn Shead: 1yr @ 1.4m/yr (1.4m cap hit 2018)
Release CB Jeremy Lane (4.75m savings)
Release CB Neiko Thorpe (1.85m savings)
Expect growth from Griffin, Elliott, Tyson, Thompson, Hill (experience)
Let CB Richard Sherman play out his contract due to uncertainty regarding hamstring recovery. Depending on how it goes either extend next offseason or let him walk for a compensatory pick.

Earl's willingness to play here is key to this. If he isn't committed then move on.

QB moves
None

Running Back moves
Expect Carson to compete well for RB1 against drafted or veteran RB
Re-sign Mike Davis: RFA 1yr @ 0.8m/yr (0.8m cap hit 2018)
Re-sign JD McKissic: 1yr @ .63m/yr (0.63m cap hit 2018)
Do not expect CJ Prosise to contribute but retain anyways (cheap rookie contract)

Offensive Line moves
Extend Duane Brown: 3yr @ 10.25m/yr (9.75m cap hit 2018)
Expect growth from Fant and Ifedi (experience)
Expect growth from Ethan Pocic (building strength)
Let Luke Joeckel sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 6th)

Receiver/TE moves
Let Jimmy Graham sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 4th)
Let Paul Richardson sign elsewhere for 2019 compensatory pick (estimated 5th)
Expect growth from Vannett and Darboh (experience)

2018 Draft
Select at #18 if a top prospect has slipped, but otherwise trade down to acquire more lottery tickets. NYJ may be an ideal trading target if QB is available at #18 that they want.
Trade #18 and #168 with NYJ for #37 and #49.
Rookie #37 Pick DE Arden Key (snaps at both EDGE & SAM LB)
Rookie #49 Pick OG/C Billy Price (day 1 RG)
Rookie #120 Pick TE Ian Thomas (blocking TE)
Rookie #141 Pick RB Mark Walton (great hands, ball security)
Rookie #148 Pick DT Eddy Wilson (good run stopper)
Rookie #226 Pick K Eddy Pineiro (strong leg)
Rookie #248 Pick WR Antonio Calloway (raw potential but off field issues)
Rookie #250 Pick ILB Micah Kiser (MIKE/WILL competition)

Final salary cap (top 52)
$173.4m out of $178.0m
~$4.6m remaining space for injury/cutdown FAs/rollover

UVnEY9i

2019 draft picks
1st round
3rd round
4th round
4th round (comp Graham, potential 3rd)
5th round
5th round (comp Richardson)
6th round
6th round (comp Joeckel)
7th round

2020 draft picks
1st round
2nd round
3rd round
3rd round (comp Clark)
4th round
5th round
5th round (comp Sherman)
6th round
6th round (comp KJ)
6th round (comp Lockett)
7th round

Great Job! You obviously put a lot of thought into your plan.

gcolby

Reaction score
Fun thread. OK here goes a radical pipe dream from the armchair.

Main theme is the current dog just won't hunt so clean house and re-load with a better draft board. I admit I'm reaching but most draft boards have some serious talent around at #18 that I think could be building blocks that compliment the current crop of young guns in the house.

Sub-theme 1. The whole D takes a big jump if the interior of the D-line gets to Aaron Donald level of disruption. This is my priority because I think the payoff is huge; B-Wags stays clean and free to continue his awesomeness, Frank & Dion get a whole lot more dangerous off the edge and an interior push takes some pressure off a young re-building DB core.

Sub-theme 2. We've already been through the tunnel of hell with the OL and we're coming out the other side. Tinker and fill but no radical surgery.

OK so how to get this done.

CUTS (cap savings 13.9
Avril
Lane
Ryan

TRADES (cap savings 12.6)
Thomas (1st & 3rd)
Bennett (4th or 5th)
Lockete (5th)

RE-STRUCTURE RE-SIGN (cap hit 30)
Brown
Richardson 1
Richardson 2
Clark
Wright
McDougald
Willson

My math could be off but I think that left me with around 14 cap room for draft class and FAs

DRAFT
Just for shits and giggles the Hawks use both first round picks for once because some pieces like Derwin James and/or Vita Vea are still hanging around in mid first round.

After that best available player and a stab in the FA dark later and I think the money is gone.

Latest posts