Byron Maxwell

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":249tc76z said:
adeltaY":249tc76z said:
Aros":249tc76z said:
Atradees":249tc76z said:
We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.

Quote of the weekend.

The only CB of those we have right now is Shaq. Coleman should be back as a RFA.

And Coleman is overrated. Getting pick-sixes against Jacoby Brissett and a terrible decision by Dak Prescott doesn't make one a Pro bowler. He's also largely a slot corner.

Jimmy Graham is overrated.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Hope we can keep Byron on a good deal. Not worth Eagles or Dolphins money though. I always really liked the way he played in our system. I love they way he punches the ball. Damn he is 30? 2011 was a long time ago I guess.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":3su9x3yd said:
KiwiHawk":3su9x3yd said:
Maxwell is a little bit of a "low miles" player because his first year he only played 9 games mostly on special teams, and he also played only 9 in his second year.

But more importantly, he works in our defensive scheme. He didn't work in Philadelphia, or Miami, but he was good here before he left, and good when he came back. I think he's currently better than Coleman, and considering we just lightened our CB budget by a fair bit, we should be able to afford him.

He does tend to let the receiver catch the ball, but is a sure tackler and quite adept at forcing fumbles. He has 11 forced fumbles to match the 11 INTs in his career. Has decent size and speed. He has had some ankle and hamstring issues in the past couple years, but I'd certainly give him a 1-2 year deal until we find a sure replacement.

You're assuming our defensive scheme will remain the same.

Brave soul.
Are you suggesting Pete Carroll is not the architect of it?

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29vkyund said:
adeltaY":29vkyund said:
Aros":29vkyund said:
Atradees":29vkyund said:
We have Coleman, Maxwell, Thomas and Shaq Griffin. The cupboard is not bare.

Quote of the weekend.

The only CB of those we have right now is Shaq. Coleman should be back as a RFA.

And Coleman is overrated. Getting pick-sixes against Jacoby Brissett and a terrible decision by Dak Prescott doesn't make one a Pro bowler. He's also largely a slot corner.

Top 5 slot CB according to Bleacher Report. Teams play nickel what, 70%+ of the time so that's basically a starter.

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":2a9ihdkf said:
MontanaHawk05":2a9ihdkf said:
adeltaY":2a9ihdkf said:
Aros":2a9ihdkf said:
Quote of the weekend.

Top 5 slot CB according to Bleacher Report. Teams play nickel what, 70%+ of the time so that's basically a starter.

And earning less than $3M this season.

Tremendous value.

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
Tical21":1ul0u134 said:
Love Maxwell, but old guys with their best ball behind them aren't guys you re-sign during a youth movement.

Actually, that is exactly what you do. Cheap good veterans to coach up and lead the next group of studs.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Was watching a program on basketball the other day. Manning was green to his team and never even practiced with the team before he played for them. He asked one of the players what he needed to do and was told what had to happen. He did EXACTLY what he was told and failed miserably. After the play sequence, he approached the player and the player told him that he was trying to make the team too.

Coaching can come in many ways...and some of the players are bloodthirsty for the money.

Having Maxwell on the team for consistency may help. But coaching will ultimately come from the coaches. These players want to stay on the field as long as they can to get the incentive moneys.

If the team changes schemes, then Maxie will end up gone anyway.

By the way...I saw the basketball interview on WatchStadium dot com. Over the air tv boise channel 35.4.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm sure Maxwell will be done in the next couple of weeks.

Teams prioritize signings............McDougall was first, then Coleman was given a 2nd round tender yesterday, and I assume Jordan will also be given his tender today or tomorrow...........then John will start working on FA's once the window hits, and I assume Maxwell will be given a nice one year deal to stay.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Maxwell actually allowed a lot of yards last year. The graph is for "yards after the catch". It's low because Maxwell either was burned for a TD (no yards after the catch) or because he tackled a guy right after he caught it (low yards after the catch). The graph is very misleading and not really an indicator of good play.

Here's an example: In the Jaguars game he was targeted 9 times. He allowed 8 catches for 115 yards and a TD.

I hope he comes back, as he's a system guy who fits here. But I don't think he played as well as some as you think he did.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ieqxhg4 said:
I hope he comes back, as he's a system guy who fits here. But I don't think he played as well as some as you think he did.

I agree, and while I wouldn't mind him back next year, I'd not want him to be a starting corner. You want to give him 1-2M a year for some depth so he can spell the starters or if there's an injury? I'm fine with that, but any sort of starting CB contract and I'm out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18rn2aq5 said:
Here's an example: In the Jaguars game he was targeted 9 times. He allowed 8 catches for 115 yards and a TD.

Did you watch those plays? A couple of those were just uncoverable perfection-throws from Bortles having a Pro Bowl game. It happens sometimes. Lots of easy crossing routes in that game, too, Jax had a good gameplan and Maxwell got blamed for them. The TD looked like a coverage mixup involving Maxwell and Terence Garvin, so that was bad, but he also had a good defense near the end that could have changed the outcome if he made it a pick.

I dunno. Maxwell's all right. And his familiarity with the system does count for something. Again, it's one of those situations where our lack of draft collateral makes you go, "Who ELSE are we going to run with?"

hawker84

Reaction score
Maxwell is not good. He's mediocre at best. He does have a knack for making plays though, forced fumbles, etc... but as far as coverage he's garbage...

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Surprised many thought Maxwell played well. We must be watching different games cause he did not look good this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Love Maxwell and what he helped us achieve in his first go-round.

His game last season seemed to be to play 'off' then try to make a play on the ball or at least make a quick tackle. The only reason to bring in a guy like him is because of injuries (last year) or near complete failure to draft depth at CB.

As stated, he better come cheap or he's not worth it, imo.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think you have to consider Richard was having them play off and a lot more deeper zones a lot, not exactly Maxwells strength, could also be a reason he is gone BTW, were a press coverage defense at our best.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I think the fact that he struggled when he was in Miami and philly does us good when it come to signing him simply because other teams might look at that and figure this is the only system he’s good in

Camilobu02

Reaction score
I don't know, I am not convinced, he was good at the past years, but, the last season he did some mistakes, I am not convinced however He knows the seahawks plan

Jville

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell is one of those treasured tacklers that fights for every blade of grass. He sticks a ball carrier hard and in many cases stops them in their tracks ...... cold.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Im sure theyll get this one done as it'll be a no impact move. You either grab great corners or put pressure on the qb, we're going with the none of the above option.