What is our plan?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think it's a rebuild or at least a re-load where this is a real transition year. I think this goes back to last off-season. I think the front office knew the was coming on the horizon:

-Sherman's $11M - and this was before the injury (trade rumours last year)
-Contracts like Graham and Richardson coming due
-Looming situation with Thomas contract etc.

They knew they would have to make some tough calls regarding the core this off-season so decided to take a risk and go for it last year with the entire core intact:
-Restructure a couple of deals and add Richardson's money even though he had 1 year left - and give up a high pick
-Paying big money to Joekel to bring in a veteran presence on the line
-When the line wasn't working out (and the Fant injury) double down by trading another pick and bringing in Duane Brown.

As we are painfully aware it didn't work. Combination of season ending injuries on D, more shoddy o-line play, and a crappy kicker all there was to show for it was 9-7. Now the price has to pay paid for going all in. Double problem of not being able to pay to keep everyone AND not having 2 of your higher picks in the draft.
It's going to take more than 1 year to reshape things with younger guys.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3ui92kpb said:
<snip>PPS. Holy crap it's almost 2020 and we don't have hover cars or hoverboards. The Jetsons lied!!!

If you've ever driven on WA SR-167, you understand why the last thing we need is flying cars.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I think the extend of the rebuild/reload/rework/whatever is a bit overstated due to some events that had to be addressed anyway:

We paid top dollar for a CB who missed half the season. Did we want to go down that road again?
Graham and Richardson led the team in dropped passes. Both would be looking for top dollar. Does top dollar for dropped passes make sense?
Kam's replacement looks inevitable, and perhaps Avril's as well. Unfortunate injuries.
Are Lane and Shead really indications of a "rebuild" or just that we can do better?

If we hadn't replaced all the coaches except Pete, would this be considered a rebuild if the players mentioned went for perfectly rational, explainable reasons relating to injury and performance?

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":k76bavuj said:
I think the extend of the rebuild/reload/rework/whatever is a bit overstated due to some events that had to be addressed anyway:

We paid top dollar for a CB who missed half the season. Did we want to go down that road again?
Graham and Richardson led the team in dropped passes. Both would be looking for top dollar. Does top dollar for dropped passes make sense?
Kam's replacement looks inevitable, and perhaps Avril's as well. Unfortunate injuries.
Are Lane and Shead really indications of a "rebuild" or just that we can do better?

If we hadn't replaced all the coaches except Pete, would this be considered a rebuild if the players mentioned went for perfectly rational, explainable reasons relating to injury and performance?

If we tear down Centurylink and leave the field I guess that wouldn't be a rebuild either.

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13pvbflt said:

Sherman was playing at an elite level up til he got hurt. We match the incentive-laden deal the niners gave him and we'd be much better protected if he did get hurt again.

Graham and Richardson accounted for almost 1/3 of Wilson's targets and almost 1/2 of his TD passes. That FAR outweighs the drop problems they had.

The fact that Kam/Avril replacements are inevitable doesn't lessen the impact of them no longer being able to play for the team.

Lane wasn't good, but Shead was a solid starter at CB and a great depth piece. As of now, our only rostered CBs who we know can play well are Shaq and Coleman.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The plan is to miss the playoffs. Yearly. Only then can real change happen.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1r3bino2 said:
Yeah because they miss the playoffs so often under Pete and John :?

I heard quite a few times this past season that missing the playoffs was the best thing that could happen to this team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So far...

Out:
Sherman, Bennett, Shead, Rawls, Davis, P. Richardson, S. Richardson, Graham

In:
Alexander, Mingo, Brown, Dickson

Jville

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2r3scmwr said:
So far...

Out:

In:
Alexander, Mingo, Brown, Dickson + Marcus Johnson

Added Marcus Johnson as all in ..................

ap_17237064240996.jpg

SlickRick

Reaction score
But I think PC/JS are making smart moves.

1. Cut ties with your aging loose cannons
2. Free up cap space
3. Let your big money free agents go, and collect comp picks.
4. Sign solid role players with potential on the cheap.
5. Try to get a 1st and 3rd for ET
6. Focus on drafting a future star or two.

I’m hoping this allows our other stars (Wagz and RW) to really seize the leadership role in the locker room. I think there was getting to be a lot of friction due to too many chefs in the kitchen.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
SlickRick":28rx8q9d said:
But I think PC/JS are making smart moves.

1. Cut ties with your aging loose cannons
2. Free up cap space
3. Let your big money free agents go, and collect comp picks.
4. Sign solid role players with potential on the cheap.
5. Try to get a 1st and 3rd for ET
6. Focus on drafting a future star or two.

I’m hoping this allows our other stars (Wagz and RW) to really seize the leadership role in the locker room. I think there was getting to be a lot of friction due to too many chefs in the kitchen.
100%

Yes, we are re-tooling, if not rebuilding in some respects. Our window is still open, attempting to bridge specific positions, and remaining competitive. All teams do this...but you'll find those that are spending crazy $ in free agency will only have a certain, small window until the real cost comes to bite them, then they'll release those players, too. You build through the draft, and bridge through FA. If we...yes "we," can get some good draft capital for ET, then we can hopefully get a couple of playmakers in this draft, and help the cycle continue.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34ibm9ii said:
So far...

Out:

In:

Where did Rawls and Davis sign? I missed those.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
Seymour":3odw3vd5 said:
Uncle Si":3odw3vd5 said:
So far...

Out:

In:

Where did Rawls and Davis sign? I missed those.
nowhere as of yet i think rawls was visiting kcc and davis detroit

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":2banweb3 said:
We're just chilling out while the Rams and Niners take over the division.

The Rams will be fine until they need to pay their QB, then the wheels will start to wobble some.

The Digits on the other hand are building a roster that will be tough to contend with for a while.

Many here fail to recognize there is still a lot of talent on this roster and fixing a few areas may pay big dividends.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sell our fleet of BMW's.
Replace them with what's ever left over from the used car lot.

TreeRon

Reaction score
All of this, from the firing of coaches to the releasing/trading of players is a direct effect of NOT being able to produce an even mediocre offensive line over the last few years.
Had we had that O line we'd more than likely won at least one more game and we'd been in the play-offs and etc..

This malfeasance from Hawks management has had this huge domino effect impacting every position on the Seahawks, many of which had nothing to do with the offensive line.

Making lemonade however, had we had that mediocre O line and made the play offs, perhaps we'd have continued to over look some of the deficiencies of the other parts of our team.

I, like many of you, am anxiously waiting to see how JS and PC perform on this next draft. Another poor to mediocre draft should point to changes at the very top of the organization.

Jville

Reaction score
From time to time I am reminded how very difficult it is for many who treasure the comfort and security and guarantees of sustaining occupations to cope with change.

Life in project occupations is so very different than that of sustaining occupations. And, team building necessitates an ongoing series of projects.

Rat

Reaction score
jammerhawk":8adtfnay said:
[The Rams will be fine until they need to pay their QB, then the wheels will start to wobble some.

That's what, three years from now? In the mean time they still have Donald and Gurley, and added Peters and Talib. They'll be good for an eternity in NFL years. Heck, maybe they'll even learn from our mistakes and be able to keep it going longer, and it's not like paying Russ is the reason we've been trending downwards.