Britt option picked up, keeps him under contract through '20

12forlife

Reaction score
Jville":f76ci2pm said:
^^^
Getting the best 5 linemen on the field has been pretty much the norm around the NFL for decades. Posted objections are likely a reflection of the limits of an author's understanding. IMHO.

Bet you have your fingers crossed that we sign Pryor so he can come in at WR since he is versatile, then we have our backup incase Russell gets hurt behind a versatile Oline. :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
12forlife":lfbyam1a said:
Jville":lfbyam1a said:
^^^
Getting the best 5 linemen on the field has been pretty much the norm around the NFL for decades. Posted objections are likely a reflection of the limits of an author's understanding. IMHO.

Bet you have your fingers crossed that we sign Pryor so he can come in at WR since he is versatile, then we have our backup incase Russell gets hurt behind a versatile Oline. :2thumbs:

Focus: Neither Pryor as a receiver nor Wilson as a quarterback nor I as a poster are the subject of this thread.

12forlife

Reaction score
Focus: Neither Pryor as a receiver nor Wilson as a quarterback nor I as a poster are the subject of this thread.[/quote]

No, but my earlier post was, and you discredited that with some BS. Without obviously understanding my point, of way to many of our Oline starters & backups are considered "versatile". All I'm simply saying and others appear to agree, that your starters should be masters of their craft at a set position on the line, and not playing shuffle the deck every time one goes down. Just my simple minded opinion there is a huge difference in an elite "guard" & "Tackle".

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":2e383cun said:
[
Anybody remember the old adage ..... "the more things change the more things stay the same"?

I understand wanting to have a debate about the relative merits of versatile linemen vs more spot-specific linemen. No one is suggesting versatility isn't a virtue. The suggestion is that perhaps we might have placed just a bit more emphasis on it than was best, and given Cable's failure and subsequent firing, questioning his approaches and areas of emphasis is hardly unreasonable.

What I don't get is to completely dismiss such questions and then mumble something about getting the best 5 linemen on the field as if that approach isn't also combined with specific players and profiles being targeted for specific positions.

And then acting as if any heathen who disagrees is just too poorly educated in the mysterious arts of NFL offensive line strategies to possibly have anything to contribute.

I mean it's almost designed not to be convincing.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^

My post was in response to what I felt was an arrogant and dismissive post. A NFL tendency was cited in response. A follow up post then cited a recent example from the newest offensive line coach via links to Solari quotes. To think that any of us outside of the VMAC are not without limitations to our understanding of lineman criteria and goals is at best naive and at worse arrogant. There is nothing wrong with exercising a little respect for those team professionals that work so hard to achieve success.

Looking forward to a great year of competition by our 2018 linemen and coaches and trainers and support staff.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":ss2dnep3 said:
^^^

Looking forward to a great year of competition by our 2018 linemen and coaches and trainers and support staff.

Snipped...

Wonder what your opinion is on whether they will keep the same mold as they have before and keep a few stars that appear in training camp as core personnel and run with draft picks for the rest? Do you believe that they will maintain that system or will the system breaking down as it has this season mean that they go with Draft contracts and then 2 to 3 year second contracts that lead to a cut? Do you think they will change their cap filosophy????

Filosophy spelled incorrectly to mess with gramma nazis. he hehe :irishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2hflampk said:
Jville":2hflampk said:
^^^

Snipped...

Wonder what your opinion is on whether they will keep the same mold as they have before and keep a few stars that appear in training camp as core personnel and run with draft picks for the rest? Do you believe that they will maintain that system or will the system breaking down as it has this season mean that they go with Draft contracts and then 2 to 3 year second contracts that lead to a cut? Do you think they will change their cap filosophy????

Filosophy spelled incorrectly to mess with gramma nazis. he hehe :irishdrinkers:

I expect to see differences between the lines of Solari and Cable. Every year is a fresh restart with a dozen plus candidates. Different draft class. Changes to the roster of returning veterans. JS and others put a lot of time and effort into preparing for free agency and draft. Each year is unique. I think they annually review everything and modify their approach to talent acquisition and retention in recognition of the supply and demand of the cap era. It's an annual process they cycle thru. I think continuity and retention of offensive linemen got away from them during the last couple of years. They are in the process of fixing that now.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":3rnedvew said:
Seahawkfan80":3rnedvew said:
Jville":3rnedvew said:
^^^

Snipped...

I expect to see differences between the lines of Solari and Cable. Every year is a fresh restart with a dozen plus candidates. Different draft class. Changes to the roster of returning veterans. JS and others put a lot of time and effort into preparing for free agency and draft. Each year is unique. I think they annually review everything and modify their approach to talent acquisition and retention in recognition of the supply and demand of the cap era. It's an annual process they cycle thru.

Thank you. Great post.

olyfan63

Reaction score
12forlife":tgf06cdw said:
Jville":tgf06cdw said:
^^^

Made me bust out laughing! I officially nominate this for .NET "Post of the Week".

Wait... .NET doesn't have an official "Post of the Week Award"... OK, so I'm officially starting this award, "Oly's Official .NET Post of the Week Award". 12forlife is the first winner. Criteria: making at least ONE .NET reader laugh hard enough to snort milk through his (or her) nostrils, while also making a great, almost-plausible-enough-to-take-seriously point, in a positive way. The prize... tell em Don Pardo... <Pardo>You get public recognition, , in the obscure, oft-overlooked, seldom-read posts of OlyFan63, for meritorious service to .NET. And... thats not all... You also get, the coveted OlyFan63 "No-Prize", in the tradition of Marvel Comics. And, no Rice-a-Roni, just San Francisco beat. </Pardo>

*Stan Lee's nephew was my older brother's best friend. At my house, No-Prizes were an institution.

P.S. PrYor does still own the NFL record for longest TD run by a QB, I believe 93 yards vs. Steelers a few years back.

Edit: corrected last name spelling. I don't know if he has any priors so I shouldn't assume and should just spell his damn name correctly.