DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't the ATV incident that ended his time with the Seahawks. My guess is that we'll start hearing about how he didn't take his recovery seriously, something that is corroborated by the police incident later on. This guy is an Aldon Smith-level moron who can't get out of his own way, and yes, that is something that was apparently evident during his interviews and was ignored.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
ducks41468":1sesihfd said:
I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't the ATV incident that ended his time with the Seahawks. My guess is that we'll start hearing about how he didn't take his recovery seriously, something that is corroborated by the police incident later on. This guy is an Aldon Smith-level moron who can't get out of his own way, and yes, that is something that was apparently evident during his interviews and was ignored.

If the NFL only drafted upstanding, law abiding citizens dedicated to leading good, healthy lives, it would be a very different league.

hawk45

Reaction score
The idea that character concerns in general must be narrowed down to a specific propensity for ATV accidents seems like a rhetorical tactic to me. If a guy is a "knucklehead" we can absolutely feel that an increased bust possibility exists. It wasn't just his motor being questioned at draft time, his interviews reportedly conveyed a sense of entitlement and were awful.

That said, I view Pete and JS as guys who have taken risks on players with *any* red flag, off or on the field. Marshawn had a DUI and wasn't starting for Buffalo, so he had both. Irvin had off-field red flags. Ditto Clark. I think ChrisXXXX listed most of the players that have been hits that had red flags of some sort or another.

So personally I don't view the McDowell miss as proof that Pete and JS are barking up the wrong tree. My ire is more for the fact that they passed on proven players at positions of need. In hindsight, it hurts more because it caused us to go get Sheldon and potentially even Brown given that we could have drafted an LT at that spot. But I won't say that is an indictment of Pete and John, but it is something that stings and is more likely to cause a fan to be frustrated.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawk45":1trk8rte said:
The idea that character concerns in general must be narrowed down to a specific propensity for ATV accidents seems like a rhetorical tactic to me. If a guy is a "knucklehead" we can absolutely feel that an increased bust possibility exists. It wasn't just his motor being questioned at draft time, his interviews reportedly conveyed a sense of entitlement and were awful.

That said, I view Pete and JS as guys who have taken risks on players with *any* red flag, off or on the field. Marshawn had a DUI and wasn't starting for Buffalo, so he had both. Irvin had off-field red flags. Ditto Clark. I think ChrisXXXX listed most of the players that have been hits that had red flags of some sort or another.

So personally I don't view the McDowell miss as proof that Pete and JS are barking up the wrong tree. My ire is more for the fact that they passed on proven players at positions of need. In hindsight, it hurts more because it caused us to go get Sheldon and potentially even Brown given that we could have drafted an LT at that spot. But I won't say that is an indictment of Pete and John, but it is something that stings and is more likely to cause a fan to be frustrated.

This is my entire point that I left unspoken - PCJS have taken or traded for players with 'red flags' to some portion of the fan base. Keep in mind that we each hold onto some criteria as a 'red flag' and that varies from person to person. At best its had mixed outcomes, both good and bad.

So why did Malik's red flags seemingly make him fated to have an ATV accident that we all should have seen coming whereas Marshawn's DUI didn't lead to him wrecking himself in a car accident nor has Frank Clark's prior domestic violence lead to him losing a season for inexplicably punching a GF in the face.

For those that profess to have some sort of heuristic or even a knack for calling these things, try and take time to explain it. What makes one 'red flag' lesser than others? Is there a combo that is obvious cancer? I'm willing to put more faith in a coin flip on players with character issues than hearing some guy go on about how right they were (and almost never wrong) yet not explain their method for determining it and then allowing us to test that method with future predictions on unknown quantities.

chris98251

Reaction score
Andre Hines, Malik McDowell, Owen Gill, Chris McIntosh, we have had our share of big busts.

olyfan63

Reaction score
lukerguy":2czqiq3v said:
<snip>
Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Difference: Clark's motor, passion for the game, commitment to the team, and work ethic were never in question.

Clark also could do an interview and come across as an intelligent person.
Maybe the rule should be "no more dumb as a rock draft picks".

McDowell's interviews make Bruce Irvin sound like a college professor. At least Irvin had work ethic and passion for the game. We got some good years out of Irvin.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RCATES":1dnio77o said:
Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.

So one pick will haunt us for 10 years ? You do realize that if a GM hits on 60% of his draft picks he'd be one of the best ever at drafting ? Dramatic much ?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":1wh2ttia said:
lukerguy":1wh2ttia said:
<snip>
Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Difference: Clark's motor, passion for the game, commitment to the team, and work ethic were never in question.

Clark also could do an interview and come across as an intelligent person.
Maybe the rule should be "no more dumb as a rock draft picks".

McDowell's interviews make Bruce Irvin sound like a college professor. At least Irvin had work ethic and passion for the game. We got some good years out of Irvin.

I'd say Clark's conduct and personal character "risk" was a far higher risk than McDowell's maturity and work ethic "risk."

It's easy to have a hind sight opinion after the fact, but let's be honest...............if this was Clark and not McDowell, Pete and John would have been crucified by the fans just as much, or even more with what Clark was accused of vs the reasons McDowell dropped.

Yes if you're perennially picking in the top 10 of the draft, you don't have to gamble on risk because there's a reason those players go top 10, they check all the boxes.

But when you're perennially choosing 25-32 and are trying to stockpile picks because you know that means the ability to trade up in later rounds and grab a Tyler Lockett? You HAVE to make calculated risks vs the upside talent of a player like McDowell.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/988525636732862465[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/988526361202507776[/tweet]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3bpz2jrd said:
RCATES":3bpz2jrd said:
Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.

So one pick will haunt us for 10 years ? You do realize that if a GM hits on 60% of his draft picks he'd be one of the best ever at drafting ? Dramatic much ?

Please don't feed the trolls.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Blitzer88":4mywpnhv said:
Hendo66":4mywpnhv said:
Wow. Really screwed the pooch on this one.

How did the team screw the pooch?

He was involved in an unfortunate accident that the team didn't have any control over.

They drafted a player with mental issues. It's been an issue here for years which is why they are restarting.

Burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, but also true.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":285qllj9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/988525636732862465[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/988526361202507776[/tweet]

Ignore obvious signs that will limit a player from being his best? Sound logic there.

It's only worked for Frank Clark 1/3? 1/4?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
When was the last time an employer said, "Screw it I am going to hire the worst interviewee and see how it works out."

I am going to guess never. There is a huge difference between red flags and indifference.

Budda Baker
Dalvin Cook
Sidney Jones
Alvin Kamara
Cooper Kupp

all taken after Mr. Indifference

Should I wear a helmet when riding an ATV? Answer: Meh

Should I go to a nightclub in the wee hours of the morning and get a disorderly conduct charge? Answer: Meh

Get some players with some drive and fire.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":6g6cym4k said:
When was the last time an employer said, "Screw it I am going to hire the worst interviewee and see how it works out."

I am going to guess never. There is a huge difference between red flags and indifference.

Budda Baker
Dalvin Cook
Sidney Jones
Alvin Kamara
Cooper Kupp

all taken after Mr. Indifference

Should I wear a helmet when riding an ATV? Answer: Meh

Should I go to a nightclub in the wee hours of the morning and get a disorderly conduct charge? Answer: Meh

Get some players with some drive and fire.

AyyCuh u no who eye b!?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3m6kgvr8 said:
Seymour":3m6kgvr8 said:
This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Good riddance to another loser IMO.

Up20yuhs

Yes cause his red flags also consisted of his propensity to ride atv's without a helmet.............

They did actually, ethical choices will pretty much tell you whether a person is going to make good decisions with their life or bad ones.

I've NEVER nor will I EVER understand drafting players with character issues, it's counter to the team mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.