MB on Pete Carroll

Fade

Reaction score
I think Pete is actually a genius on defense. The problem is he refuses to find a genius to run his offense and get out of that guy's way. He wants to be apart of that too and he wants his hand in everything. This is Pete's show which leads to it being a double edged sword unfortunately.

It hearkens back to when Holmgren was stripped of his GM powers. I would love to see Pete removed from the offensive side of the ball. He just focus' on the defense 100% and then have an offensive guru run the O. The D would be better for it, and the O would be better for it. Of course I know it won't happen though.

I think Pete is an excellent big picture guy, and defensive mastermind. I think his GM skills are suspect at this point, and I think he is in over his head on offense. He just had in the past a Lynch to make the running game out of nothing, and a Wilson to make something out of nothing time and time again, so no one noticed at first.

We will get to see for sure this season though what's up with Pete when it comes to offense with Cable & Bevell out of the way.

I've been waiting for what seems like an eternity to evaluate the offense without Cable/Bevell being apart of it. I can't wait to watch and see.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Progression to the mean would be a big step forward. An average running game would seem like huge success, average pass blocking would cause a huge improvement in RW’s potential efficiency. I’m not sure the O needs a guru just coaches that are average/competent that would be a huge improvement over Cable and Bevell. I rather think it:was more a matter of Pete leaving the O in the hands of the OC and Coach Cable that created the ugly result s of last season. Pete finally woke up and realized both his OC and OLine Coach/Running Game Coordinatoer were failing to meet any stated objectives. Accountability finally applied to them too.

Is it personnel or scheme? I have long been of the view the scheme was the culprit along with questionable coaching at the positional level for the O woes. Last season health certainly was not the team’s friend for the running game, by the coaching didn’t help.

I am waiting and with curiosity as well that see what the O will look like under new management. Hopefully there won’t be the very confused lines of authority that were a big part of Cable/Bevell offerings.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
rjas77":3k6zt57v said:
pittpnthrs":3k6zt57v said:
rjas77":3k6zt57v said:
With roughly eight minutes left in the 4th, the Offense had a 10 point lead. Truth is it was the D that lost SB 49

The entire secondary was playing with injuries that most other players wouldnt have dreamed of playing with and the defense was minus a premier pass rusher in Avril and they still gave the offense a 10 point cushion against the greatest coach and QB ever. Damn them for expecting our offense to put up a point or two along the way. The game was lost when our coaching staff called the worst play in football history,,,,,,,on offense.

People seem and act surprised that Bennett and Sherm are talking about Pete for some reason. They wont be the last ones. Theres more to come. The person who said that SB49 destroyed this team was right. Thats on Pete.

and yet...despite all you posted the O still had a 10 point lead with 8 minutes left. Let that sink in cuz if what you posted was what actually happened...the Patriots should have INCREASED their lead just before halftime instead of being tied.

Yeah.. it's a hyperbolic reaction to a team changing the faces on the field.

If... if Super Bowl 49 "destroyed" this team as some love to perpetuate... then that's on the players. Again, the Patriots have lost 3 Super Bowls, all in rather dramatic fashion, and all with the defense failing to protect late leads. And yet.. they press on. Why is that? Because players approach their jobs with the same maturity as they do intensity.

If.. if... players like Sherman and Bennett never "got over" the loss, and let it dictate their play and approach, then its fine they are gone. The only think Pete might be guilty of here is waiting too long to make these changes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, no reason for players to be dwelling on this crap way after the fact. It's sports, you lose, get over it and work HARDER to win another one. What benefit does it have to the team to hold grudges and act like 5 year olds after the fact?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":5jyka6cr said:
I think Pete is an excellent big picture guy, and defensive mastermind. I think his GM skills are suspect at this point

Carroll is one of the best talent evaluators in the game. The 2010-12 classes were so strong, in part, because Carroll knew the players since they were in high school and was exercising de facto GM responsibilities. When Carroll has made picks recently, they've almost all turned out well, i.e. Chris Carson with a late 7th round pick last year.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Most excited I've been for an offseason since the Pats SB loss. I think we'll get back to having players doing everything they can to improve and crack the starting roster instead of being in 'awe' of the starters. Everything indicates a chunk of the core stopped buying into Pete's message and were shown the door. Build around those who do - Russ, Wagner, Kam (I hope he coaches if he decides to retire), Doug, etc.

Training camp, especially in the secondary, should be very interesting. I'm also looking forward to the new OL coach improving the current linemen instead of seeing pro bowlers come in and actually decline.

toffee

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3033qdpq said:
rjas77":3033qdpq said:
pittpnthrs":3033qdpq said:
rjas77":3033qdpq said:
With roughly eight minutes left in the 4th, the Offense had a 10 point lead. Truth is it was the D that lost SB 49

The entire secondary was playing with injuries that most other players wouldnt have dreamed of playing with and the defense was minus a premier pass rusher in Avril and they still gave the offense a 10 point cushion against the greatest coach and QB ever. Damn them for expecting our offense to put up a point or two along the way. The game was lost when our coaching staff called the worst play in football history,,,,,,,on offense.

People seem and act surprised that Bennett and Sherm are talking about Pete for some reason. They wont be the last ones. Theres more to come. The person who said that SB49 destroyed this team was right. Thats on Pete.

and yet...despite all you posted the O still had a 10 point lead with 8 minutes left. Let that sink in cuz if what you posted was what actually happened...the Patriots should have INCREASED their lead just before halftime instead of being tied.

If... if Super Bowl 49 "destroyed" this team as some love to perpetuate... then that's on the players. Again, the Patriots have lost 3 Super Bowls, all in rather dramatic fashion, and all with the defense failing to protect late leads. And yet.. they press on. Why is that? Because players approach their jobs with the same maturity as they do intensity.

If.. if... players like Sherman and Bennett never "got over" the loss, and let it dictate their play and approach, then its fine they are gone. The only think Pete might be guilty of here is waiting too long to make these changes.

Pete waited one season too long, what he is doing now should happen last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1atv8v2e said:
Easy to say after the fact. Can't predict injuries.

Exactly, really easy to say afterwards. This time last year, heading into the season with that roster, it looked like the window was still open. Obviously they(PC/JS) did as well making those trades for Brown and Richardson, they were really going for it. A final push before a re-load.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The fluke injuries (likely career ending) to Kam and Avril were incredibly bad for this team and what they were forced to do later. Regardless what the people who clearly hate the Front Office think, you CAN'T predict what it going to happen. Those two injuries, along with Sherman having his first ever injury etc. NO front office can predict that kind of stuff. It was just a series of bad luck.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30ae0moz said:
rjas77":30ae0moz said:
pittpnthrs":30ae0moz said:
rjas77":30ae0moz said:

Players on the Patriots may, but it's because they are under different management. Not all players in the NFL think the same way case and point the Seahawks for the last 4 years. Your leaders or coaches help mold men into how they think, Seattle is one of those say whatever you feel types clubs which may work for a year or two but doesn't have long-term stability like the Patriots model.

If? It's pretty clear many of the players weren't over the SB loss years after the fact. This is separate from MB and Richard Sherman's inability to not always say what they think to the media.

I mean read my sig though, Pete handled it literally the best way he could. It's very clear he was done with the drama.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kglwzof said:
The fluke injuries (likely career ending) to Kam and Avril were incredibly bad for this team and what they were forced to do later. Regardless what the people who clearly hate the Front Office think, you CAN'T predict what it going to happen. Those two injuries, along with Sherman having his first ever injury etc. NO front office can predict that kind of stuff. It was just a series of bad luck.

You can't predict but you can "LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF PLAYERS" on your draft board.

I wish JS would do more press conferences, I have a feeling he would be more open to questions from the media.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":3acjsj3a said:
Pete waited one season too long, what he is doing now should happen last year.

You are ok with Bevell and Cable being here until this year or are you only talking about the reloading of players in which many had claimed the window was still open?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sure seems like this team was a lot more messy behind the scenes than some wanted to admit.

Funny how the truth comes out.

Don't think Pete can put this Humpty Dumpty back together again but I'd love for him to prove me wrong...

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":awv8w99b said:
Sure seems like this team was a lot more messy behind the scenes than some wanted to admit.

Funny how the truth comes out.

Don't think Pete can put this Humpty Dumpty back together again but I'd love for him to prove me wrong...

Well I know he can, and he's proven it once. That said, I don't believe the odds are good he will though (talking about within his 2 years left).

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":lmpbqycu said:
SoulfishHawk":lmpbqycu said:

You can't predict but you can "LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF PLAYERS" on your draft board.

I wish JS would do more press conferences, I have a feeling he would be more open to questions from the media.

Funny you brought that up. From the presser yesterday, Schneider said they are going to be more selective in their draft board. Very interesting.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... raft-board

Seahawks Head Into 2018 Draft With “Cleaned Up” Process, Fewer Names On Draft Board

“You’re constantly evaluating what you think you did well and what you need to improve on. I think one of the things we’ve done is really cleaned up. There’s aren’t as many names on our board. You have to have certain criteria to be on our board and we’re making less excuses for players, I would say.”

Now whether that means red flags as far as injury histories, or character concerns? Both?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":szax4i3d said:
Now whether that means red flags as far as injury histories, or character concerns? Both?

Could just mean we have less picks and more needs, so the board has less players on it because it'll be easier to just draft the best player available, as opposed to recent years of there being specific needs at a couple position groups.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":10ne66zh said:
NFSeahawks628":10ne66zh said:
SoulfishHawk":10ne66zh said:

Funny you brought that up. From the presser yesterday, Schneider said they are going to be more selective in their draft board. Very interesting.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... raft-board

Seahawks Head Into 2018 Draft With “Cleaned Up” Process, Fewer Names On Draft Board

“You’re constantly evaluating what you think you did well and what you need to improve on. I think one of the things we’ve done is really cleaned up. There’s aren’t as many names on our board. You have to have certain criteria to be on our board and we’re making less excuses for players, I would say.”

Maybe, just maybe it means he wont trade out of the first for an extra first rounder, whilst passing up elite talent.

John Schneider and Pete really need to hit this draft out of the park if they want to have any prospects of keeping their jobs in the future. They have used up much of their goodwill earned from 2 Super Bowl appearances with dubious trades, poor cap management, and piss poor drafting.

The "making excuses for players" part is a disturbing piece of information, and it really plays into the problems I have with Pete Carroll's tenure here. He always has to go for the knock out punch. This has manifested itself in his offensive philosophy, and his player acquisitions over the last few years. I'd say it worked out well for him well when he first entered the league because he had scouted, and was on friendly terms with many of the prospects he drafted. He had insider information that most of the NFL didn't have. He stood in these players homes while they were deciding which college to attend, and in some cases kept tabs on them from high school to college, all the way up to the NFL. He does not have this kind of luxury anymore, and we are seeing this manifest in our poor drafts.

For every Flank Clark that we have drafted we have ended up with a Christine Micheal, and Malik McDowell. Bruce Irvin was able to straighten up, but his impact as a player was league average, and spotty.

I want them to stop swinging blindly, and start hedging their bets. Picking up these athletic freaks, and trouble players (injury or personality) is okay, so long as you also pick solid players that have a good chance at contributing in conjunction with these high risk, high reward players.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1y36ipk9 said:
I want them to stop swinging blindly, and start hedging their bets. Picking up these athletic freaks, and trouble players (injury or personality) is okay, so long as you also pick solid players that have a good chance at contributing in conjunction with these high risk, high reward players.

You cannot honestly believe they're "swinging blindly". They know far more than you do.

Nobody, even those with the most information, can accurately predict who will and who will not succeed. The number of UDFAs who end up making it big, and top-ranked picks that fail, are proof of that.

We'd all love every pick to become a pro-bowler. It will never happen, and the sooner expectations become realistic, the sooner hyperbole around here ends.

Pete and John are not on their last legs with this draft, no matter how you try to spin it. Hoping it will be the case will not make it so, either.