Biggest Weakness

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Post the major Free Agency Period and with the draft fast approaching what do you fell is still our biggest weakness going into the season.

1. Running Game
2. Pass Rush
3. Cornerback

adeltaY

Reaction score
Based off last season, running game was our biggest weakness IMO, but pass rush is our most detrimental weakness. I think if Carson and Davis can stay healthy and above all, the OL majorly improves, the run game should be good enough.

Now we've lost Cliff, Mike B, and Sheldon, our decent pass rush from last season is gutted, which is very troublesome.

kf3339

Reaction score
Our defense the last three years has been run down by the offense's inability to consistently run the ball and control the clock. If we don't fix that aspect for good it doesn't matter what type of defense we build. The same thing will happen.

It's time to fix the running game no matter what.

AgentDib

Reaction score
IMO there's plenty of reason to be (more) optimistic about our running game with the guys we have right now. Last year was the perfect storm of bad performance, injuries, and a lack of experience and chemistry.

Duane Brown is currently healthy. That may not last, but I'd hope that everybody could agree we're currently much better off with healthy players that could get hurt in the future, then we were last season with Brown hobbling around with a high ankle sprain.

Pocic was a liability but has bulked up with a professional training staff and should be at least slightly better. Roos is also a better run blocker than a pass protector and may be competing at LG.

Britt should probably stay the same unless you think Solari will be a positive influence. It's also possible that better guard play will help him out.

Fluker is questionable in pass protection to put it mildly but he is a mauler in the run game.

Ifedi is entering his third season which just happens to be the year that fans stopped hating James Carpenter and Justin Britt, albeit they had position changes.

George Fant being healthy again is great, and he adds insurance in case we do have injury issues crop up.

Chris Carson looked pretty great until he got hurt. If you consider that he was averaging >4 YPC on a team that would later look completely inept at running the football there is plenty of reason to be excited about him getting another shot at it.

Finally, CJ Prosise is due to be be healthy for... hmm maybe nevermind on that one.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":195wjijw said:
IMO there's plenty of reason to be (more) optimistic about our running game with the guys we have right now. Last year was the perfect storm of bad performance, injuries, and a lack of experience and chemistry.

Duane Brown is currently healthy. That may not last, but I'd hope that everybody could agree we're currently much better off with healthy players that could get hurt in the future, then we were last season with Brown hobbling around with a high ankle sprain.

Pocic was a liability but has bulked up with a professional training staff and should be at least slightly better. Roos is also a better run blocker than a pass protector and may be competing at LG.

Britt should probably stay the same unless you think Solari will be a positive influence. It's also possible that better guard play will help him out.

Fluker is questionable in pass protection to put it mildly but he is a mauler in the run game.

Ifedi is entering his third season which just happens to be the year that fans stopped hating James Carpenter and Justin Britt, albeit they had position changes.

George Fant being healthy again is great, and he adds insurance in case we do have injury issues crop up.

Chris Carson looked pretty great until he got hurt. If you consider that he was averaging >4 YPC on a team that would later look completely inept at running the football there is plenty of reason to be excited about him getting another shot at it.

Finally, CJ Prosise is due to be be healthy for... hmm maybe nevermind on that one.
He is the wildcard of this season..A student of Big Walt..I hope this turns out really well.

seabowl

Reaction score
We got rid of our biggest weakness in Cabevell

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Well, at present, there is only one starter-caliber boundary CB on the roster because they have not re-signed Byron Maxwell. So that's the biggest hole at the moment.

There is also very little depth at DE. And zero depth behind the starting LBs.

Offensive line remains the weakest overall position group.

The receiving options could be stronger.

And then there is RB.

Yup, lots of weaknesses entering this draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. O-line
2. D-line

IMO it's much easier to find later round quality RB's, DB's, WR's and LB's than it is to find studs on the O and D-lines.

So I have no problem trading down a couple times, getting our 2nd and 3rd back, then drafting the best O or D-lineman we can get in the late 1st or early 2nd.

chris98251

Reaction score
Right now it's the locker room and continuity, everything before is in the past with different staff for the most part. They have to rebuild trust and find team leadership again, someone will surface I am sure, but all in and all for one purpose has to be brought back.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ii7lycu said:
1. O-line
2. D-line

IMO it's much easier to find later round quality RB's, DB's, WR's and LB's than it is to find studs on the O and D-lines.

So I have no problem trading down a couple times, getting our 2nd and 3rd back, then drafting the best O or D-lineman we can get in the late 1st or early 2nd.

It's Schneider, you know he's going to trade down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2z8cvc8r said:
Right now it's the locker room and continuity, everything before is in the past with different staff for the most part. They have to rebuild trust and find team leadership again, someone will surface I am sure, but all in and all for one purpose has to be brought back.

There are still strong leaders on both sides of the ball. Russell, Doug, Tyler, Duane Brown, Clark, Bobby, and probably Earl..........and some newly signed FA vets that could step in.

I'm not worried about leadership, I'm worried about talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32zippug said:
chris98251":32zippug said:

There are still strong leaders on both sides of the ball. Russell, Doug, Tyler, Duane Brown, Clark, Bobby, and probably Earl..........and some newly signed FA vets that could step in.

Wilson isn't that kind of leader, he's a Rah Rah guy, Doug is the fiery guy on offense and I think Brown is going to be the voice of reason guy. Lockett no, Frank, Bobby ok, Bobby is a quiet leader though not the get on your ass type, Frank is not a every down guy, Earl is getting tickets to Dallas. I think Coleman is going to be the pump up guy or McDougald actually.

Problem with Russell isn't his work ethic, but his one of the guys distance, he has always appeared a bit separate. Hard to explain but see a few articles about that feeling concerning the team, they respect the hell out of him and believe in him, but he seems a bit aloof as well.

adeltaY

Reaction score
kf3339":1rp4zsrl said:
Our defense the last three years has been run down by the offense's inability to consistently run the ball and control the clock. If we don't fix that aspect for good it doesn't matter what type of defense we build. The same thing will happen.

It's time to fix the running game no matter what.

Yes, but the defense has to be better on third down, especially third and long, where they were absolutely horrible last year. Without a pass-rush (and lack of DBs) you give top QBs too much time to convert 3rd and 15s, which they will do on us repeatedly if we can't put pressure on them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2ev7ycj2 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ev7ycj2 said:
chris98251":2ev7ycj2 said:

Wilson isn't that kind of leader, he's a Rah Rah guy, Doug is the fiery guy on offense and I think Brown is going to be the voice of reason guy. Lockett no, Frank, Bobby ok, Bobby is a quiet leader though not the get on your ass type, Frank is not a every down guy, Earl is getting tickets to Dallas. I think Coleman is going to be the pump up guy or McDougald actually.

Problem with Russell isn't his work ethic, but his one of the guys distance, he has always appeared a bit separate. Hard to explain but see a few articles about that feeling concerning the team, they respect the hell out of him and believe in him, but he seems a bit aloof as well.

Russell is to his teammates as he is to fans, too careful, a little image conscious.......................... and corny. So yes, he's not a great locker room leader. But he is a great field leader.

IMO on a team led by Pete, his staff and the current group of vets, I'm not worried about leaders. Unless you have a weak coach and staff, leadership works itself out.

So no, I don't consider it a weakness. In fact, I think this team is better off with so-called leaders like Sherman and Bennett gone. Because leaders can also take the team in a negative direction.

RCATES

Reaction score
1. Running game
2. Pass rush
3. QB not showing up until the 4th quarter
4. Right Tackle

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2prd7y99 said:
chris98251":2prd7y99 said:
Sgt. Largent":2prd7y99 said:
chris98251":2prd7y99 said:

Russell is to his teammates as he is to fans, too careful, a little image conscious.......................... and corny. So yes, he's not a great locker room leader. But he is a great field leader.

IMO on a team led by Pete, his staff and the current group of vets, I'm not worried about leaders. Unless you have a weak coach and staff, leadership works itself out.

So no, I don't consider it a weakness. In fact, I think this team is better off with so-called leaders like Sherman and Bennett gone. Because leaders can also take the team in a negative direction.

Their type of leadership was fine until the play, that's when their vocal aspect began hurting things because of accountability of staff members. Thin line and a knife edge that is straddled with their type, when they slip up it usually means someone is getting cut. :p

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Penny helps address the Run Game. I still think a RB int he 5th to compete with McKissic and Davis would be a good idea. And Maybe we can trade Prosise for a 6th or 7th.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Day 1 = Run Game w/Perry
Day 2 = Pass Rush w/Green
Pass defense with Maxwell

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk