Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Looks like Dallas isn't getting the deal that they want to get into the top 10 so the ET trade is back on the table, reportedly for pick 50.

Crossing my fingers that it happens and Reid is there at 50.

Unless they trade down to 24 and pick up Bryant and another pick earlier than 50 and pick Reid....

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I saw something earlier that it looked like the potential deal was for a 2nd round pick. That's a bummer. I'd like to see a bit more than just a second. Even if it means another pick next year. Maybe a 2 this year and a 3 next year, something like that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":2zpkvuj9 said:
I saw something earlier that it looked like the potential deal was for a 2nd round pick. That's a bummer. I'd like to see a bit more than just a second. Even if it means another pick next year. Maybe a 2 this year and a 3 next year, something like that.

Especially sucky if it's Dallas's 2nd, too late for me.

I could stomach a top 5 2nd rounder and a 2nd or 3rd next year. But #19 in the 2nd with Dallas? That'd be a bummer for Earl.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
On Thursday, hours before the 2018 NFL Draft, ESPN.com's Dan Graziano reports that the Cowboys aren't done making a push for Thomas, but added, "Two sources said the trade discussions between Seattle and Dallas have centered around the Cowboys' second-round pick (No. 50 overall) but that no deal will be done until the Cowboys figure out whether they can sign Thomas long term."

Thomas is set to make $8.5 million in 2018 but the Cowboys aren't trading a second-round pick for what would amount to a one-year deal; if there is a trade, it will almost certainly include Thomas getting a new contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... homas/amp/

chris98251

Reaction score
Schneider has been taken to the cleaners on a lot of trades, we seem to tip our hand a lot concerning the want them out for some reason, now were in a position of damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Earl will eat cap space, he is a great player but his heart won't be in it like it has been, not sure if we will see more incidence of media situations either.

If we take just the late second we will have been fleeced for his talent, there should be a few more like a 4th and a 5th I would think minimum.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/989600221859528704[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/989564970324119553[/tweet]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2o8fs89i said:
On Thursday, hours before the 2018 NFL Draft, ESPN.com's Dan Graziano reports that the Cowboys aren't done making a push for Thomas, but added, "Two sources said the trade discussions between Seattle and Dallas have centered around the Cowboys' second-round pick (No. 50 overall) but that no deal will be done until the Cowboys figure out whether they can sign Thomas long term."

Thomas is set to make $8.5 million in 2018 but the Cowboys aren't trading a second-round pick for what would amount to a one-year deal; if there is a trade, it will almost certainly include Thomas getting a new contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... homas/amp/
:0190l:

James in PA

Reaction score
Can Schneider NOT get the short end of the stick for once in a trade? Bad enough we’re not getting a first for Earl. Better not settle for just a 2nd. Better be a 3rd thrown in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":1xt8mtn0 said:
Can Schneider NOT get the short end of the stick for once in a trade? Bad enough we’re not getting a first for Earl. Better not settle for just a 2nd. Better be a 3rd thrown in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schneider gets screwed because for all the great things he and Pete do, they've held onto their vets 1-2 seasons too long.........so they have no leverage.

You wanna stop getting screwed in trades? Stop being desperate with your personnel needs.

I also think we're a little too fast and loose with our draft picks because Pete and John think they still can make the magic happen at the bottom of the draft.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Earl is 28 with 1 year left at 10MM (well under market value for a top 5 FS). They didn't wait too long to trade Earl. They did wait a year too long to trade Sherm (in hindsight), but not Earl. FS's can play well into their early 30s at an elite level.

Earl isn't going anywhere for a 2nd.. This isn't even that strong of a draft class- there is a really good chance a mid to late 2nd totally busts.

RCATES

Reaction score
lukerguy":3rfgd7oi said:
Earl is 28 with 1 year left at 10MM (well under market value for a top 5 FS). They didn't wait too long to trade Earl. They did wait a year too long to trade Sherm (in hindsight), but not Earl. FS's can play well into their early 30s at an elite level.

Earl isn't going anywhere for a 2nd.. This isn't even that strong of a draft class- there is a really good chance a mid to late 2nd totally busts.

With how historically bad JS is at trades a 2nd rounder for Thomas wouldn't shock me at all. If he does trade Thomas for anything less then a 1st that will be the final nail in the coffin for JS tenure here in Seattle. The guy has done jack shit the last 3 drafts and the pressure is on.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RCATES":35ojvmjl said:
lukerguy":35ojvmjl said:

With how historically bad JS is at trades a 2nd rounder for Thomas wouldn't shock me at all. If he does trade Thomas for anything less then a 1st that will be the final nail in the coffin for JS tenure here in Seattle. The guy has done jack shit the last 3 drafts and the pressure is on.
I'm leaning towards JS bye bye because he does suck at trades..

vin.couve12

Reaction score
BS. A 2nd rounder is decent value for a 29 year old safety (season start) that wants a big contract and has also lessened his own value threatening to hold out (later saved face last week) and then propositioned himself to another team while under contract.

A 2nd rounder is actually the best case. Giving up a 1st for Earl is the equivalent of getting fired on your day off.

lukerguy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1g94t4w7 said:
BS. A 2nd rounder is decent value for a 29 year old safety (season start) that wants a big contract and has also lessened his own value threatening to hold out (later saved face last week) and then propositioned himself to another team while under contract.

A 2nd rounder is actually the best case. Giving up a 1st for Earl is the equivalent of getting fired on your day off.

No it's not. 28 year old pro-bowl safety.

We got a 32 year old LT for a 2nd. Those 4 years are worth quite a lot.

Deion branch was obtained for a 1st round pick at one year younger than Earl.

You guys are so quick to forget how good Earl is. If JS trades him for a 2nd I will be shocked by what I thought i knew of JS.

2_0_6

Reaction score
lukerguy":2jft2ged said:
vin.couve12":2jft2ged said:

You guys are so quick to forget how good Earl is. If JS trades him for a 2nd I will be shocked by what I thought i knew of JS.

That 32 year old LT was signed for that current year plus this year.
Deion Branch was a dumb trade no matter how you dice it.

Earl is a UFA next season and will likely walk FOR NOTHING and I think they know that. Get something while you can, unless you want to relive the Sherman situation all over again a year from now.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
lukerguy":2dm5zqg6 said:
vin.couve12":2dm5zqg6 said:

It's not apples to apples situationally. Brown was a mid season move of desperation. We did give up too much there. A reference to Branch however many years ago also means nothing.

The other thing is that I have always maintained that Earl is overrated since the beginning. I am forgetting nothing. Earl is predominantly a cover 3 safety who, in reality, plays "single high" about 25% of the time at the very most. He's made a couple of plays in pass coverage on the deep sideline by himself in his entire career. All others, Sherm tipped to him. He leaves his feet to tackle, etc, etc. The biggest lie though, is the "single high" nonsense. He still plays cover 3 most of the time and has no responsibility to the sideline. He's got deep middle and has to worry about TEs and such being handed off on tje short zones, wr post routes etc.

I know these defenses and there is a ton of nonsense from media and elsewhere. Earl is very good, but not head and shoulders above others and certainly no HOFer.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Brown may have had 2 years left, but Earl can be tagged for 2 more years plus receive around 2nd compensation and still be a very good value to the Seahawks. I'm amazed by the emotional responses on here. If Earl WANTS to leave, that's one thing, then you have to trade him, but there's nothing wrong with 3 more years of Earl plus compensation (2/3rd range). FS's don't make that much for their position so it's a great position to tag.

If the Seahawks ONLY get a mid to late 2nd and nothing else, i'll come back on here and admit that I'm wrong, but I think the least they get is an early 2nd, and probably trade down to make it a mid 2nd and 3rd.

If you were the Cleveland Browns, are you telling me with all that cap space you wouldn't jump at the chance to get Thomas for an early 2nd?! Extend him into his early 30s... you've got a mid aged pro bowler with all of the leadership and experience. No brainer.

ducks41468

Reaction score
The problem is over the last few years we've made all of our trades in desperation, and as a result give up too much and get too little. Pete runs a loose ship and our locker room drama and player tiffs are well-known to the whole league, so when it comes time to make moves every other GM knows we're in a tight spot.

With Earl I think the move is to either trade him for multiple picks in rounds 1-3, or tag him multiple times and then just get the comp pick at the end. If he calls the bluff and holds out then you worry about trading him. Hell, the Texans were in a worse spot with Brown and we still gave up an arm and a leg to get him even when they had no leverage, so there's no reason why we can't fleece a GM that's equally as incompetent as JS. The solitary late 2nd rounder will always be on the table, that's the floor offer.