Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air (Greg Bell)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Another thing I would LOVE to see this team do more of is the screen passes. So many teams make that a huge part of their offense. Change it up a little, let a RB get out there in space and do his thing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
sdog1981":1q2etspc said:
sc85sis":1q2etspc said:
Pete is also the one who had run option plays added to the Hawks’ after Russell was drafted.

Yes he’s a defensive guy. That doesn’t mean he’s some incompetent idiot where offense is concerned.

You are going to need to provide some serious linkage to prove any of that. Because if he was that much of an offensive guru he would have cleaned house after the 2016 season.

https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/seahaw ... ad-option/

https://nflspinzone.com/2012/11/08/pete ... -redskins/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2g17190a said:
Another thing I would LOVE to see this team do more of is the screen passes. So many teams make that a huge part of their offense. Change it up a little, let a RB get out there in space and do his thing.
Screen passes to the RB is space, YES, please and often.

Bubble screens to WR in traffic, NEVER again!

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Reflecting on the reality of limited practice time as mandated by the CBA ......

The explanation I recall, from last year, was that it takes less practice time to develop bubble screens. Screen plays by linemen take a lot more time to perfect and require a reasonable continuity of personnel. The CBA (collective bargaining agreement) places strict limits on practice time. So if time is going to be carved out to practice screen plays along the lines of what .... say the Packers like to do, something else has to give. Given that Pete Carroll has set aside significant practice time for Russell Wilson directed improvisation and scramble drills, that could potentially be a feature of the offense that might suffer a bit while creating room for linemen to practice screens.

Just an observation. Food for thought and speculation while we await our first glimpse of Schottenheimer's impact on the 2018 offense.

Seymour

Reaction score
There is truth to screen passes taking time to perfect. I heard Holmgren on that 2 years ago saying the exact same thing. Teams have to commit more time than many are willing to give and that is why lazy coaches like Bevell never used it much. Even though when he did it often poped for good yardage. :roll:

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":ow9qvsvo said:
hawknation2018":ow9qvsvo said:
The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."

This X1000.

Let's get that nasty reputation back. I don't care what anyone says, even professional football players will be scared to play the bullies.

May work with some teams but we aint hittin' that Rams Dline in the mouth....sorry.

Russell can piss them off if he has some time though! :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":37fr0b3s said:
Reflecting on the reality of limited practice time as mandated by the CBA ......

The explanation I recall, from last year, was that it takes less practice time to develop bubble screens. Screen plays by linemen take a lot more time to perfect and require a reasonable continuity of personnel. The CBA (collective bargaining agreement) places strict limits on practice time. So if time is going to be carved out to practice screen plays along the lines of what .... say the Packers like to do, something else has to give. Given that Pete Carroll has set aside significant practice time for Russell Wilson directed improvisation and scramble drills, that could potentially be a feature of the offense that might suffer a bit while creating room for linemen to practice screens.

Just an observation. Food for thought and speculation while we await our first glimpse of Schottenheimer's impact on the 2018 offense.

Well having OTA's, and a whole summer is plenty of time to sync up screen plays, colleges do it, high school teams do it, you have to practice them, continuity also matter so timing works with your lineman. There is the big part of the issue, a guy playing LT one year and Guard the next and RT the next there is no continuity, timing is important, and you need to be able to time your release and all.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Chris Cluff
‏@CHawk_Talk

#Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett says new coaches did a good job "giving us the playbook in a specific order" that helped players understand the system quickly. "I think we were farther along than we probably thought we would be in learning the new playbook.”

8:38 PM - 21 May 2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“It’s definitely some added stuff for sure, there’s definitely more on the plate,” Wilson said. “We’ve always had a lot of information, but it’s even more. But that’s OK. I’m ready for more and more and just continue to see how far we can take it. I think we’re going to have a great offense, I really do.”

“Schotty is a really impressive coach,” Carroll said. “He’s very hands-on, he’s very active, he’s in total command whether it’s installing the offense or he’s coaching the quarterback. He is very active, very energetic, so there is no space between something happening and Russell getting critiqued, and Russell has really responded to it. I think he enjoys the challenge of it. Schotty is challenging him to keep moving and keep growing as a quarterback. You look at all the years that he’s been playing, but still there’s always been more growth. There’s always more to learn and understand, and Schotty has really kind of opened the door to that for Russell. Hopefully we’re going to see the best version that he can put out there this time around because he’s been challenged even more than ever. It’s an exciting relationship that we’re watching unfold.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/transitio ... r-seahawks

"Schotty" is a horrible nickname, though. Why does our OC need a cutesy nickname? Can't you just call him Brian? JMO.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1dxce3yl said:
“It’s definitely some added stuff for sure, there’s definitely more on the plate,” Wilson said. “We’ve always had a lot of information, but it’s even more. But that’s OK. I’m ready for more and more and just continue to see how far we can take it. I think we’re going to have a great offense, I really do.”

“Schotty is a really impressive coach,” Carroll said. “He’s very hands-on, he’s very active, he’s in total command whether it’s installing the offense or he’s coaching the quarterback. He is very active, very energetic, so there is no space between something happening and Russell getting critiqued, and Russell has really responded to it. I think he enjoys the challenge of it. Schotty is challenging him to keep moving and keep growing as a quarterback. You look at all the years that he’s been playing, but still there’s always been more growth. There’s always more to learn and understand, and Schotty has really kind of opened the door to that for Russell. Hopefully we’re going to see the best version that he can put out there this time around because he’s been challenged even more than ever. It’s an exciting relationship that we’re watching unfold.”

"Schotty" is a horrible nickname, though. Can't you just call him Brian? JMO.

I think it's a great Nickname for an OC. Shotty is a common term for shotgun.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":bs7lae8l said:
hawknation2018":bs7lae8l said:

Never heard of that before. Who calls their shotgun Shotty? LOL. I guess it beats "Bev," which sounded like a character from The Golden Girls.

Again, why does our OC need a cutesy nickname?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2018":12puxarv said:
Sox-n-Hawks":12puxarv said:
hawknation2018":12puxarv said:

Never heard of that before. Who calls their shotgun Shotty? LOL. I guess it beats "Bev," which sounded like a character from The Golden Girls.

Again, why does our OC need a cutesy nickname?

Good point. I always called all of my coaches the same thing. Coach.

chris98251

Reaction score
Russell called him Schotty in his press conference also, nobody wants to get beat up here for misspelling or taking the time to spell out Brian Schottenheimer.

Jesus the spelling police here alone for misspelling Hasselbeck still go off when he is mentioned, and we still have people that spell Penny like JC Penney's.

sdog1981

Reaction score

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":3kpajyu8 said:
The_Z_Man":3kpajyu8 said:
The younger players on the team are probably laughing their asses off whenever someone calls him that, because it translates to "fine ass young woman" in urban slang...

Oh god. I'm dying over here. Just stop please just stop.

They are not the same word and they don't sound the same. One letter off.

Shortie
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shortie

Shottie
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shottie

BUT Shawty does.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shawty

chris98251

Reaction score
I guess it's a good thing his last name isn't Milfred then isn't it...………………. :p