DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2sqvze1w said:
Accountability for players. None for FO.
Compete all the time for players ... NONE for FO and coaching staff.

I want to be optimistic, but I just don't see how this team wins 8 games next season.
CalgaryHawk":2sqvze1w said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse:
2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore
In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).
This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.

This is so weird to me. The stance that well be lucky win 8 games. Even st out lowest point we still managed to go 7-9..we were literally 1 kick away from a 10 win season.. (You could argue we the Redskins game as well)
We are in a much better place then we were in 2010,2011. Much more talent on both sides of the ball.
Imo, we should still expect double digit wins.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ji9xexm said:
It’s time to either take a shit or get off the pot for the Seahawks where McDowell is concerned.

Fact: He's been a Seahawk for over a year now and still hasn't played a meaningful down.
Fact: He's collecting unearned money from the Seahawk organization.
Fact: He has not been an active participant with the Seahawks, during this past season or with their offseason activities.

Opinion: I don't believe he has the desire to play football. He has been away from the team and any football activities. He doesn't show any eagerness to get back. He was hardly around last season. Most players would participate as much as they could or be around the team even if they couldn't contribute physically. He hasn't done that. If the team has told him to stay away, there's a reason for that. They don't believe he will be back or he'd be a big distraction. There are others who have stepped up and moved ahead of him. He would have a hard time making the 53 man roster at this point.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
1) So what? He also doesn't count against the total roster, ASFAIK.
2) He isn't costing any money he hasn't already been guaranteed, and he'll get that regardless.
3) Maybe he's still too injured, or whatever. This is no reason to not keep him locked in for no additional charge and without any additional commitments. He might get better and turn into a contributor, you personally have no true idea of whether this will happen or not. Neither do I, or anyone else not inside the Seahawks. :roll:

Overall, this opinion of "It's time to poo or get off the pot!" is fairly asinine.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1hwnrvb0 said:
1) So what? He also doesn't count against the total roster, ASFAIK.
2) He isn't costing any money he hasn't already been guaranteed, and he'll get that regardless.
3) Maybe he's still too injured, or whatever. This is no reason to not keep him locked in for no additional charge and without any additional commitments. He might get better and turn into a contributor, you personally have no true idea of whether this will happen or not. Neither do I, or anyone else not inside the Seahawks. :roll:

Overall, this opinion of "It's time to poo or get off the pot!" is fairly asinine.

I understand that the Seahawks don’t have to do anything. He’s not near the team anyway but I’d rather they part ways with him completely. Most teams would have dropped a player who has not shown he is motivated to play football or hasn’t shown he wants to be a part of the organization by now. By parting ways with him, it may allow another team to medically clear him thus taking his salary cost away from the Seahawks.

The situation is not the same as Dion Jordan at all. Dion has shown he’s determined to play football. When Dion couldn’t physically play, he still was around the team and participated in team activities.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The fact that the Seahawks have not released McDowell shows that they think there is still a chance, however small, that he could contribute in the future. It's crazy to me that fans and bloggers are gung-ho to speculate on what they should be doing with so little information at their disposable.

mikeak

Reaction score
AgentDib":222cr33k said:
The fact that the Seahawks have not released McDowell shows that they think there is still a chance, however small, that he could contribute in the future. It's crazy to me that fans and bloggers are gung-ho to speculate on what they should be doing with so little information at their disposable.

So you are saying there is a chance!!!!!!

Yeah of course there is a chance. The real reasons they haven’t released him is because there is ZERO upside to releasing him and probably a downside related to the cap.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
AgentDib":3blvv2jn said:
Well, the information we do know is pretty damning. He has not played for a full season, and got into an altercation with the police. Schneider, and Pete also implied that they changed their draft strategy based on the McDowell debacle. I don't think they're going to outright cut him yet, but I do think his chances for success on the Seahawks, and the league is extremely limited at this point.

chris98251

Reaction score
Part of why he is still part of the organization takes me back to the Mike Frier situation, Mike had a past also and some of the same criticism, that tragic night however robbed him of his legs, yet the Seahawks did not abandon him nor did Lamar Smith for that matter. They stuck by him while he made it thru the initial aspects and helped him get his life on track. This could be a lot of the same things happening, life is more then the game itself and the Seahawks have a history of sticking by guys in tragic times.

metwelve

Reaction score
Extremely good aspect that had not been touched on and what I choose to believe.
Makes me proud to be a 12. GO HAWKS!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3tqk14gu said:
AgentDib":3tqk14gu said:
Well, the information we do know is pretty damning. He has not played for a full season, and got into an altercation with the police. Schneider, and Pete also implied that they changed their draft strategy based on the McDowell debacle. I don't think they're going to outright cut him yet, but I do think his chances for success on the Seahawks, and the league is extremely limited at this point.
I'll go with this post..
I will add that Malik did the team a big favor in a way,,
Changing the draft process because of him allowed us to draft better
players,ones that may have a better chance of making the team instead
of being weeded out with some issue besides just playing.
I hope Malik changes and becomes this great comeback story but
yeah I'm not hoping too much..Don't care as we got what we got

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
If you resurrected his draft day thread you would see that most thought this was a bad pick long before his accident. Schneider has a history of trying to hit home runs and striking out instead of taking the more obvious picks. Maybe he has the right to be arrogant and think he knows better than anyone else but it is coming back to bite us.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This sounds like post hoc reasoning again.

Schneider would be a genius if Mc Dowell had played with promise last season and they kept their draft picks. Now he’s a risk taking buffoon who needs to make safer picks. I thought he had a great draft this year even with few early picks.

The ATV accident was an accident, we all know Diddly squat about what happened save McDowell smashed his coconut hard enough to be out for a season or forever. Does this make Schneider a bozo? Not to me. Was the team unlucky, damn right, and so is McDowell.

In the fullness of time we may learn just what happened until then we all will hold our own views about the pick. It’s time say to hate it apply post hoc reasoning to the issue when the player if not hurt might just have shown promise as a rookie.who knows for sure.

Meanwhile Mc Dowell stays in limbo with his rookie contract tolling while potentially exposed to having to pay back a prorated portion of his signing bonus. Clearly the situation sucks for all involved.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
jammerhawk":16203127 said:
This sounds like post hoc reasoning again.

Schneider would be a genius if Mc Dowell had played with promise last season and they kept their draft picks. Now he’s a risk taking buffoon who needs to make safer picks. I thought he had a great draft this year even with few early picks.

The ATV accident was an accident, we all know Diddly squat about what happened save McDowell smashed his coconut hard enough to be out for a season or forever. Does this make Schneider a bozo? Not to me. Was the team unlucky, damn right, and so is McDowell.

In the fullness of time we may learn just what happened until then we all will hold our own views about the pick. It’s time say to hate it apply post hoc reasoning to the issue when the player if not hurt might just have shown promise as a rookie.who knows for sure.

Meanwhile Mc Dowell stays in limbo with his rookie contract tolling while potentially exposed to having to pay back a prorated portion of his signing bonus. Clearly the situation sucks for all involved.
Again, a lot of people including myself didn't like this pick when it was made. Other posters had issues with Schneiders drafts post 2012. The thing that sucked was the players that Schneider passed up on to take this McDowell. It is a trend that has been ongoing since 2012, not just an isolated experience.

What makes Schneider and Carroll bozo's as of late is their own penchant for outsmarting themselves. Trading down to get late round picks that inevitably work their way off the roster. Then we have the other extreme; Trading first round picks away for players that either don't fit the scheme, and mission (Graham), or a player that is a well-documented head case, and injury magnet (Harvin).

That is what is frustrating about McDowell. He had the same warning signs that Harvin did. He didn't take practices seriously, and slacked off, took plays off, showed up at the biggest job interviews of his life thoroughly unprepared, like he didn't care. Great talent, but what miffs me is we have been burned by this type of profile several times yet we continue to take these guys with high picks (Harvin, Micheal). While that ATV accident is terrible here is the thing about accidents like the ATV incident. Knuckle heads like McDowell tend to attract more of these incidents, and "accidents" than those that actually give a (four letter word for bowel movement).

truehawksfan

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557970

Overview
As a top-50 high school recruit out of Detroit, McDowell could have gone anywhere.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Slippery and long. Combination of arm length and flexible torso allow him to slither into gaps and create disruptions for blockers. Freaky combination of size and athleticism. Can overwhelm blockers with pure strength and explosiveness when his feet are right. Strong enough in lower half to play through contact and cause stress in the pocket. Has tremendous amount of untapped potential waiting to be unlocked. Quick, strong hands in pass rush. Able to attack the edge with club-and-swim pet move. Can crank up a pocket-caving bull rush. Can redirect his weight and maintain pursuit of scrambling mobile quarterbacks. Long frame and play speed can close out perimeter runs and foil them before corner is turned. Elite playmaking radius. Explosive lateral movement and quickness. Can bound from one gap to the next in Sparty's slanting defensive front. Will be extremely difficult to cross face as he learns the position. Has experience up and down the defensive line.

WEAKNESSES Footwork and technique are a mess. Plays with inconsistent base width and overall balance. Struggles to keep feet clean and ends up on the ground. Lines up in narrow, three-point stance from interior and struggles to fight back against down blocks and double teams. Can be washed out of his gap too often. High center of gravity made interior work a challenge at times. Can bend, but lets high pad level get the best of him. Doesn't consistently utilize his length with first hands. Has to become better at controlling the point of attack with his natural attributes. Needs to punch and control rather than leaning on blockers. Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent. Scouts concerned about work ethic and leadership.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "He has a chance to be a dominant player in our league. I mean dominant. It hasn't turned on for him all the way yet but if it does, he could be like Mario Williams. He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON Ezekiel Ansah

BOTTOM LINE Has similar physical traits and abilities of Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, but may not share their football character. McDowell lacked production along the interior and could benefit from a move to a defensive end spot in a 4-3 or 3-4 front. McDowell is raw, but when he flashes, it can be blinding. McDowell is an explosive, ascending prospect with All-Pro potential if he grows into his body and takes the necessary coaching.

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought this would provide info on why Seattle selected McDowell.

I'm not going to say he's not a bust. But, at least , we can see why Seattle selected McDowell. Would have been a great fit in PC's system.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1xucg4rf said:
Schneider has a history of trying to hit home runs and striking out instead of taking the more obvious picks.

What you're describing is a gamble, not a bad pick.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22iuchre said:
JayhawkMike":22iuchre said:
Schneider has a history of trying to hit home runs and striking out instead of taking the more obvious picks.

What you're describing is a gamble, not a bad pick.

Gambles can pay off, and the obvious may bust, like Curry (59), who was the safest, surest thing in the draft, according to the (so-called) experts at the time.

A bad pick is only one that doesn't pan out over the course of a career for the team that drafted them. That simply cannot be known at the point of the draft or even immediately after (though several people on this board think otherwise, and are happy to share their football omniscience and prescience with us in absolute terms).

kf3339

Reaction score
truehawksfan":24e7br2n said:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-mcdowell?id=2557970

Overview
As a top-50 high school recruit out of Detroit, McDowell could have gone anywhere.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Slippery and long. Combination of arm length and flexible torso allow him to slither into gaps and create disruptions for blockers. Freaky combination of size and athleticism. Can overwhelm blockers with pure strength and explosiveness when his feet are right. Strong enough in lower half to play through contact and cause stress in the pocket. Has tremendous amount of untapped potential waiting to be unlocked. Quick, strong hands in pass rush. Able to attack the edge with club-and-swim pet move. Can crank up a pocket-caving bull rush. Can redirect his weight and maintain pursuit of scrambling mobile quarterbacks. Long frame and play speed can close out perimeter runs and foil them before corner is turned. Elite playmaking radius. Explosive lateral movement and quickness. Can bound from one gap to the next in Sparty's slanting defensive front. Will be extremely difficult to cross face as he learns the position. Has experience up and down the defensive line.

WEAKNESSES Footwork and technique are a mess. Plays with inconsistent base width and overall balance. Struggles to keep feet clean and ends up on the ground. Lines up in narrow, three-point stance from interior and struggles to fight back against down blocks and double teams. Can be washed out of his gap too often. High center of gravity made interior work a challenge at times. Can bend, but lets high pad level get the best of him. Doesn't consistently utilize his length with first hands. Has to become better at controlling the point of attack with his natural attributes. Needs to punch and control rather than leaning on blockers. Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent. Scouts concerned about work ethic and leadership.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "He has a chance to be a dominant player in our league. I mean dominant. It hasn't turned on for him all the way yet but if it does, he could be like Mario Williams. He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON Ezekiel Ansah

BOTTOM LINE Has similar physical traits and abilities of Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, but may not share their football character. McDowell lacked production along the interior and could benefit from a move to a defensive end spot in a 4-3 or 3-4 front. McDowell is raw, but when he flashes, it can be blinding. McDowell is an explosive, ascending prospect with All-Pro potential if he grows into his body and takes the necessary coaching.

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought this would provide info on why Seattle selected McDowell.

I'm not going to say he's not a bust. But, at least , we can see why Seattle selected McDowell. Would have been a great fit in PC's system.

That assessment along with the scout comments says a 4th or 5th round project, not a 1st or 2nd round pick to me. All the signs are there if you read the comments. Can't handle double teams and ends up on the ground a lot, bad footwork and technique, tends to be lazy and not a self starter along with the other character issues doesn't equal a high grade. If he was a 4th or 5th round pick it would have been better for him. He would be have had to actually work for a major contract. Not having it handed to him.

But it doesn't matter now. The kid will blow thru that money within a few years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":1exnaror said:
That assessment along with the scout comments says a 4th or 5th round project, not a 1st or 2nd round pick to me. All the signs are there if you read the comments. Can't handle double teams and ends up on the ground a lot, bad footwork and technique, tends to be lazy and not a self starter along with the other character issues doesn't equal a high grade. If he was a 4th or 5th round pick it would have been better for him. He would be have had to actually work for a major contract. Not having it handed to him.

But it doesn't matter now. The kid will blow thru that money within a few years.

McDowell was a late 1st to early 2nd round projection, and that's where he went. So getta outa here with the 4th or 5th round reach nonsense. Dude was a top 10 talent that fell due to maturity issues. Yep, we gambled, and lost. But that doesn't make him a "reach." Just like EVERY pick in the draft is a gamble to some extent, these are human beings, with flaws.

Walters Football
He could easily go in the second round, might sneak into the back half of the first round, and shouldn't fall any lower than the third round.

Todd McShay
“He probably could come off the board in the 10-25 range,” McShay said.

Sports Illustrated
Which brings us to McDowell, who when playing at his peak has looked like a top-five talent relative to this draft class. Of course, one really has to dial back to 2015 to get the complete McDowell experience because of a hit-or-miss ’16, but his size (6' 6", 295 lbs.) and athleticism up front make him an option for just about any team drafting in Round 1.

Mel Kiper
On pure talent alone, McDowell might be a top-10 pick. ... He’s a physical specimen,” Kiper wrote. “But he didn't have a great junior season, posting just 11/2 sacks in eight games, and there are questions around the league about his effort. Late First Round or Early Second is where I have McDowell."

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1t4g3cg8 said:
kf3339":1t4g3cg8 said:

McDowell was a late 1st to early 2nd round projection, and that's where he went. So getta outa here with the 4th or 5th round reach nonsense. Dude was a top 10 talent that fell due to maturity issues. Yep, we gambled, and lost. But that doesn't make him a "reach." Just like EVERY pick in the draft is a gamble to some extent, these are human beings, with flaws.

Walters Football
He could easily go in the second round, might sneak into the back half of the first round, and shouldn't fall any lower than the third round.

Todd McShay
“He probably could come off the board in the 10-25 range,” McShay said.

Sports Illustrated
Which brings us to McDowell, who when playing at his peak has looked like a top-five talent relative to this draft class. Of course, one really has to dial back to 2015 to get the complete McDowell experience because of a hit-or-miss ’16, but his size (6' 6", 295 lbs.) and athleticism up front make him an option for just about any team drafting in Round 1.

Mel Kiper
On pure talent alone, McDowell might be a top-10 pick. ... He’s a physical specimen,” Kiper wrote. “But he didn't have a great junior season, posting just 11/2 sacks in eight games, and there are questions around the league about his effort. Late First Round or Early Second is where I have McDowell."

Plenty of guys have fallen that far for the exact same reasons as what happened here. The only difference is that we don't know how much farther he would have fallen if he was off our board. There may very well be many teams that took him off their boards for those same reasons. My point is that he would not be a story if he was taken in those rounds I stated. Only because we took him where we did, paid him way too much guaranteed money and watched him screw it up.

It doesn't matter now. He is finished.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":2tbpa276 said:
Plenty of guys have fallen that far for the exact same reasons as what happened here. The only difference is that we don't know how much farther he would have fallen if he was off our board. There may very well be many teams that took him off their boards for those same reasons. My point is that he would not be a story if he was taken in those rounds I stated. Only because we took him where we did, paid him way too much guaranteed money and watched him screw it up.

It doesn't matter now. He is finished.

1. You're right, it doesn't matter, it's over.

2. No player has fallen 4-5 rounds with as much talent as McDowell had except for SERIOUS issues like felony charges pending, or a serious college injury.

You can talk yourself into thinking he would have fallen to the 4th or 5th, but make no mistake, the projections as I listed above had him going where we took him, or shortly thereafter.

In the end it was a risky pick, but it wasn't a bad pick. Also remember we traded down twice and got four more picks in last years draft, of which we used to get players like Griffin and Pocic.

Status
Not open for further replies.