Nick Vannett too tall for Schottenheimer ??

HawkerD

Reaction score
Who cares who they keep or cut? The objective is to get a couple of guys that can do the job well. Doesn't matter to me whether it is Dissley, Vannet or Dickson. WE need production from the TE in terms of blocking AND receiving, I'll take it from any of these guys. However I will say that if neither Dissley or Vannett pan out, we need to look at our evaluation process.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
jlwaters1":36720bwt said:
I think he's been buried on the depth chart behind 2 solid players. I think this is the year for him to prove he has what it takes. I reject the "He's too tall" nonsense. 1-2 inches don't make that much difference.

This. 100% this. Graham and Luke being here really didn't give him an opportunity to play too much. I've said before, the one thing that stuck out to me regarding Vannett is how natural he looks as a pass catcher. He's really fluid in his motions. With Graham and Luke gone, he he's finally getting his first shot at really playing time.

I don't believe in the "Dissly being drafted is the writing on the wall for Vannett" nonsense. Did the Eagles drafting Dallas Goedert mean the writing is on the wall for Zach Ertz? Heck no! Some of it my come down to them keeping him away from Dallas, but the Eagles are a two TE heavy team. He fits what they want to do. Just like Dissly fits the need of blocking TE depth for the Seahawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
purpleneer":jwwcybc4 said:
I hope he's actually more open-minded and flexible than that. Willingness to adapt is what makes offenses capable of succeeding against more opponents and being more reliable.

That's how I see it also....Diversity of talent and how to cash in and maximize with it.
Vannett may not have been a good fit, but a good Coach can should be able to work a player with his measurable into a workable recipe.
Vannett could maybe be utilized as more of a tall Receiver.....Hell, maybe more of a Joe Jurevicius type challenger.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3jccixj2 said:
jlwaters1":3jccixj2 said:
I think he's been buried on the depth chart behind 2 solid players. I think this is the year for him to prove he has what it takes. I reject the "He's too tall" nonsense. 1-2 inches don't make that much difference.

This. 100% this. Bevell and Cable being here really didn't give him an opportunity to play too much. I've said before, the one thing that stuck out to me regarding Vannett is how natural he looks as a pass catcher. He's really fluid in his motions. With Graham and Luke gone, he he's finally getting his first shot at really playing time.

I don't believe in the "Dissly being drafted is the writing on the wall for Vannett" nonsense. Did the Eagles drafting Dallas Goedert mean the writing is on the wall for Zach Ertz? Heck no! Some of it my come down to them keeping him away from Dallas, but the Eagles are a two TE heavy team. He fits what they want to do. Just like Dissly fits the need of blocking TE depth for the Seahawks.

There fixed it for you, Vannett never looked bad, Bevell just wanted Grahams presence and at 10 million had to use him somehow since he convinced Pete to go get him.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Maybe height will be a deciding factor on who plays.

But, I have several questions.
1. Does Shotty play 2 TE sets? If, so what happens if Dickson or Dissly gets hurt? IMHO, PC wants to run the ball and he does not want injury to derail this objective.
2. Dissly has great reviews as a blocker, but what happens if he struggles? Nice to have another blocking TE right?
3. How's Dickson's contract structured? If Dissly and Vannett play well, perhaps they'll cut Dickson in 2019 and save $$$.

naholmes

Reaction score
Dickson can be cut after this season with just 1.7 dead cap. I think thy are hoping he’s a stopgap signing to get Dissly up to speed and as insurance. Not writing off Vannett, it will be a big year for him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Ah. Football.

Over analysing whether an inch or two in height makes for a better blocker. Watch film and see and also line them up and actually see who is a better blocker.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Jville":3b3cjn7t said:
It's a very shallow and silly article to fill in the void of the silly season.

Looking for a meaningful article worth reading thoroughly?

Jville":3b3cjn7t said:
We need each other ...... If you missed Greg Bishop's December 28, 2017 article in Sports Illustrated, you owe it to yourself to read it now.

The improbable ongoing story of Dion Jordan's return from the Dark Side >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/dion-jordan-seahawks-comeback-2013-draft-drug-alchohol-suspension[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146725[/urltargetblank]
Thanks for resharing that.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1wep3e35 said:
jlwaters1":1wep3e35 said:

This. 100% this. Graham and Luke being here really didn't give him an opportunity to play too much. I've said before, the one thing that stuck out to me regarding Vannett is how natural he looks as a pass catcher. He's really fluid in his motions. With Graham and Luke gone, he he's finally getting his first shot at really playing time.

I think that's what we want to be. Utilyzing 2 TE formations or shifting 1 into the FB position. I think These 3 guys are going to really strengthen the team and help the Running game immensely.

original poster

Reaction score
truehawksfan":20fym4s7 said:
Maybe height will be a deciding factor on who plays.

But, I have several questions.
1. Does Shotty play 2 TE sets? If, so what happens if Dickson or Dissly gets hurt? IMHO, PC wants to run the ball and he does not want injury to derail this objective.
2. Dissly has great reviews as a blocker, but what happens if he struggles? Nice to have another blocking TE right?
3. How's Dickson's contract structured? If Dissly and Vannett play well, perhaps they'll cut Dickson in 2019 and save $$$.

1. Yes, a whole lot.

2. If Dissly disappoints they will have to hope Vannett can step up to the plate this season. He may absolutely shine under new coaching with genuine opportunity to see the field, who knows.

3. If Dickson was cut in 2019 there would be a dead money charge of $1,733,334 with cap savings of $2,833,332. If he was cut in 2020 there would be dead money of $866,668 with cap savings of $3,400,000.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":2nt0h6j8 said:
Ah. Football.

Over analysing whether an inch or two in height makes for a better blocker. Watch film and see and also line them up and actually see who is a better blocker.

To quote John Wooden, "It's not how big you are, it's how big you play."

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we aren’t going to give him an honest shot to play we should consider trading him to the Bolts.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
brimsalabim":vuhdchpi said:
If we aren’t going to give him an honest shot to play we should consider trading him to the Bolts.

Don't believe everything you read. :D