This team is being undersold, greatness is coming!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ check out the second sentence of my post you’re quoting. We’re in agreement on your point. :2thumbs:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We won't 'suck'.
The question was asked before on here.

But expecting this team to be great is a pretty good example of wishful thinking.

chris98251

Reaction score
On paper we have room to be optimistic with the changes, the hold over roster and draft picks from last year alone make you think there are things that could pop. We brought in selected pieces as fall back options as well.

However to me Greatness is earned and not something one calls themselves unless you have the numbers to back it up. Right now were at a 0 ranking on everything and it's a fresh start.

The mediots are doing something that many teams don't respond well too, telling us as fans, the team and everyone that will listen that we are nothing to write home about and are going to fail.

Under Pete this kind of thing gives him energy that he passes on to his players and uses, turns a negative into a driving force to challange each and everyone to step up and raise their level of play and thus as a team become a dominant force. Greatness can come in the headlines with how we won or what we won.

adeltaY

Reaction score
If ST goes back to top 5, this team will have a good shot at 10+ wins. They played a huge role in us losing the redskins (kicker), Rams, and Jags games at least. Gave up some really big kick returns and poor punting to boot. Upgrading at punter, adding guys like Quem, and Seabass hopefully being much better than Walsh might be the most important moves the team made.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Janikowski is a huge question mark. Our kicking game might not be much better than it was with Walsh. Janikowski didn't even play last season and the season before that, it appears he can no longer kick 50+ yard FG's. Kick offs will suffer as well. Not thrilled with that signing and it has me concerned.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1dsnt6yt said:
^^^ check out the second sentence of my post you’re quoting. We’re in agreement on your point. :2thumbs:
Had you stopped with the "Second Sentence", I wouldn't have responded.
OP is correct though, too many people buying into the total rebuild malarkey, the Seahawks are NOT in total scuttle & rebuild mode.

adeltaY

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":9bht65nu said:
Janikowski is a huge question mark. Our kicking game might not be much better than it was with Walsh. Janikowski didn't even play last season and the season before that, it appears he can no longer kick 50+ yard FG's. Kick offs will suffer as well. Not thrilled with that signing and it has me concerned.

Yeah, he's not a slam dunk, but I'm sure saying he can't kick 50+ is an exaggeration. Kickoff should be fine if he's healthy, he can definitely boot it. I'm more worried about accuracy at that range.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
adeltaY":1s0mtwyr said:
pittpnthrs":1s0mtwyr said:

Yeah, he's not a slam dunk, but I'm sure saying he can't kick 50+ is an exaggeration. Kickoff should be fine if he's healthy, he can definitely boot it. I'm more worried about accuracy at that range.

Yeah, the accuracy is up in the air. He missed a bunch of them a couple years ago. Hopefully his back is healthy.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
No reason why any of us should not be excited about this coming season. There has been years of discussion (on this forum) about what needs to be done to this team (maybe before but at least since SB 49) and it has happened. Total wipe of coaching, keeping some veterans and bringing in some high energy rookies sounds very good.

Only real question is our OL. Like that hasn't been said for 6 years, more so the past 3. The FO office did something about it though and it wasn't a quick knee jerk reaction (goes without saying). This sounds a bit negative but I just do not see it getting any worse on the OL, especially what I have seen Cable do at Oakland recently.

Amazing what an ego does to the brain. He was fired yet he is doing the same exact shit. :roll:

Smellyman

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2sd2ghgf said:
This team won because it had better players than the other teams.

Period.

Look at those old rosters.

If this team is going to win enough to be 'great' it needs to have better players than most other teams. Right now, the roster looks pretty thin. We have some great players on our team but we do NOT have a great roster. Or based on what we know now.

So, if 'greatness is coming' we better have some amazing players in the wings that we do not know about or instead you are looking at 'okness'/'goodness' is coming.

Yup, depth will be a huge issue

Popeyejones

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3f347phx said:
Popeyejones":3f347phx said:
Had you stopped with the "Second Sentence", I wouldn't have responded.

But your point wasn’t relevant to my post beyond the second sentence.

Your point was that the Seahawks haven’t shed nearly as much talent as the 9ers did in 14-15. We both obviously agree on that, and it was even in my post you quoted before you made the point.

My point was that for new players and coaches, young players, and players who have been buried on the depth chart we as fans tend to always see arrows pointing up, but that’s practically never how things play out in reality.

This all tends to fall in a normal distribution, and I think a good exercise in setting expectations is to take all those assumptions and assign them to that distribution (e.g. if you want to assign a major jump to a player you have to balance that out with a guy who looked much better than he was in limited snaps last year and assign him a major regression from your expectations. Example: if you wanna assign Tyler Lockett the major jump you’ve always known he’s had in him, maybe that means Dion Jordan just had a nice couple games last year but will revert back to being the bust that he always has been — if everyone is just fulfilling fan expectations all the time you’re setting yourself up for disappointment, because that never happens.)

getnasty

Reaction score
If we can get the running game back that should more then make up for the losses on the defense, couple that with some young guys stepping up I could see 11 or 12 wins.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":35ts2cow said:
If we can get the running game back that should more then make up for the losses on the defense, couple that with some young guys stepping up I could see 11 or 12 wins.

That's a good point.

An effective running game is probably the best defensive weapon in football.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Being great? What does that mean?

The concept, like asking if the team will 'suck', is subjective.

So you could argue the team will be great, I could argue the opposite and we could both be right.

Were the Saints 'great' last year? They certainly were very good.

So if the Seahawks have a season like the Saints did last year, is that 'great'?

In my mind, if the team can just be competitive in a non-wildcard game in the playoffs...that is a success. They don't even need to win, just don't get beaten badly like usually.

I don't see this team as a playoff team. Maybe a wildcard.

But if this team is in the playoffs and does not get destroyed in the first real game? That is a win.

If the team looks better this year and shows it is starting to have the pieces to make a good playoff showing next year? Absolutely a win, even if they miss the playoffs this year.

They don't need to be 'great', just better. For the past several years, we were a glorified wildcard team. So the expectations of greatness seem crazy. But it does not at all rule out that this team should be better. Just by fielding a competent non-vomit inducing offense - even with the losses to the defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":l2v0wxwx said:
So if the Seahawks have a season like the Saints did last year, is that 'great'?.

Absolutely, because the expectations were less.

It all begins with expectation, internally and externally to answer your question................as we do at the beginning of every year.

If the team is one of the top 2 favorites to win the SB as we were for a 3-4 year period? Then it isn't "great" when we lose in the Divisional rounds. This year we're expected to finish 3rd of 4th in our own division, so yes if we get to the NFC title game like the Saints did? Hell yeah that's "great."

Expectations.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This team will at least win the Super Bowl.

And when they do, I will remind you all that I was the one who first started predicting this 2 years ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fenderbender123":175e2mp7 said:

And when they do, I will remind you all that I was the one who first started predicting this 2 years ago.

You predict it every year, so not sure that constitutes declaring you Nostradamus.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b9kfftwv said:
fenderbender123":b9kfftwv said:

You predict it every year, so not sure that constitutes declaring you Nostradamus.

Hopefully he can tell us, "told you so" LOL.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":teacqxjp said:
fenderbender123":teacqxjp said:

Or would it? :mrgreen: