Cliff Avril checks in on where things went wrong

Aw Mang

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24gr07bn said:
What about the D giving up a 10 point 4th quarter lead? That had nothing to do with it? :lol:
It’s not about that. Despite that, the hawks could have won their second super bowl and lost it on a questionable call.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The D may have given up a 10 point lead but without them we wouldn’t have sniffed the super bowl. They were the heartbeat of that team along with Lynch and they got jerked by our coaching staff. They have a right to be angry.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The PLAYERS are telling you all what the problem was. It was The Play. Yet, some still choose to say "Bullshit." In spite of the blown lead, the injuries on D etc etc etc.....the offense still had a great opportunity to win that game. A CRAP play call, followed by piss poor execution, resulted in a loss. And the loss was followed by NO ACCOUNTABILITY on the part of the coaches. Pete lost the team. If you have been paying attention these past few years, it was pretty obvious.

jeremiah

Reaction score
How about an offensive coach that could maybe figure out a way for a few plays called "planned chaos"? Have certain players double teamed, one guy gets free while Russell rolls out and sticks a pass into the end zone? It doesn't have to be 10-15 seconds of scrambling, just roll outs that look like the line screwed up. Russell Wilson is the most underused asset in QB history after the decision that Al Davis made with Marcus Allen. Russell could be brilliant for an entire game if they schemed correctly. That would take the pressure off of the O line. As some guy on KJR is fond of saying, tell the O lineman his can hold his block for 4 seconds and you'll give him a million dollars.. He will do so, then why can't they do it for 2 Mill a year?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":k4cit2pc said:
The PLAYERS are telling you all what the problem was. It was The Play. Yet, some still choose to say "Bullshit." In spite of the blown lead, the injuries on D etc etc etc.....the offense still had a great opportunity to win that game. A CRAP play call, followed by piss poor execution, resulted in a loss. And the loss was followed by NO ACCOUNTABILITY on the part of the coaches. Pete lost the team. If you have been paying attention these past few years, it was pretty obvious.
So much this.

Most of those involved in “the 2nd and wrong” are gone, from the coach responsible for the particular piss poor play call, to the players involved in the play (outside of RW).

Hopefully with all of the changes we can usher in a new winning chapter of Hawks football.

Maybe I’m a Homer J Simpson but with the coaching changes, this draft and the combo with last year’s draft class and the FA pickups we might be a sleeper team and sneak up and have a successful “surprise season”. I know I’m repeating myself but I REALLY LIKE this draft class.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":19hw0qfj said:
Pete Carroll also Coached the Seahawks to its FIRST extraordinary Super Bowl win.
Defensive players got hurt, and blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter.
It's not all on the Defense for that loss, but they very much DO have their FAIR SHARE of blame.
Firing Bevell would have been a knee-jerk reaction, after all, he & Cable were Coaches that helped to orchestrate ANOTHER pretty good Season TWO YEARS IN A ROW, and they were of the Coaches who got a Super Bowl rings from the year before.
They can CHOOSE to keep sniveling about ONE PLAY, or they could just move on.
Players play--Coaches Coach.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":32qkc7j7 said:
So much this.

Most of those involved in “the 2nd and wrong” are gone, from the coach responsible for the particular piss poor play call, to the players involved in the play (outside of RW).

Hopefully with all of the changes we can usher in a new winning chapter of Hawks football.

Maybe I’m a Homer J Simpson but with the coaching changes, this draft and the combo with last year’s draft class and the FA pickups we might be a sleeper team and sneak up and have a successful “surprise season”. I know I’m repeating myself but I REALLY LIKE this draft class.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":81f3d2lj said:
WmHBonney":81f3d2lj said:
Pete Carroll also Coached the Seahawks to its FIRST extraordinary Super Bowl win.
Defensive players got hurt, and blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter.
It's not all on the Defense for that loss, but they very much DO have their FAIR SHARE of blame.
Firing Bevell would have been a knee-jerk reaction, after all, he & Cable were Coaches that helped to orchestrate ANOTHER pretty good Season TWO YEARS IN A ROW, and they were of the Coaches who got a Super Bowl rings from the year before.
They can CHOOSE to keep sniveling about ONE PLAY, or they could just move on.
Players play--Coaches Coach.
In reading all this,you would think we was the Falcons who blew the biggest lead
in SB history!They did not go back the following year but WE did.
So we lost and that to me only happened with those injuries..Without those the last play
never happens.
I can't believe we are still talking about a lost SB..The one with the Steelers I can understand.
With all the injuries we had in the NE game we was lucky to be in that game period.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Blowing a 10 pt lead to the Patriots is not a tough thing to do for any team given the fact it is the Patriots...they play in this game every other year it seems and always find a way to win or at least keep it close. The injuries on defence did not help. Sherman was already injured with his elbow...we lost Lane in the first quarter for which he was never the same after and lost Avril to a concussion which hurt the pass rush. Everyone knows to beat Brady you need to get in his face since he is one of the most immobile QBs ever. The fact we had to play that overrated pos tharold simon was a huge turning point. He was exposed for the garbage player he always was. Also on offence the Kearse drop was a severe game changer. He gets that and the play is null and void. Yes he makes a fluke never give up catch on the final drive that if they scored goes down as one of the greatest ever. Overall though Kearse was a let down as a number 2 wr and in the last two games that year it really showed. Horrible clock management after this throw and Pete and co dont know what to do it seems. It was almost like they expected Bellicheat to take a timeout which he did not. They run Lynch who almost damn well gets it in and then the play that destroyed the team. I agree that Kearse didnt do his job yet again and the the throw was slightly off and to the wrong receiver. It should of been a Lynch run or fake to Lynch and Wilson run. Doesn't work...there was still plenty of time for another play. Pete got outcoached when it mattered the most. Blame Bevell too but Pete can override any play. After this game his message was lost and the egos started to surface. I still think this team maybe gets a 3rd sb before their time is up but now we are suddenly in a rebuild situation with no draft stock for the guys that left. The play changed everything. Up until the play however I still think it was one of the best super bowl games in history.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":29assh53 said:
Blowing a 10 pt lead to the Patriots is not a tough thing to do for any team given the fact it is the Patriots...they play in this game every other year it seems and always find a way to win or at least keep it close. The injuries on defence did not help. Sherman was already injured with his elbow...we lost Lane in the first quarter for which he was never the same after and lost Avril to a concussion which hurt the pass rush. Everyone knows to beat Brady you need to get in his face since he is one of the most immobile QBs ever. The fact we had to play that overrated pos tharold simon was a huge turning point. He was exposed for the garbage player he always was. Also on offence the Kearse drop was a severe game changer. He gets that and the play is null and void. Yes he makes a fluke never give up catch on the final drive that if they scored goes down as one of the greatest ever. Overall though Kearse was a let down as a number 2 wr and in the last two games that year it really showed. Horrible clock management after this throw and Pete and co dont know what to do it seems. It was almost like they expected Bellicheat to take a timeout which he did not. They run Lynch who almost damn well gets it in and then the play that destroyed the team. I agree that Kearse didnt do his job yet again and the the throw was slightly off and to the wrong receiver. It should of been a Lynch run or fake to Lynch and Wilson run. Doesn't work...there was still plenty of time for another play. Pete got outcoached when it mattered the most. Blame Bevell too but Pete can override any play. After this game his message was lost and the egos started to surface. I still think this team maybe gets a 3rd sb before their time is up but now we are suddenly in a rebuild situation with no draft stock for the guys that left. The play changed everything. Up until the play however I still think it was one of the best super bowl games in history.
Nice post but on the injuries you forget Kam was playing on one leg(bad knee) and Earl(seperated shoulder) it was stuff of toughness that all three even played in that game.
So during game we lose 2 starters to go with the 3 already playing hurt and we still were in the game..
That alone speaks for itself!

getnasty

Reaction score
So let's buy in, win a Superbowl, get to another and just throw all of it away because things didn't work out on 1 play. If that's the case Sherman and Bennett are weak minded, continue to do what has put you and your team in that situation. Yeah it didn't work out but whats the alternative. It's to bad because Sherman, Bennett and Marshawn were nothing before Pete have some resecpt for the guy that helped make you, that allowed you to play with freedom and have fun, Instead there selfish. I'm glad there gone and hope anyone who doesn't buy gets out too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":225wgmjt said:
So let's buy in, win a Superbowl, get to another and just throw all of it away because things didn't work out on 1 play. If that's the case Sherman and Bennett are weak minded, continue to do what has put you and your team in that situation. Yeah it didn't work out but whats the alternative. It's to bad because Sherman, Bennett and Marshawn were nothing before Pete have some resecpt for the guy that helped make you, that allowed you to play with freedom and have fun, Instead there selfish. I'm glad there gone and hope anyone who doesn't buy gets out too.
Totally agree..

On Dome-There was many angles at play before the end resulting play.
The game is four quarters with so many players and it's funny how Avril who
was playing that year @probaly his highest level goes out and then Brady
weasles his way back into the game.Yet Avril while not buying what the
above is talking about has to keep this stupid thing going.
My belief is injuries cost us that game..The ones during game and the
ones who were playing hurt.If those guys are all good we smash that
team and I've heard NE fans say the same..They knew the game was
gifted to them in different ways.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Every freakin season one team wins and one team loses... Last season the Pats lost. You don’t think they will be back? Do you think they will waste entire seasons dwelling on it? Or do you think they’ll put on their big boy pants and get on with it? History says the later. The problem isn’t the freaking play or that the defense coughed up a lead. The problem is that our mental midgets couldn’t get over it and get on with it and it took our management too long to recognize and account for. I appreciate that those players helped bring a super owl and got us to the edge of a second. Their me first attitudes destroyed entire seasons afterwards. Now we will see if our coaching staff and front office are up to the task of setting things back on track or if it’s time to clean house there as well.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Players pointing to one SB play as the issue are either being diplomatic or clueless.

The only way a play causes an issue is if you let it. Basically some players got their jocks twisted and couldnt move forward. That’s not the blame of the play, it’s on the players. It really isn’t that complicated.u

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
brimsalabim":c86ocyh0 said:
Every freakin season one team wins and one team loses... Last season the Pats lost. You don’t think they will be back? Do you think they will waste entire seasons dwelling on it? Or do you think they’ll put on their big boy pants and get on with it? History says the later. The problem isn’t the freaking play or that the defense coughed up a lead. The problem is that our mental midgets couldn’t get over it and get on with it and it took our management too long to recognize and account for. I appreciate that those players helped bring a super owl and got us to the edge of a second. Their me first attitudes destroyed entire seasons afterwards. Now we will see if our coaching staff and front office are up to the task of setting things back on track or if it’s time to clean house there as well.

That is what I don’t get either, if they really felt like more Super Bowls were on the table as Avril said, why let the one play break you? It’s hard to know if he really believes it himself or not, given the players actions and attitude. People might not like playing for Belicheck, but they aren’t going to slap the hand that feeds after a Super Bowl loss, they know they have another shot. Pete got them there twice in a row, and built it from nothing, come on man. Our players were too self absorbed in their own legacy (above the team), and really by releasing this information, they are only tarnishing it more. Entitled players (I really beleive they felt they ‘deserved’ to win regardless of anything, which is a dangerous way to think) that quit being true professionals, which negatively impacted the team on and off the field for years.

lobohawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":e71aww7n said:
Avril was there and echoes what others have said.

Nuff said.

He said the the play affected some players and that’s about it. The blaming bits are on fans who need to point at something.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
brimsalabim":dkt5kbmu said:

The Patriots didnt lose due to a historically bad play call and they didnt retain a coach that publicly threw a player under the bus instead of taking personal responsibility afterwards either. Its easy to see how some players can take that to heart and feel resentment. I dont think any team could have put that behind them like some suggest. Seattle sure couldnt.

sdog1981

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":26ljwhr5 said:
brimsalabim":26ljwhr5 said:

The Patriots didnt lose due to a historically bad play call and they didnt retain a coach that publicly threw a player under the bus instead of taking personal responsibility afterwards either. Its easy to see how some players can take that to heart and feel resentment. I dont think any team could have put that behind them like some suggest. Seattle sure couldnt.

The Seahawks were on shaky footing with how the NFC title game and Superbowl ended. If the Hawks lost to the Packers it would not have been as bad. But all of the players would have turned on Russell because of how bad he was in that game.

Then the Superbowl Russell played well but we all know the results of a stupidy designed play to a player who should not have been on the field at the time. All of the players turned on the coaches after that and played like it.

jeremiah

Reaction score
The players became arrogant, blindly thinking they were "all that and a box of donuts" instead of realizing that a team is a group. #1 is not more important than the last guy on the roster. Sure, Sherman had a few good years, but he was in the exact right system to flourish. Bennett? His best days were when he was 1 among 7 others in a rotation, that is called teamwork. Baldwin? Dude can hardly get separation without scheming. The TEAM was good, the players other than Kam, Russ, Earl and Wagner benefited from their brilliance which was blended into the better than average others. When Marshawn was right, he was a star, but to me gave up on this team after the SB loss. His refusal to go to Minnesota to play in the 10-9 win ice game, was the middle finger to the team. #28 for Minnesota was playing with a sports hernia, yet Lynch wouldn't even make the trip after healing up from one for 2/3rds of a year. GO TEAM.... Like I said, ARROGANCE. Believing their own hype.

Latest posts