Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Former Colts GM Ryan Grigson lands with Hawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Championship!
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Guy has been pretty bad so far in his career. Made some pretty big blunders. Hope he turns it around here in a smaller role.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• Loser....X 1,000,000,000
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I find this move kind of just falls off my "care radar". If we had replaced Schneider and this was the guy, I'd care (and not be happy), but so far as he's got a job here, I really don't think it's a negative or a positive for us, it's just another guy in the front office.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• What's his forte?... personnel evaluator?.... captologist?... other?
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• He likely brings relationships wih other GMs around the league, which is valuable.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like he's just a consultant. Only reason it's getting news is because of how poorly he handled the Colts, kind of a 'meh' hiring given his role.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:Sounds like he's just a consultant. Only reason it's getting news is because of how poorly he handled the Colts, kind of a 'meh' hiring given his role.

Given his track record, listening (and following his advise) as a consultant is the equivalent of hiring Timothy Mcveigh to head up security.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• This is a weird hire.

Hopefully he was a case of the Peter Principle and will be much better in this other role.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Well, he was thought highly enough in front offices to get a GM job in the first place. I look at FO hirings like this the same as hiring a failed head coach to be a coordinator or position coach.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• He's here to be the George Costanza for the front office. Whatever Grigson says we should do, we'll do the opposite. = Super Bowl
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

• Ryan Grigson qualifies for inclusion with the Seahawks in that he chooses not to blame others but rather learn and grow from his disappointments. He couldn't have picked a better organization to restart his career than a program committed to helping others learn how to grow to become the best that they can be. The VMAC is a place of growth. It is not where people go to die. It is where people come to learn and grow. A place where second chances can thrive.

Background article >>> http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/indianapolis-colts-ryan-grigson-general-manager-nfl-draft-picks/l4q0qgl10yu21lu2rn5o5c5n1
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Trrrroy wrote:Well, he was thought highly enough in front offices to get a GM job in the first place. I look at FO hirings like this the same as hiring a failed head coach to be a coordinator or position coach.

Keep in mind. The job was given to him by a dope head.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Colts draft history under GM Grigson:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Ryan Grigson qualifies for inclusion with the Seahawks in that he chooses not to blame others but rather learn and grow from his disappointments. He couldn't have picked a better organization to restart his career than a program committed to helping others learn how to grow to become the best that they can be. The VMAC is a place of growth. It is not where people go to die. It is where people come to learn and grow. A place where second chances can thrive.

Background article >>> http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/indianapolis-colts-ryan-grigson-general-manager-nfl-draft-picks/l4q0qgl10yu21lu2rn5o5c5n1

Growth???? Is that what we witnessed from Cable, Bevell, McCloughan?? This is a business, not a rehab center. :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Ryan Grigson qualifies for inclusion with the Seahawks in that he chooses not to blame others but rather learn and grow from his disappointments. He couldn't have picked a better organization to restart his career than a program committed to helping others learn how to grow to become the best that they can be. The VMAC is a place of growth. It is not where people go to die. It is where people come to learn and grow. A place where second chances can thrive.

Growth???? Is that what we witnessed from Cable and Bevell?? This is a business, not a rehab center. :roll:

You will have to take your objections up with Pete Carroll. Carroll is the author of the program not me or anyone else here.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Hey, it's the Sporting News 2013 Executive of the Year award winner!* :sarcasm_on:

*Based on absolutely nothing more than taking Andrew Luck at #1
    SeaChase wrote:One thing I noticed,well in my opinion,is that Wilson isnt a good passer.
    KillerB
    NET Starter

• hawknation2018 wrote:Colts draft history under GM Grigson:

Similar to Seattle's 2014-2017. He should fit right in.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

• HawkerD wrote:
    Similar to Seattle's 2014-2017. He should fit right in.

Ouch! A bit more than a shot across the bow there....but maybe not far off though.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Never forget: Grigson won Exec of the Year over John Schneider for simply drafting Luck 1st overall the year Seattle drafted Wilson and Wagner.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maybe John brought him in so he can see what Wags and Wilson do and then ask how many championships and super bowls Luck brought the Colts. :P

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Maulbert wrote:Never forget: Grigson won Exec of the Year over John Schneider for simply drafting Luck 1st overall the year Seattle drafted Wilson and Wagner.

^^^^^^ I suspect that had everything to do with the NFL story line surrounding Indianapolis that year rather than candidate consideration.

Another different aspect for Grigson as (Colts) GM was having full responsibility for making the team’s picks as opposed to the hierarchy of the previous teams he worked for (St. Louis and Philadelphia), where the head coach had more sway or a committee approach was used.http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/indianapolis-colts-ryan-grigson-general-manager-nfl-draft-picks/l4q0qgl10yu21lu2rn5o5c5n1

With John Dorsey and now John Schneider, Grigson is has returned and moved on to joining what works better ..... i.e. consensuses building. John Dorsey and John Schneider enjoy a shared background and solid relationship. I am inclined to assume that Grigson comes to Seattle with a good recommendation from Cleveland's John Dorsey.

Interesting that, on the same day, the Seahawks added a front office man and a linebacker whose last stops were with Cleveland's John Dorsey.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• It's not as if this executive is completely clueless and unable to assess players. I think if JS and PC are happy with him as part of their team I'm perfectly OK with it too. The more talent the FO has the better job they can do gathering up quality players.

The knee jerk he sucks response fails to consider the crazy situation faced by the FO in Indie with Irsay and and the frequently broken Luck.

Besides there is clear difference between Grigson and Seattle's FO. The Colts have not done very well as far as their record and have consistently drafted earlier than Seattle.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I just puked in my mouth a little bit...talk about heading in the wrong direction. Imagine if JS leaves?? This guy could be the heir apparent. Scary....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:I just puked in my mouth a little bit...talk about heading in the wrong direction. Imagine if JS leaves?? This guy could be the heir apparent. Scary....

We have seen the front office carry a consultant before. It worked out just fine.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• What can he offer?
    I mean his drafts pretty much stunk,Luck was a no brainer.He
    did draft a couple decent OL and signed one good FA(Gore).
    I just don't get him at all.I will be sick if he is ever GM of the
    Hawks.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• He will be the teams anit-scout. Every player that gets the Grigson grade will be a warning for the Seahawks to avoid that player.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Wow !!! Just wow ...
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• chris98251 wrote:Maybe John brought him in so he can see what Wags and Wilson do and then ask how many championships and super bowls Luck brought the Colts. :P

I think Schneider brought him in so he can actually be in close proximity to the executive of the year trophy that is rightly his.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Maybe John brought him in so he can see what Wags and Wilson do and then ask how many championships and super bowls Luck brought the Colts. :P

I think Schneider brought him in so he can actually be in close proximity to the executive of the year trophy that is rightly his.

Hey Ryan, you got the Executive of the year award. But I got this.

With guys you passed on :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Lol at anybody trying to spin a positive on this guy. He's been hot garbage for a long time. Just have to sit back and wonder what we were thinking.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• I imagine everyday goes like this

JS: hey how do you like my 3rd rd SB winning QB?
    RG: He's pretty good.
    JS: They probably should have given me your trophy right?
    RG: Yeah
    JS: He's probably the best QB in that draft huh?
    RG: (sighs heavily) yes
    JS: Go get my coffee and bagel
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• Meh, he will have very little to do w/the important decisions.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Clearly those that have protested so carelessly don't comprehend what a consultant is and what they are brought in to do.

The Seahawks have previously employed consultants. The new hire recently provided consulting services in Cleveland. Prior consulting examples are in the archives to see and read. And yet, laziness blocks the comprehension of the careless protester. The knee jerk reaction is to question the decision and decision makers. The reality is that it is a failure in comprehension that lies within the lazy complainer.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Because complaining is so in these days :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Clearly those that have protested so carelessly don't comprehend what a consultant is and what they are brought in to do.

The Seahawks have previously employed consultants. The new hire recently provided consulting services in Cleveland. Prior consulting examples are in the archives to see and read. And yet, laziness blocks the comprehension of the careless protester. The knee jerk reaction is to question the decision and decision makers. The reality is that it is a failure in comprehension that lies within the lazy complainer.

Great points! Yes, I'll be the first to admit that I have no comprehension of what a consultant does. Could you please take the time to educate me on that after you feed me breakfast? :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Clearly those that have protested so carelessly don't comprehend what a consultant is and what they are brought in to do.

Great points! Yes, I'll be the first to admit that I have no comprehension of what a consultant does. Could you please take the time to educate me on that after you feed me breakfast? :roll:

Everyone has a choice. If you want to know, do the work.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• hawknation2018 wrote:Colts draft history under GM Grigson:

Wow, that reads like a veritable Who? Who? of NFL players
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Because complaining is so in these days :2thumbs:

It is indeed.

Fortunately, lazy complaining is a valuable identifier. It tags itself and forewarns others.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Jville wrote:Clearly those that have protested so carelessly don't comprehend what a consultant is and what they are brought in to do.

Everyone has a choice. If you want to know, do the work.

Why bother? The guy was fired from his last 2 jobs (lasted 1 year with Cleveland as senior personnel executive). The only worthy advising he is qualified for is possibly the best moving company to use. But, I would tripple check that too.

His missteps with the Colts included trading a first-round pick in 2013 to the Browns for Trent Richardson only to cut the running back two years later after he failed to make an impact, and failing to address Indianapolis' offensive line needs in a timely fashion.

Grigson didn't make a full commitment to improve the offensive line until the 2016 draft, when the Colts used half of their eight picks on linemen. That commitment came only after Luck missed nine games because of injury in 2015.
    Last edited by Seymour on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:Why bother? The guy was fired from his last 2 jobs (lasted 1 year with Cleveland as senior personnel executive). The only worthy advising he is qualified for is possibly the best moving company to use. But, I would tripple check that too.

Pretty much. Guy got canned from the Colts with 3 years remaining on his contract and then got canned from the freaking Browns and we're happy to have him? OK
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Why bother? The guy was fired from his last 2 jobs (lasted 1 year with Cleveland as senior personnel executive). The only worthy advising he is qualified for is possibly the best moving company to use. But, I would tripple check that too.

Pretty much. Guy got canned from the Colts with 3 years remaining on his contract and then got canned from the freaking Browns and we're happy to have him? OK

Correction. Jville is happy to have him. ;)
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:This kind of makes a little sense, but other than that, I still dont want Grigson lending his opinions to any decisions being made.

https://12thmanrising.com/2018/06/13/se ... on-reason/

If your truly interested in further insight into Grigson's new role with the Seahawks, you might consider looking into Scot McCloughan's previous role as a consultant with the Seahawks and other NFL teams.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Here's another viewpoint on Grigson:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/some-much- ... erspective

Complain if you want, but the FO has been pretty astute in getting things done as all sorts of teams around the league keep picking up members of the Seahawks FO.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Quoting a quote from Rob's blog:

He joined the Eagles as a regional scout in 2003 and gradually moved up the ladder from regional scout, to director of college scouting and eventually to director of player personnel, the job he had held for the past two seasons.

“He has been a great adviser to me and somebody I have leaned on to bounce ideas off of many times over my career,”

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said in a statement. “He leaves no stone left unturned in his efforts to find good players and we were lucky to have him here in Philadelphia.”

That’s Howie Roseman, the guy receiving widespread praise for building a Super Bowl winning Eagles roster in two years.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Similar statements were made about Tom Cable when he was hired. I refuse to look past the "what have you done lately" facts myself (just like I did when I objected to the Cable hire)....but that is me.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:This kind of makes a little sense, but other than that, I still dont want Grigson lending his opinions to any decisions being made.

https://12thmanrising.com/2018/06/13/se ... on-reason/

If your truly interested in further insight into Grigson's new role with the Seahawks, you might consider looking into Scot McCloughan's previous role as a consultant with the Seahawks and other NFL teams.

McCloughan has a history of evaluating talent and getting good to great results. Grigson hasent done squat in 7 or so years except being fired by two of the worst franchises in the NFL. He's in the Seahawks organization, so now he's supposed to be good? We cant even say to look back at his previous success because anything positive has been so long ago that its irrelevant now. The organization is in a critical stage right now and the fact that they signed a bum like Grigson is a head scratcher to say the least.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:Here's another viewpoint on Grigson:
    complain if you want, but the FO has been pretty astute in getting things done as all sorts of team aroundd the league keep picking up members of the Seahawks FO.

Then why are we letting them go and settling on guys like Ryan Grigson?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information