Jon tells John... "I'm going to make you look really dumb"

olyfan63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1n3wgojy said:
I just hope the team doesn’t do another RusKell and keep two punters.

FIFY.
Yeah, that was a signature Ruskell brainfart, keeping two kickers on the roster.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
olyfan63":qa5squdz said:
jammerhawk":qa5squdz said:

FIFY.
Yeah, that was a signature Ruskell brainfart, keeping two kickers on the roster.

They may need 2 kickers if Dickson cannot hold like Ryan. We've seen what can happen with a crappy FG holder out there, so that is something that will be part of the equation on who to keep.

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":2e4498y1 said:
olyfan63":2e4498y1 said:
jammerhawk":2e4498y1 said:

FIFY.

They may need 2 kickers if Dickson cannot hold like Ryan. We've seen what can happen with a crappy FG holder out there, so that is something that will be part of the equation on who to keep.
That's what backup QB's are for. ;)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":210g9z6l said:
Seymour":210g9z6l said:
olyfan63":210g9z6l said:
jammerhawk":210g9z6l said:

FIFY.

That's what backup QB's are for. ;)

Should be. But when Ryan went down it was Marigos to the rescue here (for the botch).

truehawksfan

Reaction score
let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2g2l7i5x said:
let's say this goes down to the wire...do you think a trade can happen prior the final cut?

Nahhh..Kickers in general are not considered worthy of draft picks. That is why some were laughing at us for trading up to snag a punter.

Other teams know we will cut him and they will just wait it out.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":zeesucbl said:
truehawksfan":zeesucbl said:

Nahhh..Kickers in general are not considered worthy of draft picks. That is why some were laughing at us for trading up to snag a punter.

Slightly disagree.

When he's cut it'll be a free-for-all by all teams without a decent punter. If a team trades a 7th-round pick for him, they get rights to him without the free-for-all.

So there is a small value in trading for him, just not a big one.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2e6un8g9 said:
Seymour":2e6un8g9 said:
truehawksfan":2e6un8g9 said:

Slightly disagree.

When he's cut it'll be a free-for-all by all teams without a decent punter. If a team trades a 7th-round pick for him, they get rights to him without the free-for-all.

So there is a small value in trading for him, just not a big one.

That is fine. We will see soon enough who is correct here.

Keep in mind. I said kickers IN GENERAL are not worthy of picks, not never.

Also, I said nahh because Ryan is a fairly average punter at this point in his career...not a top prospect like Dickson.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
thanks. I can't recall if a team traded a kicker in the past...but if Ryan shows up in preseason games....don't know.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I love the Ginger (like I have a special place in my heart for all our SB winners),

But there is 2,647,462 reasons I am hoping Dickson steps up and takes this job.

Seafan

Reaction score
Love Jon and hope he gets a job somewhere. Ironically it's his hands that will save his job in Seattle if he has any chance at all.

The team needs someone like Dickson who can help the team dominate field position like they did so well in 2013. Ryan's best years are behind him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
McGough held in college. I'm sure he gets the nod this year. We aren't paying an extra 2 millionish just for Ryan's hands. Either he comes away as the clear and away best punter, or he's gone. (He's gone IMHO).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Dickson would have to fail on an epic level to lose the punter position to Ryan. Love Ryan, hometown boy from Saskatchewan. But he's pricey, older and likely peaked a few years ago.

Last thing you want to do is cut Dickson and have him go on to be a perennial All -pro for someone else just because your current old punter is a better holder on FG's.

AVL

Reaction score
Always have a quarterback hold, brings another element to the game.

Dumber yet, have Dickson drop kick field goals, extra points and kickoffs and save two roster spots!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Dickson is reported to be not just a standout but a generational talent, and those guys sometimes end up in the Hall.

No, I am not putting Dickson in the HOF. I am saying IF the reports are true then he could be a generational talent, and IF he's a generational talent then SOMETIMES they make it to the HOF.

So I'm saying there's a chance...

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1dysnw27 said:
Assuming all reports are true - which is always a dangerous assumption, I freely admit - then even with Ryan at the peak of his career there's no way we would keep him over Dickson.

Dickson is reported to be not just a standout but a generational talent, and those guys sometimes end up in the Hall.

No, I am not putting Dickson in the HOF. I am saying IF the reports are true then he could be a generational talent, and IF he's a generational talent then SOMETIMES they make it to the HOF.

Jesus he has yet to kick anything in pre season and were talking HOF, let the off season get over ASAP. Ray Guy is the stick everyone is measured against as a Punter, meet his numbers and then start the talk.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3c0qiz1m said:
KiwiHawk":3c0qiz1m said:

Jesus he has yet to kick anything in pre season and were talking HOF, let the off season get over ASAP. Ray Guy is the stick everyone is measured against as a Punter, meet his numbers and then start the talk.
You get the "so there's a chance" quote, right?

Crap maybe it's too obscure or old for you. I hate having to explain references, particularly ones i thought were global memes.

So there's this movie called Dumb and Dumber...

[youtube]KX5jNnDMfxA[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1h8k1jqh said:
chris98251":1h8k1jqh said:
KiwiHawk":1h8k1jqh said:

You get the "so there's a chance" quote, right?

Crap maybe it's too obscure or old for you. I hate having to explain references, particularly ones i thought were global memes.

So there's this movie called Dumb and Dumber...

[youtube]KX5jNnDMfxA[/youtube]

Every punter in High School and College and on a Pro team has a chance, since there is only 1 Punter in the Hall I think it's worse then trying to win the Lottery with a person like Ray Guy as the expectation.