Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
"Value is in the eye of the beholder". Earl just hasn't found the right "beholder"......and it may be a while before he finds one, too! :177692:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":d1ftzt6s said:
Seymour":d1ftzt6s said:
Because it's a given he is already at that level. Its 2-3 years from now that the big questions with huge contracts will come into play. It may help a little, just not a lot IMO.

Huh?

The given is he's an extremely talented safety, but with recent injury history. That's what's driving down his interest, no one wants to give Earl a massive extension when he's been hurt the last two years.

So yes, one full year of health and high level production would most definitely help Earl, and us.

He still may not get a big extension next year, but the interest would certainly be more if he has a healthy productive year. Maybe more teams come into the trade talks, which means we get a 1st or 2nd, instead of a 3rd or 4th, which is what's been reported.

Huh? It doesn't help us. We get nothing for Earl after this season. He is a free agent and we are left with nodda, zilch, Cya. And forget about comp picks too. We will be in the FA market next year and those will amount to nothing...just like this year.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":300h4zjr said:
Huh? It doesn't help us. We get nothing for Earl after this season. He is a free agent and we are left with nodda, zilch, Cya. And forget about comp picks too. We will be in the FA market next year and those will amount to nothing...just like this year.
Assuming we let him walk and don't use the franchise tag on him.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":pv9mrula said:
Seymour":pv9mrula said:

Correct. But if we tagged him then attempted to trade him anywhere but Dallas, we likely would still get next to nothing out of the deal. I don't think Dallas would have paid him what he wants anyway, at least that is the vibe I got from their last second offer.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":3qxqf33m said:
KiwiHawk":3qxqf33m said:
Seymour":3qxqf33m said:

Correct. But if we tagged him then attempted to trade him anywhere but Dallas, we likely would still get next to nothing out of the deal. I don't think Dallas would have paid him what he wants anyway, at least that is the vibe I got from their last second offer.

That's why you don't trade him, because we won't get value unless he is already signed to an extension.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":kvukfzv4 said:
Seymour":kvukfzv4 said:
Because it's a given he is already at that level. Its 2-3 years from now that the big questions with huge contracts will come into play. It may help a little, just not a lot IMO.

Huh?

The given is he's an extremely talented safety, but with recent injury history. That's what's driving down his interest, no one wants to give Earl a massive extension when he's been hurt the last two years.

So yes, one full year of health and high level production would most definitely help Earl, and us.

He still may not get a big extension next year, but the interest would certainly be more if he has a healthy productive year. Maybe more teams come into the trade talks, which means we get a 1st or 2nd, instead of a 3rd or 4th, which is what's been reported.

You keep bringing up his injury history. He's had one major injury and has proven he is well recovered from it. He's not Prosise. There's a guy with a recent injury history. IMO, teams are not shying away because of ET's injury history. They are shying away because of what the Seahawks asking in return for him. So the question is why are the Seahawks asking a very high price in return for him? Because they understand what he brings and his value to them. They may not resign him for what he perceives is his market value, but they aren't going to give him away for less than top round picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29wj2c50 said:
He's missed 7 games his entire career. Injury history?

Yes when you miss games two consecutive years due to injuries, it's called "injury history.".............and it's exactly the reason most teams are shying away from trading high draft pick(s) for Earl.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2odikpbq said:
Agree to disagree

Then why isn't anyone trading for Earl. If he's the HOF safety in his prime that you think he is, shouldn't teams be breaking down our FO's door to trade for him?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I suspect it's more about the $ and contract he is going to want a lot more than his so called injury history.
He has plenty left in the tank. We all see it how we see it. :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it's a combination, his vocal wanting to get out of town, his contract which will be high, and asking price. Teams thinking disgruntled they can get him for a bargain and are not going to go all in. They also don't want to deal with a contract if we trade him someplace he doesn't want to be. His injuries are minimal in the consideration since he showed he is healthy and the wear and tear based on how he plays here isn't high.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Nah, Largent is right. The NFL community looks at the ROI and says, "No thanks." Otherwise he would be gone by now. It's that simple.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vbm3j54 said:
SoulfishHawk":1vbm3j54 said:
Agree to disagree

Then why isn't anyone trading for Earl. If he's the HOF safety in his prime that you think he is, shouldn't teams be breaking down our FO's door to trade for him?

For the following reasons:

1. No GM or HC are willingly take a risk that one day Earl will make them look like they have lost the locker room. Pete looked very silly when Earl pull that “come get me”. A Job security risk most HC aren’t willing to take.

2. Earl’s market value is not in sync with his expectation.

3. He may or may not be willing to sign that long term contract if you aren’t the Cowboys.

4. He is at the age that his speed starts to decline, and injury risks are higher.

5. Why trade for him if he could be a free agent in one year or even sooner if Pete got fed up with him.

All in all, earl damaged his own brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":313wtcs2 said:
KiwiHawk":313wtcs2 said:
Seymour":313wtcs2 said:

Just FT him and we get him for about $21M for the next 2 years combined. 3 years will run about $35M.
Reduced risk to us vs a 3 year $40M with a massive guarantee that he wants.
Time to play tough.
So Seahawks!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The two biggest things Earl did that will hurt his chances of getting an extension before this season:
1. He publicly contemplated retirement two years ago. No team, and particularly the Seahawks after what happened with Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril, will want to hand over a massive signing bonus to a player who may decide he doesn't want to continue playing.
2. He threatened a holdout. This further left in doubt his resolve to continue playing football. It also put the Seahawks in a bad position, because acquiescing to his request risks setting a precedent that would encourage future players to hurt the team with a holdout in the pursuit of more financial gain.

These are also the two things that make a trade a near impossibility. The smartest thing for the Seahawks to do is to retain his rights until he decides he wants to play.

The most likely outcome would be for Earl to return before Week 1 and save some face.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
This is Earl's last season in Seattle unless he dramatically lowers his price tag. That's the reality even then i'm not sure Seattle will be interested in another contract. He picked the wrong time to try this it won't work. My guess he comes in and plays at some point and moves on after this season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":30wrcdos said:
The two biggest things Earl did that will hurt his chances of getting an extension before this season:
1. He publicly contemplated retirement two years ago. No team, and particularly the Seahawks after what happened with Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril, will want to hand over a massive signing bonus to a player who may decide he doesn't want to continue playing.
2. He threatened a holdout. This further left in doubt his resolve to continue playing football. It also put the Seahawks in a bad position, because acquiescing to his request risks setting a precedent that would encourage future players to hurt the team with a holdout in the pursuit of more financial gain.

These are also the two things that make a trade a near impossibility. The smartest thing for the Seahawks to do is to retain his rights until he decides he wants to play.

The most likely outcome would be for Earl to return before Week 1 and save some face.
Good post,I think it is spot on.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":37k49xtp said:
This is Earl's last season in Seattle unless he dramatically lowers his price tag. That's the reality even then i'm not sure Seattle will be interested in another contract. He picked the wrong time to try this it won't work. My guess he comes in and plays at some point and moves on after this season.
Agreed, except the team could franchise him and make him decide to either retire or play under the tag... for at least one year.