Cliff Avril believes attitude is holding Germain Ifedi back

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
To be honest, if he hasn't been humbled by now, he probably will never improve his play (I hope I'm wrong). If he doesn't, it will be the coaching staffs fault (in his mind) and he will play the victim.

He needs to buck up and become disciplined. Frustrating that he has the size and strength yet lacks the mental. He was born with physical gifts, yet his mental status doesn't seem to be there.

Get to work!

The Breh

Reaction score
I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.
Besides going from one of the most difficult schemes to learn, to one of the most basic-and not knowing anything about Solari, I believe a different personality taking the reins will naturally bring a change in the whole lines attitudes.
I'm optimistic that a Fisher--> McVay change can be attained on the line through a Cable--> Solari change.
Same with a Richard--> Norton change.

mikeak

Reaction score
The Breh":3cghvhkx said:
I'm willing to put all my chips on the table that Cable wasn't getting the most out of him. He's quite the unlikable guy and has a history proving why.
Besides going from one of the most difficult schemes to learn, to one of the most basic-and not knowing anything about Solari, I believe a different personality taking the reins will naturally bring a change in the whole lines attitudes.
I'm optimistic that a Fisher--> McVay change can be attained on the line through a Cable--> Solari change.

There are some really good points here which I am not sure comes through

Let’s say Avril is right - Ifedi was not working hard. Avril thinks it is because of entitlement.

Maybe it is because

1) Personality clash with prior coach
2) A scheme that Ifedi dislikes, isn’t suited for AND doesn’t BELIEVE in (you know kind of like a few hundred thousand fans)

Getting on the same page and into something that players think will work may bring huge improvements

toffee

Reaction score
mikeak":2ozg6ef7 said:
The Breh":2ozg6ef7 said:

There are some really good points here which I am not sure comes through

Let’s say Avril is right - Ifedi was not working hard. Avril thinks it is because of entitlement.

Maybe it is because

1) Personality clash with prior coach
2) A scheme that Ifedi dislikes, isn’t suited for AND doesn’t BELIEVE in (you know kind of like a few hundred thousand fans)

Getting on the same page and into something that players think will work may bring huge improvements

Ifedi quite liked Cable, upon Cable's dismissal, Ifedi was the one that wrote an appreciation post. On the other hand, Brown has been praising Solari, Ifedi hasn't posted anything about his new coach. Of course one can interpret that as Solari's putting the works on Ifedi and being a spoiled entitlement kid, he is not liking it.

chris98251

Reaction score
With Solari being more old school once the pads are on peer pressure and drilling Ifedi hard will fix him or break him and he won't be on the field. At least that's my hope.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There was no incentive to get better.

Making a mistake didn't make you stand out. Everyone around you made mistakes.

And the narrative was always how bad the OL was. Everyone accepted it, so I am sure eventually so did the guys on the OL - whether intentionally or otherwise.

We had low expectations of the OL. They delivered on those low expectations.

We didn't reward guys that got better. We let them go.

And we surrounded each lineman with the guys that made mistakes or didn't know what they were doing. Hard to care much in that environment, even for someone WITH a worth ethic - that would sand you down quickly.

It is actually a pretty normal/common compensation method to stop caring and take the path of least resistance when placed in an environment where expectations are low and production isn't really rewarded.

The message we sent was: We will take what we can get from you. But we won't expect much of you.

It doesn't mean Ifedi can't care. But there hasn't been much reason to for a while. He might even turn out good somewhere else but that is a lot of bad habits to unlearn and patterns that have to be broken.

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":36jyzn5j said:
The eye test for Ifedi and Pocic is downright horrifying. I know Cable was the worst, but I'm not sure these two guys can make it regardless of who's coaching them. Man, I hated the Pocic pick. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this year to see if it actually was Cable or a true lack of talent.

Care to share your eye test result on Ifedi and Pocic?

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":242wq8x3 said:
There was no incentive to get better.

Making a mistake didn't make you stand out. Everyone around you made mistakes.

And the narrative was always how bad the OL was. Everyone accepted it, so I am sure eventually so did the guys on the OL - whether intentionally or otherwise.

We had low expectations of the OL. They delivered on those low expectations.

We didn't reward guys that got better. We let them go.

And we surrounded each lineman with the guys that made mistakes or didn't know what they were doing. Hard to care much in that environment, even for someone WITH a worth ethic - that would sand you down quickly.

It is actually a pretty normal/common compensation method to stop caring and take the path of least resistance when placed in an environment where expectations are low and production isn't really rewarded.

The message we sent was: We will take what we can get from you. But we won't expect much of you.

It doesn't mean Ifedi can't care. But there hasn't been much reason to for a while. He might even turn out good somewhere else but that is a lot of bad habits to unlearn and patterns that have to be broken.

This seems pretty spot on to me. It is also why I think it will take a season for Solari to get things right with this O-Line as it is, or get guys in who can play the positions. My guess is you will see one or two potential starters lose their jobs by the end of this season if they can't turn it around, or don't give a damn.

cheese22

Reaction score
I would much rather hear that he lacks technique but is eager to learn and work over what Cliff said...every day of the week. At his age, attitude will be the hardest thing to change.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":2r3ay3kf said:
pittpnthrs":2r3ay3kf said:
The eye test for Ifedi and Pocic is downright horrifying. I know Cable was the worst, but I'm not sure these two guys can make it regardless of who's coaching them. Man, I hated the Pocic pick. Guess we'll have to wait and see how they do this year to see if it actually was Cable or a true lack of talent.

Care to share your eye test result on Ifedi and Pocic?

What do you want, video of how bad they were? Did you not watch any games last year?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Here's a thread that was just started ranking last years OL. You should be familiar with it since your the one that posted it.

30. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:
Left Tackle: Duane Brown, 77.9 overall grade
Left Guard: Ethan Pocic, 35.7
Center: Justin Britt, 66.9
Right Guard: D.J. Fluker, 42.3
Right Tackle: Germain Ifedi, 48.6

We were ranked 28th after ‘17, main problem seems to be Pocic. Ifedi rated 48.6, no good but hardly the worst.

PPF somehow opined that our OL shall be worse this year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
^ this is probably the worst OL preseason ranking for a unit returning 4 starters that I've ever seen.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24u6scgt said:
Kinda disappointing to read.

Ifedi already has quite a few technique issues to work on..............I'd rather not be reading about him also having mental and attitude deficiencies as well.

And perhaps Avril was not shooting straight when he talked of Ifedi possibly becoming a "beast" on the O-line....

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
The Breh":3n99irxu said:

https://youtu.be/IfmZSkjUadI ("Driving with Gee")

You should watch this. He has a decent personality, sounds like he's immature.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
It is a generational thing. I see it at my workplace. Someone (fellow players) needs to pull him aside and set him straight. The sad thing is that this hasn't already been done. Kids these days start a job and act like they have 30 yrs in.

Jville

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1idvvefq said:
It is a generational thing. I see it at my workplace. Someone (fellow players) needs to pull him aside and set him straight. The sad thing is that this hasn't already been done. Kids these days start a job and act like they have 30 yrs in.

Maybe they are possessed by, among other things, entitlement to personal devices. I've encountered them.They are everywhere parroting what ever comes over their personal devices. I was encouraged by the revelation that the Seahawks shuffled their mix of drafting and acquisition criterion this year. Looking forward to enjoying better results with personnel additions that listen, think and work well with other humans.

I treasure the young ones that have been brought up to think and work. God bless their parents and mentors. We all profit from their work.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
need fant to go ham and push for his spot might wake ifedi up although i think mike will have him better this year

Latest posts