Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hawk1217":15gg4jhb said:
That said let's keep in mind we have 2-3 top guys coming due, Wags, Wilson, and KJ only so much to go around,

Scary thing is Wagner is siding with Earl and his decision to holdout. Could be a sign of things to come.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3i1aocic said:
Hawk1217":3i1aocic said:
That said let's keep in mind we have 2-3 top guys coming due, Wags, Wilson, and KJ only so much to go around,

Scary thing is Wagner is siding with Earl and his decision to holdout. Could be a sign of things to come.

Not really. Wagner said he hoped Earl would come back, but that he understands both sides. Don't expect teammates to trash one another, which would not be productive either.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Actually, there are some interesting quotes from Wagner on the subject that have not exactly proven to be accurate as far as the Seahawks are concerned.
“Do I hope he [Thomas] comes? I do. I hope he comes,” Wagner told Avril. “But, you know, I’m not necessarily focused on that because I understand both sides. I understand wanting him here and I understand the business aspect, which is not good for players.”

“We have contracts that don’t necessarily stay with us all the time, so you have to do what is right for you,” Wagner said. “Because at the end of the day, whenever you done, they don’t care about you.”

“Once you get hurt, once your play goes down, all these different things, the team has full (leverage),” Avril said. “They can let you go, and you don’t see the rest of that money, so when you’re the best thing out there, you better capitalize as much as possible.”

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ess-model/

Marshawn Lynch "retired" for a year and was allowed to keep millions of dollars in signing bonus. Kam Chancellor recently "retired," but he will continue to be paid million of dollars on the payroll over the next two seasons.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The issue is that his interests and the Seahawks interests don’t line up.

He wants one more big contract before he retires.

Because he’s the best player in the league at his position, it’s cheaper for the Seahawks to force him to play out his deal and then to franchise him twice than to give him that contract. After his deal and two franchise tags he’s too old to get the big last contract he wants.

His only recourse is to stay away, or to be so difficult that it’s no longer in the Seahawks interest to not renegotiate or move on from him. The Seahawks are acting within the confines of the CBA just as he is acting within the confines of the CBA.

The problem is that the CBA kinda screws over guys who are the best at their position with one big contract left in them because it’s cheaper to just franchise tag those guys twice, which underpays them (see also Le’Veon Bell).

toffee

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3187sfp6 said:

Because he’s the best player in the league at his position, it’s cheaper for the Seahawks to force him to play out his deal and then to franchise him twice than to give him that contract. After his deal and two franchise tags he’s too old to get the big last contract he wants.

His only recourse is to stay away, or to be so difficult that it’s no longer in the Seahawks interest to not renegotiate or move on from him. The Seahawks are acting within the confines of the CBA just as he is acting within the confines of the CBA.

The problem is that the CBA kinda screws over guys who are the best at their position with one big contract left in them because it’s cheaper to just franchise tag those guys twice, which underpays them (see also Le’Veon Bell).

More like his interests and his tactic/actions don't line up. He devalued his brand, limited his market appeal, and made himself the high risk, flat reward proposition to 30 GM/HCs in the league. He needs a branding publicist, and start listening to his agent, oh, stop opening his mouth helps.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2zhd5pw9 said:

I followed along every step of the way up until that very last sentence. Given that this former #1 draft pick has already seen checks totaling 50.7 million dollars, I just can't gabble with the notion that he has somehow been screwed. :177692: Now if the subject were a late blooming undrafted player facing his last opportunity to secure a big contract, that I could empathize and get my mind around.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ The last sentence is about how in practice the franchise tag pays below market rate for the top player at a position. That’s particularly the case for guys going into their last big deal, and to add, also particularly the case in a rising cap era like we’re in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trrrroy":30vawltp said:
PlinytheCenter":30vawltp said:
vin.couve12":30vawltp said:
Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.

It doesn't appear (at least at this stage) that the want is reciprocal. I love Earl and what he has meant to the Hawks but if he doesn't want to be here trade him.

The Seahawks have to get adequate value in return for trade to make sense, though. By just waiting this thing out the Seahawks are all but assured having Earl patrol the back end for the majority of this season, a third round compensetory pick when he signs a huge FA deal next off season, and they get to avoid making a bad precedent for future players.

Unless someone offers the value of at least a low second round pick it doesn't make sense to move him, IMO.
BINGO! Exactly!

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
toffee":qisqi9bw said:
Jimjones0384":qisqi9bw said:
Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.
Earl knows what he wants!
How so? "I'm retiring....nevermind." "Come get me Dallas...... I want to be a Seahawk for life." Yeah, sounds like it

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2x1wura7 said:

What is with this ‘if you don’t want me talk? Players getting ahead of themselves these days. If players aren’t extended early and resetting the market for their position or the nfl they feel ‘disrespected’.

Even if we don’t extend at the number he wants, that doesn’t mean the team doesn’t want him.

The end of LOB is a sad, pathetic tale.

toffee

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":307goor1 said:
toffee":307goor1 said:
Jimjones0384":307goor1 said:
Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.
Earl knows what he wants!
How so? "I'm retiring....nevermind." "Come get me Dallas...... I want to be a Seahawk for life." Yeah, sounds like it

Earl wants to be the highest paid FS as a cowgirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I am SO tired of him saying how much of an underdog he is and wanting respect and all that crap. His current contract, at the time he signed it, made him the highest-paid safety in the NFL. That's top-dog respect.

The fact that players have signed contracts after him that make them higher paid does NOTHING to diminish the fact that we made him the highest-paid safety at the time.

I hate to say it because I understand how critical the safety position is to a defense and I understand how exceptional Thomas is, but his attitude is becoming a big problem with me, and I can't expect that it is playing any better with his teammates.

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251":3gjgosod said:
vin.couve12":3gjgosod said:
Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

Truth is public opinion and media pressure as well as keeping it a topic is pressure.

He is just keeping himself in the headlines hoping to make something happen, he does not understand it makes his case as a disguruntled problem child stronger and drives his value down all the more for whomever does sign him to his next contract.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":12ubhpwa said:
chris98251":12ubhpwa said:
vin.couve12":12ubhpwa said:

Truth is public opinion and media pressure as well as keeping it a topic is pressure.

He is just keeping himself in the headlines hoping to make something happen, he does not understand it makes his case as a disguruntled problem child stronger and drives his value down all the more for whomever does sign him to his next contract.

This.

Dude badly need a professional publicist, and start listening to his agent. Earl must understand he ain’t Sherm, he didn’t have Sheri’s smart in promoting his brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Yawwwnnn...this guy wants out bad. Not sure why we cant dump him for a draft pick from some team. I'm guessing his market value is too low at present time. The rebuild is on and he doesn't want to be here.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Mmmmhmm. Writing is and has been on the wall. Hawks need to take the best offer and move on. Doesn't matter who it is.